Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Intermittent Fasting. #8819899 03/18/23 04:30 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Any of y’all had any experience?

I have a couple very fit friends who swear by it. They got in a debate with another friend who called it junk. Said it is simply caloric restriction. Others said it had to due with controlling insulin.

All had good points. I have no idea who to believe.

Thoughts.

Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8819900 03/18/23 04:55 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I would say meh. I eat @ 6pm then not again until noon most every day and my weight has stayed the same.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8819907 03/18/23 06:19 AM
B
BayouGuy Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
I'm 78 years old. Back in 2018 my cardiologist told me I was on track for an early death and recommended I look into the work of Dr. Jason Fung regarding intermittent fasting. He's the author of the book The Obesity Code. That was perhaps the best advice I have ever received from a doctor.

Dr. Fung’s explanation as to why diet plans based on low fat and reduced calories do not work. His description of the cycle of losing weight for a month or two then gaining it right back was the story of my life. More importantly, his explanation of how and why intermittent fasting overcomes that failed diet syndrome made perfect sense.

After considering how some of the various intermittent fasting options fit my personal lifestyle, I embarked on a program that involved fasting on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The first week was a bit tough. The second week wasn't so bad. The third week wasn't a problem at all. I chose a pretty tough plan, but one of the beauties of intermittent fasting is that you can design a plan that fits your lifestyle.

So, what happened? When I began the intermittent fasting program I weighed 244 lbs. (I’m 5’9”). Six months later I was at 191 lbs. As my weight began to decrease so did my blood pressure. By the second week into the program I began to experience slight dizziness due to lowering blood pressure. I began cutting back on my blood pressure medication. By the fifth week I totally eliminated all blood pressure medication. My home resting BP readings are now consistently below 130 systolic and 75 diastolic. I sleep better, have more energy and feel better overall than I did before the fasting program. I still fast every Tuesday and Thursday. That's about a 36 hour fast twice a week (from dinner Monday night until breakfast Wednesday morning, and dinner Wednesday night until breakfast Friday morning. The rest of the week I eat like a teenager - anything I want whenever I want. It works for me.

Fung's book is a bit of a hard read. But he has a six-part lecture series on YouTube based on the principles in his book that I highly recommend.

Here's the first video in the series. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpllomiDMX0)

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #8819908 03/18/23 06:22 AM
B
BayouGuy Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
I would say meh. I eat @ 6pm then not again until noon most every day and my weight has stayed the same.

Actually, that is intermittent fasting. You're fasting for 18 hours every day. A very sensible plan for many people.

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8819913 03/18/23 07:26 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Any of y’all had any experience?

I have a couple very fit friends who swear by it. They got in a debate with another friend who called it junk. Said it is simply caloric restriction. Others said it had to due with controlling insulin.

All had good points. I have no idea who to believe.

Thoughts.

It works, Personal experience

Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: BayouGuy] #8819914 03/18/23 07:27 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by BayouGuy
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER

Actually, that is intermittent fasting. You're fasting for 18 hours every day. A very sensible plan for many people.

up

100% agree.........

Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8820631 03/19/23 10:28 PM
L
LoneStarSon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I've done intermittent fasting since 9/1/21. It does not work as advertised, as many studies have proven, the largest of which finished up last year. I know personally, I lost 6 pounds in 10 weeks through it. The reason why I keep doing it is I am a grazer. I eat when I see food...or I did. If I was bored, if I was just walking in the kitchen, whatever, I'd get food...not usually high calorie foods, but still more than I needed. Intermittent fasting keeps me disciplined to not do this. I am down 108.2 pounds since 9/1/21, but it's primarily because I eat a boatload of fruits and vegetables and very little processed foods. I do eat turkey sausage (ground and the link) and turkey bacon, but that's pretty much for processed foods. I don't eat bread anymore (I will eat a small piece of cake and ice cream on a few birthdays, but not always. I was not a big sweets person anyway. I eat a serving of protein (ground chicken, boneless/skinless thighs or breast, skinless leg quarters, ground turkey, lean beef, salmon, etc.), usually a fat like avocado or nuts, and 4 to 5 sides consisting of vegetables or fruits, with every meal. I watch my macros and that's what has helped the most. Sugar is so inflammatory, and salt is a killer...gotta figure things out. When I make stews, or chili, or rice, or anything using a broth, I get the reduced sodium or no salt added. The turkey bacon I eat is low sodium, and I wish to God Butterball would have a low sodium turkey sausage (if they do I haven't found it in any store)...

I wish you all good luck, but really, for me at least, it's been about watching my macros. My blood numbers are great, and when I had my blood pressure checked last week, it was 102/70 and a pulse of 61. I'll be 48 on April 7, and I used to weight 362 pounds before I started...never had high BP or any blood sugar issues, thank God....and I don't want any.

Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8866094 06/11/23 02:52 AM
T
Tortoise2187 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Only thing I can say is that it helps me keep my blood sugar levels a little more consistent. Took a few months of consistent effort to make a noticeable effect. When I do indulge with a little more sugar/carb loaded meal or eat a little later in the day, my levels return to normal sooner and without the yo-yo effect potential of adding fast-acting insulin to the mix. A1C went from 7.9 to 6.6 over the 5 months. Not really impressive, but progress for me. Can't mess up too much or it will unwind that progress.

Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8866226 06/11/23 02:56 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I’m not sold on intermittent fasting.

People need to eat right, and in the right proportions and get in the gym for weight training and get better results.

Intermittent fasting is trendy right now but I doubt it’s long term sustainability.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: txtrophy85] #8866228 06/11/23 03:03 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

People need to eat right, and in the right proportions and get in the gym for weight training and get better results.

Intermittent fasting is trendy right now but I doubt it’s long term sustainability.

I was doing it in the 90's, Didn't know it had a name, I just new if I skipped breakfast and ate only lunch and dinner my body weight stayed slim.

Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: txtrophy85] #8866244 06/11/23 04:01 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F

x2

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8866338 06/11/23 07:33 PM
L
LoneStarSon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I still do it, again, not because it helps me to lose weight in the sense most people attribute it to, but because it keeps me from mindlessly eating. I am very disciplined on it and now if I get stressed, I deal with it versus eating. I'm down 120.4 pounds now and my BP on Friday was 96/68. I'll continue to do it for a while, as I'm coming up on my 2 year anniversary September 1. However, how much longer really depends on how I'm dealing with my stress and making sure I have healthy ways of dealing with it. I'm a stress eater/grazer. So, it can work, but I do not believe it works the way most people have touted it.

Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: RedRanger] #8866430 06/11/23 11:57 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by RedRanger

I was doing it in the 90's, Didn't know it had a name, I just new if I skipped breakfast and ate only lunch and dinner my body weight stayed slim.

That was quite counter culture for that day and age.

Back then it was a carb loaded breakfast; pancakes, waffles and toast with a few pieces of bacon or sausage. For lunch you have a sandwich and some chips. Dinner was whatever the wife cooked, in our house it was usually something fried like pork chops or chicken, mashed potatoes and canned green beans. People prided themselves on cleaning their plates.

Not a big surprise why obesity skyrocket in the following decades.

Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: txtrophy85] #8866455 06/12/23 12:44 AM
L
LoneStarSon Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L

Back then it was a carb loaded breakfast; pancakes, waffles and toast with a few pieces of bacon or sausage. For lunch you have a sandwich and some chips. Dinner was whatever the wife cooked, in our house it was usually something fried like pork chops or chicken, mashed potatoes and canned green beans. People prided themselves on cleaning their plates.

Actually, I think the skyrocketing obesity can be attributed to the 'fats are bad' mentality and adding sugar to EVERYTHING to improve the taste of the 'fat free' foods...among other things.

Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8866463 06/12/23 12:51 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Refined Sugar is bad, very much so.

But over eating is over eating. More calories in vs. calories spent equals weight gain.

Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: txtrophy85] #8866545 06/12/23 02:32 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

I was skipping breakfast, only eating lunch and dinner, I was eating carbs back then wasn't aware of the no carb diets, it just kept me in shape.

Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: RedRanger] #8867061 06/13/23 12:20 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

I was skipping breakfast, only eating lunch and dinner, I was eating carbs back then wasn't aware of the no carb diets, it just kept me in shape.

Fasting = < calories

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8867324 06/13/23 12:41 PM
S
soooo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8869573 06/17/23 12:30 PM
S
soooo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
https://www.drugs.com/news/fasting-...l?hash2=1b3808ddf124b1d7e72b1b885397e947

A different view on fasting. Could be worth a try for some.

Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8892549 07/31/23 04:48 PM
C
coachwhite34 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
There is tons of scientific evidence on the benefits of fasting. In fact, 3 meals a day is something that has only been around 100 years or less. Our biology has us designed to fast. I have been doing intermittent fasting for a couple of year but recently started only eating one meal per day at dinner. Its a HUGE meal. I have already dropped 6 pounds and started lifting again for the first time in six years. I am amazed at how much more energy I have and how much more focused I am at work. Yes, it works. I have a family member that does one meal and day and lifts weights and at 45 he looks better than he did at 25 when he did competitive body building. I too before pics and I hope to have some awesome after pics in a few months.

Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: txtrophy85] #8892553 07/31/23 04:51 PM
C
coachwhite34 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

Trendy? Its been around for 1000s of years, most people up until the 1900s ate only one or maybe two meals a day and worked outside all day long. Religions have been fasting for years as well, lots of research says they knew it cleared the mind and helped with refocusing. We used to run around chasing our food, finally kill it, eat it, then spend two or three days without eating chasing our food again.

Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8892568 07/31/23 05:12 PM
Roll-Tide Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
My great grandmother lived to be 106. I always noted that she ate like a bird. Never snacking and no lunch. Very small breakfast and dinner.

Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8892879 08/01/23 12:34 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
My great grandmother lived to be 106. I always noted that she ate like a bird. Never snacking and no lunch. Very small breakfast and dinner.

Ever owned a pet bird or chickens? Birds don't eat lightly.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: txtrophy85] #8892892 08/01/23 12:55 AM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker

Trendy? This is literally how we as a species fed ourselves many thousands of years ago. An animal was hunted, killed, and consumed until we were full. Then when we got hungry again ( a few days later due to lack of carbs in diet causing hunger signals), we would eat again. And the cycle would repeat itself.

But somewhere along the line, we got out of the lion’s den and got into the pig pen, which is how most people eat nowadays. All of the processed junk lacking nutritional density causes people to over eat. And the trend we’ve had for the last several decades is to become fatter and sicker as a society. Roughly 80% of the US population is obese.

Re: Intermittent Fasting. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8893021 08/01/23 07:49 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I love to skip breakfast, once it is lunch time for me the food just taste better and I tend to get fuller faster as well.

I am 100% sold on it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide