THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Sneaky
Originally Posted by blkt2
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Wilhunt
And what do you do about a dog with collar chasing deer on the lease?

Very unlikely a single dog would be able to take down a deer. He is just learning that. No you just don't shoot collared dogs.

Other than eating every single thing including the antlers how is a dog killing a deer any different than one of us killing a deer?

You’ve got to be kidding me…..

Well trained dogs pay for hunting licenses and abide by the tag limits rofl

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8806583 02/23/23 01:57 AM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
^^^^ She was when I met her. She's a cute Scott's woman and I met her when she was dancing at The Lodge. I'm married now and my wife knows that the two of us have history but she's also someone that was invited to our wedding and is a friend to both of us.

My Man.

Looks like I was successful at changing the direction of this thread.

Back on point here. Please try not to shoot dogs if you can avoid doing so. They are worthy of being given the benefit of the doubt.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: ntxtrapper] #8806608 02/23/23 02:10 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
It's not my responsibility to keep dogs off of my ranch. The dog's owner has that job. Anything pit or a pit mix dies. I don't consider those dogs because they have been bred to be weapons.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: ntxtrapper] #8806627 02/23/23 02:27 AM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
It's not my responsibility to keep dogs off of my ranch. The dog's owner has that job. Anything pit or a pit mix dies. I don't consider those dogs because they have been bred to be weapons.

Have you ever listened to the gun control groups screeching about horrible weapons of war on our streets? What is wrong with a weapon of one type but not another? I am not conceding that a pit is weapon but they are tough dogs. I have one now and he is a pansy without an ounce of malice or meanness in him. Not much in the brain department either but he is very sweet.

A dog is also not remote controlled toy that the owner sends onto your property just to get under your skin. It is a domestic animal that as likely as not is just wondering around playing.

When I was growing up the town did not have leash laws and when I got off of the school bus every afternoon a bunch of dogs were waiting to go play and I had a blast doing so. Them wandering around never really caused any problems except one occasionally knocking over a trash can. I had a golden and a mutt thay looked like a big weiner hound. During the day they would wander around and go visit all of our neighbors who they knew.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: ntxtrapper] #8806647 02/23/23 02:44 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
I dealt with pits attacking people for many years. They are weapons that can go off without anyone needed to pull the trigger. That’s the difference.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: ntxtrapper] #8806660 02/23/23 02:54 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
You just can’t reason with some people.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: ntxtrapper] #8806678 02/23/23 03:18 AM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I dealt with pits attacking people for many years. They are weapons that can go off without anyone needed to pull the trigger. That’s the difference.

I deal with aggressive dogs on a regular basis and you will laugh when I tell you this. The only dogs that I can consistently count on being bit by are a Bichon Frise. For what ever reason those little S-Heads bite me every time and you would be hard pressed to call one of those fluff balls aggressive. Nothing else bites me, not pits, Akitas, shephards, dobermans, rotties, nothing.

Pits are not necessarily a bad dog but they are powerful and can mess things up when they do start tearing into things. Personally I have never had an issue with one and I have picked up feral strays off of the street before and found them homes or kept them as pets. Can't tell you why but dogs love me and that has been the case since I was a little kid sneaking out of my room at night to go sleep with my next door neighbors coon hunting dogs in their kennels. I was doing that a 3 or 4 years old.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: Sneaky] #8806724 02/23/23 04:48 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N

Yep. Soundness of heart doesn’t make up for softness of head.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: ntxtrapper] #8806755 02/23/23 10:03 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

Yep. Soundness of heart doesn’t make up for softness of head.

Amen brother....

I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: ntxtrapper] #8806770 02/23/23 11:59 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
As some know, I do a lot of farm & ranch insurance. I often find myself in rural environments and am constantly on the look out. I have gotten into it with many a dog. I am aggressive and go after them if they show any type of attitude. As someone said earlier, they just don't know how to take that. Have learned you've got to watch the quiet ones. I am not going near a pit, plain & simple. No need. Ain't gonna happen. We've gotten away from wild dogs out in the pasture, but realize personal liability lawsuits paid out by insurance companies are dominated by dog claims.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: Sneaky] #8806792 02/23/23 12:57 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Wilhunt
And what do you do about a dog with collar chasing deer on the lease?

Very unlikely a single dog would be able to take down a deer. He is just learning that. No you just don't shoot collared dogs.

Other than eating every single thing including the antlers how is a dog killing a deer any different than one of us killing a deer?

You’ve got to be kidding me…..

Didn't buy a license from the state.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: ntxtrapper] #8806812 02/23/23 01:23 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: garyrapp55] #8806853 02/23/23 02:49 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by garyrapp55
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.

Yep. Put your dog and your wife in the trunk of a car, leave them in there for a few hours and see which one is happy to see you when the trunk lid is opened.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: blkt2] #8806863 02/23/23 02:58 PM
S
splash556 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S

................ but they are tough dogs. I have one now and he is a pansy without an ounce of malice or meanness in him. Not much in the brain department either but he is very sweet...................

Said every pit owner whos dog just bit the face off a kid or tore into/killed another human without cause. Along with: " He's never done that before."

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: splash556] #8806866 02/23/23 03:05 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by splash556

................ but they are tough dogs. I have one now and he is a pansy without an ounce of malice or meanness in him. Not much in the brain department either but he is very sweet...................

Said every pit owner whos dog just bit the face off a kid or tore into/killed another human without cause. Along with: " He's never done that before."

You act like he hasn't been around infants before. My wife is pregnant with twins and my dog will be a part of their life once they are born. He found a litter of kittens and played with them. Any dog has the potential to cause harm the same way a person has that potential.

Feminist make the same claim about men using your logic. Many of them believe that all men are rapist even the ones that haven't raped anyone yet. It is much safer to say that more men are rapist then dogs are killers of people so who should people be afraid of more?

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: blkt2] #8806880 02/23/23 03:27 PM
S
splash556 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by splash556

You act like he hasn't been around infants before. My wife is pregnant with twins and my dog will be a part of their life once they are born. He found a litter of kittens and played with them. Any dog has the potential to cause harm the same way a person has that potential.

Feminist make the same claim about men using your logic. Many of them believe that all men are rapist even the ones that haven't raped anyone yet. It is much safer to say that more men are rapist then dogs are killers of people so who should people be afraid of more?

Yep, you sound like a pit owner. Hope it works out for you.

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: ntxtrapper] #8806902 02/23/23 03:55 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Yes, I do own a pitbull. I've commented on that fact multiple times through this thread. A child, your child, or anyone's child has a much greater probability of dying in a car crash than being attacked and killed by a dog. And yet as I drive around every day I see children riding in cars. Some people are bad drivers and they still drive with their children, some people drive drunk with their children, some people drive cars that are not in a safe mechanical condition and they still drive with their children in them. Some dog owners are also irresponsible.

When I was in my early teens a neighbor had their infant mauled to death by a golden retriever. I don't hear people bad-mouthing golden retrievers because of that. One of the people that made national news had to have a face transplant because of a mauling from a black lab. No one talks bad about black labs. Another woman who oddly enough had to have a face transplant was mauled by a chimpanzee that was a pet. The chimp had a history of aggression and Animal Control kept returning it to her. She won a near 8 million settlement against the state for failing to euthanize the chimpanzee even though she fought tooth and nail to get it back from them. Don't recall anyone getting upset about chimpanzees. When I was about 7 years old I got absolutely shredded by an alley cat that I was trying to help and left a dripping blood trail all the way home. To me cats are more unpredictable than a dog is, their body language is much harder to read. Dogs on the other hand are extremely easy to read and if you understand the cues that they are giving you even the most aggressive dog assuming that it wasn't trained to attack and being ordered to do so you can get to back off, or at least I can.

I have a wealthy client and they have a fleet of pitbulls. When their daughter was four or five she would come out to see me when I was there to clean their pool and the dogs would basically surround her and protect her. They would watch me and they were absolutely trembling waiting for me to show some signs of aggression to that little girl. It was like watching a toddler walk around with a loaded shotgun. After a while the dogs realized I was basically family and they loved me like they loved their actual family. That little girl is now in her twenties and is quite successful despite living amongst a bunch of pit bulls from the moment she was born. Golly gee, it must be a miracle that she survived.

Males can live in fear, men don't.

Edit: Now that I think about it it's probably a pretty safe bet to say that more parents or guardians kill their children every year then children die from dog attacks. I'll have to do some research when I'm at home on my computer instead of on a phone to find out if that is actually true.

Last edited by blkt2; 02/23/23 04:07 PM.
Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: blkt2] #8806932 02/23/23 04:47 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Yes, I do own a pitbull. I've commented on that fact multiple times through this thread. A child, your child, or anyone's child has a much greater probability of dying in a car crash than being attacked and killed by a dog. And yet as I drive around every day I see children riding in cars. Some people are bad drivers and they still drive with their children, some people drive drunk with their children, some people drive cars that are not in a safe mechanical condition and they still drive with their children in them. Some dog owners are also irresponsible.

When I was in my early teens a neighbor had their infant mauled to death by a golden retriever. I don't hear people bad-mouthing golden retrievers because of that. One of the people that made national news had to have a face transplant because of a mauling from a black lab. No one talks bad about black labs. Another woman who oddly enough had to have a face transplant was mauled by a chimpanzee that was a pet. The chimp had a history of aggression and Animal Control kept returning it to her. She won a near 8 million settlement against the state for failing to euthanize the chimpanzee even though she fought tooth and nail to get it back from them. Don't recall anyone getting upset about chimpanzees. When I was about 7 years old I got absolutely shredded by an alley cat that I was trying to help and left a dripping blood trail all the way home. To me cats are more unpredictable than a dog is, their body language is much harder to read. Dogs on the other hand are extremely easy to read and if you understand the cues that they are giving you even the most aggressive dog assuming that it wasn't trained to attack and being ordered to do so you can get to back off, or at least I can.

I have a wealthy client and they have a fleet of pitbulls. When their daughter was four or five she would come out to see me when I was there to clean their pool and the dogs would basically surround her and protect her. They would watch me and they were absolutely trembling waiting for me to show some signs of aggression to that little girl. It was like watching a toddler walk around with a loaded shotgun. After a while the dogs realized I was basically family and they loved me like they loved their actual family. That little girl is now in her twenties and is quite successful despite living amongst a bunch of pit bulls from the moment she was born. Golly gee, it must be a miracle that she survived.

Males can live in fear, men don't.

Edit: Now that I think about it it's probably a pretty safe bet to say that more parents or guardians kill their children every year then children die from dog attacks. I'll have to do some research when I'm at home on my computer instead of on a phone to find out if that is actually true.

Good for you. I am trying to understand why so many insurance companies place automatic canine exclusions on pit bulls and other dog breeds with a tendency to generate large claims. I wonder what they are thinking?

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: ntxtrapper] #8806934 02/23/23 04:49 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Oh, I forgot. Actuaries don't rely on their feelings and rely on numbers (proven performance).

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: Hudbone] #8806940 02/23/23 05:04 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Oh, I forgot. Actuaries don't rely on their feelings and rely on numbers (proven performance).

Yes, and last year insurer's paid out 797 million dollars in claims for dog bites in 2022 in the US.

FYI: There is no such dog as a pitbull. The AKC doesn't recognize it as a breed.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: blkt2] #8806944 02/23/23 05:17 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H

Yes, and last year insurer's paid out 797 million dollars in claims for dog bites in 2022 in the US.

FYI: There is no such dog as a pitbull. The AKC doesn't recognize it as a breed.

Who the heck cares (rats arse comes to mind) if it is a recognized breed, big deal and an irrelevant smoke screen. Someone else said it about porn, I know it when I see it.

Look up Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: Hudbone] #8806951 02/23/23 05:30 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

Who the heck cares (rats arse comes to mind) if it is a recognized breed, big deal and an irrelevant smoke screen. Someone else said it about porn, I know it when I see it.

Look up Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

My point was people referring to pit bulls when what they're actually describing are physical characteristics of certain breeds of dogs. Broadhead, muscular build, significant taper to their bodies, Etc.

American bulldogs, American Staffordshire terriers, American Pit Bull Terriers, English terriers, boxers, these are all dogs that frequently get categorized as pitbulls. I DNA tested my dog to find out exactly what he was. Considering that all of the dogs that are categorized as pit bulls are probably the most abused animals in the United States it's no wonder they have a bad reputation.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: ntxtrapper] #8806952 02/23/23 05:33 PM
J
Jamoke Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Born and raised in the Country. It was an understanding that Any dog on your property was there to kill your livestock. Heck we would put down our own dogs that couldn't learn to not kill chickens. That happened only once that I can remember. If they killed one chicken my father would tie that dead chicken to the dogs neck in a way they couldn't get to it. He would leave it there for 2-3 weeks. After that most dogs would let a chicken stand on their back without showing any signs of aggression, or they would just walk the other way. Same dogs knew they could hunt and kill rabbits and racoons. Most learned to leave skunks and porcupines alone after one encounter.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: Jamoke] #8806980 02/23/23 06:41 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Jamoke
. . . If they killed one chicken my father would tie that dead chicken to the dogs neck in a way they couldn't get to it. He would leave it there for 2-3 weeks. After that most dogs would let a chicken stand on their back without showing any signs of aggression, or they would just walk the other way. . . . .

Yep

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: ntxtrapper] #8806993 02/23/23 07:11 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I’m confused… dogs attacked a hunter and somehow we are being lectured about using selfdefense on a dog.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide