Print Thread
New MLB rules #8826281 03/31/23 12:33 AM
D
DukeCigars Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Saw it coming with the intro in AAA last year, but didn’t expect this many changes to be implemented this year. The only other change I saw in AAA was with pitchers - a relief pitcher had to finish the inning. Couldn’t have 1 pitcher per batter type ordeal

My main curiosity was the implications/penalties. First time baseball has had penalties like these, but the article brings up interesting points, I.e. 2021 having the lowest league average batting average since 1968. Initially the changes seemed to address not wanting a 5-6 hour game…but some of these rules are looking to change up the behaviors that became commonplace the last several years

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...lock-end-shift-bigger-bases?platform=amp

What do y’all think

Car guy. Serial entrepreneur. Terrible golfer.
Re: New MLB rules [Re: DukeCigars] #8826291 03/31/23 12:56 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
We shall see. If the rules can make a game more interesting, I might not wait until the WS to watch.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: New MLB rules [Re: DukeCigars] #8826294 03/31/23 01:02 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Its already hard to ump baseball but this really makes it hard. Of course, its harder on the players also. I dont have a strong opinion.
Can anyone explain the pickoff rule better than what I read in that article(well written I thought.) It sounds like pitcher can disengage twice and thats it. So after he does that twice, what keeps the runner from taking off on the next pitch. Pitcher cant pick off or step off or do anything but throw to the plate. What am I missing? I can only assume that he has to be overly careful not to get into that spot which means the runner has a big advantage after that first disengagement. Maybe thats the point. Billy Beane will have to reprogram his base stealing computers.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: New MLB rules [Re: DukeCigars] #8826299 03/31/23 01:15 AM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

I say - so far, so good.
There’s some big questions yet to be resolved but things seem to be going pretty well.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: New MLB rules [Re: freerange] #8826305 03/31/23 01:21 AM
D
DukeCigars Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted by freerange
Its already hard to ump baseball but this really makes it hard. Of course, its harder on the players also. I dont have a strong opinion.
Can anyone explain the pickoff rule better than what I read in that article(well written I thought.) It sounds like pitcher can disengage twice and thats it. So after he does that twice, what keeps the runner from taking off on the next pitch. Pitcher cant pick off or step off or do anything but throw to the plate. What am I missing? I can only assume that he has to be overly careful not to get into that spot which means the runner has a big advantage after that first disengagement. Maybe thats the point. Billy Beane will have to reprogram his base stealing computers.

My understanding is that the pitcher can only do the pickoff/back off twice per inning appearance. I don’t mind this rule, many pitchers would do a fake pickoff several times in a row in late season. I think this rule was put in to also keep pitchers from repeatedly resetting the pitch clock

Re: New MLB rules [Re: DukeCigars] #8826351 03/31/23 02:52 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I heard tonite that pitcher can go to first a 3rd time in an inning, but if runner isn’t tagged out it becomes an automatic balk. Runner gets to advance to the next base.

Re: New MLB rules [Re: DukeCigars] #8826366 03/31/23 03:32 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
I like them

Re: New MLB rules [Re: DukeCigars] #8826368 03/31/23 03:35 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Any new rules about not kneeling during the national anthem? That would be a good one.

Re: New MLB rules [Re: DukeCigars] #8826393 03/31/23 04:31 AM
D
Double AC Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
I don’t like the pitch clock but that’s about it

Re: New MLB rules [Re: DukeCigars] #8826422 03/31/23 11:56 AM
D
Davis300 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Do you still need a home equity loan to attend a game or have they made it affordable for the working class family?

Re: New MLB rules [Re: Davis300] #8826443 03/31/23 12:42 PM
D
DukeCigars Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Davis300
Do you still need a home equity loan to attend a game or have they made it affordable for the working class family?

I’ve got a buddy taking my to a game next Friday, will certainly be able to update on that one LOL

Re: New MLB rules [Re: DukeCigars] #8826459 03/31/23 01:22 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
What's not to like about the rule changes? Faster games with the pitch clock and limited pick-off attempts, more offense with eliminating the shift, and potentially less injuries and more stolen bases with larger bases.

The average game time on Opening Day yesterday was 2:42, compared to 3:11 on Opening Day last year. MLB was broken in some regards and they had to do something to progress the game just as all of the other pro leagues have done over the years.

Re: New MLB rules [Re: Gringo Bling] #8826479 03/31/23 01:49 PM
H
huntingbig8 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
What's not to like about the rule changes? Faster games with the pitch clock and limited pick-off attempts, more offense with eliminating the shift, and potentially less injuries and more stolen bases with larger bases.

The average game time on Opening Day yesterday was 2:42, compared to 3:11 on Opening Day last year. MLB was broken in some regards and they had to do something to progress the game just as all of the other pro leagues have done over the years.

Absolutely, pitch clock is fantastic

Re: New MLB rules [Re: Gringo Bling] #8826489 03/31/23 02:07 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling

Agreed. So far I'm a fan. 18 runs scored in the Rangers opener was a bit offense heavy, but getting it done in 3 hours? Wow what an improvement. 18 run's scored last year would have been a 4 hour game IMO.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: New MLB rules [Re: DukeCigars] #8826497 03/31/23 02:19 PM
D
DukeCigars Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
I can definitely tell the change in the speed of the game. I’m quite interested to see how teams are gonna change up their strategies. Teams like the Astros with a mile long pitching staff won’t be able to have inning with 1 pitcher per batter

For the heavier offense - the infield player rule changes are definitely interesting too. Until the ball leaves the pitchers hand, there must be 2 infielders on either side of second base, and they have to actually be in the infield up until the same time. That’s gonna change a lot of strategies as well. Used to see all the time when a righty would come up who swang early, the majority of the team would pile up on the left side of the field. Gonna be seeing a lot more runs this season and averages going way up

And I agree with the comment that changes were needed. I was most curious last year when they’d talked about the changes as to how the penalties would be placed. It’s not like you get free throws or 5-10 yard penalties, although that would have been hilarious

Re: New MLB rules [Re: DukeCigars] #8826499 03/31/23 02:23 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by DukeCigars
I can definitely tell the change in the speed of the game. I’m quite interested to see how teams are gonna change up their strategies. Teams like the Astros with a mile long pitching staff won’t be able to have inning with 1 pitcher per batter

That rule was already in affect last year.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: New MLB rules [Re: 68rustbucket] #8826523 03/31/23 03:15 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
I heard tonite that pitcher can go to first a 3rd time in an inning, but if runner isn’t tagged out it becomes an automatic balk. Runner gets to advance to the next base.

Thanks 68. That makes more sense. Its still a plus for offense which goes along with what they want. In other words, he CAN disengage a third time but he has to get the guy out. I knew there couldnt be any way a runner could just take off after the second pickoff/disengagement, but that seemed so the way the article presented it.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: New MLB rules [Re: freerange] #8826524 03/31/23 03:17 PM
D
DukeCigars Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D

Thanks 68. That makes more sense. Its still a plus for offense which goes along with what they want. In other words, he CAN disengage a third time but he has to get the guy out. I knew there couldnt be any way a runner could just take off after the second pickoff/disengagement, but that seemed so the way the article presented it.

Agreed, that seems more clear and I like that ruling. Even when the home team pitcher fakes a pick off and steps off several times in a row, it really gets annoying

Re: New MLB rules [Re: DukeCigars] #8826554 03/31/23 03:57 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by DukeCigars

Agreed, that seems more clear and I like that ruling. Even when the home team pitcher fakes a pick off and steps off several times in a row, it really gets annoying

All those moves by the pitcher are designed to keep the runner close. The rule not only speeds up the game but it helps the offense/base running, which is the intention.

Re: New MLB rules [Re: DukeCigars] #8826620 03/31/23 05:42 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Now they just need to add the computer called strike zone.

LETS GO BRANDON
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide