Print Thread
Skunk problem #8807478 02/24/23 03:53 PM
D
Dalee7892 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
D
Anyone have suggestions on how to get rid of skunks? The dog been face sprayed 4 times now. I've put ammonia on some rags and placed under a out building.
I'm open for suggestions.

Last edited by Dalee7892; 02/24/23 03:54 PM.
Re: Skunk problem [Re: Dalee7892] #8807545 02/24/23 05:21 PM
JimBridger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
I’ve unintentionally caught skunks when trapping raccoons at my feeders. Duke’s dog proof coon traps work well using canned cat food and corn as bait.
The down side is they spray when shot.

Last edited by JimBridger; 02/24/23 05:22 PM.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Skunk problem [Re: Dalee7892] #8807546 02/24/23 05:23 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Get a shotgun and a flashlight then go looking for them around midnite. 7.5 shot works great, use a shovel and bag em in a good trash bag, dispose at any known democrats house.

Re: Skunk problem [Re: Dalee7892] #8807563 02/24/23 05:40 PM
P
Papalote Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Moth balls/camphor balls under the shed. I dumped some red pepper where one bedded down in my pump house. Both seemed to repel them as long as they were fresh.

Leg hold traps gets the stink every time.
Live traps can be stink free if you can creatively dispatch them.

The most fun is to hunt them at night away from the house if you are able.

Re: Skunk problem [Re: Dalee7892] #8807666 02/24/23 08:13 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
We have a small guest house, and some years a skunk will raise little skunks under it and stink the place up. Rather than shoot them and cause more stink. I put some very bright contractor lights under the house. They don’t like bright light, and that’s how I’ve cleared them out a few times. I think I got the idea off the internet.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Skunk problem [Re: Dalee7892] #8807680 02/24/23 08:45 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Tennis balls soaked in ammonia will keep just about everything away.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Skunk problem [Re: Dalee7892] #8808190 02/25/23 07:26 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Covered live trap, they will not raise their tail and spray.
Then you can dispatch in a way that will not stink or release it carefully and not get sprayed.
You can shoot it in the trap and it will spray but you can move it and the smell that way.
Drowning works for not spraying but some folks do not like that idea.

We've used about a 7 inch opening live trap covered with a feed sack. Cat food inside and attach a rope to pull it if needed. Leave the handle exposed on top.

Re: Skunk problem [Re: Dalee7892] #8808289 02/25/23 10:36 PM
W
Walkabout Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
W
SNARING A SKUNK

You learn a lot about skunks when you decide to snare a skunk.

Last summer the girls let the dogs out for their morning duty and the dogs had their first encounter with a skunk. It didn't go so well so I decided to snare a skunk. Couldn't help but notice how bad the beds and gardens were tore up. You learn that when you decided to snare a skunk. Ah ha; found a hole going under the outdoor shed so I filled it in and the skunk filled it out. Covered it with bricks so he just made a longer deeper tunnel. So I decided to snare a skunk.

So when you decide to snare a skunk you will find that they have a territory they cover. Might take them 2-4 weeks to make the rounds before returning to pester your place some more. Last fall, something excited the skunk about 2:00 am so skunks do what excited skunks do. The "fog" permeated the closed sealed house and two neighbors for two days so I decided to snare a skunk.

Final straw, planted an early garden and all the strawberries disappeared as they set. You see when you decide to snare a skunk you learn that skunks like little strawberries.

You can't find snares anywhere inside a little town like Houston so you have to go to the smallest little feed store you can find at least 50 miles from Houston. Ask the clerk for a snare and sez sure what size? I dunno small I guess. "What are you trying to catch"? "Skunk huh". Country store clerks give ya a big ol grin when you ask for a skunk snare. That's something else i learned.

So I decide to snare this skunk you see; get rid of all my skunk problems. Two weeks checking that snare morning and evening rain or shine. You gotta be patient when you decide to snare a skunk. Yep I can be patient. I learned that too. Easter weekend and the girls and the dogs are going to their dads so momma and I are going to the hill country for the weekend. Had a great time too...until I decided to snare a skunk.

Gotta text from the 15 year old while driving back Sunday. THERE'S A SKUNK IN THE BACKYARD AND THE DOGS GOT SPRAYED. So their dad decides to drop by the house,leave the dogs pick up some stuff to go to Kema. Dogs were barking like hale jumping at the door so why not let them out. So when their dogs are howling and crying, young girls will immediately let their dogs back in the house. Skunk sprayed dogs will rub all over area rugs and furniture if they get sprayed by a skunk and you let them in the house. I learned that too.

Dogs gotta have a bath right? Why not put'm in the master shower. You see when you decide to snare a skunk you learn how a 15 year old National Honors Society young girl thinks; good to know. Since their dad doesn't like me anyway, I'm sure he was enjoying everything I was learning.

Price tag is up to about $800 now and the house still smells like skunk. I didn't know that the human nose can become desensitized over time even to skunk smell. Something else I learned when I decided to snare a skunk. Well I did snare that dang skunk.

I guess I know about all there is to know now about deciding to snare a skunk. If you ever decided to snare a skunk gimme a call. Be glad to share all my knowledge about snaring a skunk.

Re: Skunk problem [Re: Dalee7892] #8813807 03/07/23 04:02 AM
4x4willie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Live trap
Cover trap large blanket
4 inch hose over the exhaust pipe tip
18 minutes
Skunks asleep forever
No smell

Re: Skunk problem [Re: Dalee7892] #8814164 03/07/23 08:55 PM
L
LeftHandStan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
I've had luck using both Duke's coon traps as well as live traps. The key for me was realizing they like smelly baits such as sardines, tuna, etc. This will not be effective if you're covered up with fire ants.

After caught, i dispatch with a .22 from about 15'. Avoid being downwind. They will spray. I avoid the area for a day and off to the gut pile the next day.

Re: Skunk problem [Re: Dalee7892] #8815767 03/10/23 03:14 PM
topwater13 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Growing up we had a bitch heeler that was lightning fast. On more than one occasion I saw her kill skunks without being sprayed.
I have shot them in the head before and they have not sprayed.....but not every time.

Re: Skunk problem [Re: Dalee7892] #8815788 03/10/23 03:49 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Like said, Sardines or other strong smell bait in live traps, but you will never get rid of them all and you will go through a lot of possums and raccoons trying. My last Vizsla had got sprayed like three times in a row. What I ended up doing is going out with the dog looking for a skunk in an open area where I could see it from a distance. I put the electronic collar on my dog in advance. Sent him in the direction of the skunk and backed away so to the dog I was not involved in the encounter. When I could tell he scented, saw the skunk and was getting close I hit him with the collar. He never went near a skunk ever again. Same concept as snake avoidance training.

Re: Skunk problem [Re: Dalee7892] #8816723 03/12/23 10:15 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I’ve shot many skunks over the years. A shotgun at about 20 yards to the head/upper body dispatches them instantly and only remember one that sprayed and it was already agitated. They all instantly stopped moving. No thrashing around

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Skunk problem [Re: Dalee7892] #8892759 07/31/23 09:34 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
put on bus thats going to D.C.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Skunk problem [Re: Dalee7892] #8900617 08/14/23 01:16 AM
A
Augustus1994 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Covering the trap helps keep them calm and if they do spray it’s contained.

Re: Skunk problem [Re: 4x4willie] #8929809 10/05/23 01:35 PM
S
Skeezix Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted by 4x4willie
Live trap
Cover trap large blanket
4 inch hose over the exhaust pipe tip
18 minutes
Skunks asleep forever
No smell

This right here^

The end won’t be for everyone…
WWG1WGA
Re: Skunk problem [Re: Walkabout] #8935463 10/14/23 04:11 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by Walkabout
SNARING A SKUNK

You learn a lot about skunks when you decide to snare a skunk.

Last summer the girls let the dogs out for their morning duty and the dogs had their first encounter with a skunk. It didn't go so well so I decided to snare a skunk. Couldn't help but notice how bad the beds and gardens were tore up. You learn that when you decided to snare a skunk. Ah ha; found a hole going under the outdoor shed so I filled it in and the skunk filled it out. Covered it with bricks so he just made a longer deeper tunnel. So I decided to snare a skunk.

So when you decide to snare a skunk you will find that they have a territory they cover. Might take them 2-4 weeks to make the rounds before returning to pester your place some more. Last fall, something excited the skunk about 2:00 am so skunks do what excited skunks do. The "fog" permeated the closed sealed house and two neighbors for two days so I decided to snare a skunk.

Final straw, planted an early garden and all the strawberries disappeared as they set. You see when you decide to snare a skunk you learn that skunks like little strawberries.

You can't find snares anywhere inside a little town like Houston so you have to go to the smallest little feed store you can find at least 50 miles from Houston. Ask the clerk for a snare and sez sure what size? I dunno small I guess. "What are you trying to catch"? "Skunk huh". Country store clerks give ya a big ol grin when you ask for a skunk snare. That's something else i learned.

So I decide to snare this skunk you see; get rid of all my skunk problems. Two weeks checking that snare morning and evening rain or shine. You gotta be patient when you decide to snare a skunk. Yep I can be patient. I learned that too. Easter weekend and the girls and the dogs are going to their dads so momma and I are going to the hill country for the weekend. Had a great time too...until I decided to snare a skunk.

Gotta text from the 15 year old while driving back Sunday. THERE'S A SKUNK IN THE BACKYARD AND THE DOGS GOT SPRAYED. So their dad decides to drop by the house,leave the dogs pick up some stuff to go to Kema. Dogs were barking like hale jumping at the door so why not let them out. So when their dogs are howling and crying, young girls will immediately let their dogs back in the house. Skunk sprayed dogs will rub all over area rugs and furniture if they get sprayed by a skunk and you let them in the house. I learned that too.

Dogs gotta have a bath right? Why not put'm in the master shower. You see when you decide to snare a skunk you learn how a 15 year old National Honors Society young girl thinks; good to know. Since their dad doesn't like me anyway, I'm sure he was enjoying everything I was learning.

Price tag is up to about $800 now and the house still smells like skunk. I didn't know that the human nose can become desensitized over time even to skunk smell. Something else I learned when I decided to snare a skunk. Well I did snare that dang skunk.

I guess I know about all there is to know now about deciding to snare a skunk. If you ever decided to snare a skunk gimme a call. Be glad to share all my knowledge about snaring a skunk.

thats good, send it to readers digest

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Skunk problem [Re: Dalee7892] #8953375 11/11/23 07:24 PM
P
Papalote Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
I like the bag idea

Last edited by Papalote; 11/11/23 07:26 PM.
Re: Skunk problem [Re: Dalee7892] #8953567 11/12/23 12:19 AM
O
Okie Newton Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
I've heard of catching them in a live trap with a blanket over it. Before setting it tie a length of reasonably stout rope to it. Throw trap in a pond for 30 minutes or so. Use the rope to pull in the drowned skunk and dispose it.

Re: Skunk problem [Re: Okie Newton] #8953621 11/12/23 01:15 AM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
That’s the way my Dad trapped a couple of skunks. To me, it seemed like there was a flaw in his plan - the part about getting close enough to drape a blanket on the trap. I asked if he got sprayed and he said “just a little bit”. Well…I see that as a definite flaw. With skunk spray, a little bit is too much.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Skunk problem [Re: Dalee7892] #8953630 11/12/23 01:29 AM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
I've tried every piece of advice about how to keep the stinkpot from spraying. None have ever
worked for me. I haven't bought a skunk sleeper, and I'll buy one and try it some day.
Relocating isn't an option to me. Varmints will reappear with time. I've shot em in every part
of the body that's been suggested.
IMO it's best to pop em and get it over with.
I've also learned that a skunk with a full magazine can spray in the dark and it's nearly phosphorescent.
Almost chartreuse looking. I caught one in a nuisance squirrel set here, and it sprayed the
south side of the white fence and it took a long time to wear off. Wouldn't rinse with the hose and nozzle.

Good Luck with it

( trapped ex-skunk photo won't load- nothing special, just like every other dead stinkpot)

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide