Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Youth League Opening Day [Re: GasGuzzler] #8825069 03/28/23 07:17 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I dont know about State Tball tournies but 28 years ago my sons team won the "State" Tball Championship. Seemed odd at the time that there was only about 6 teams there and they were all from within about an hour. Oh, well, we got the tshirt to prove it and the kids got pizza after game......

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Youth League Opening Day [Re: gtrich94] #8825364 03/29/23 10:52 AM
GasGuzzler Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
State Tournament comment was tongue in cheek.

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Of course we're 4U so have a lot of 3 Year Olds on the team. They basically built sand castles around home plate last practice rofl

In my opinion, kids aren't ready for things like organized sports until they can count to 20, Say the ABC's properly, and clean themselves after going to the restroom. That would eliminate most all of 6U. I, myself would not participate in a league for 3/4 YO's. Then again, my youngest of four kids is 12 years old so there's a lot I won't go back and do again.

Originally Posted by gtrich94
It still seems odd to have an ump there. Pretty much everything you listed could be covered by the coaches on the field just as easily.

By that logic, there is no need for officials in any age group. Why don't parents umpire 12U? Because 12U baseball is a sport and t-ball is a sport based activity?

Pass the gravy.

Re: Youth League Opening Day [Re: GasGuzzler] #8825515 03/29/23 04:05 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Gasguz, I hope you know I was poking fun at them calling it a "State" tourny.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Youth League Opening Day [Re: GasGuzzler] #8825542 03/29/23 04:48 PM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler

Of course we're 4U so have a lot of 3 Year Olds on the team. They basically built sand castles around home plate last practice rofl

In my opinion, kids aren't ready for things like organized sports until they can count to 20, Say the ABC's properly, and clean themselves after going to the restroom. That would eliminate most all of 6U. I, myself would not participate in a league for 3/4 YO's. Then again, my youngest of four kids is 12 years old so there's a lot I won't go back and do again.

My son is only 4 and has been able to do all that for a while now. Although I'm probably raising him a bit different than a lot of parents these days so maybe that has something to do with it or maybe he is just a fast learner like me confused2

My son and 2 other kids are the only ones grasping the directions and are catching grounders and throwing the ball back to me and actually making it to me. They're also the only kids that are grasping the concept of hitting the ball, dropping the bat, and running to 1st.

[Linked Image]

Re: Youth League Opening Day [Re: KRoyal] #8825618 03/29/23 07:05 PM
H
huntingag01 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler

My son is only 4 and has been able to do all that for a while now. Although I'm probably raising him a bit different than a lot of parents these days so maybe that has something to do with it or maybe he is just a fast learner like me confused2

My son and 2 other kids are the only ones grasping the directions and are catching grounders and throwing the ball back to me and actually making it to me. They're also the only kids that are grasping the concept of hitting the ball, dropping the bat, and running to 1st.

Every kid is different. I have coached both my sons, 5 yrs apart starting with 5U. Both raised same way, just has to do with more of their personality traits. My older one is very driven, wants to win and learn and get better. Hard worker. Younger one I see the same skill set, but he isn't driven near as much. So it was a learning curve having one that was always one of the better kids on the field at that age to one that just mixed in as you described the other kids on your sons team.

Also others just develop and catch on later. Seen several that have developed into great players that you wouldn't have bet on at that younger age.

Last edited by huntingag01; 03/29/23 07:07 PM.
Re: Youth League Opening Day [Re: KRoyal] #8825889 03/30/23 11:29 AM
GasGuzzler Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

For sure. That is very common. Most teams have only one or two kids that understand what is happening enough to care. They're usually better.

Parents laugh at the general ineptitude but it's sad to me to see kids being made to do something "fun" they don't even understand.

Each team usually also has one kid that is physically ahead but mentally behind and those are the toughest to coach. This phenomenon repeats at 10 for girls and 12 for boys.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Youth League Opening Day [Re: GasGuzzler] #8826538 03/31/23 03:35 PM
J
jrgocards Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I umped some when I was in college. Mostly 12 and under. Had very little issues with the players or coaches, but the parents would wear me out.

JR

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide