Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? #8820776 03/20/23 02:48 AM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content OP
Bird Herder
OP Online Content
Bird Herder
I have a house next door that I am thinking about renting some through air bnb,
It's a 2 bedroom / 2 bath with both being master bedrooms and master bathrooms with walk in showers, Garden tubs, double sinks, etc.
living room, kitchen & dining room. Rear deck faces lake.
Has 20 x 20 carport. Lake front in a small cove at Cedar Creek Lake. As Long as Lake has water, you can tie boat up to retaining wall and walk 50 ft (up hill a little) to house.

I have more stuff to do to get it ready (new beds, etc.) so I haven't fully committed to renting it at all, just kinda want to hear from others that have done it and maybe have some idea what I'm dealing with.

Also thinking about just selling house (to be moved) and just build me a shop.

How much you think I can rent for? Thinking only offering from Thursday at noon till Sunday at noon for a certain amount as a minimum, then maybe, $100-$150 a night for added nights?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by CCBIRDDOGMAN; 03/20/23 02:58 AM. Reason: added pics

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #8820813 03/20/23 06:20 AM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Looking at VRBO in your area, $150 seems to be the going rate for similar properties. I have some clients that have done it and they have all really liked the experience. According to them, they project the property to be leased 150-180 nights a year.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #8820824 03/20/23 09:10 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Doesn’t hurt to try. You’re coming into the busy months for lake rentals, they do have off seasons as the lake is its biggest draw.

If you don’t want to handle any of it, check out Evolve for property management.

Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #8820830 03/20/23 10:19 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Easy as pie, fix it up a minimum and rent it this summer. That’s going to be the high demand months. If you like what’s happening put a few dollars more in and have at it, if not sell it this fall and build a shop. I sure love my shop. Having electric and water there is a good starting point. Also on the shop, I would go as small as I needed to in my budget to include insulation, bathroom, and a mini-split.

Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #8820926 03/20/23 02:31 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
One of our daughters had a place at Angel Fire and they did the Air BNB thing for a year or two. It brought in good money, but there was a hassle factor to deal with. Having your rental place next door should lower the hassle factor problems. And we have some friends that have a little rental house on their place near here and use Air BNB and make good money off it.

Your place being on the lake should really bring in folks.

We have a small guest house here on our place, and the wife has hinted about Air BNB, but I just don’t want to deal with having strangers inside the fence line.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #8820952 03/20/23 03:01 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Rented many over north texas when we take weekend trips to new lakes, I am usually in charge of boat and let other party do the reservations.

Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #8820985 03/20/23 03:47 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
2 day minimum for weekends seems to be the norm for lake properties.

Last edited by Paluxy; 03/20/23 03:48 PM.
Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #8821022 03/20/23 04:48 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Put out some string lights. Folks like em.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #8821076 03/20/23 06:33 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
A tip for just getting started, price yourself below the market. People book based on pictures and reviews. Anybody can post nice pictures, but top dollar booking are those with a history.

Friend of mine has a condo in Sedona, with all the competition for VRBO’s especially condos, he knew he had to be different. So he included a street legal golf cart in the rental and made his place $15 per night less. He barely gets to use it now as it stays booked

Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #8821087 03/20/23 07:01 PM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Add a fire pit with a nice sitting area and don’t “fee” people to death. I refuse to rent properties that have a ton of fees built in.

Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: bigjoe8565] #8821092 03/20/23 07:12 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by bigjoe8565
Add a fire pit with a nice sitting area and don’t “fee” people to death. I refuse to rent properties that have a ton of fees built in.

I hate Airbnb and VRBO for this reason. I understand taxes are mandatory, but all of the BS cleaning fees and service fees add a ridiculous amount to the total price. It's all BS that these fees which don't appear in the nightly rate and severely inflate the total price when a guest books a property.

Lots of rental places also have the audacity to force guests to do chores at the end of the stay or face additional fees.

Obviously, many vacation destinations don't have enough hotel rooms, but give me a nice hotel over a rental any day. I don't get charged for cleaning or admin and there is an standard of cleanliness, amenities, and service that is maintained. Often, this comes at a price that is much lower than Airbnb or VRBO.

Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #8821101 03/20/23 07:37 PM
B
blkt2 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
I have rented a few and have never had a bad experience. When traveling with 3 dogs hotels are pretty much out of the question.

Trolling? Heck no, I meant every word of it.
Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: Gringo Bling] #8821105 03/20/23 07:52 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling

I hate Airbnb and VRBO for this reason. I understand taxes are mandatory, but all of the BS cleaning fees and service fees add a ridiculous amount to the total price. It's all BS that these fees which don't appear in the nightly rate and severely inflate the total price when a guest books a property.

Lots of rental places also have the audacity to force guests to do chores at the end of the stay or face additional fees.

Obviously, many vacation destinations don't have enough hotel rooms, but give me a nice hotel over a rental any day. I don't get charged for cleaning or admin and there is an standard of cleanliness, amenities, and service that is maintained. Often, this comes at a price that is much lower than Airbnb or VRBO.

That's why it's important to look at the fee details that are disclosed prior to booking.

To be determined
Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #8821115 03/20/23 08:15 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I probably spend 14 days a year in a VBRO. I’ve never had an issue

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #8821116 03/20/23 08:23 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Do it often, just got back from our ski trip, great as always. We had a 3-2-2, about 1800 sf house for my wife and I, three daughters and three grand kids. We always divide it up by room. This was about $140.00 per night for wife and I. Had a full kitchen for breakfast every morning, dinner there a couple of nights....

We've used VRBO/AIRNBnB from Colorado to St. Lucia. Best option for us.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8821117 03/20/23 08:24 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter

That's why it's important to look at the fee details that are disclosed prior to booking.

Yes, that's obvious...the point I'm making is that when browsing properties, there is a nightly rate shown. That nightly rate does not include all of the additional fees until you begin to book the property. So a place that shows up as $200/night in your search can easily become $300/night. Again, exclusive of taxes, when I go to book a hotel room and I see a nightly rate of $200, when I go to book it, I'm not going to get hit with cleaning fees, booking fees, service fees, etc. like I do on Airbnb/VRBO. The exception that I can think of is resort fees. All in all, I've never had a hotel to tell me I need to strip the sheets and take out the trash or I'd be hit w/ fees. And I've never had a hotel charge me a line item fee for cleaning.

Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #8821118 03/20/23 08:28 PM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Stayed at many. As others have said, watch the fees. Some have tried to push the envelope by making you load dishwasher, put sheets in washer. Etc.

Last week, we stayed in a 3 bedroom in Tuscaloosa for sorority weekend. My daughter wanted an unexpected break from her roommates and crashed 1 night with us. They charged us 20 extra bucks because we told them 2 people and 2 beds were used.
It’s a 3 bedroom. Whatever

I agreed to pay it. But told the dude I would responsibly make note of this “fee” in my comment, which I didn’t want to do. He agreed to not be a DB and took off the fee.

Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: Gringo Bling] #8821133 03/20/23 09:07 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter

Yes, that's obvious...the point I'm making is that when browsing properties, there is a nightly rate shown. That nightly rate does not include all of the additional fees until you begin to book the property. So a place that shows up as $200/night in your search can easily become $300/night. Again, exclusive of taxes, when I go to book a hotel room and I see a nightly rate of $200, when I go to book it, I'm not going to get hit with cleaning fees, booking fees, service fees, etc. like I do on Airbnb/VRBO. The exception that I can think of is resort fees. All in all, I've never had a hotel to tell me I need to strip the sheets and take out the trash or I'd be hit w/ fees. And I've never had a hotel charge me a line item fee for cleaning.

Preach!

Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: Gringo Bling] #8821157 03/20/23 10:01 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Every nice hotel I've been to has resort fees, outrageous taxes, and many have parking fees added on top as well.

We use AirBnB/VRBO every chance we get...it's typically cheaper for us for the size we need with a family of 6.

Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: BigPig] #8821159 03/20/23 10:03 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by BigPig
A tip for just getting started, price yourself below the market. People book based on pictures and reviews. Anybody can post nice pictures, but top dollar booking are those with a history.

Friend of mine has a condo in Sedona, with all the competition for VRBO’s especially condos, he knew he had to be different. So he included a street legal golf cart in the rental and made his place $15 per night less. He barely gets to use it now as it stays booked

Great advice here! CC--go for it! Would love to hear how it works out. Another plus, if you ever decide to sell, the STR revenue will add quite a bit of value to the property.

Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #8821162 03/20/23 10:04 PM
S
SR025 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I’d rather stay at a hotel over Airbnb/vrbo besides some of the ridiculous fees or requirements they usually have such cheap Ikea or Walmart crap in these houses or condos.

Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: bigjoe8565] #8821177 03/20/23 10:32 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Good advice. Will their be a place to dock their boat? That seemed important when My neighbor did AIRBNB with theirs.

Don’t let them know you live next door. People will bother you to death…

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #8821216 03/20/23 11:42 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Another option you may be interested in is renting it on a 2-3 year term to someone that’s going to VRBO it. It’s very popular way to generate monthly income, these people generally pay for half the term up front, they are responsible for all repairs that aren’t acts of god, and they generally take pretty good care of the property. Good way to generate true mailbox money while someone else does the dirty work.

Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #8821345 03/21/23 03:58 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Think I shot a few of those docks back in the day with Jigum.

To be determined
Re: Who has rented a house through AIR BNB? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #8821355 03/21/23 05:01 AM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
I beat you to it CCBIRDMAN, I just listed my guest house on VRBO and will see how it goes. I plan on offering discounts to THF friends and family that book directly with me.

https://www.vrbo.com/3312745

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide