Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
What has helped waterfowl the most? #8812630 03/05/23 04:07 AM
2flyfish4 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I read an article about how as a whole bird numbers have been declining except waterfowl. Quail have pretty much disappeared, turkey numbers have taken a hard hit recently, but waterfowl numbers seem to be holding strong for the most part.

Why do you think that is? What has helped them the most? Is it the number of lakes and ponds this country has built over the last several decades? The government push of ethanol fuel, so more corn fields being planted for the the subsidies; which equals more food for ducks and geese? Do you think ducks unlimited and delta are really making a difference?

Curious what your thoughts are?

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: What has helped waterfowl the most? [Re: 2flyfish4] #8812640 03/05/23 04:45 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
turkeys issue is easy, they need clear cuts and lodging to thrive, NWTF is one of the biggest loggers in the country for that reason. Logging isnt exactly popular conservation topic. Recent 5 years in California says it all. Also they share the same predation issues as Quail.

Quail are still thriving in the thick Stx regions. Ranching practices and grass land programs arent exactly quail friendly now days. Also ground predators are at 20 plus year high thanks to a depressed fur market. Add in aerial predator protections i top of thin cover and quail have a hard time.

corn ethanol grower subs died almost 1.5 decades ago. Even then ethanol mandate brings on only a 2% price increase on corn. For past 10 years US has been pretty steady between 13-15 billion bushels. On top of that CRP acreage is on rise thanks to Trumps farm bill. In a nut shell its not agriculture pushing ducks up or steady. My guess would be nesting land protection and mild winters. Mild winters are probably the biggest reason, they dont have to make same migration distances

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: What has helped waterfowl the most? [Re: 2flyfish4] #8812641 03/05/23 04:46 AM
C
claypool Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Interesting question. Duck numbers are certainly in decline as well. At least the most desirable species. Habitat loss is probably the biggest reason for all birds, then predators from hogs to illegal aliens like fire ants. Maybe waterfowl can overcome some of by having the ability to move great distances.

Yes DU & Delta make a difference and any serious waterfowler should be a member of both.

Re: What has helped waterfowl the most? [Re: claypool] #8812738 03/05/23 03:04 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by claypool
Interesting question. Duck numbers are certainly in decline as well. At least the most desirable species. Habitat loss is probably the biggest reason for all birds, then predators from hogs to illegal aliens like fire ants. Maybe waterfowl can overcome some of by having the ability to move great distances.

Yes DU & Delta make a difference and any serious waterfowler should be a member of both.

better long term snap shot, per DU the recent drop is prairie drought

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BOBO the Clown; 03/05/23 03:17 PM.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: What has helped waterfowl the most? [Re: 2flyfish4] #8812869 03/05/23 08:18 PM
W
WhataburgerEatr Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
LOL at that graph. If you believe that I know about some ocean front property…Seems DU has been taking notes from the NRA.

Re: What has helped waterfowl the most? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8812885 03/05/23 08:46 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

better long term snap shot, per DU the recent drop is prairie drought

[Linked Image]

No serious duck hunter should give a dime to DU of BHA. Same bunch of hippies.

Re: What has helped waterfowl the most? [Re: WhataburgerEatr] #8812911 03/05/23 09:43 PM
C
claypool Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I would think that graph is pretty doggone accurate. At last it mirrors how my seasons have gone. Especially with mallards.

Re: What has helped waterfowl the most? [Re: claypool] #8812914 03/05/23 09:48 PM
C
claypool Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I would think that graph is pretty doggone accurate. At last it mirrors how my seasons have gone. Especially with mallards.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, it would be impossible for me to disagree more. I will continue to put not only my money but some sweat equity into the ducks through DU and Delta.

Re: What has helped waterfowl the most? [Re: WhataburgerEatr] #8812929 03/05/23 10:04 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by WhataburgerEatr
LOL at that graph. If you believe that I know about some ocean front property…Seems DU has been taking notes from the NRA.

Im no DU fan infact I hate them, but that graph is pull directly from USFG.gov numbers, its even cited as such in the graph

Re: What has helped waterfowl the most? [Re: claypool] #8812932 03/05/23 10:11 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, it would be impossible for me to disagree more. I will continue to put not only my money but some sweat equity into the ducks through DU and Delta.

you are more then welcome to support cap and trade and carbon sequestering, while building exclusive hunt clubs with your donations and taxes, its your money. Ive got a section in WRP, but that doesnt mean it should of been in WRP or is doing anything different being in WRP, but I am getting paid for it to be in WRP. Down here habitat work just attracts doesnt maintain.

with that said if you are serious about duck hunting and are well off, when in Rhome…, its smart to enlisted deep in to DU so you have first access to the donated property sales, and their program influences to develop them

DU’s lane has changed to much for my support but I dont have any thing against those still all in on them.

Re: What has helped waterfowl the most? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8812976 03/05/23 11:57 PM
2flyfish4 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Mild winters are probably the biggest reason, they dont have to make same migration distances

Makes sense, the hens can keep their fat reserves up and are in better condition to produce good clutches come spring time.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: What has helped waterfowl the most? [Re: 2flyfish4] #8813042 03/06/23 01:49 AM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Boss shells

Re: What has helped waterfowl the most? [Re: 2flyfish4] #8813222 03/06/23 02:05 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I PM'd kwood to make sure he chimes in and lets everyone know why

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: What has helped waterfowl the most? [Re: 2flyfish4] #8813390 03/06/23 05:28 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I'd hate to say anything before KWood chimes in, but duck numbers are almost completely controlled by the conditions of the breeding grounds like Bobo mentioned. No other factor comes close.

The only other thing that I'd say about the comparison to turkey and quail is that they are not migratory. We're all seen (or at least those of us that have been hunting for more than 5 years) how patterns shift along with conditions here in TX. IMO that gives dux a big advantage. They can shift to where the food is easily.

Re: What has helped waterfowl the most? [Re: 2flyfish4] #8813471 03/06/23 06:59 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
kwood said the duck numbers really aren't that bad, they've just all gone nocturnal due to corn monoculture farming.

it's just science really.

Quail is due to fire ants and habitat destruction and the fact that if a bad guy was to shoot one with a 22 the rest of the covey will come check on it and see what happened until they've all been pot shot. At least that's what I've heard.

Turkey decline is due to roosting in dead trees along northeast Texas back roads I'm guessing. Again, allegedly

#sigline
Re: What has helped waterfowl the most? [Re: 2flyfish4] #8813653 03/07/23 12:10 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Duck numbers are up because garrett and Hayraker don't hunt any more, well at least a reason why ringers and spoonies are up...

Re: What has helped waterfowl the most? [Re: 2flyfish4] #8814561 03/08/23 03:13 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
With most species the answer is habitat. That being said, the popularity of turkey hunting, I think, has had an effect on numbers. Shooting the dominate tom disrupts the breeding process as other males have to redo the pecking order. I'm not saying breeding doesn't get done, even the jakes breed (or try to), but with the dominate tom out, they switch attention to fighting each other and breeding slows down until they work that out. There have been studies that indicate moving the seasons to later would give many hens time to breed.

As always, nest predators take a huge toll on all our ground nesting birds. Racoons, Skunks, feral Cats (a big one), Bobcats and Possum. All of these are furbearers. Better habitat could amielate that issue but short of that those numbers need to come back into line. I had a friend that did intensive quail management on his place. He allowed a farmer to plant beans and such crops on his land for free as long as he left the outer rows unharvested. Did intensive ground predator management and left the coyotes alone. He saw his quail numbers increase steadily, and some of these quail were released birds.

And I'll still gladly shoot ringers, so there's that...

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: What has helped waterfowl the most? [Re: Guy] #8814617 03/08/23 04:44 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Guy
Duck numbers are up because garrett and Hayraker don't hunt any more, well at least a reason why ringers and spoonies are up...

bingo

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: What has helped waterfowl the most? [Re: claypool] #8815157 03/09/23 03:25 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

DU lost me several years back when they fired longtime writer Don Thomas for exposing a Montana, big wig DU doner for trying to keep public sportsman from accessinng a public river access point that ran thru his ranch. Showed their true colors and is just one of several reasons NOT TO SUPPORT THEM

Re: What has helped waterfowl the most? [Re: garrett] #8815472 03/09/23 11:59 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by garrett
Originally Posted by Guy

bingo

No shame.. roflmao

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide