Forums46
Topics537,991
Posts9,731,453
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: caprocker] #201242 08/22/07 07:31 PM
R
RandallW20 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
This is a very good thread. i don't have any stories but these are very interesting. Expesially the old artifacts and burial sites. Keep em' going.

Randall

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #8799670 02/11/23 02:52 PM
HuntingTexas Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
A blast from the past. Interesting reading and a good thread to add your stories.

" In God We Trust "

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: BowStalker] #8799692 02/11/23 03:34 PM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted by BowStalker
Maybe not as intersting as some other stories but it blew my mind when I spotted a paintd bunting.A really colorfull bird with violet, red,green, and some yellow. Never heard of or seen a bird like that before. But hes been there now for over a year ever since I built a small pond by one of my feeders. I'll sit in that blind for hours at a time and you might see him once. If your lucky. I spot him at least once every two weeks.I'm only out there on the weekends.Even started adding bird seed to that feeder.

We use to see these painted bunting birds frequently on a lease near Granite Shoals, Tx. Very colorful.

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #8799891 02/11/23 11:49 PM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
Yes, very interesting thread. I was only a lurker back then. Seems like a lot of stuff was going on around Bronte.

[Linked Image]
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #8800242 02/12/23 05:01 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I was walking the woods one fine day and found a wood shafted arrow sticking out of a tree. It had an old fashioned metal broadhead, and had been in the tree so long that the shaft had bent downward. Back then, the 70’s I think, nobody that I knew of bowhunted. It was family land.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #8800829 02/13/23 02:18 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
My only contribution to the discussion is a piece of roof flashing that most likely came from a tornado that hit a small town about 30 miles away. I was hunting a stand in a remote area and know for sure it wasn't there the last time I hunted the stand.

I suspect we may have an East Texas hunter or two here who found parts of the doomed Space Shuttle.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #8800845 02/13/23 02:46 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
On a ranch we hunted in central Oklahoma, we found a very old headstone in the middle of a pasture which says nothing but "Pioneer Man". Guessing it is still laying in the same place. This is the same ranch where I walked in on two guys cooking meth. I backed out and called the ranch manager and he called the law, but unfortunately they were packed up and gone by the time the deputy arrived.

Last edited by Dalroo; 02/13/23 02:46 PM.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #8800856 02/13/23 02:57 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Hunted a family place on the Llano River, just east of Junction for years and years. Found a flat bottomed boat and an ice chest with a bottle of cheap wine in it close to one of of deer blinds by the river. Was always on the lookout for the people that drowned during the flooding of the river that caught them camping out under the bridge on the east end of town. One body was never recovered and another was recovered in Lake LBJ. It had to float right in front of our old cabin. Strange thought that you could happen upon a body in that situation. Luckily it never happened.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #8800868 02/13/23 03:13 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Found a (purportedly) non-Chinese balloon last year on a property I hunt in Montague County. It had some labels that said NOAA and SCIENTIFIC INSTRUMENTS on it, but it was probably Chinese. grin

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #8800904 02/13/23 03:54 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Wow, somebody dusted off a 16y/o thread. Cool!

I found this 3-1/2" medallion under the root ball of a large oak tree that had fallen over on family land.

https://i.ibb.co/bNszHRD/B07-BAF99-CF50-4-B38-BE7-A-031-D6-D69-D837.jpg

Make America Great Again

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #8800926 02/13/23 04:29 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Almost found a dead guy one year elk hunting.
Went up to set camp and noticed a back East, small linear sedan parked along the road.
It was there for days not moved. I went by a second time to go to town for some supplies, still parked there.
Few days later spouse and I both were coming to town and when we went by the car there was dead smell.
We thought dead animal and thankfully did not go investigate, spouse likes to do that and find deadheads sometimes.
Got back in the mountains, still a parked car and finally came out after our hunt to search and rescue teams standing around the car.
A 20 something yr old guy drove from Florida and shot himself with a shotgun on the ridge just down from his car.
Glad we did not find him but were able to give a timeline to the authorities.

Still an older man missing in another part of the forest we hunt. He simple walked away from their campfire and disappeared from camp.

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #8800928 02/13/23 04:32 PM
R
Red Pill Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Found arrowheads and an old grinding bowl/stone at the place I hunted in high school. Also a bulldozer that was left up on top of one of the hills when they tried cutting cedar in the 1940s. It apparently wasn't worth taking apart to get it back down after a rain washed out all the creek crossings.

On the place I hunt now, which has been in the owner's family since about 1907, I found a couple of steel wheels, one smaller than the other, half buried in the ground From a plow, perhaps?

Last edited by Red Pill; 02/13/23 04:32 PM.
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #8802157 02/15/23 04:53 PM
T
tgltexas Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted by ralph
did Sam Bass used to hide out where you now hunt?

I've now spent the last two hours on a Wikipedia rabbit rail, reading about Sam Bass, Soapy Smith (who supposedly saw Sam Bass get shot), the "prize soap racket" (which gave Soapy his nickname), the Shootout on Juneau Wharf (where Soapy met his own demise), three-card monte (the confidence game scam Soapy liked to use on unsuspecting marks), and lots of other useless nonsense that merely adds to my Trivial Pursuit skills.

I digress.

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #8805203 02/20/23 10:34 PM
B
BearDen Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I was hunting in South Texas near Leaky and found an old rusted rifle in a creek. If only that rifle could speak the stories it could tell

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #8815008 03/09/23 05:26 AM
W
WildThings Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Sitting in a box stand on the Pecos River near Comstock, I kept noticing a silver flash off in the brush a couple hundred yards away. Finally, I couldn't stand it and off I went to find a deflated weather balloon. This was in 2001, so no Chinese stuff. It had an "If found" return address and free shipping label on it. They did send me a letter explaining their research.

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #8815145 03/09/23 03:15 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
My land in Montague County has some history. My front gate is about 200 yards from the main road but the road is named on the County map. Other than that, it’s land locked. About 25 years ago, I got a call from guy who was a member of the Montague County Historical group. He wanted to look around on my place. I said ok.

He told me that my front gate, off the main road, wasn’t always there. At one time the road was the main road to Bowie. However, the owner, got mad at neighbors and put in a locked gate. Thus, the gravel road takes a 90 degree turn about 200 yards from my property. I found what looks like a grave about 100 yards from the front gate and a pile of big rocks about 25 ft away. He, the historian, said that the clearing where I put my trailer house,shops, etc is where the stage relay station was with corrals for horses. No doubt in his mind that it was an old grave and the rocks would be breastworks to fire at attacking Comanches. Found some old, square, blacksmith made nails; one in my 4 wheeler tire.

About 1/2 mile away, I found some busted crockery and other junk back in the woods. He looked at it and said it was an old moonshine operation and the hill was called whiskey hill in the 1940’s.

Found an old hand dug well back in the woods when I noticed some odd rocks and found that they were concreted together. The well is about 25 ft deep and between 2 low area where water runs off. Across the fence is an old house foundation made of naturally rectangular and square rocks.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 03/09/23 03:18 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #8817290 03/13/23 01:49 PM
F
Flashprism Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
F
In western NJ, while leaving my tree stand on an archery hunt in 1970 I happened across another archery hunter who was still hunting nearby. We introduced our selves and made some small talk about our experiences in the area.

After a few minutes when I explained how long I had hunted this area (about 6 years) he asked me if I had ever lost anything?

The question seemed weird but I said you know I lost a knife my grandpa gave me three years ago. He asked me to describe it, which I did. He reaches in his back pack and pulls it out and said I've been waiting to meet you for 3 years I found it and have been carrying it ever since.

I was dumb founded!!! Not only that he found my knife but more importantly that he was such a decent human being that held on to it so long and gave it back to me!!!!

Amazed I thanked him and told him how he was probably one of the conscientious and honest individuals I had ever met.

In hind sight my gratitude was grossly inadequate as he was truly a special man and I should have done something more consequential. At the time I was a an unsophisticated kid and didn't realize this type of value system was so rare that I would never be exposed to it again!

I still have my grandpa's knife and the integrity of that man will never fade from my value system

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: Flashprism] #8817299 03/13/23 02:12 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Flashprism
In western NJ, while leaving my tree stand on an archery hunt in 1970 I happened across another archery hunter who was still hunting nearby. We introduced our selves and made some small talk about our experiences in the area.

After a few minutes when I explained how long I had hunted this area (about 6 years) he asked me if I had ever lost anything?

The question seemed weird but I said you know I lost a knife my grandpa gave me three years ago. He asked me to describe it, which I did. He reaches in his back pack and pulls it out and said I've been waiting to meet you for 3 years I found it and have been carrying it ever since.

I was dumb founded!!! Not only that he found my knife but more importantly that he was such a decent human being that held on to it so long and gave it back to me!!!!

Amazed I thanked him and told him how he was probably one of the conscientious and honest individuals I had ever met.

In hind sight my gratitude was grossly inadequate as he was truly a special man and I should have done something more consequential. At the time I was a an unsophisticated kid and didn't realize this type of value system was so rare that I would never be exposed to it again!

I still have my grandpa's knife and the integrity of that man will never fade from my value system

That’s the type of man that I would like to have as a friend. And I have friends that would tell you that you did not meet a man, you met an angel.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #8824799 03/28/23 05:15 AM
DustyArmadillo Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Driving back from the blind one night,

Thought I heard a grown woman screaming at the top of her lungs.

(Had the windows rolled down in case I saw a pig)

Spooked me because we were in the middle of nowhere San Saba..

Didn’t realize there had been reports of a mountain lion in the area.

Must’ve been 40-60 yards away

Needless to say I didn’t hang around to investigate it smile

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: DustyArmadillo] #8825124 03/28/23 09:51 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by DustyArmadillo
Driving back from the blind one night,

Thought I heard a grown woman screaming at the top of her lungs.

(Had the windows rolled down in case I saw a pig)

Spooked me because we were in the middle of nowhere San Saba..

Didn’t realize there had been reports of a mountain lion in the area.

Must’ve been 40-60 yards away

Needless to say I didn’t hang around to investigate it smile

Cool. I hunt about six miles west of San Saba about a half mile north of 190.

I was trying to think of anything interesting I have found out there, but I have had no luck. My nephew and his wife find lots of arrowheads and pieces of them, and other stuff the Indians made. I have found what was obviously stone chips from arrowhead and tool making, but I guess I'm just not tuned to that kind of thing.

As many years as I've been tromping around out in the sticks in various places it seems like I'd have found something terribly interesting, but I can't say I ever have.

This is not really hunting related, but they may have been hunting something---trouble, at the very least. I have an uncle who was a young kid in the early 50s---maybe this was late 40s...anyway, he and friends would spend a lot of time in the desert north of Fabens, Texas which is about 28 miles east of El Paso, downriver. One day they found a .50-cal machine gun set up on its tripod complete with a belt of ammo still threaded, but rusted up so solid as to be inoperable. I think this had to have been somewhere near where I-10 runs through that area now, and maybe even further north than that. Anyway, they went home and retrieved a wagon and went back out there and dragged the thing back to town, where they set it up in one of the boys' driveways and would pretend that the cars driving past were German tanks. For some odd reason some of the citizens of Fabens were disturbed about a .50-cal machinegun being pointed at them as they drove past (imagine that) and the sheriff's deputies came by and confiscated it. That was completely unfair, the way I see it. LOL.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #8825942 03/30/23 01:43 PM
C
Crawdad Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Not all that interesting but a couple of bucks locked together that drowned in the creek

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #8826274 03/31/23 12:27 AM
V
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
I lived in the Australian Outback for 6 years. Used to go out rabbit shooting. One trip with a buddy of mine on dirt bikes we came across two piles of fairly freshly dug dirt that looked about perfect size for graves. Neither of us had brought a GPS with us. Tried finding the same spot a couple of times and never did.

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."
-- Confucius
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #8830198 04/07/23 07:22 PM
D
duffas Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
D
Not hunting but kid found this and an empty dynamite box on her property. Old star cannon shell box.
[Linked Image]

Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: ralph] #8830528 04/08/23 03:37 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
What a surprise to see Randall's handle on a post again. We hunted together a couple times at a couple of his place's and in south texas for javelina one time and I stayed at the house & the School Property Lion Shack the last time we were together, and planning on me taking lease for a piece of land so I could come and go. Rest in Peace
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: What is your most interesting "discovery" while hunting? [Re: Flashprism] #8830570 04/08/23 04:44 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Flashprism

That’s a great story

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide