Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Future of Hunting #8809882 02/28/23 03:52 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
What does the next 20-50 years hold for the generational future of hunting? We all know that things such as motorcycles, Harleys specifically are way on the decline with age groups < 40. Could similar trends be in place for the future of hunting. I work with hundreds of folks and I would conservatively estimate that of those, only 10-15% hunt at all and mostly, 85%+ of those are like me > 50yo.
With 60% of the USA population being < 45yo but only constituting < 25% of country's wealth, is the geneeational future of hunting in jeopardy?

What say the THF?

Re: Future of Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8809886 02/28/23 03:58 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I do not think so. A better question to ask is, how many people out of the population hunt now? And will that change going forward? I doubt it.
People do what they were raised doing, for the most part. Some drop but some add things, but for the most part, I think the numbers have remained steady, and just looking it up, I am correct. The number has fluctuated some over the years, but from 2006 to 2020, the number has pretty much been 15M.

15M out of 350M people in the US is a small percentage. So it stands to figure you won't come into too much contact with a hunter on a given day, and depending on time of year, they might not show that hunter "type".

Re: Future of Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8809896 02/28/23 04:11 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Don't know Buckeye, as more of us die off which will start accelerating over coming years due to age group distributions, 25% > 65 yo., don't know. The wealth distribution in age groups is concerning to me when combined with imminent mortality of many current hunters. No doubt that things are much costlier than generations ago and wealth holdings have not kept up, indisputable. I guess time will tell.

Re: Future of Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8809897 02/28/23 04:12 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Nope. Maybe for city folks but not for rural residents.

Re: Future of Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8809908 02/28/23 04:42 PM
D
DUKFVR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Another factor is there will be less land to hunt on in the future. ,

Re: Future of Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8809912 02/28/23 04:49 PM
65x55 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
Yeah habitat loss is what I'm worried about. Every time I drive out to my hunting spots there are more warehouses and cookie cutter housing developments popping up. I added a crossbow to my arsenal since I see archery only opportunities becoming more common. In a few decades most of my hunting may consist of shooting rats with my trusty pellet pistol.

Re: Future of Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8809918 02/28/23 05:19 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Less land available to hunt with increased cost for those that do hunt. Difficulty finding affordable lease could have negative effects on hunting.

If you are a hunter with young people in your family who do enjoy hunting this will help to increase the number of hunters. In my case there will be 3 additional hunters.

Re: Future of Hunting [Re: Wilhunt] #8809924 02/28/23 05:39 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Wilhunt
Less land available to hunt with increased cost for those that do hunt. Difficulty finding affordable lease could have negative effects on hunting.

If you are a hunter with young people in your family who do enjoy hunting this will help to increase the number of hunters. In my case there will be 3 additional hunters.

Increased liability for those who choose to lease their land to hunters is no doubt taking its toll as well. And while liability releases help, I have to believe many see not leasing their land as the best protection against potential lawsuits.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 02/28/23 05:40 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Future of Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8809939 02/28/23 06:25 PM
B
blkt2 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
Unless the government opens up large swaths of land to the public for hunting then we will turn into Europe eventually. Over there hunting is only a rich man's game. When I went to school in Michigan there was so much public land that just about everyone that lived outside of the major cities hunted. In Pennsylvania where my family has land they let kids out of school for the first day of deer season and there's a lot of public land there as well.

Trolling? Heck no, I meant every word of it.
Re: Future of Hunting [Re: DUKFVR] #8809943 02/28/23 06:40 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by DUKFVR

always land to hunt, convenient it may not be

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Future of Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8809949 02/28/23 06:57 PM
D
Double AC Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
All of my friends enjoy hunting when given the opportunity to do so, regardless if they grew up hunting or not. I doubt the number of people who would like to hunt is dropping. The biggest issue with our age cohort is affordable access. Unless you are lucky enough to own land to begin with, most people 25-35 are trying to buy houses, have children, etc and those costs are going to have a higher priority than shelling out a couple grand to lease land.

Last edited by Double AC; 02/28/23 06:57 PM.
Re: Future of Hunting [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8809951 02/28/23 06:59 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Born and raised in McKinney, TX. And there was no deer season until 2012. The first time I saw whitetail in Collin County was 1999. Deer died of old age before there was a season. And now, Collin County is extremely more populated with people than it was 20 years ago. Yet, it is holding Boone & Crockett record bucks and a fairly healthy population. It may go to the guy living on 2 acres harvests deer annually.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Future of Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8809953 02/28/23 07:01 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Biggest problems I see for future of hunting:

No father in half the households in America which is a huge problem for raising children, therefore nobody available to teach kids about hunting, fishing, outdoors.
Hunting keeps getting prohibitively expensive.
Too many other hobbies for kids nowadays.

Re: Future of Hunting [Re: DUKFVR] #8809963 02/28/23 07:14 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

That’s already happened here. Other land owners around my ranch have stopped leasing their land to hunters. Lease hunters aren’t worth the hassle of dealing with them is the general consensus.

Re: Future of Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8809964 02/28/23 07:18 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I don't want to sound to millenial here, but sounds like a lot of you walked uphill both ways to school in snow, while living in the desert of central texas.

Seriously guys, these problems have been around for my whole life, and yet hunter numbers aren't dropping.

Convenient land access has and always will be an issue. Costs are all relative to the sliding scale of inflation. Sure things cost less back then, but everything did. We still do these things today, like buy new cars, houses, eggs and milk. People will find ways to do what they want to do.

As hobbies increase, so does a reach back to be outdoors. Remember, we aren't talking about 75% of Americans hunting, we are talking about 4%, Yes we all know gamers and netflixers and whatever else, but I still see more than enough people outside to give me hope for the future. This isn't WWII era anymore no, but it certainly isn't Wall-E era yet.

Fathers in the household has little to do with hunting. My father was present 100% of the time and a great dad, and yet I only remember hunting with him once in my life, and that was not made fun for us kids nor did he have fun on it. I think it may be the only time he hunted as an adult (cant speak to his childhood). But yet, three of his adult sons hunt and we all started well into adulthood. Who says you need a dad to teach you anything about hunting. It helps for sure, but there are a lot of bad habits formed by "doin what pops taught me" too.

This thread has a lot of ole timers (figure of speech, I have no idea how old any of you are) being pessimistic about the future. Raise your chins and realize the sky isn't fallin yet.

Re: Future of Hunting [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8809969 02/28/23 07:20 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

True. The production of land mass was over a very long time ago. Population increase, rural development, younger people having more entertainment options than ever before and other things have reduced the supply and demand for hunting land. That said, I have had an easier time of finding good leases over that last 15 years than I did long ago. I've paid to be on a lease for about 35 total years. Networking through technology, great mapping and satellite resources, etc have really changed how to go about finding a great ranch to hunt. I remember in the 80's calling local chamber of commerce org's and asking them to mail me a list of land owners that leased, calling them on a land line, taking a drive to look at a place........I guess if you really want to hunt, you will find a way now as we did "back then".

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Future of Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8809973 02/28/23 07:28 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
My office has 8 people, 6 of which have hunted, 5 still do. I have always hunted I brought my wife into hunting and my little boy is stoked to start deer hunting this coming year anfter his first kill this year and daughter is mad she has to wait a few more years. My brother and brother in law and friends have all done the same. The outlook for hunting is bright around here.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by redchevy; 02/28/23 07:51 PM.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Future of Hunting [Re: Texas buckeye] #8809983 02/28/23 07:39 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
I don't want to sound to millenial here, but sounds like a lot of you walked uphill both ways to school in snow, while living in the desert of central texas.

Seriously guys, these problems have been around for my whole life, and yet hunter numbers aren't dropping.

Convenient land access has and always will be an issue. Costs are all relative to the sliding scale of inflation. Sure things cost less back then, but everything did. We still do these things today, like buy new cars, houses, eggs and milk. People will find ways to do what they want to do.

As hobbies increase, so does a reach back to be outdoors. Remember, we aren't talking about 75% of Americans hunting, we are talking about 4%, Yes we all know gamers and netflixers and whatever else, but I still see more than enough people outside to give me hope for the future. This isn't WWII era anymore no, but it certainly isn't Wall-E era yet.

Fathers in the household has little to do with hunting. My father was present 100% of the time and a great dad, and yet I only remember hunting with him once in my life, and that was not made fun for us kids nor did he have fun on it. I think it may be the only time he hunted as an adult (cant speak to his childhood). But yet, three of his adult sons hunt and we all started well into adulthood. Who says you need a dad to teach you anything about hunting. It helps for sure, but there are a lot of bad habits formed by "doin what pops taught me" too.

This thread has a lot of ole timers (figure of speech, I have no idea how old any of you are) being pessimistic about the future. Raise your chins and realize the sky isn't fallin yet.

Well here’s something you can learn from the older generation. 40 years ago, opening day of deer season sounded like a war around here. 30-40 shots easily heard. This last opening day, mine was the only shot.

Re: Future of Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8809992 02/28/23 07:58 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I dont think you can judge the amount of hunting by how many shots you here. Hunters are much more selective now days. The goal used to be to shoot the first thing with horns, so your season was often over opening day. Many guys like me hunt all year long and rarely fire a shot.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Future of Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8810002 02/28/23 08:10 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Guys, let's please steer this back to my post, future of generational hunting in next 20-50 years when most of us are long gone....

Re: Future of Hunting [Re: freerange] #8810004 02/28/23 08:13 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by freerange
I dont think you can judge the amount of hunting by how many shots you here. Hunters are much more selective now days. The goal used to be to shoot the first thing with horns, so your season was often over opening day. Many guys like me hunt all year long and rarely fire a shot.

I know all the other landowners with 40 or more acres for miles around. I’m very well versed in the number of hunters here. Pretty much nobody except for the landowners these days.

Re: Future of Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8810013 02/28/23 08:24 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Go to a Nat. Forest during 2nd rifle season.

Then tell me we have declining hunter numbers.

Not every person is gonna be a hunter. My Dad was a hunter, his dad and brother were not. My Uncle loved to hunt and owned ranch land his entire adult life. My cousin rarely hunted as an adult, he did if it was convenient but the second it required any effort he passed on it.

My kids go a few times a year but they are not ate up with it like I was. I think only 1 of the 3 will continue to hunt in earnest as an adult.

But for every example of a person with the means who chooses not to, there is a guy who didn’t grow up in a hunting household who dives in with both feet. It’s cyclical just like anything else.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Future of Hunting [Re: DQ Kid] #8810017 02/28/23 08:32 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
So you are equating more selective hunting with less hunting.... confused2

Maybe more people are into the archery so you don't hear the shots.

This is why anecdotal evidence is hard to argue against, your truth says there are less hunters because you hear less shots than before. but the numbers show the same amount of hunters since 2006 at least. So which is true true vs just your truth?

And the ole folks comments was a joke, as I said, there was no intention behind it other than figure of speech because I have no idea how old anyone is. So please don't take that as any kind of insult, I should have just said "chicken littles" but thought the ole timer felt better with my statement about walkig uphill both ways at the beginning. "Back in the day" is always remembered as better from a simple nostalgia purpose.

Re: Future of Hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8810018 02/28/23 08:33 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

True. The production of land mass was over a very long time ago. Population increase, rural development, younger people having more entertainment options than ever before and other things have reduced the supply and demand for hunting land. That said, I have had an easier time of finding good leases over that last 15 years than I did long ago. I've paid to be on a lease for about 35 total years. Networking through technology, great mapping and satellite resources, etc have really changed how to go about finding a great ranch to hunt. I remember in the 80's calling local chamber of commerce org's and asking them to mail me a list of land owners that leased, calling them on a land line, taking a drive to look at a place........I guess if you really want to hunt, you will find a way now as we did "back then".

National Forest, BLM, COE, WMA properties, will stand in perpetuity, but as I said convenient it may not be.

89 million acres in lower 48. w/about 14 +- million hunters

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Future of Hunting [Re: freerange] #8810021 02/28/23 08:34 PM
D
Double AC Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by freerange

Agree - if I heard 30-40 shots on opening weekend I would be looking for a new hunting spot because that is not a hunting neighborhood I want to be a part of.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide