Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Might be my all time...... #8827409 04/02/23 07:58 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Still targeting big lone boars. Corn out at about10:30 PM, I'm on is first light the next morning and so was he. 180 yards, 129 gr. SST, 6.5 Creedmoor. About 90% of the boars I shoot is with .308, 165 gr. SST. This one died just like those, right there. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This big boy makes that feed sack, 45 qt cooler and rifle look microscopic.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Might be my all time...... [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8827415 04/02/23 08:27 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Did you happen to weigh him?

Re: Might be my all time...... [Re: GusWayne] #8827421 04/02/23 08:35 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by GusWayne
Did you happen to weigh him?

No, I need to start carrying scales for my game hoist that attaches to my ranger. Those Panhandle pigs typically don't get as heavy relative to East Texas pigs. I kill a bunch that are tall, lean, heavy frame with huge heads but just not as heavy as the same size frame as pigs from other parts. This big boy had to cover a lot of miles per day just to find enough food to sustain himself.

Re: Might be my all time...... [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8827427 04/02/23 08:53 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
We just use a tape measure to get a good ballpark assessment of the weight. It is a whole lot less work than hoisting on a scale and is reliable.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Might be my all time...... [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8827480 04/02/23 10:51 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
That's a bigboy. Nice kill.

I like to watch for the sounders...they seem to be more predictable than the lone boars IME, but I sure won't pass up a chance to kill the lone boars.

I've always wondered about hogs that stay away from the sounders. I've seen some larger sows that seem to avoid crowds, but most were boars, I think. I wonder if they're just unsociable individuals that choose a solitary lifestyle, or the other pigs have rejected them? I guess I could google it, but it's more fun to just talk about it.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Might be my all time...... [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8827533 04/02/23 11:58 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I’ve read that the lone boars are often called “cruisers” by some folks. They roam. I think I have one on this place now.

The OP sure killed a big one. Sure like to know the weight.

Last edited by 603Country; 04/02/23 11:59 PM.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Might be my all time...... [Re: RiverRider] #8827736 04/03/23 12:33 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by RiverRider

I like to watch for the sounders...they seem to be more predictable than the lone boars IME, but I sure won't pass up a chance to kill the lone boars.

I've always wondered about hogs that stay away from the sounders. I've seen some larger sows that seem to avoid crowds, but most were boars, I think. I wonder if they're just unsociable individuals that choose a solitary lifestyle, or the other pigs have rejected them? I guess I could google it, but it's more fun to just talk about it.

I think they've honed their instincts from many years of survival. It's easier to slip around undetected alone rather than running with a sounder. They don't need the protection of a sounder and aren't about to share a food source with a sounder. To breed they hit it and quit it, go back to the single life. This old boy was OLD. Just a couple of months ago I shot two other lone boars that were smaller, and actually had longer cutters. I think the boar I shot this past weekend boar was older than the other two shown here, as his cutters on were wearing down. Other two were big, but this one, bigger. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The two pictured together were shot two days apart, just went back and loaded together after shooting the second for a group photo. All in this post were from the same set up. Tells me it's a good territory with lots of what boars want, and that territory isn't shared since I never see more than one of boars like this hanging around together like the members of a sounder do.

Last edited by onlysmith&wesson; 04/03/23 12:37 PM.

Re: Might be my all time...... [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8827816 04/03/23 02:17 PM
B
Big Sam Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
B
Well done Sir! Or to paraphrase and old move.... You're gonna need a bigger cooler!"

"Group think" is not thinking. It is the lack of independent thought. It is a cancer of the mind.
Re: Might be my all time...... [Re: Big Sam] #8827820 04/03/23 02:22 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Big Sam
Well done Sir! Or to paraphrase and old move.... You're gonna need a bigger cooler!"

Thanks, but the only thing that goes in that cooler is beer, water and lunch.

Re: Might be my all time...... [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8827849 04/03/23 03:14 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Even so, if you're putting beer in it then a bigger cooler might be good.

cheers

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Might be my all time...... [Re: RiverRider] #8827855 04/03/23 03:19 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Even so, if you're putting beer in it then a bigger cooler might be good.

cheers

Point taken.

Re: Might be my all time...... [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8828287 04/04/23 05:11 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

I think they've honed their instincts from many years of survival. It's easier to slip around undetected alone rather than running with a sounder. They don't need the protection of a sounder and aren't about to share a food source with a sounder. To breed they hit it and quit it, go back to the single life. This old boy was OLD. Just a couple of months ago I shot two other lone boars that were smaller, and actually had longer cutters. I think the boar I shot this past weekend boar was older than the other two shown here, as his cutters on were wearing down. Other two were big, but this one, bigger. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The two pictured together were shot two days apart, just went back and loaded together after shooting the second for a group photo. All in this post were from the same set up. Tells me it's a good territory with lots of what boars want, and that territory isn't shared since I never see more than one of boars like this hanging around together like the members of a sounder do.

I can smell those nasty things from here. barf

[Linked Image]
Re: Might be my all time...... [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8828529 04/04/23 05:36 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Nice one! So hard to tell in pics, but I like to take a guess on weight anyways. My 'shooting from the hip' guess is 265-275.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: Might be my all time...... [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8828709 04/04/23 10:58 PM
Theblakester Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Sshhhheeeeeeeeeee!!!! That’s a biggun’

Fast paced gregarious society forgets the healing power of solitude. It's worked thousands of years. Casting a line/gazing into a campfire/sitting in a blind after a long week is medicine for the soul. The serenity and peacefulness of it all is majestic.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide