Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Decked systems? #8802870 02/16/23 09:08 PM
EasyMoney Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Looking for pros and cons of a decked system? I have a half ton ram and just wanted to get some opinions on em before I pulled the trigger. Only issue I can see is they take a lot of depth out of the bed but not sure that’s that big of a deal. Thanks in advance

Re: Decked systems? [Re: EasyMoney] #8802917 02/16/23 10:26 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I have the Decked drawer system in my '18 Silverado Crew, and love it. I'm a contractor who travels a lot and keeping tools secure/out of plain view is paramount at hotels and such when on the road. They got in my truck before I bought the drawer system and took me for about $2k worth of tools in Houston. All in loose boxes in the locked topper, right by the front door of the hotel. With the drawers, when you look thru the tinted topper glass it's difficult to see the drawer system at all. And to get in it they have to break into the topper, get the tailgate open (locks with the doors), then get into each locked drawer. I added a couple of eye-bolts, two padlocks, and a length of unistrut across the whole assembly for an additional layer. Each layer by itself is fairly easy to exploit, but all of them together would likely make a would be their move on to an easier smash and grab target. That's the hope anyway, and I haven't had another break-in since installing it.

Installation is easy if you know how to use tools. Did it in about two hours by myself. A second set of hands would make it much quicker.

Durability: I use mine almost daily, have for over two years now. Everything still functions just fine. I've piled a lot of weight on top of mine and never seen it begin to suffer. It's a tough system.

Now mine is under a topper, and always has been, so I can't speak to it's weather protection in an exposed truck bed. They claim they're weather resistant, but certainly not waterproof. I imagine mist stirred up in the truck's wake would be the most intrusive.

For tool storage and organization, they hold a lot of stuff, more than I anticipated it would. About the front 12-18" of mine remains covered by the deck with the drawer fully open so I just keep rarely used tools up there. They have organizer boxes to buy, but they are not the greatest. I keep my tools in bags, segregated by purpose. They stack neatly and are easy to grab for whatever task. I can clean a drawer out and fit 3-4 scoped rifles in soft cases.

I do notice the depth loss a little but, likely would notice it a lot more w/o the topper. If it fits in mine I don't have to worry about tying it down or things blowing out. So on that, you're on your own.

Overall, mine has been great and if I bought a new truck tomorrow I'd order another decked system for it too. It just works well for my use, but I can see how it isn't for everyone.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Decked systems? [Re: EasyMoney] #8803032 02/17/23 01:37 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
only reason not to own on is if you pull a Gooseneck

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Decked systems? [Re: EasyMoney] #8803150 02/17/23 05:51 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
My next truck will have a topper and decked drawer system. Right now I’m getting by with a Retrax tonneau cover which is bette than nothing

Re: Decked systems? [Re: EasyMoney] #8803265 02/17/23 02:55 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I wish they offered it with one drawer as I have to carry big ice chests and with my topper I don’t think they will fit.
I really want to get the Truck Vault but they are pretty pricey compared to Decked.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Decked systems? [Re: DStroud] #8803302 02/17/23 03:52 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted by DStroud
I wish they offered it with one drawer as I have to carry big ice chests and with my topper I don’t think they will fit.
I really want to get the Truck Vault but they are pretty pricey compared to Decked.

I don't know how large the ice chests are that you carry, but for reference, I can fit a 120qt cooler on top of the decked system with my topper on. My topper follows the body lines of the cab, so it's not extended height or anything like that. I think I have about 36-37" vertical clearance from the edge of the decked system to the topper door opening then it increases to about 40" or so once you get past the bottleneck point.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Decked systems? [Re: EasyMoney] #8803310 02/17/23 04:15 PM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
We installed them in several Nissan Titan's and Titan XD's. They fit great, and offer safe secure storage that is fairly waterproof. if you live or use them in a real dusty area, they will get dirt inside. You lose about 12" of your bed depth, but wasn't a problem for us and hauling cargo. The lifetime warranty is nice too. An aluminum diamond plate box can be popped open and emptied of your tools in about 10-15 seconds. No more worrying about that with Decked, and have several layers of locks, alarms, and other features to get thru first. If you really need to remove it and use the full bed, it takes two people about 20 minutes. Then re-install it later.

I will say it is a mess to clean really good, if you throw a bunch of dead deer or elk in it. Then use a tarp over it first!!!

Last edited by Blank; 02/17/23 04:17 PM.
Re: Decked systems? [Re: psycho0819] #8803429 02/17/23 07:35 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by psycho0819

I don't know how large the ice chests are that you carry, but for reference, I can fit a 120qt cooler on top of the decked system with my topper on. My topper follows the body lines of the cab, so it's not extended height or anything like that. I think I have about 36-37" vertical clearance from the edge of the decked system to the topper door opening then it increases to about 40" or so once you get past the bottleneck point.

Thanks I will check my height once I get home.
That’s the only thing holding me back

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Decked systems? [Re: DStroud] #8803461 02/17/23 08:30 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by psycho0819

Thanks I will check my height once I get home.
That’s the only thing holding me back

check out the instagram photos https://topperezlift.com/.

while I dont have decked I have a 2 piece homemade one modeled after decked, with both sides in I can fit a 250 qt yeti on top and still be to slide it in /out.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Decked systems? [Re: EasyMoney] #8803726 02/18/23 07:26 AM
EasyMoney Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Survey says it’s a good tool to have lol thanks for all the input and I do like the idea of running a camper shell for out of town trips and hunts for the added cargo room and security!

Re: Decked systems? [Re: EasyMoney] #8803923 02/18/23 05:03 PM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I should add that I liked them so much, I got something similar for my Jeep Wrangler, Only steel.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/2022-Jeep-Wrangler-(JL)-SmittybiltSmittybilt-Rear-Lockable-Storage-Box-2763

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Blank; 02/18/23 05:08 PM.
Re: Decked systems? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8806977 02/23/23 06:36 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
only reason not to own on is if you pull a Gooseneck

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Decked systems? [Re: EasyMoney] #8807958 02/25/23 05:11 AM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Got mine installed today.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Love the fact it makes it even easier to access thru side window too.
[Linked Image]

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Decked systems? [Re: EasyMoney] #8808035 02/25/23 02:18 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Congrats, I wish I had hindged side window on my camper shell

Re: Decked systems? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8809232 02/27/23 02:55 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Congrats, I wish I had hindged side window on my camper shell

exactly how I want to do my next truck. Just worried about a dog kennel being able to clear the roof of the camper shell or opening to sit on top of the decked system.

Re: Decked systems? [Re: EasyMoney] #8809324 02/27/23 05:03 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Here’s mine.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide