Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Lease Question [Re: RussellWayne] #8806248 02/22/23 05:06 PM
R
RussellWayne Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
very good point people. Thank you. I wil go forward and ask for the electricity fees back. We should have no problems with that. THANKS AGAIN.

You have to remember, they might not be drinking as much as we are.
Re: Lease Question [Re: RussellWayne] #8806267 02/22/23 05:33 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by RussellWayne
very good point people. Thank you. I wil go forward and ask for the electricity fees back. We should have no problems with that. THANKS AGAIN.

Keeping a deer lease and getting another one is a tough task. (I have paid to be on a lease 35 or so years) It's the only place where you are the customer, but still need to act like a guest. Before you ask for your $ back, think about your end game. Are they influential in the area, and would they be helpful in finding a new lease? No chance at all they'd have you back someday? Maybe just see it as an investment in finding a new place. If you have anything to gain by just moving on and letting them know how much you enjoyed the place, that's a card you may consider playing.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Lease Question [Re: RussellWayne] #8806272 02/22/23 05:37 PM
J
JB1316 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
The $100 a month for electric sounds like a no brainer. You've paid for something the owner never even spent money on, so that's easy and I'd not feel weird at all about asking for that to be refunded.

For the lease itself - I'd ask myself (or any party in the group) if I really intended to use the place over the months lost. If you exclusively use the lease during deer season (outside of maybe some prep work) then you've not lost anything so I'd not ask for a refund. You got you were paying for.
But, if you actually like going out and camping, hog hunt etc, year around, then you should be fine to ask for a partial refund. When you paid him, your intent would have been to use the place all year and you're losing out on 4 months of the 12 you paid for.

Re: Lease Question [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8806273 02/22/23 05:37 PM
R
RussellWayne Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

Keeping a deer lease and getting another one is a tough task. (I have paid to be on a lease 35 or so years) It's the only place where you are the customer, but still need to act like a guest. Before you ask for your $ back, think about your end game. Are they influential in the area, and would they be helpful in finding a new lease? No chance at all they'd have you back someday? Maybe just see it as an investment in finding a new place. If you have anything to gain by just moving on and letting them know how much you enjoyed the place, that's a card you may consider playing.

Not an issue in this. The person we lease from are good friends. We are not planning on dipping back into the lease business. We have family land that we will transition to.

You have to remember, they might not be drinking as much as we are.
Re: Lease Question [Re: RussellWayne] #8806280 02/22/23 05:45 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

Not an issue in this. The person we lease from are good friends. We are not planning on dipping back into the lease business. We have family land that we will transition to.

Well, there you have it.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Lease Question [Re: J.G.] #8806301 02/22/23 06:11 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by J.G.
Originally Posted by BenBob
Just because someone else owns the land, it does not let them do whatever they want. Fair is fair.

Legally, yes it does.

But it is ethically wrong.

I bought my land in November. The rancher had paid the lease from April to April. I could have kicked him off, but I did not. I let him keep running cattle until the next April.

A lease is signed with the previous owner. The partial refund should come from the previous owner. The new owner can do whatever they want. BTW, good on you for keeping the previous owner's commitment.

Re: Lease Question [Re: RussellWayne] #8806314 02/22/23 06:34 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Ask yourself, are you willing to ruin a friendship over the amount of money you'd ask for? Because that's a real possibility.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Lease Question [Re: J.G.] #8806334 02/22/23 07:12 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Just because someone else owns the land, it does not let them do whatever they want.

Folks saying things like this is why there are almost no leases around here anymore.

Re: Lease Question [Re: psycho0819] #8806408 02/22/23 09:26 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by psycho0819
Ask yourself, are you willing to ruin a friendship over the amount of money you'd ask for? Because that's a real possibility.

That appears to be something that works both ways in this situation.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Lease Question [Re: ntxtrapper] #8806436 02/22/23 10:05 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Just because someone else owns the land, it does not let them do whatever they want.

Folks saying things like this is why there are almost no leases around here anymore.

Fact checked true.

My opinion...I am guessing the 100 p/m is an average of the electric billing with the majority of that being burnt during the season (OP said that it's year round with the rare family weekend during the off season). Doesn't hurt to ask but demand as some folks have said is a great way to ruin what sounds like a pretty good relationship and friend.

Good luck OP...sucks but it's leasing.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Lease Question [Re: RussellWayne] #8806482 02/22/23 11:11 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Why would it ruin the relationship? The guy is owed money, he paid for something he did not receive. If it does ruin the relationship, then that person isn't worth having in your life anyway, because they clearly are willing to steal from you and not honor the promise they made. When it comes to friendships, money will generally tell you exactly where you stand with them.

If you really don't want to make a big deal out of it, I'd ask them....."Hey, we leased this land for 12 months, and pre-paid for 12 months of electricity bills. How would you like to handle it?" Then just sit and wait. If they value the relationship and staying honorable, then they will gladly pay you back.

Re: Lease Question [Re: RussellWayne] #8806794 02/23/23 01:00 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Well said Doc.

But, remember the most famous line in the book/movie “The Godfather”?

“Nothing personal, it’s just business.” The Godfather book was essentially about the business world. Read it again and watch for that angle. What angle? Money and power.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 02/23/23 01:01 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide