Print Thread
Safer Schools #8826106 03/30/23 06:43 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
In recent discussions on here about the recent school shooting, I think I cam up with a great idea for making the schools safer. Feel free to shoot holes in my theory and offer differing opinions. My thought is that officers on campus, although they might not stop these things from happening, will save lives simply by cutting the response time WAY down. I have heard the argument that we don't have funds to put an SRO in all schools. What if we put an office space in every school that is open to any patrol officer or detective at any time to stop in and do paperwork. Or have lunch...maybe even cater free lunches for officers. LEOs, how much of your shift is spent on paperwork? and lunches? Maybe you would not end up with full coverage, but there would be a much greater Police Presence at the schools.

If you have an idea, let's hear it.

Re: Safer Schools [Re: unclebubba] #8826123 03/30/23 07:06 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
How many people die in school shootings each year?

Re: Safer Schools [Re: Sneaky] #8826129 03/30/23 07:19 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by Sneaky

Too many.

Re: Safer Schools [Re: unclebubba] #8826132 03/30/23 07:30 PM
texasag93 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Park a retired (not too old) police car in front of the school. Move it regularly.

Our schools were one of the first in the nation to train staff and teachers and allow them to carry.

Argyle ISD.

Re: Safer Schools [Re: unclebubba] #8826136 03/30/23 07:34 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I just went to the local HS to pick up the neighbor’s kid and take him to the eye doctor. I had to stand on the X in front of the camera, push a button, introduce myself and state why I was there. Took a while. Two layers of security doors between me and the inside of the school. I was not allowed inside, though I didn’t need to be.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Safer Schools [Re: unclebubba] #8826215 03/30/23 10:23 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
There's a lot of combat vets out there who could use a good paying job and would have no problem running to the gun fire

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Safer Schools [Re: 603Country] #8826394 03/31/23 04:37 AM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 603Country
I just went to the local HS to pick up the neighbor’s kid and take him to the eye doctor. I had to stand on the X in front of the camera, push a button, introduce myself and state why I was there. Took a while. Two layers of security doors between me and the inside of the school. I was not allowed inside, though I didn’t need to be.

What were those doors made of? My kids school uses a very similar system that I was previously impressed by. I looked today, and the doors look like glass just like in Nashville.

Re: Safer Schools [Re: unclebubba] #8826876 04/01/23 05:09 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by unclebubba

Too many.

If even one child dies in a shooting it is a horrible tragedy but it is a very valid point. I think the worst year in history there were 61 deaths in school shootings. No doubt that is terrible but every year in recent history over 1,000 children die in automobile crashes, around 900 die from drowning, and I am sure there are many other causes that kill more than school shootings.

None of these things are really easy to solve but if you just reduced the number that die due to car crashes or drowning by 10% you would save more children than if you stopped 100% of the school shootings.

I am not saying we shouldn’t do something I am just saying if the goal is saving children’s lives you could likely save more by focusing your efforts elsewhere. The other causes just don’t get the headlines like school shootings do even though they claim far more lives.

Re: Safer Schools [Re: Sewer rat] #8826885 04/01/23 11:13 AM
N.Tx Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by Sewer rat

Too many.

If even one child dies in a shooting it is a horrible tragedy but it is a very valid point. I think the worst year in history there were 61 deaths in school shootings. No doubt that is terrible but every year in recent history over 1,000 children die in automobile crashes, around 900 die from drowning, and I am sure there are many other causes that kill more than school shootings.

None of these things are really easy to solve but if you just reduced the number that die due to car crashes or drowning by 10% you would save more children than if you stopped 100% of the school shootings.

I am not saying we shouldn’t do something I am just saying if the goal is saving children’s lives you could likely save more by focusing your efforts elsewhere. The other causes just don’t get the headlines like school shootings do even though they claim far more lives.

I think the focus is more towards controlling the controlables. Accidents happen and always will, but schools don’t always have to be vulnerable.

Re: Safer Schools [Re: unclebubba] #8826968 04/01/23 02:52 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
In recent discussions on here about the recent school shooting, I think I cam up with a great idea for making the schools safer. Feel free to shoot holes in my theory and offer differing opinions. My thought is that officers on campus, although they might not stop these things from happening, will save lives simply by cutting the response time WAY down. I have heard the argument that we don't have funds to put an SRO in all schools. What if we put an office space in every school that is open to any patrol officer or detective at any time to stop in and do paperwork. Or have lunch...maybe even cater free lunches for officers. LEOs, how much of your shift is spent on paperwork? and lunches? Maybe you would not end up with full coverage, but there would be a much greater Police Presence at the schools.

If you have an idea, let's hear it.

I like the idea. Anything to get more Police presence on campus will surely help.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Safer Schools [Re: N.Tx] #8827223 04/02/23 03:57 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by E.TX.JMart

I think the focus is more towards controlling the controlables. Accidents happen and always will, but schools don’t always have to be vulnerable.

How many of those accidents were preventable? How many were not wearing seatbelts? How many were not in proper car seats? How many was speeding an issue? How many drownings were due to not having life jackets? How many due to improper supervision? Increased education and awareness could likely reduce the numbers of deaths.

There are something like 131,000 schools in the US. You have no idea which school is going to be the next target so it would be a massive undertaking to implement whatever it is at all of them.

I have two kids. One is a 6th grader and the other started college this year. Between the two of them and their events I have been in a dozen schools and all of them had pretty reasonable security protocols in place. Were any of the schools Fort Knox? No but I never left any of them thinking wow they should be doing more. I think arming teachers that want to be armed and have proper training is great. Having a cop at each school is great. I am not saying anything that could help is a bad idea I am just saying as horrific as they are school shootings kill far less kids than many other things and if the goal was to save lives I think efforts on other things could save more.

Re: Safer Schools [Re: unclebubba] #8827278 04/02/23 02:03 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
This is real simple…..my kids school district had a police officer assigned to every school and locked doors with security cameras….. my kids never once said they felt like they were in prison……before the football stadium gets built you pay for security and law enforcement…..

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Safer Schools [Re: unclebubba] #8827342 04/02/23 04:51 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
You gotta stop thinking like law abiding people. Criminals dont think like that, so think outside the box.

The only way to prevent deaths in school is to close schools 100%, so the idea of stopping all school killings is not going to happen in the US society with all its gang related fighting and issues.

However, lots of good out of the box ideas are out there. Some simple fixed could make things much safer.

Re: Safer Schools [Re: unclebubba] #8827346 04/02/23 05:06 PM
Payne Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Online Shocked
Cat Herder
The public schools here are elementary, jr high and high school all on one campus. There are six of these signs all around the campus.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Safer Schools [Re: unclebubba] #8827351 04/02/23 05:27 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Only way to stop school shooting is to weed out the rejects early on. Feed them to great white sharks before they are old enough to carry out a shooting. If your a loaner, bad grades, claim to be another sex besides what you were born, cause problems throw them off a cliff. Parents go with them.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide