Print Thread
Hogs and hardwood #8808185 02/25/23 07:18 PM
W
Wytex Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
W
We're headed down to the spouse's family place for a few days of hog hunting and cutting some wood for my smoker.
Looks like we'll hit the warmer weather we wanted, we hit -18 at our house this past week, midweek.

They have been really in drought this year, missed all the rain right around them so hog activity slowed a lot. Still some around and recently a little helpful rain.
We'll be right on the Red, in the breaks and up on top of the bluff. We have river bottom to hunt so we should find some.

Break in the storms for a few day so travel should be fine.

I'll try to post some pics, no wifi though where we stay so might be when we get home.

Looking forward to getting back home for a few warm days.
Might find a few antlers, that pisses off one BIL, lol.

Re: Hogs and hardwood [Re: Wytex] #8808200 02/25/23 07:48 PM
W
Wytex Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
W
My preferred weapons of choice are my Henry .41 mag and the husband surprised me with this unfired S&W .41 mag last summer, anniversary.
I will also have my Sako 300wsm.
Husband takes his Rossi 92 .454 casull and his Featherweight 300wsm. He carries a Ruger .40 cal also.

We have a FLIR handheld and use led flashlights for night hunting, I think his brother has a thermal scope we can borrow too. Most of our hogs are taken during daylight usually.

[Linked Image]

Re: Hogs and hardwood [Re: Wytex] #8808290 02/25/23 10:37 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
That's awesome, ma'am. Y'all be safe and have a good hunt! up

[Linked Image]
Re: Hogs and hardwood [Re: Wytex] #8809399 02/27/23 07:42 PM
J
JTPinTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
We usually kill lots of pigs, but the last 6 months or so things have been pretty thin. Not sure what happened but lots of people around here (SE Panhandle) are saying the same thing. Last ones I killed were back during the summer before the cotton got too tall.
Finally, here in the last couple weeks we have been starting to see a few again. Not many peanuts were grown here last year and I think that coupled with the drought put the pigs off the cropland and down into the creek and river bottoms. About the time pivots shut off the pigs disappeared. That should change here in a couple months though. Looks like peanut contracts will be up again this year. Lots more people talking about planting them again. That will pull them up onto the open crop fields where we hunt with thermal.

Hopefully you guys will have some luck while you are here. N Tex is a good area, all up and down the Red.

We got a little rain and some weather last night. 70-100 mph winds, and some golf ball size hail. Flipped some pivots over, flipped one of my BIL's semi trailers over. Hopefully you don't get any of that while y'all are here.

Last edited by JTPinTX; 02/27/23 07:43 PM.
Re: Hogs and hardwood [Re: Wytex] #8809407 02/27/23 07:55 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Good luck with the hog hunting.

What wood are you using in your smoker?

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Hogs and hardwood [Re: Wytex] #8812315 03/04/23 02:50 PM
W
Wytex Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
W
Well back from Texas.
No hogs down, only saw 1 boar, in the thunderstorms Thursday.
Hog sign is sparse , which is great for the property.
Cut some oak and pec an for the smoker. Red oak and post oak.
The family had a huge old pecan blow over, actually 2 of them, one just before we got there Sunday night. Both tress are probably well over 200 hundred years old based on location and size.
Found some turkeys and took some pics .
I'll post pics today some time.

Drove through an ordeal to get to Texas, closed road due to blowing dirt and heavy storms with a blackout dust storm in Amarillo that nearly got us on the loop.

Re: Hogs and hardwood [Re: Wytex] #8812353 03/04/23 04:10 PM
W
Wytex Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
W
Disclaimer, no hog pics below.

Sunday we drove through heavy storms in SW Kansas, our detour due to road closure at Lamar, CO. We had to go right down along the squall line and the wind was impressive , even for us from Wyoming. Local radio stations were blowing up with Tornado warnings and hail warnings all around the area we drove through.
That wind caused the almost blackout blowing dirt storm at Amarillo. We literally could not see ahead of the truck and at one point and the spouse had to drive on the shoulder by looking in his side mirror at the stripes besides us. Trucks and cars were stopped in it, thankfully we drove out of it instead of sitting and getting sand blasted.
That wind blew down a big old native pecan in the river bottom of the family place. Another bigger old pecan blew down just the week before too across the ferry road on the same bottom.
Both are probably 200 year old trees , maybe older as the witness oaks for the ferry are 300+.
We cut some green smoker wood from each.

Last evening of our hunt had some nice turkeys come by, at 50 yds while we sat in the truck waiting out a thunderstorm.

Drought has taken a toll but things are springing back a bit with the rain.
The little bluestem is about 2 ft shorter than usual.
Ticks are out but no snakes this time down.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Hogs and hardwood [Re: Wytex] #8812365 03/04/23 04:18 PM
W
Wytex Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
W
Turkeys cleaned up all the corn we had out for hogs, made us laugh actually as the feeder was not active and they came out literally just minutes after we put it out and got situated for the hunt.
First group had 2 nice mature toms but no camera then. Moved to the truck for the heavy rain and the 2 yr old gobblers came out with hens and jakes.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Hogs and hardwood [Re: Wytex] #8812392 03/04/23 05:25 PM
D
der Teufel Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
Nice pictures!
Thanks

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Hogs and hardwood [Re: Wytex] #8813618 03/06/23 11:13 PM
J
JTPinTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Glad you guys made it OK. That "little weather" I talked about in my post above, was what you guys drove through. Doesn't really matter if you came down I-40 or 287 (I'm guessing 287), either way you passed within 30 miles of me. I am in Wellington, dead in between those 2, just west of the OK border. There were dang sure some heavy winds in that squall line. We got some golf ball size hail out of it too. Tornadoes missed us though.

Pigs have been scarce around these parts. Coyotes aren't though, they are thick this year. Probably going to be a good turkey season too. Seems to be plenty of them.

Re: Hogs and hardwood [Re: Wytex] #8815513 03/10/23 01:26 AM
J
jnd59 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
That pecan burl on that big one could be worth some money to wood turners/workers. If it is still intact I'd look into it.

We lost a hawthorn in that same storm. Son said a tornado was right above it so must of pushed it over. It was old and tired.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Hogs and hardwood [Re: Wytex] #8816559 03/11/23 10:57 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by Wytex
Disclaimer, no hog pics below.

Sunday we drove through heavy storms in SW Kansas, our detour due to road closure at Lamar, CO. We had to go right down along the squall line and the wind was impressive , even for us from Wyoming. Local radio stations were blowing up with Tornado warnings and hail warnings all around the area we drove through.
That wind caused the almost blackout blowing dirt storm at Amarillo. We literally could not see ahead of the truck and at one point and the spouse had to drive on the shoulder by looking in his side mirror at the stripes besides us. Trucks and cars were stopped in it, thankfully we drove out of it instead of sitting and getting sand blasted.
That wind blew down a big old native pecan in the river bottom of the family place. Another bigger old pecan blew down just the week before too across the ferry road on the same bottom.
Both are probably 200 year old trees , maybe older as the witness oaks for the ferry are 300+.
We cut some green smoker wood from each.

Last evening of our hunt had some nice turkeys come by, at 50 yds while we sat in the truck waiting out a thunderstorm.

Drought has taken a toll but things are springing back a bit with the rain.
The little bluestem is about 2 ft shorter than usual.
Ticks are out but no snakes this time down.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

thats a big arse tree, must have been a sight when standing

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Hogs and hardwood [Re: Wytex] #8816913 03/12/23 07:04 PM
W
Wytex Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
W
They have some huge pecans and oaks in that bottom.
Spouse kept giving he heck about wanting wood from each tree. He finally got that I wanted some of the history from each.
Most of the trees top out not extremely tall but have huge trunks circumference wise.
The oak witness trees are really huge, height and circumference. They are mentioned in maps hundreds of years old.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide