THF Celebrity
B
What’s a good bang for the buck? Hunting distances

Re: Rangefinder with ballistics [Re: Brother in-law] #8802025 02/15/23 12:46 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
My sig bino's, Kilo3000 BDX. On the lower end of the price point of RF Bino's. Via bluetooth you load your data and it gives you a hold based on the range.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Rangefinder with ballistics [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8802103 02/15/23 03:08 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
My sig bino's, Kilo3000 BDX. On the lower end of the price point of RF Bino's. Via bluetooth you load your data and it gives you a hold based on the range.

I can support that. I have their 2200BDX RF and in playing with it one day, it gave me correct MIL corrections for my load out to 425.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Rangefinder with ballistics [Re: Brother in-law] #8802186 02/15/23 06:26 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Brother in-law
What’s a good bang for the buck? Hunting distances

do you really really need ballistics? Do you need instant Altitude and pressure?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Rangefinder with ballistics [Re: Brother in-law] #8802191 02/15/23 06:49 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
At this stage it's foolish to buy one without the ballistics...they are too easy to setup different rifles and plug those in. My opinion.

Anything Sig seems to be making in the LRF appears to be near the top of the heap. The G7 and Vectronix Terrapin stuff seems to be good too.

The 3000bdx are binos and I don't think that is what you were asking about, BIL.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Rangefinder with ballistics [Re: Judd] #8802194 02/15/23 06:53 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Judd
At this stage it's foolish to buy one without the ballistics...they are too easy to setup different rifles and plug those in. My opinion.

Anything Sig seems to be making in the LRF appears to be near the top of the heap. The G7 and Vectronix Terrapin stuff seems to be good too.

The 3000bdx are binos and I don't think that is what you were asking about, BIL.

unless it has built in ability to gather pressure, altitude and temp, I’m using my phone

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Rangefinder with ballistics [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8802211 02/15/23 08:06 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

unless it has built in ability to gather pressure, altitude and temp, I’m using my phone

So you've just climbed an unknown amount of feet in elevation. The nervous bull elk is at the treeline below you, across the ravine, at roughly a 20 degree down angle. You range him and the RF says 488 yards, 1.5 Mils, but at this point you're going to put down the gun, pull out your phone, and try to estimate the altitude and pressure while he runs off?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Rangefinder with ballistics [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8802283 02/15/23 10:03 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

So you've just climbed an unknown amount of feet in elevation. The nervous bull elk is at the treeline below you, across the ravine, at roughly a 20 degree down angle. You range him and the RF says 488 yards, 1.5 Mils, but at this point you're going to put down the gun, pull out your phone, and try to estimate the altitude and pressure while he runs off?

Sometimes we make this stuff way too hard.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Rangefinder with ballistics [Re: Brother in-law] #8802306 02/15/23 10:30 PM
D
DStroud Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Are there RF or RF Binos that have ballistics on board that don’t gather pressure altitude and temperature? Maybe so but all the ones I have played with have that plus compass and wind input to give you wind holds if you want.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Rangefinder with ballistics [Re: Brother in-law] #8802419 02/16/23 01:05 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Helping someone choose a rf. Not binos right now

Re: Rangefinder with ballistics [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8802448 02/16/23 02:04 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

No, I use a general Density Altitude app for area I hunting and changed my cut card on my scope lens cover or screen shot and or save as screen saver. In Texas that doesn’t change a ton. Now TX to Colorado it does, but once in CO you can figure out you DA and run cut card and compare 8-10k or make two .

I have exact same range finder as you. I dont use ballistics app in RF for the exact reason I mentioned, it doesnt take pressure or altitude readings so its a manual input from the app on your phone and then sync to rangefinder. you get one DA table

my limit is about 600 on live animals. So lecia geovid r is fine compared to Sig 10k or Lecia Pro etc. Same in a non-bino, for me it just needs adjusted distance, i hunt to many different elevation though out the year.

Re: Rangefinder with ballistics [Re: DStroud] #8802461 02/16/23 02:34 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by DStroud
Are there RF or RF Binos that have ballistics on board that don’t gather pressure altitude and temperature? Maybe so but all the ones I have played with have that plus compass and wind input to give you wind holds if you want.

yes, manual inputs.

Re: Rangefinder with ballistics [Re: Brother in-law] #8802466 02/16/23 02:47 AM
T
Theringworm Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
I am a gear junkie to some degree. I have two rangefinders with integrated ballistic calculators. They are one of my favorite pieces of electronics. Go to the range, get dope on ammo from the chronograph. Input info into the rangefinder app. Sync it over to the rangefinder. Go hunt. 1 push of the button and I have everything I need, even a preset wind hold set at 5 mph from 3 o’clock so I can easily manually calculate holdovers. It really doesn’t get any simpler.

But then again, I don’t want/like a combo bino/rangefinder setup so it’s ideal for my needs.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide