Print Thread
Wyoming wildlife and winter #8815895 03/10/23 07:02 PM
W
Wytex Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Not sure of you all are keeping track but winter is shaping up to be a real brute this year.
Deer and pronghorn are really suffering and some elk too now.
Tag numbers are getting reduced in many areas for deer and pronghorn.
Not good timing for those looking to burn PPs and get out of the game in Wyoming.

90/10 for the regular 3 has not passed, elk, deer and antelope but talk of it has NRs looking to use their PPs sooner than later.
The license fee increase is really over the top, most resident did not support it but it passed so many are looking to use PP this year.
If you have the means to afford the higher price tags, I might wait a year or 2 for populations to rebound.
Special draw odds should be better after the price increase so I hope many DIY hunters go that route for the draw and get your tags.

For those applying this year wait until quotas are out in April, might be some areas with very few NR tags and much shorter seasons.

Re: Wyoming wildlife and winter [Re: Wytex] #8816362 03/11/23 03:40 PM
E
ElkOne Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
E
Thanks for the info, appreciate it up

ElkOne
Re: Wyoming wildlife and winter [Re: Wytex] #8816505 03/11/23 07:41 PM
J
JB1316 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted by Wytex
Not sure of you all are keeping track but winter is shaping up to be a real brute this year.
Deer and pronghorn are really suffering and some elk too now.
Tag numbers are getting reduced in many areas for deer and pronghorn.
Not good timing for those looking to burn PPs and get out of the game in Wyoming.

90/10 for the regular 3 has not passed, elk, deer and antelope but talk of it has NRs looking to use their PPs sooner than later.
The license fee increase is really over the top, most resident did not support it but it passed so many are looking to use PP this year.
If you have the means to afford the higher price tags, I might wait a year or 2 for populations to rebound.
Special draw odds should be better after the price increase so I hope many DIY hunters go that route for the draw and get your tags.

For those applying this year wait until quotas are out in April, might be some areas with very few NR tags and much shorter seasons.

Thanks for the update Wytex. My dad & I have been building points for a few years to go out with my son. Dad's getting really close to the end of his adventure capable years, so I was really hoping this would have been the year to go out. Will need to pay close attention to this one.

Last edited by JB1316; 03/11/23 07:42 PM.
Re: Wyoming wildlife and winter [Re: Wytex] #8816521 03/11/23 08:35 PM
D
Daniel Boone Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
D
Same here. I have a boat load of points for deer and antelope (used my elk points a couple of years ago successfully) and had really planned on an antelope hunt this year. I have been following this pretty closely and have about decided to wait until next year because I am afraid excessive point creep may keep me from drawing a good unit. Unfortunately when you get to my age, you never know what next year is going to hold.

Re: Wyoming wildlife and winter [Re: Wytex] #8816590 03/12/23 12:44 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I wasn't going build pronghorn points in Wyoming again after I burned them all in 2021. But I'm thinking with the proposed fee increases and in spite of the bad winters many will burn points these next couple years. Four years from now I might get to hunt a fair unit or start plugging away at a decent unit with the idea to draw in the next ten years. The good thing about pronghorn, if you can still walk you'll have a decent chance to get in range.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Wyoming wildlife and winter [Re: Wytex] #8816909 03/12/23 06:58 PM
W
Wytex Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
There will be some good bucks this year for pronghorn but knowing how many tags is the issue.
Many areas will be very reduced and depends if some NRs opt to not apply due to that or just go ahead and burn those PPs.
Next year would be best bet but with the price increase, this winter has thrown a real wrench into those wanting to get out of the PP game in Wyoming.

We've decided to put in for pronghorn here closer to our hometown due to the winter over where we usually hunt. The area near here is not as bad over the whole area, been seeing some nice bucks already. Drove through part yesterday and some bare ground but parts are buried in deep snow.
Saw signs of herds moving through while we were gone. They have some good ground now but if we get another deep late snow it will be brutal on them too.

Had we had a crystal ball maybe those license fee increases should have gone into affect in another 2 years or so.
I do feel for you NRs trying to get a quality animal before it gets too expensive and harder to draw.

Saw about 50 mule deer wintering next door to the ranch, they have good clear areas right now for browse in our little part of the state.

One silver lining, maybe great moisture for the range this summer.

Re: Wyoming wildlife and winter [Re: Wytex] #8817144 03/13/23 01:54 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Wytex, what’s the prognosis for the upland birds after this rough winter?

Re: Wyoming wildlife and winter [Re: 68rustbucket] #8817326 03/13/23 03:09 PM
W
Wytex Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Wytex, what’s the prognosis for the upland birds after this rough winter?

Kind of hard to say right now. Lots of deep snow all over except in a few wind blown areas.

We have season setting meetings coming up this month so I'll try to ask how they are fairing.
We have seen sage grouse out in the winter range and the sage was all; covered in snow.
Lots of the pheasants are farm raised so they may be ok.
We were seeing 2 coveys of huns on the ranch but haven't lately, they may well be just over the ridge from where we can get right now though.

I'll sure try to get some info for you at the meeting on March 23.
This is a busy time for biologists but you may email the one where you like to hunt birds and ask too:
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Law-Enforcement/Field-Personnel-Contact-Info/biologist-contact-info

Re: Wyoming wildlife and winter [Re: Wytex] #8817344 03/13/23 04:05 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
We put in for our cow elk licenses this year and should draw. This may be the last year for us with all the $$$ increases.
I have 12 deer points and 5 antelope points and will focus on these next year. Still dreaming of a giant Mule deer on the wall.

Re: Wyoming wildlife and winter [Re: Wytex] #8817368 03/13/23 04:45 PM
W
Wytex Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Elk hunting should be great this year, lots of water for the range.
Might have cows spread out but we have plenty to hunt.

If we can get winter to let go before another deep snow, some areas will be ok. March and April are always iffy months though.
The ranch is in an area with no so much deep snow, saw about 50-60 mule deer on Saturday as we drove in.
They have been ranging all over the neighboring properties too though.
Might be a few more sheds on the ranch with the open ground up there but didn't see a ton of big bucks last Fall.

Pronghorn bounce back pretty well, they have lots of twins and even a few triplets every year. Mule deer will take longer , might have a hole in the population for certain aged deer after this year.
Could be some really nice pronghorn bucks this year in certain areas.
Talked with a gal that drove down from Casper yesterday and said snow was not too bad where she drove, a good pronghorn area for DIY hunting. Other areas near Casper though are buried and really hurting.
We're adjusting our antelope app this year, if we apply at all.
Meeting will have some info for us on areas to the West and outside of the Laramie valley.

Re: Wyoming wildlife and winter [Re: Wytex] #8817794 03/14/23 01:59 PM
H
hollidayHunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I'll be headed up there at the end of April/1st of May to do a public land bear hunt. I haven't seen or heard anything about the fees going up for black bear. Hoping I don't get a surprise when I get ready to buy my tag. Y'all stay warm up there!

That's my $.02. Here's you're change!!
Re: Wyoming wildlife and winter [Re: Wytex] #8817814 03/14/23 02:24 PM
W
Wytex Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
No increase on those sir.
It will be snowy yet I bet though. Lots of snow up in mountains, down lower is getting less.
First grizz has emerged in Yellowstone area but they are early usually.

We have some color phased bears so best of luck, been trying to get one myself.

Re: Wyoming wildlife and winter [Re: Wytex] #8817818 03/14/23 02:30 PM
W
Wytex Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Next week is our season setting meetings across the state for licenses allocations this year.
I'll post up the quotas likely set and any info I have on conditions and populations around our area and other parts of the state.

Going to be less pronghorn licenses and deer I'm pretty sure, winter kill is bad in some areas.

This winter is shaping up to be a "normal" one for us. Like years past and it always has an impact on some animals.
Pronghorn will bounce back faster due to twin fawns etc and deer will take another couple of years and may have a hole in the population where the 1-3 year olds should be.
Some elk have been affected but not near like deer and antelope.

It will be interesting to see what the quotas are for antelope and deer, antelope will be significantly less tags I'm thinking.

Re: Wyoming wildlife and winter [Re: Wytex] #8818836 03/16/23 04:41 AM
B
Buschy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Thank you for the update Wytex. I am in for limited elk in the special draw with max points this year. Hoping to pull my tag!

Re: Wyoming wildlife and winter [Re: Buschy] #8820161 03/18/23 06:43 PM
R
Reata Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
As always, thanks for the updates!

Re: Wyoming wildlife and winter [Re: Wytex] #8820174 03/18/23 07:11 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I talked to a really nice retired WY GW yesterday for a few hours in Denver, said Northern WY is hurting with some pretty big die offs on the elk side which means deer are really getting hammered. He was out of Sheridan

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Wyoming wildlife and winter [Re: Wytex] #8820460 03/19/23 03:16 PM
W
Wytex Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Hadn't heard of the elk kill, that is not good.
Deer and antelope are getting hit hard in areas.

Good thing about the elk is we were over population objectives in many areas, maybe they will not get knocked back numbers wise to badly. Lots of cow tags with fewer restrictions this year.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide