[Linked Image]

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8810287 03/01/23 02:28 AM
B
BarneyWho Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
Didn't take any pics from the blind site in the West Pool, but did take a pano view from the very NW corner of the wetland looking South:

[Linked Image]

already got issues with beavers. I'm sure this will be an ongoing battle once the wetland is finished:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8810360 03/01/23 04:26 AM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Super cool.

Originally Posted by BarneyWho
Just 3 guys wasting time...
[Linked Image]

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8810363 03/01/23 04:33 AM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Trapping? Sell pelts (or hides or furs or whatever it's called)? Lease to trappers? I think this place is out of state, yes? If so, I don't know the laws. Hell, I don't them for trapping in Texas for that matter, heh.

Originally Posted by BarneyWho
already got issues with beavers. I'm sure this will be an ongoing battle once the wetland is finished:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Mickey Moose; 03/01/23 04:37 AM. Reason: bad m-f'er

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Wetland Project [Re: john paul] #8810394 03/01/23 06:44 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by john paul
Are you just driving into these fields at 5:30 in the morning and clouds of ducks are getting up in your headlights?

Nope, usually when walking back to the spread after getting set up you'll see them, the ducks, flying from the field we're in to water, or from different fields to water. You'll see clouds of them around the same time before legal shooting flying to water. Then about 20 minutes later, the geese get up. The ducks never leave water while we're hunting. Then right after sunset you'll see the ducks flying back to the fields. In the evening, it's not all at once, it's 500 here, 100, there, etc.

Like I said, it's crazy to see, I'm sure our playa lakes region has a lot to do with it too. About the only time we can field hunt ducks is if a really nasty cold front comes in, or it's snowing. Around the cold fronts it's usually new birds though.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8810462 03/01/23 01:28 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
GD you are clueless

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8810555 03/01/23 03:33 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
I hope you didn't use diesel fuel only when burning those brush piles, the only way to get them to burn clean is to use a variety or a buffet if you will of different accelerants.

#sigline
Re: Wetland Project [Re: john paul] #8810585 03/01/23 04:05 PM
L
LarryCopper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
GD you are clueless

I'm starting to think it's master level trolling. Where's garrett for his input?

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8810621 03/01/23 04:53 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I have questions. Never considered embarking on a task like this, so excuse my ignorance and I certainly am not well versed on Kansas law/requirements.

Is there a tax advantage for building wetlands?

Sure seems like a crapton of government regulations and redtape to just go out and flood a field (intentionally oversimplified statement). I get the surveying for elevations and drainage and flow/hydrology, but why does the gubmint need to stick their nose in your bidness on what you do on YOUR land? Did you have to get all this cleared through the State of Kansas prior to moving dirt? I assume you are you flooding with a well and that is why? Or are you banking on rain water catch?

I think it stays off-radar in Texas if less than 200 acre feet are impounded?

Clearly after a 3-year hunt for the 'right' property, you've demonstrated patience, BUT will that push to 5-years of 'missed' hunting when this place is ready to drop the first bird?

This looks like a fun and worthy project. Keep the updates rolling.

Last edited by HuntnFly67; 03/01/23 04:54 PM.
Re: Wetland Project [Re: #Hayraker] #8810664 03/01/23 06:11 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by #Hayraker
I hope you didn't use diesel fuel only when burning those brush piles, the only way to get them to burn clean is to use a variety or a buffet if you will of different accelerants.

that was smooth

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Wetland Project [Re: #Hayraker] #8810704 03/01/23 07:55 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by #Hayraker

The only one that can out troll Garrett. True OG

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8810818 03/01/23 10:25 PM
garrett Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Kwoody is the real king troll, no way someone is really that dense, not even someone from Tarleton

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Wetland Project [Re: garrett] #8810844 03/01/23 11:17 PM
O
OTL91 Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
O
GD you are clueless

Kwoody is the real king troll, no way someone is really that dense, not even someone from Tarleton

These made me laugh out loud.

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8810884 03/02/23 12:29 AM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
All we need now is the captain

Re: Wetland Project [Re: Ramball36] #8811009 03/02/23 03:28 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Ramball36
All we need now is the captain

beetle juice, beetle juice, beetle juice

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Wetland Project [Re: john paul] #8811026 03/02/23 03:53 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
GD you are clueless

Really, you want to explain?
You think birds are flying to the field at 530 in the morning, then going to water?
Look at delta, look at any data on radiomarked mallards or pintails. It shows that they feed at night in a lot of places, it's just extremely prolific in the northern panhandle.

You don't have to believe it, I don't care if you do, but it just shows your ignorance. We know what we see, but if you have another explanation, please let's hear it. I literally have our own observations, and science that supports what I'm seeing and saying.

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8811112 03/02/23 12:04 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Ok I’ll bite. Let’s see your science that backs your claim up that ducks are dry feeding at night all across the world.

I never said 5:30 in the morning. I promise you I’ve hunted way more than you ever will in the panhandle, still do. I have seen ducks 100’s of times come about about 20-30 minutes before LST, grab a quick bite to eat because they don’t need a ton when it’s 40 degrees as a low, and head back to water about 10 minutes later. That is what I think you’re seeing. Until you drive into a field at 5:30 in the morning and see them get up in your head lights I will never believe you. I’m not saying a duck has never sat in a dry field all night but it damn sure isn’t happening very often. The only way I could ever see it happening is under a full moon.

Last edited by john paul; 03/02/23 12:06 PM.

I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8811159 03/02/23 01:23 PM
H
Hailyeah Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
https://www.realtree.com/the-duck-blog/full-moon-fever-when-ducks-and-geese-go-nocturnal There are some on here that have seen shooting at midnight in Louisiana and Mexico under a full moon on feeding ducks. In the UK and Scotland they can legally do it. I hunt with 2 retired feds that chased duck hunters in Louisiana back in the day a lot at night. When we ran hunt tests in Louisiana, the old timers down there bragged about it and how not just anybody could shoot well at night. lolRealtree

[Lone Watie hears a gun [censored] behind him; turns and sees Moonlight]

Lone Watie : It's not right, this damn woman doing something like this to me. I used to have power. Now old age is creeping up on me.

Josey Wales : More like old habits than old age.
Re: Wetland Project [Re: Hailyeah] #8811181 03/02/23 01:59 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Hailyeah
https://www.realtree.com/the-duck-blog/full-moon-fever-when-ducks-and-geese-go-nocturnal There are some on here that have seen shooting at midnight in Louisiana and Mexico under a full moon on feeding ducks. In the UK and Scotland they can legally do it. I hunt with 2 retired feds that chased duck hunters in Louisiana back in the day a lot at night. When we ran hunt tests in Louisiana, the old timers down there bragged about it and how not just anybody could shoot well at night. lolRealtree

this is kansas winters not louisiana or Mexico

you can shoot ducks feeding at night when its 10 degrees, sure but who is keeping the water open on the river? Location is everything. Ice eaters work in flooded corn. Regardless 10 years worth of history on a wetland that has many back to back to back hunts says a percentage of ducks that do feed at night dont matter

Re: Wetland Project [Re: KWood_TSU] #8811190 03/02/23 02:06 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
GD you are clueless

Really, you want to explain?
You think birds are flying to the field at 530 in the morning, then going to water?
Look at delta, look at any data on radiomarked mallards or pintails. It shows that they feed at night in a lot of places, it's just extremely prolific in the northern panhandle.

You don't have to believe it, I don't care if you do, but it just shows your ignorance. We know what we see, but if you have another explanation, please let's hear it. I literally have our own observations, and science that supports what I'm seeing and saying.

or the other way around, you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. historical reference taken over the past last 10 years via a property right down the road shows its doesnt matter to any degree if a percentage do or dont feed at night. In colder areas they are going back to roosting water to keep it open.

my ranch in panhandle in places is 5 miles from Kansas. In 40 plus year I nor my family have seen duck and/or geese in any quantity feed at night during the mid to late winter season. They stay on roost water to keep it open. just the nature of the freeze line. Location is every thing

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8811207 03/02/23 02:34 PM
H
Hailyeah Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Bottom line is when you get the project done, it is going to be great and you will kill ducks on it. But there were some saying the feeding at night wasn't happening. On full moon nights on a lease we used to have that had flooded soybeans, we did poorly at first light, but did well midday and early afternoon.

[Lone Watie hears a gun [censored] behind him; turns and sees Moonlight]

Lone Watie : It's not right, this damn woman doing something like this to me. I used to have power. Now old age is creeping up on me.

Josey Wales : More like old habits than old age.
Re: Wetland Project [Re: Hailyeah] #8811213 03/02/23 02:38 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Bottom line is when you get the project done, it is going to be great and you will kill ducks on it. But there were some saying the feeding at night wasn't happening. On full moon nights on a lease we used to have that had flooded soybeans, we did poorly at first light, but did well midday and early afternoon.

bottom line is this in Kansas and this is their third project in 10 years all with in 20 miles of each other. With 10 years worth of harvest history, maybe just maybe they know what they are doing.

Re: Wetland Project [Re: john paul] #8811227 03/02/23 02:52 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Ok I’ll bite. Let’s see your science that backs your claim up that ducks are dry feeding at night all across the world.

I never said 5:30 in the morning. I promise you I’ve hunted way more than you ever will in the panhandle, still do. I have seen ducks 100’s of times come about about 20-30 minutes before LST, grab a quick bite to eat because they don’t need a ton when it’s 40 degrees as a low, and head back to water about 10 minutes later. That is what I think you’re seeing. Until you drive into a field at 5:30 in the morning and see them get up in your head lights I will never believe you. I’m not saying a duck has never sat in a dry field all night but it damn sure isn’t happening very often. The only way I could ever see it happening is under a full moon.

I'm not going do the research for you, do your own. If I do the research you'll be just like a liberal crying that it's fake news. I promise you that you don't hunt where we do, or we'd run into each other.
What's funny is we know what we're seeing, and you're trying to tell me your opinion on what we SEE!
I do not care if you believe me, but if you want to remain ignorant and close minded, that's up to you.

Also, how have you seen ducks do this 100s of times, in the dark...
Are you a roost buster?

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8811229 03/02/23 02:54 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

bottom line is this in Kansas and this is their third project in 10 years all with in 20 miles of each other. With 10 years worth of harvest history, maybe just maybe they know what they are doing.

Hey bobo, you can get off of your knees now.

Re: Wetland Project [Re: KWood_TSU] #8811243 03/02/23 03:05 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Hey bobo, you can get off of your knees now.

lets talk in person,

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide