Print Thread
Everything is Better w/ Bacon #8805330 02/21/23 02:05 AM
B
Blank Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Wife heading home from the kids/grandkids in Boise, so I saved the last of my good brisket for her dinner tonight. Sweet onions on a hoagie roll, brown sugar baked beans, fresh green beans with bacon (her favorite), and Season Salt potato wedges, wrapped in bacon. I'm about to bust!!! smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Everything is Better w/ Bacon [Re: Blank] #8805542 02/21/23 02:47 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Interesting. What's the story on those Season Salt potato wedges, wrapped in bacon?

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Everything is Better w/ Bacon [Re: Blank] #8805606 02/21/23 04:50 PM
B
Blank Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
We just love eating potatoes, and at a price of $20 for a 50# box of fresh ones at the warehouse you can't beat it. I make a lot of bakers and fries, and the wife likes steak fries and wedges. Boil them for 10 minutes, while you microwave the bacon for 2-3 minutes to get rid of most of the grease. Then wrap and bake for 20-25 minutes and they are super tender and the bacon is perfectly crisp. Just another change in meals

Re: Everything is Better w/ Bacon [Re: Blank] #8805702 02/21/23 08:01 PM
1955 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Yes sir, that looks awesome ! up

Re: Everything is Better w/ Bacon [Re: Blank] #8805745 02/21/23 10:06 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Blank
We just love eating potatoes, and at a price of $20 for a 50# box of fresh ones at the warehouse you can't beat it. I make a lot of bakers and fries, and the wife likes steak fries and wedges. Boil them for 10 minutes, while you microwave the bacon for 2-3 minutes to get rid of most of the grease. Then wrap and bake for 20-25 minutes and they are super tender and the bacon is perfectly crisp. Just another change in meals

I'm right there with you on potatoes, love em. I'll have to try this, thanks.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Everything is Better w/ Bacon [Re: Blank] #8805778 02/21/23 11:46 PM
S
spacejunkie Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
Looks great. How did you cook the beans?

Re: Everything is Better w/ Bacon [Re: Blank] #8805790 02/22/23 12:24 AM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
food you out do yourself every time!

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Everything is Better w/ Bacon [Re: Blank] #8805890 02/22/23 02:07 AM
B
Blank Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Beans are pretty personal, and everybody has their favorite recipe. Your wife's are the VERY best you've eaten (even if they aren't). I like a little work, but cheat some too!!

* 2 slices of bacon, diced
* 1 small sweet onion, diced
* 1 bell pepper, diced
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
* 1/4 TO 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (optional, if you don’t like chipotle)
* ¼ teaspoon salt
* ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
* 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
* 2 tablespoons Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce
* 2 tablespoons ketchup
* 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
* 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
* 2 (22 ounce) cans baked beans (Bush’s Grillin’ Beans are great for this recipe)
* 2 slices browned bacon, for topping (optional)

* Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
* Heat a large (oven safe, if you don’t want to transfer) skillet over medium-low heat and add the bacon. Cook until it’s brown and crisp and most of the fat is rendered.
* Stir in the onion, pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until everything softens, about 5 minutes
* Stir in the paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, BBQ sauce, ketchup, mustard and brown sugar until combined.
* Stir in the baked beans directly from the can. Bring the entire mixture to a boil, then turn off the heat. I suggest tasting the beans here and adding more salt, pepper or heat if desired. If you'd like, you can lay a few strips of bacon on top of
* the beans here too
* Place the skillet (or transfer to an oven-safe dish) in the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until bubbly and syrupy. Remove and let cool slightly before serving.
* You can make these ahead of time - cook them in the skillet, then let cool to room temperature and cover, placing in the fridge. Bake the next day (or whenever you’re ready!).
* These also freeze wel in smaller containers, or zip lock bagsl!

Re: Everything is Better w/ Bacon [Re: Blank] #8806138 02/22/23 02:32 PM
T
TPACK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Beans are pretty personal, and everybody has their favorite recipe. Your wife's are the VERY best you've eaten (even if they aren't). I like a little work, but cheat some too!!

* 1 bell pepper, diced
* 1/4 TO 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (optional, if you don’t like chipotle)
* ¼ teaspoon salt
* 2 tablespoons ketchup
* 2 (22 ounce) cans baked beans (Bush’s Grillin’ Beans are great for this recipe)

* Heat a large (oven safe, if you don’t want to transfer) skillet over medium-low heat and add the bacon. Cook until it’s brown and crisp and most of the fat is rendered.
* Stir in the onion, pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until everything softens, about 5 minutes
* Stir in the paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, BBQ sauce, ketchup, mustard and brown sugar until combined.
* Stir in the baked beans directly from the can. Bring the entire mixture to a boil, then turn off the heat. I suggest tasting the beans here and adding more salt, pepper or heat if desired. If you'd like, you can lay a few strips of bacon on top of
* the beans here too
* Place the skillet (or transfer to an oven-safe dish) in the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until bubbly and syrupy. Remove and let cool slightly before serving.
* You can make these ahead of time - cook them in the skillet, then let cool to room temperature and cover, placing in the fridge. Bake the next day (or whenever you’re ready!).

I used to cook mine like my mother did. She added the chopped onion and bell pepper without pre/sautéing to the beans. Then she put uncooked bacon strips on top of the beans and placed in the oven for an hour........ I pre-cook the bacon (8 slices) and coarse chop after cooling. Sauté the onion, fresh garlic and bell pepper then add them and the bacon to the VC Pork and Beans. I only add ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, Worchester sauce to mine. The bacon usually adds enough salt for my taste. May have to try the chili powder and apple cider vinegar. I put ACV in my potato salad and macaroni salad both. I can cook mine in 1/2 the time as my mothers, since I`m basically warming everything and not having to cook the bacon, onions and bell peppers.

Re: Everything is Better w/ Bacon [Re: Blank] #8806295 02/22/23 06:05 PM
S
spacejunkie Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S

* 1 bell pepper, diced
* ¼ teaspoon salt
* 2 tablespoons ketchup

* the beans here too

Thanks for the recipe. I will be trying it soon.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide