Page 1 of 2 1 2
Any combat veterans here? #8814112 03/07/23 07:57 PM
T
TexasUplander Online Content OP
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
T
First, let me say THANKS to any and all who have served. I never served in the military myself but was LEO for some time. Now to the meat and potatoes. I have a ranch in the rolling plains near childress. I have hosted the “wounded warriors” in the past and im eternally grateful for their sacrifices! However, i see the same guys every year and speaking to them, their hunting opportunities are endless. So, i want to help the guys who dont have those opportunities at every turn. I dont have the area or resources to offer this to everyone id like to, but ill do what i can. If you are a COMBAT veteran who cant afford to hunt or know someone who is, id like to have a drawing to help you/them out. I can offer a couple pig hunts and a couple doe hunts every year and all id ask is that you get to my place between childress and turkey. I dont really know how to make this “fair” to all so if anyone has ideas to help, that would be greatly appreciated. Im going to be tied up this spring with some projects but could possibly host a pig hunter or two before it gets too warm. This fall we could even do some combo hunts. Ill plan on doing this every year as long as it doesnt get too complicated.

Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: TexasUplander] #8814142 03/07/23 08:37 PM
C
cos Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
C
Great thing your doing. Thanks. Having a drawing might be the fairest way to do it.

Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: cos] #8814206 03/07/23 09:46 PM
T
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by cos
Great thing your doing. Thanks. Having a drawing might be the fairest way to do it.

A drawing would be fine. If any of yall meet the criteria please step forward. If you know of someone who does, please get their name in the hat! I know a lot of these guys would never ask for anything and thats why i put it out there.

Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: TexasUplander] #8814246 03/07/23 10:53 PM
T
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
T
Maybe there isnt a need for this like i anticipated. Thats ok, and good news too!

Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: TexasUplander] #8814341 03/08/23 01:24 AM
J
Jhop Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
At least half the guys I work with are Veterans with combat deployments maybe more. I don't think I've ever heard of any of them looking for a free hunt. I know some ask me if I've got a lead on someplace for them to hunt but not for free.

Retired U. S. Army, which means I still have to work to make a living.
Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: TexasUplander] #8814342 03/08/23 01:28 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by TexasUplander
Maybe there isnt a need for this like i anticipated. Thats ok, and good news too!

Sent you a PM with info that may help with your search…Jes

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: Jhop] #8814348 03/08/23 01:36 AM
T
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jhop
At least half the guys I work with are Veterans with combat deployments maybe more. I don't think I've ever heard of any of them looking for a free hunt. I know some ask me if I've got a lead on someplace for them to hunt but not for free.

As we all know, nothing in life is “free”, and those men already paid dearly! Snake wrangler was gracious enough to hook me up with an organization that i think will be a good fit. Thanks Jes!

Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: TexasUplander] #8814393 03/08/23 03:04 AM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Suggest you go talk to Gordon Melton in Paducah just south of you. He runs Hunting With Soldiers and does a great job getting vets lined up with hunting opportunities. His FB page is https://www.facebook.com/HuntingwithSoldiers/. You might be able to get access to his Veterans house to give your winners a place to stay in the area.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: TexasUplander] #8814404 03/08/23 03:31 AM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
I am a combat vet, USN. Multiple combat deployments to Iraq with Riverine Squadron One. We operated on the Euphrates River outside Baghdad. I'd be interested in a doe but I readily admit to having other places to hunt so there are probably more deserving guys than me. But if you have a drawing I'd put my name in the hat if you don't mind.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: TexasUplander] #8814498 03/08/23 01:17 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Uplander, nice thing you're doing. The guys that deserve this don't ask for free stuff because they're men that stand on their own feet, with pride. To get to those guys you have to offer, it seems. Wounded Warriors is great but it doesn't necessarily reach the guys who's wounds are mental from dealing with it. I sent this to an old friend who is a combat vet. Thanks for doing this.

Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: dkershen] #8814586 03/08/23 04:04 PM
T
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by dkershen
Suggest you go talk to Gordon Melton in Paducah just south of you. He runs Hunting With Soldiers and does a great job getting vets lined up with hunting opportunities. His FB page is https://www.facebook.com/HuntingwithSoldiers/. You might be able to get access to his Veterans house to give your winners a place to stay in the area.

Thanks so much sir. I have a modest place for people to stay, but that would be very helpful.

Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8814589 03/08/23 04:06 PM
T
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
I am a combat vet, USN. Multiple combat deployments to Iraq with Riverine Squadron One. We operated on the Euphrates River outside Baghdad. I'd be interested in a doe but I readily admit to having other places to hunt so there are probably more deserving guys than me. But if you have a drawing I'd put my name in the hat if you don't mind.

I appreciate your honesty! If you find yourself without a place to hunt, please reach out.

Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: TexasUplander] #8814598 03/08/23 04:22 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Great to see you do this on your own. For a few years, our lease hosted a group through an organization. I guided one on one with very deserving, appreciative men that were glad to be there. I know there are other hunters and land owners like yourself that do this on their own. This is what we need, good people doing good deeds on their own. Making donations to org's don't always get applied in the way I would like, so I'd rather contribute directly to an individual from here that I know. You need $ for food, or volunteers to help you look here. I hunt that area. On the hunts I did this for, we had guys show up to hunt without a gun, we took care of it.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: TexasUplander] #8814608 03/08/23 04:34 PM
T
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
T
I just had a great conversation with Mr Melton in paducah. His organizations views fall exactly in line with my own and his close proximity makes it even better! Im going to pursue this avenue. Anyone who has already reached out via PM will still be welcome to come on a hunt. Anyone else looking to hunt, please reach out to one of the two organizations named in this thread to see what they can offer.

Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8814613 03/08/23 04:39 PM
T
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Great to see you do this on your own. For a few years, our lease hosted a group through an organization. I guided one on one with very deserving, appreciative men that were glad to be there. I know there are other hunters and land owners like yourself that do this on their own. This is what we need, good people doing good deeds on their own. Making donations to org's don't always get applied in the way I would like, so I'd rather contribute directly to an individual from here that I know. You need $ for food, or volunteers to help you look here. I hunt that area. On the hunts I did this for, we had guys show up to hunt without a gun, we took care of it.

I appreciate the offer to help. Please reach out to Mr Melton and just see what he is about. I think its a cause wpeth helping. He sends a “representative” on the hunts and im sure volunteers are greatly appreciated. I know im going to offer my time when i can.

Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: TexasUplander] #8814689 03/08/23 06:43 PM
B
Bones72 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Combat here too. 19D cavalry scout with the army for 20 some ought years. Would love to hunt pigs and or does. Don't have anywhere to hunt currently. Biggest reason being a bad back from my time in service and not having buddies in the area to help with recovery of a critter otherwise I'd be hunting Ft Hood li,e I did back in the day or other public opportunities.

Your a great man for helping folks in this way. Many of us vets in my situation choose to avoid or not use some organizations, mostly as in my case; I may have bad back , be deaf as a stone , pop out enough kidney stones to pave your driveway, have a smidge of ptsd but I can get around and am fortunate, and grateful to have come home with all my parts and most days I can keep my mind in a good place. Id rather save those few slots or opportunities for those that had and will have a much rougher time than me.

Don't expect anything for free. I don't have cash but I have time and willing to work or donate some things of value I can't use anymore.

Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: Bones72] #8814701 03/08/23 07:01 PM
T
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Bones72
Combat here too. 19D cavalry scout with the army for 20 some ought years. Would love to hunt pigs and or does. Don't have anywhere to hunt currently. Biggest reason being a bad back from my time in service and not having buddies in the area to help with recovery of a critter otherwise I'd be hunting Ft Hood li,e I did back in the day or other public opportunities.

Your a great man for helping folks in this way. Many of us vets in my situation choose to avoid or not use some organizations, mostly as in my case; I may have bad back , be deaf as a stone , pop out enough kidney stones to pave your driveway, have a smidge of ptsd but I can get around and am fortunate, and grateful to have come home with all my parts and most days I can keep my mind in a good place. Id rather save those few slots or opportunities for those that had and will have a much rougher time than me.

Don't expect anything for free. I don't have cash but I have time and willing to work or donate some things of value I can't use anymore.

Send me a PM sir. Id be honored to have you out.

Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: TexasUplander] #8814736 03/08/23 07:29 PM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
[Linked Image]
Nothing wrong with vetting the guys either

Big Beckett!!
Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: Ramsey] #8814748 03/08/23 07:44 PM
T
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Ramsey
[Linked Image]
Nothing wrong with vetting the guys either

Id have no idea how to go about vetting them myself, but thats one thing i like about the local organization ive been hooked up with. They do all the vetting, and the choose participants that dont just jump from one camp to another for free hunts. Theft of valor is about the most disgusting “crime” one can commit IMHO.

Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: TexasUplander] #8814762 03/08/23 08:12 PM
B
Bones72 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
DD214 is about the best you can do for vetting and or VA disability letter. DD214 is your record of service and is given to all service members at seperation. It will list where folks have been stationed and overseas tours, awards given etc...As was said lots of folks fake service. A mess of em right here in Killeen right outside post. Hate seeing some 18 to 20 year old holding a sign that says disabled Iraq vet sitting with crutches or a wheelchair then watch em walk perfectly fine to a new F150 at the end of the day. I get some disabilities may present differently on a given day but when you're not old enough to have been there it's a little hard to stomach.

Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: TexasUplander] #8814853 03/08/23 10:47 PM
C
copperhead Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I may be interested in the drawing. I was a 11B with the 101st in Iraq but since I was never injured I did not consider myself a Wounded Warrier but do support the WW. There are some who have it a lot harder than me so I defer to those who I feel deserve it more than I do.

Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: copperhead] #8814936 03/09/23 01:42 AM
T
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by copperhead
I may be interested in the drawing. I was a 11B with the 101st in Iraq but since I was never injured I did not consider myself a Wounded Warrier but do support the WW. There are some who have it a lot harder than me so I defer to those who I feel deserve it more than I do.

Id be happy to have you come hunt! I have two other men that will be hunting and Ive been in contact with two organizations now that i feel fall more in line with my ideas than WW so ill be pursuing those avenues as well. Between you three men, and these two organizations, thats probably all i can handle for a while. If something changes ill bump this thread or creat a new one. Please PM your number and ill call you to make arrangements for your hunt. Again, THANK YOU ALL FOR YOIR SERVICE, and God Bless.

Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: TexasUplander] #8818838 03/16/23 04:43 AM
B
Buschy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Class act TexasUplander!

Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: Buschy] #8818878 03/16/23 11:28 AM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Buschy
Class act TexasUplander!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Any combat veterans here? [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8818892 03/16/23 11:58 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted by Buschy
Class act TexasUplander!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yep