OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Re: Colorado wolves [Re: soooo] #8829148 04/05/23 06:22 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Have you seen how all this wolf stuff came about in CO?

ballot biology. They voted it in. They will do the same thing on wolf management. There will never be legal hunting in CO of wolves unless its scientifically proven Wolves are Racist, Trans targeting Conservative voters.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Colorado wolves [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8829151 04/05/23 06:24 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Have you seen how all this wolf stuff came about in CO?

ballot biology. They voted it in. They will do the same thing on wolf management. There will never be legal hunting in CO of wolves unless its scientifically proven Wolves are Racist, Trans targeting Conservative voters.

Agree^^^^

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Colorado wolves [Re: soooo] #8829232 04/05/23 09:16 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Wyoming is drug into this because we shoot wolves as predators without limits on our side of that common state line.
Biodiversity Conserv. whatever is suing Wyoming to make us stop hunting wolves near Northern Co.
Wyoming folks have taken some of their collared wolves and yes they have been around for a few years now and don't need help expanding their range.

Matter of time before we see one or some in the canyon at the ranch.

They have made it clear, no hunting of wolves at all in their preferred plan in Colorado.

Re: Colorado wolves [Re: soooo] #8829282 04/05/23 10:58 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Shoot em all!! OK ask me how I feel.

"They have made it clear, no hunting of wolves at all in their preferred plan in Colorado."

They'll change their mind when there are no more deer or elk to hunt and they come to town looking for dogs & cats.

Last edited by angus1956; 04/05/23 11:01 PM.
Re: Colorado wolves [Re: soooo] #8829358 04/06/23 01:28 AM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I saw two wolves the first morning out this year on our elk hunt near Walden,Co.
One was black the other was grey but they were too far to see if they had collars.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Colorado wolves [Re: soooo] #8829372 04/06/23 01:53 AM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Hunters can help

Re: Colorado wolves [Re: soooo] #8829490 04/06/23 01:05 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
The best places I've hunted were loaded with wolves.

Re: Colorado wolves [Re: SherpaPhil] #8829498 04/06/23 01:30 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by SherpaPhil

best places Ive hunted in Idaho and WY died with wolves. Are some of those places still good in perception to someone who maybe has no historical reference yes, but those units are not near what they use to be.

You are most likely judging something with no historical context. You cant argue with historical facts including tag losses.

I've hunted or help with hunts all over the US past 30 years

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Colorado wolves [Re: SherpaPhil] #8829534 04/06/23 02:16 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W

Maybe we can load some up and dump them in your favorite hunting spot in Texas with no legal way to control them, sound good?

Re: Colorado wolves [Re: SherpaPhil] #8829548 04/06/23 02:36 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

If the best places you have hunted were loaded with wolves you must have been in some pretty rough places prior.

When wolves factor into the equation its a known fact that pretty much every other 4 legged animal suffers, with the possible exception of Bears.

I hunt Colorado every year or every other year....I don't want Wolves there. The Elk and Mule deer are already suffering due to winters, habitat loss and excessive harvest in some units, now they want to introduce Wolves? Asinine.....

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Colorado wolves [Re: soooo] #8829554 04/06/23 02:51 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Wolves have provided for changes in elk behavior and have had the tendency to decimate moose populations. The primary wildlife beneficiary of the reintroduction of wolves has been trout fishing. Interesting how that worked out and, from memory, was not forecast.

Re: Colorado wolves [Re: angus1956] #8829604 04/06/23 04:11 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted by angus1956
Shoot em all!!

The wolves, or the brainless, or both?

Re: Colorado wolves [Re: txtrophy85] #8829607 04/06/23 04:17 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

If the best places you have hunted were loaded with wolves you must have been in some pretty rough places prior.

When wolves factor into the equation its a known fact that pretty much every other 4 legged animal suffers, with the possible exception of Bears.

I hunt Colorado every year or every other year....I don't want Wolves there. The Elk and Mule deer are already suffering due to winters, habitat loss and excessive harvest in some units, now they want to introduce Wolves? Asinine.....

dont forget bear predation. Reason they dropped bear tags down to $100 and upped quota and tags

Re: Colorado wolves [Re: soooo] #8829610 04/06/23 04:24 PM
B
blancobuster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
[Linked Image]

The problem is zero sum politics and uneducated urban populations. I sat through the comment session in Rifle and heard a gentleman in his 60s from up valley bemoan the biodiversity and climate crisis, and go on to state that wolves are the solution and he could give two **** about a rancher trying to make a living. There is a total detachment from reality for these folks. I agree with him that we have major issues with biodiversity and climate, but zero sum attitudes do not bring about workable solutions. These environmental groups (wild earth guardians etc) s*** all over the wolf plan that was produced by the stakeholder advisory council which included their own stakeholders, how do you like that. I am actually insulted that these groups are even called environmental groups. They sully that description for those of us trying to find workable solutions that provide the most public benefit. Public lands are multi use.

Re: Colorado wolves [Re: soooo] #8829618 04/06/23 04:45 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
sad to see the durango area become what it has

Re: Colorado wolves [Re: soooo] #8829632 04/06/23 05:26 PM
D
Double AC Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
I have not done a ton of western hunting and can’t speak to the impact they have had positive or negative. I do know those that say “shoot them all” are not much different than those that say “save them all”.

I do think wolves and other top predators have a place and a right to exist on the landscape. I also enjoy seeing them the few chances I have. However I don’t think states should be reintroducing them. If they make it on their own like the wolves in N California, awesome. I also think they should be managed and hunting them provides that management opportunity. This issue though, like everything else in today’s world, seems to only get black/white commentary.

Re: Colorado wolves [Re: Double AC] #8829675 04/06/23 07:02 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Double AC
I have not done a ton of western hunting and can’t speak to the impact they have had positive or negative. I do know those that say “shoot them all” are not much different than those that say “save them all”.

I do think wolves and other top predators have a place and a right to exist on the landscape. I also enjoy seeing them the few chances I have. However I don’t think states should be reintroducing them. If they make it on their own like the wolves in N California, awesome. I also think they should be managed and hunting them provides that management opportunity. This issue though, like everything else in today’s world, seems to only get black/white commentary.

This is a valid ideology, and one that the vast majority of hunters support. I as most other also wish the re-introduced wolf sub species, mirrored what was actually on the land scape before and not their larger Northern Canadian counter parts and the pre-agreed upon management plan was upheld by the other side. But like any inch you give with eco terrorist lawyers.

Its funny how the progressive crazies have tried to seal every wolf impact study done. The Frank study showed 60% -80% loss in elk but the eco terrorists got it seal because USFW didnt get proper Helo Authorization from USFW to do the study in Wilderness area

Re: Colorado wolves [Re: Double AC] #8829723 04/06/23 08:27 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

I do think wolves and other top predators have a place and a right to exist on the landscape. .

Exist in what capacity? What number is appropriate? 200 years ago (sounds like a long time but it was only 1823) there was virtually no people on the landscape save for roaming bands of Comanches. And we had Buffalo on the plains. Now there are 1000% more people in the area, and no Buffalo (Every predator ate Buffalo or their carcassas.....literally every one). So people are justifying their existence but don't' take into account all that has changed since their extermination; more human predation and presence, lower numbers of historical prey species, habitat loss/decline, etc.

I would agree in certain landscapes their existence makes sense, but not many areas in the lower 48 that you could argue that having wolves is a good thing for anyone except for the wolf.

Re: Colorado wolves [Re: txtrophy85] #8829735 04/06/23 08:46 PM
B
BigLou Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B

I do think wolves and other top predators have a place and a right to exist on the landscape. .

Exist in what capacity? What number is appropriate? 200 years ago (sounds like a long time but it was only 1823) there was virtually no people on the landscape save for roaming bands of Comanches. And we had Buffalo on the plains. Now there are 1000% more people in the area, and no Buffalo (Every predator ate Buffalo or their carcassas.....literally every one). So people are justifying their existence but don't' take into account all that has changed since their extermination; more human predation and presence, lower numbers of historical prey species, habitat loss/decline, etc.

I would agree in certain landscapes their existence makes sense, but not many areas in the lower 48 that you could argue that having wolves is a good thing for anyone except for the wolf.

Well said! The entire ecosystem today is radically different than the days when wolves were on the landscape. You would have to bull doze every city, tear down every barbed wire fence and replant every farm in native grass to recreate an ecosystem that will support wolves.

I have seen a couple of comments about bears on this thread. I hunted black bears in the Tongass in 2016. Between our group of 6 hunters, we personally witnessed 4 separate instances of wolves attacking the bears we were hunting. on a flat, tree-less grass flat along a beach I had a mature boar run past me at 25 yards huffing and puffing trying to get away from a wolf. I chose to kill the wolf. They are vicious and in my mind (and experience), clearly the apex predator when they function as a pack.

Re: Colorado wolves [Re: txtrophy85] #8829747 04/06/23 09:14 PM
B
blancobuster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

Interestingly, conservation groups in the west are gaining momentum for bison conservation and restoration at the same time that the DOI is looking to make it a priority, especially for BIA lands. It won't move the needle, but conservation and restoration can only go so far with the amount of land use fragmentation that exists even in the west. It is hard for folks to understand how much has been lost. Actually, it is probably impossible since we were not there. What we view as a functional ecosystem now even in a "pristine" setting is likely a fraction of what it was. Plant communities are also wholly different with so much more woody cover than when bison existed.

https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/i...ction-restore-bison-populations-part-new

Re: Colorado wolves [Re: blancobuster] #8829798 04/06/23 10:58 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by blancobuster

Interestingly, conservation groups in the west are gaining momentum for bison conservation and restoration at the same time that the DOI is looking to make it a priority, especially for BIA lands. It won't move the needle, but conservation and restoration can only go so far with the amount of land use fragmentation that exists even in the west. It is hard for folks to understand how much has been lost. Actually, it is probably impossible since we were not there. What we view as a functional ecosystem now even in a "pristine" setting is likely a fraction of what it was. Plant communities are also wholly different with so much more woody cover than when bison existed.

https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/i...ction-restore-bison-populations-part-new

they currently have a huge TB issue to address first. If they would get of the NPS be alot more hunting and bison diversity

Re: Colorado wolves [Re: Wytex] #8829808 04/06/23 11:25 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Wytex

Maybe we can load some up and dump them in your favorite hunting spot in Texas with no legal way to control them, sound good?

That made me laugh!

Re: Colorado wolves [Re: soooo] #8829852 04/07/23 12:47 AM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I guess if you don't have a competitive bone in your body, then this is a go for you. If you believe hunting is good for the general public you should feel differently.

I was hunting one square mile and a hunter on the adjacent lease put up a tripod with a feeder 55 yards from my fence line. I rather politely went over to their camp and made a jerk of myself. Got shown a 45. The feeder was taken down.

We were competing for the same resources. Wolves have an advantage. Plain and simple, if you are for the unnatural wolf reintroduction, you are against western hunting. It is what it is and don't make it about yourself.

Re: Colorado wolves [Re: soooo] #8830178 04/07/23 06:34 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
My beef with wolf introduction is that it’s pushed by people who hardly venture out of the suburbs let alone spend time in wilderness areas. They propose then vote on a topic they have no firsthand knowledge about.

Kinda like bartenders who got voted into the house that tell us the best ways to be environmentally friendly…..

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide