Print Thread
North Texas/Oklahoma Lab breeders #8805332 02/21/23 02:07 AM
S
steve_twice Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
We are considering adding another Lab to the family in the next few months and wondering what breeders you guys have had a good experience with. Will be a house dog that hunts so not looking for a super high-octane go-getter kind of line. Our labs have always been on the smaller side, 60-65 pounds, stocky, good with kids. Flexible on color. Thanks.

Re: North Texas/Oklahoma Lab breeders [Re: steve_twice] #8805361 02/21/23 02:50 AM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
Is Abalene north enough, if so check with a guy the board BradyBuck, I think he mentioned he was breeding his girl this spring

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: North Texas/Oklahoma Lab breeders [Re: steve_twice] #8805401 02/21/23 04:01 AM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
My last lab came from marks a lot kennels in Caddo mills, that was back in the late 90s.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: North Texas/Oklahoma Lab breeders [Re: steve_twice] #8805408 02/21/23 04:21 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I would look at a British Lab. They are known to have a better off switch than American labs. If you didn't know, British labs are not English labs, they are different things.

I got mine from southern oak kennels, and I was on a wait list for over a year to get matched with the right breeding. Just make sure you find a kennel that does health clearance testing, and has a guarantee. Any reputable breeder will have a 2 year guarantee on their dogs.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: North Texas/Oklahoma Lab breeders [Re: 2flyfish4] #8805420 02/21/23 05:06 AM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by 2flyfish4
My last lab came from marks a lot kennels in Caddo mills, that was back in the late 90s.

I’ve got a great one sitting next to me that came from marks a lot as well. I spoke with Dan on Saturday and he said he was expecting a litter to hit the ground today… I’d for sure give him a call.

Re: North Texas/Oklahoma Lab breeders [Re: steve_twice] #8805466 02/21/23 12:21 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: North Texas/Oklahoma Lab breeders [Re: steve_twice] #8805630 02/21/23 05:25 PM
S
stevehong Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Check out https://blazinggundogs.com/

Tim has great dogs - I've hunted with him and his dogs a few times over the last couple years, great dogs, great guy.

Re: North Texas/Oklahoma Lab breeders [Re: stevehong] #8805706 02/21/23 08:13 PM
H
Hailyeah Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Originally Posted by stevehong

Tim has great dogs - I've hunted with him and his dogs a few times over the last couple years, great dogs, great guy.

+1

[Lone Watie hears a gun [censored] behind him; turns and sees Moonlight]

Lone Watie : It's not right, this damn woman doing something like this to me. I used to have power. Now old age is creeping up on me.

Josey Wales : More like old habits than old age.
Re: North Texas/Oklahoma Lab breeders [Re: KWood_TSU] #8805709 02/21/23 08:22 PM
B
blancobuster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
I would look at a British Lab. They are known to have a better off switch than American labs. If you didn't know, British labs are not English labs, they are different things.

I got mine from southern oak kennels, and I was on a wait list for over a year to get matched with the right breeding. Just make sure you find a kennel that does health clearance testing, and has a guarantee. Any reputable breeder will have a 2 year guarantee on their dogs.

How are you liking your dog? I am getting a puppy from SOK in Kansas in the next couple of months, I put my deposit in almost a year ago. I know several people who have gotten dogs from them and are very happy. Love their smaller framed dogs and that they hunt their dogs.

My current dog I got from a forum member as a puppy, he will be 9 in March and has been healthy as a horse his entire life. I love him to death and he has been a wonderful dog for my first lab, but he is 84 lbs and he gets eaten alive upland hunting. He is also a whiner which is apparently an American hunt test breeding trait.

Re: North Texas/Oklahoma Lab breeders [Re: blancobuster] #8805806 02/22/23 12:53 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by blancobuster
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

How are you liking your dog? I am getting a puppy from SOK in Kansas in the next couple of months, I put my deposit in almost a year ago. I know several people who have gotten dogs from them and are very happy. Love their smaller framed dogs and that they hunt their dogs.

My current dog I got from a forum member as a puppy, he will be 9 in March and has been healthy as a horse his entire life. I love him to death and he has been a wonderful dog for my first lab, but he is 84 lbs and he gets eaten alive upland hunting. He is also a whiner which is apparently an American hunt test breeding trait.

I really like him. Need to do some more training to get him where he needs to be, but he's a hard charging dude.

I also agree that whining is more genetics than a learned behavior.
I've got more pics on my Instagram if you want to check it out, Kolton1213.
I got a video too, I wish I had more videos, the dude loves cripples. He's tackled a couple of cranes this year just hitting them with full steam.
What i like about these SOK dogs, and British labs in general is the muscle tone they have. He weighs 65#.
What litter are you getting a puppy from?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: North Texas/Oklahoma Lab breeders [Re: KWood_TSU] #8806224 02/22/23 04:29 PM
B
blancobuster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Good looking dog! Mine is coming from Boone and Cher both of whom I believe stay in Kansas. Boone is Noah's dog, who runs their Flint Hills operation.

https://www.southernoakkennels.com/labradors/glassgreen-cosmos-boone/

https://www.southernoakkennels.com/labradors/cher/

Here is my big boy after getting all he could handle in nodak

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: North Texas/Oklahoma Lab breeders [Re: Hailyeah] #8806225 02/22/23 04:30 PM
S
stevehong Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted by Hailyeah
Originally Posted by stevehong

+1

[Linked Image]

Re: North Texas/Oklahoma Lab breeders [Re: steve_twice] #8806226 02/22/23 04:34 PM
B
blancobuster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
labs are just the best...period

Re: North Texas/Oklahoma Lab breeders [Re: steve_twice] #8806308 02/22/23 06:17 PM
T
TrackQuack Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
T
I have a 9 month old SOK pup out of Moose & Chase. She is a little retrieving machine and has a lot of good qualities, I just had to put down my once in a lifetime pup so she can't fill those shoes but is turning out to being a great dog. They have a lot of large litters which has eliminated some of the wait list challenges. Look for a breeder that target the qualities you rank the highest and go for those.

British or American - all house dogs that hunt still need to be conditioned year round, they will always be better in the house and field for it.

To me, waiting for the right breeder regardless of location is worth it in the long run compared to convenience.

Re: North Texas/Oklahoma Lab breeders [Re: TrackQuack] #8806966 02/23/23 06:14 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by TrackQuack
I have a 9 month old SOK pup out of Moose & Chase. She is a little retrieving machine and has a lot of good qualities, I just had to put down my once in a lifetime pup so she can't fill those shoes but is turning out to being a great dog. They have a lot of large litters which has eliminated some of the wait list challenges. Look for a breeder that target the qualities you rank the highest and go for those.

British or American - all house dogs that hunt still need to be conditioned year round, they will always be better in the house and field for it.

To me, waiting for the right breeder regardless of location is worth it in the long run compared to convenience.

I've heard really good things about moose.

Your last statement can't be stated enough. You're about to make around a 10 year commitment, so finding the right pairing is important, and so overlooked. Buying a dog for convenience, and might be a little cheaper, isn't necessarily the route to take. Do the research, find the breeder, and wait. It just improves your odds of getting a good dog.

Re: North Texas/Oklahoma Lab breeders [Re: steve_twice] #8807712 02/24/23 10:00 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Washita Retrievers in Marlow, OK is another one. http://www.washita.com/

Jeff is a little unique, but he's great with dogs.

Re: North Texas/Oklahoma Lab breeders [Re: steve_twice] #8807742 02/24/23 10:51 PM
C
claypool Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Texas Duck Dogs owned by wade Cashion. He is in Krum, Texas. He is worth having a conversation with before you make a decision. I will tell you straight up. They won’t be cheap.

Blazing Gun Dogs was mentioned previously. That is also an excellent choice. Tim however is in Magnolia, Texas. He breeds for dogs whose temperament fits his training program. I can list several others if you need more options, but you won’t go wrong with Texas Duck Dogs.

Re: North Texas/Oklahoma Lab breeders [Re: 2flyfish4] #8807950 02/25/23 04:27 AM
Wburke2010 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by 2flyfish4

Just make sure you get everything in writing or he will find a way to [censored] you.

MW Ranch Services
903-303-4523
Metal buildings, welding, equipment repair, dirt work
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide