Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Re: Wetland Project [Re: OTL91] #8807720 02/24/23 10:20 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Wow, that looks really complicated. I was gonna make a post to show how smart I am but KWood and Barney are out of my league. Plus no one listens to me any more.

Re: Wetland Project [Re: OTL91] #8807728 02/24/23 10:30 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by OTL91
Originally Posted by BarneyWho
y'all ninjaed this up so much, I'm not even sure where I was in the process. bang roflmao

back on topic..........The engineering firm finally got to the project, reviewed our design, overlaid the survey data on the aerial to verify elevations, and sent us the drawings. Once the drawings were finalized and all the drainage reports were done, the engineering firm filed the paperwork with the state at the first of this year. Now we, wait. The plans are sent to 7 different agencies for approval. I'm sure there will be some back and forth, but once the plans are approved we can move dirt. Hopefully by April or May to give us time to seed the levees to get enough growth to protect from erosion as well as a crop to make the ducks nocturnal we won't be able to hunt. grin

Final design:
[Linked Image]

Drawing overlaid with aerial. The firm didn't have the drone shot with trees removed:
[Linked Image]

Dike profile drawing:
[Linked Image]

Does anyone want to comment on the survey? Do we have any guys with minors in civil engineering that have found flaws in the plan?

think that might be more PhD level in hydrology. Over my head

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8807860 02/25/23 01:56 AM
L
Limit Extender Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Barney have you thought about stocking this wetland with baitfish? I've read some articles and the more varieties of fish you put in this water the better off you'll be. If your pond only has catfish the mallards will get wind of this pretty quick and avoid the area.

Re: Wetland Project [Re: OTL91] #8807947 02/25/23 04:22 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
If corn did not work, people would not be spending 800-1200 dollars an acre to plant it every year... I have hammered ducks over flooded corn in the middle of the day for days on end and when the hole was not pressured for a few days you could go back and restart the process (public land flooded corn from when a river got out of its banks) ... I have watched ducks land on ice and peck the corn off the cob when five foot deep water froze over.... in the middle of the day... to say ducks will only use corn at night as asinine... I remember when the manager on the Barker Ranch (Eastern Washington, private club, pretty good hunting) said he was going to plant corn all the KWood_TSU know it all members said the same crap... "they are only going to use it at night and go back to the river the next day"... they all shut up when they killed more mallards that year than ever before. Yes, that property also had a buffet of food... but corn helped, especially when it was cold... the kind of cold Kansas gets pretty much every year....

I never said only, I didn't even say they would go nocturnal. Reading comprehension is your friend. You also can't compare west coast mallards to Central and Mississippi mallards. A lot of different variables, including hunting pressure.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Wetland Project [Re: john paul] #8807949 02/25/23 04:26 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by john paul
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
Originally Posted by Guy
Them mallards are smart, probably reading this forum. bang

They are quite smart.
We see it here in the panhandle all season while goose hunting about them flying to safety.
When we're out scouting, you'll see them making their way to a field around sunset, then when we're setting up in the morning you'll see thousands of them heading back to water. They feed all night, sit on water all day. It's crazy to watch tens of thousands of ducks hitting the water at first light.

Are you saying they sit in dry fields all night feeding? 😅😅😅

Not saying that’s never happened before but it’s definitely not the norm.

That they do. They might go get a drink during the night, but they're in the fields all night long. Now a strong cold front does change that a little.

Re: Wetland Project [Re: KWood_TSU] #8808041 02/25/23 02:38 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
If corn did not work, people would not be spending 800-1200 dollars an acre to plant it every year... I have hammered ducks over flooded corn in the middle of the day for days on end and when the hole was not pressured for a few days you could go back and restart the process (public land flooded corn from when a river got out of its banks) ... I have watched ducks land on ice and peck the corn off the cob when five foot deep water froze over.... in the middle of the day... to say ducks will only use corn at night as asinine... I remember when the manager on the Barker Ranch (Eastern Washington, private club, pretty good hunting) said he was going to plant corn all the KWood_TSU know it all members said the same crap... "they are only going to use it at night and go back to the river the next day"... they all shut up when they killed more mallards that year than ever before. Yes, that property also had a buffet of food... but corn helped, especially when it was cold... the kind of cold Kansas gets pretty much every year....

I never said only, I didn't even say they would go nocturnal. Reading comprehension is your friend. You also can't compare west coast mallards to Central and Mississippi mallards. A lot of different variables, including hunting pressure.

this is why we reacted the way we have. You just dont get it. They have literally killed over 800 birds in three weeks with 99% being straight green heads. I cant tell you how many 6-10 man 8:30 am limits of straight drakes BWho has trolled his friends and this forum with over the past 10 years. Straight private wetlands, with friends and Family only, no guiding. Do the math on what it takes and hunts for 800 straight drakes in three weeks.

Just maybe…. take a step back and asks question on why they are so successful since its contrary to every thing you think you know. Actually dont this is more entertaining.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8808049 02/25/23 02:47 PM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
What state are you building this project in?

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Wetland Project [Re: KWood_TSU] #8808511 02/26/23 12:34 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Guy
Them mallards are smart, probably reading this forum. bang

They are quite smart.
We see it here in the panhandle all season while goose hunting about them flying to safety.
When we're out scouting, you'll see them making their way to a field around sunset, then when we're setting up in the morning you'll see thousands of them heading back to water. They feed all night, sit on water all day. It's crazy to watch tens of thousands of ducks hitting the water at first light.

That they do. They might go get a drink during the night, but they're in the fields all night long. Now a strong cold front does change that a little.

I think you are confused. I've extensively hunted the panhandle for 15 years now and have never seen that. I've seen them feed super early in the fields and head back to water before LST. Then feed after LST in the evening and back to water at night. Yes when it gets cold their feeding patterns change. Big cold fronts are typically accompanied with overcast/sometimes snow so they have reduced visibility (can't fly as well at dark), they need more food so they feed longer in the morning and evening. When it gets very cold they will just bounce water to food almost all day to keep their water open. Those are all reasons you see them fly better during daylight when it gets cold.

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8808842 02/26/23 11:08 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K

They are quite smart.

I think you are confused. I've extensively hunted the panhandle for 15 years now and have never seen that. I've seen them feed super early in the fields and head back to water before LST. Then feed after LST in the evening and back to water at night. Yes when it gets cold their feeding patterns change. Big cold fronts are typically accompanied with overcast/sometimes snow so they have reduced visibility (can't fly as well at dark), they need more food so they feed longer in the morning and evening. When it gets very cold they will just bounce water to food almost all day to keep their water open. Those are all reasons you see them fly better during daylight when it gets cold.

Definitely not confused lol.
We literally watch them go to field in the evening. Then when we're setting up in the morning, they go back to water right before shooting light. They just swap places with the geese.

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8808875 02/26/23 11:53 PM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Kwood do you think there’s a conspiracy against you everywhere you go with your knowledge or do you think maybe you come off a certain way to attract this kind of reaction

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8808959 02/27/23 01:03 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Can we get to the important stuff, like where is the hot tub going?

Re: Wetland Project [Re: Guy] #8809088 02/27/23 03:21 AM
B
BarneyWho Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Guy

Haven’t decided, but all I know is the wire isn’t going to be cheap!!!
realmad realmad bang

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8809102 02/27/23 03:37 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
cheaper then a 12v cummins diesel motor for the pump

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8809186 02/27/23 01:57 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Kwoody almost made me want to put on my trolling cap, but its just not as fun as it use to be

Guy, I listen to you

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Wetland Project [Re: garrett] #8809201 02/27/23 02:20 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Kwoody almost made me want to put on my trolling cap, but its just not as fun as it use to be

Guy, I listen to you

I still wondering about the geese feeding at night in panhandle. They damn sure dont do it in Dec. At my place they are either in town on water treatment center or Feedlot back pits. Only aerated/semi open water for 50 miles. if they leave at night not sure it wouldn't freeze up.

With that said he probably has never hunted around my ranch and considers panhandle, Lubbock

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8809354 02/27/23 05:55 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
careful, he has a degree, you might be over your head bobo

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Wetland Project [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8809736 02/28/23 04:57 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Guy, I listen to you

I still wondering about the geese feeding at night in panhandle. They damn sure dont do it in Dec. At my place they are either in town on water treatment center or Feedlot back pits. Only aerated/semi open water for 50 miles. if they leave at night not sure it wouldn't freeze up.

With that said he probably has never hunted around my ranch and considers panhandle, Lubbock

I never said geese, I said ducks.

Re: Wetland Project [Re: Ramball36] #8809871 02/28/23 03:36 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
Originally Posted by Ramball36
All the bullies got banned about a decade ago, you wouldn’t have liked them at all. I was just pointing out that maybe sometimes it’s best to sit back and listen rather than try and tell an experienced waterfowler what you heard on a podcast

how rude

#sigline
Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8809883 02/28/23 03:54 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Are you just driving into these fields at 5:30 in the morning and clouds of ducks are getting up in your headlights?

I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8809899 02/28/23 04:18 PM
H
Hailyeah Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
No mention of the effect of the moon phase on night feeding during all this tool measuring?

[Lone Watie hears a gun [censored] behind him; turns and sees Moonlight]

Lone Watie : It's not right, this damn woman doing something like this to me. I used to have power. Now old age is creeping up on me.

Josey Wales : More like old habits than old age.
Re: Wetland Project [Re: KWood_TSU] #8809901 02/28/23 04:22 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Guy, I listen to you

I never said geese, I said ducks.

this reminds me of correcting a pre-teen

"hey don't write on the wall with that black pen"

"its not black, its a dark purple"

whatever it takes to be right, at all costs roflmao

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8810009 02/28/23 08:17 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Guy

Haven’t decided

You need to shoot a limit of mallards, out of a hot tub, with a 410. That would set a new world record!

Re: Wetland Project [Re: Guy] #8810074 02/28/23 09:54 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by Guy

Haven’t decided

You need to shoot a limit of mallards, out of a hot tub, with a 410. That would set a new world record!

Odd way to ask him if he pee’d in his waders this year.

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8810184 03/01/23 12:27 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by Guy

Haven’t decided

Odd way to ask him if he pee’d in his waders this year.

I was actually not asking about him pee'n in his waders, but I think to your point we need to get the full story here... garrett might need to chime in here and take control. smile ani

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8810272 03/01/23 02:19 AM
B
BarneyWho Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
B
Did some more work a couple of weekends ago. Finished burning the brush piles in the East Pool, cleaned up the ash piles in the West Pool, picked up a ton of sticks and debris where the farmer could work the ground, trimmed the tree line on the dividing levee to allow the contractor to get the toe of the levee as close to the tree line as possible, and meet with a contractor to get a quote on the dirt work. Contractor didn't seemed too surprised with any of the dirt work, but a little concerned with the pump site with the steepness of the bank. Guess we will see when his bid comes back. Starting to take shape.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just 3 guys wasting time to make ducks nocturnal..........
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide