Page 1 of 2 1 2
Passing it Along #8799227 02/10/23 05:31 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
As I reflect on the past deer season and more importantly, the 8th one since my Dad's passing, I vividly recall back to 1985 hunting our lease down in Zapata county. I was a high school sophomore in Corpus and had multiple friends whose parents and/or grandparents had never been hunters, yet they knew I had hunted since age 5/6 with my Dad having taught us brothers. Anyhow, he allowed me to invite 2-3 of them out with us to show them the outdoors and what hunting was and more importantly what it wasn't. Anyhow, my one friend whom had only been to a shooting range previously, was put up one foggy morning into one of our hot tower blinds. We hear two early shots as the fog was starting to lift and when we picked him up around 10:00am, he tells us, "he got one, his first deer - a doe". Anyhow, he had dragged this young, deer, maybe 80 lbs. or so to the road and it was obvious to Dad and I that Curtis had shot a 1st year yearling. Dad's reaction was, "Congratulations Curtis, you did good". Anyhow, the best is yet to come. We get back to camp and hoist Curtis' doe up on the rack and Dad starts to demonstrate and advise Curtis on how to clean the deer. About 3 minutes into it, Dad (Jerry) says, "Curtis, congratulations you accomplished something else with this deer" and Curtis asks, "yeah, what is that Jerry". Dad looks at him and says, "Curtis, not only did you get your first deer, you also dropped your first buck, his balls seem to have just dropped". Turns out, Curtis' yearling killed was also a yearling buck. After some laughing and yucking it up, Dad guided Curtis through the deer cleaning and at the end congratulated him again on the kill and the cleaning job too. Long story short, my Dad, Jerry, could have been a real jerk about the situation, but life was/is too short and the joy that Curtis felt in harvesting his first deer ever - buck ever far outweighed the need to rain on it. To this day, 38 years later, Curtis is still a hunter and actually volunteers as a cook and guide for some of Texas' TPWD sponsored youth hunts annually around the state and to my knowledge has never shot another yearling either.

Dad taught me a lot, tons but the biggest thing he ever taught me was the gift of compassion and understanding of others...Being the bigger person is something that many in today's society have lost but thankfully, it still can be easily found if you simply look for it...

Last edited by DQ Kid; 02/10/23 05:34 PM.
Re: Passing it Along [Re: DQ Kid] #8799233 02/10/23 05:40 PM
wingmaster23 Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
Sounds like a great father and mentor!

Re: Passing it Along [Re: DQ Kid] #8799244 02/10/23 05:54 PM
D
driftwood257 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Greatness

Re: Passing it Along [Re: DQ Kid] #8799289 02/10/23 07:36 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I also had an amazing father who took the time to introduce me to this amazing past time. Looking for ward to hunting with him and my uncle again up in paradise. I know they have done the necessary scouting and my transition will be a piece of cake!!!

Re: Passing it Along [Re: DQ Kid] #8799327 02/10/23 08:58 PM
B
Bowhunter 64 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Great story, it’s good to have family and friends like that. All of life should be easy just like that!!!! It’s not that hard to be compassionate.

Re: Passing it Along [Re: DQ Kid] #8799330 02/10/23 09:03 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Great lesson in that story.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Passing it Along [Re: Bowhunter 64] #8799358 02/10/23 09:38 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Bowhunter 64
Great story, it’s good to have family and friends like that. All of life should be easy just like that!!!! It’s not that hard to be compassionate.

Amen, Dad regarded life as a myriad of learning opportunities, things to be done, things to be learned from. He was truly a "glass half full vs half empty" kind of guy. I attempt to replicate the lead he created for me in all I do...

Last edited by DQ Kid; 02/10/23 09:39 PM.
Re: Passing it Along [Re: DQ Kid] #8799369 02/10/23 09:56 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
up sounds just like something my dad would have done ...

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Passing it Along [Re: DQ Kid] #8799372 02/10/23 10:01 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Your dad obviously had perspective about what's really important in life. I've been in deer camp with similar men. 'Also been in camp with the exact opposite.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Passing it Along [Re: DQ Kid] #8799798 02/11/23 08:30 PM
J
jskin Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
The recreation of the sport as it should be, not the business that it is today

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: Passing it Along [Re: DQ Kid] #8800082 02/12/23 12:59 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
My Dad taught me everything I know about hunting - picture is from 1972.

I then taught my son what my Dad taught me about hunting.

Now I am teaching my grandkids what my Dad taught me about hunting.

Honest mistakes will be made if you hunting long enough - what is important IMO is to learn from that so you do not make the same mistake again.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You can't fix stupid
Re: Passing it Along [Re: DQ Kid] #8800139 02/12/23 02:58 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
4 tlk generations. up

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Passing it Along [Re: DQ Kid] #8800151 02/12/23 03:30 PM
L
Longhorn74 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
L
[Linked Image]

There is nothing better than teaching the next generation. My grandson is learning from his dad, plus his granddad (me). He’s enjoying being in the outdoors and learning all the proper ways to hunt. Also, to respect fellow hunters correctly.

Re: Passing it Along [Re: DQ Kid] #8800172 02/12/23 03:53 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
As I reflect on the past deer season and more importantly, the 8th one since my Dad's passing, I vividly recall back to 1985 hunting our lease down in Zapata county. I was a high school sophomore in Corpus and had multiple friends whose parents and/or grandparents had never been hunters, yet they knew I had hunted since age 5/6 with my Dad having taught us brothers. Anyhow, he allowed me to invite 2-3 of them out with us to show them the outdoors and what hunting was and more importantly what it wasn't. Anyhow, my one friend whom had only been to a shooting range previously, was put up one foggy morning into one of our hot tower blinds. We hear two early shots as the fog was starting to lift and when we picked him up around 10:00am, he tells us, "he got one, his first deer - a doe". Anyhow, he had dragged this young, deer, maybe 80 lbs. or so to the road and it was obvious to Dad and I that Curtis had shot a 1st year yearling. Dad's reaction was, "Congratulations Curtis, you did good". Anyhow, the best is yet to come. We get back to camp and hoist Curtis' doe up on the rack and Dad starts to demonstrate and advise Curtis on how to clean the deer. About 3 minutes into it, Dad (Jerry) says, "Curtis, congratulations you accomplished something else with this deer" and Curtis asks, "yeah, what is that Jerry". Dad looks at him and says, "Curtis, not only did you get your first deer, you also dropped your first buck, his balls seem to have just dropped". Turns out, Curtis' yearling killed was also a yearling buck. After some laughing and yucking it up, Dad guided Curtis through the deer cleaning and at the end congratulated him again on the kill and the cleaning job too. Long story short, my Dad, Jerry, could have been a real jerk about the situation, but life was/is too short and the joy that Curtis felt in harvesting his first deer ever - buck ever far outweighed the need to rain on it. To this day, 38 years later, Curtis is still a hunter and actually volunteers as a cook and guide for some of Texas' TPWD sponsored youth hunts annually around the state and to my knowledge has never shot another yearling either.

Dad taught me a lot, tons but the biggest thing he ever taught me was the gift of compassion and understanding of others...Being the bigger person is something that many in today's society have lost but thankfully, it still can be easily found if you simply look for it...

Well said David.

Re: Passing it Along [Re: DQ Kid] #8800197 02/12/23 04:30 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Two things that you can watch a man handle and use that will tell you a lot about him - A golf club and a firearm.

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Passing it Along [Re: Texas Dan] #8800224 02/12/23 04:48 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Two things that you can watch a man handle and use that will tell you a lot about him - A golf club and a firearm.

100 Percent Dan. Well said. Great story DQ

Re: Passing it Along [Re: Texas Dan] #8800301 02/12/23 06:35 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F

What does how a man handles a golf club tell you about him?

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Passing it Along [Re: freerange] #8800338 02/12/23 07:05 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by freerange

Probably attention to detail and calmness and control, just a guess but like to think I know how to each, well..

Re: Passing it Along [Re: freerange] #8800378 02/12/23 08:21 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

Certainly a skill that not all men have. It tells you more about character than anything else. You can learn a lot about someone by the way they play the game, their attitude and respect for the game and most importantly if they cheat. If they cheat at golf, they cheat in other aspects of life and have issues that I have no time for.

Re: Passing it Along [Re: DQ Kid] #8800385 02/12/23 08:32 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted by DQ Kid

Probably attention to detail and calmness and control, just a guess but like to think I know how to each, well..

In the first minute of this trailer the imitations of other golfers tells a little. One that was left out of the trailer in the movie was after hitting the ball stomping around and on the club after throwing it down cussing. Just watching a golfer swing can tell a lot about the person

There is a reason they put in a delay in broadcasting Tigers golf shots on TV broadcasts a little off and words not for Television could be heard loud and clear.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Passing it Along [Re: freerange] #8800541 02/13/23 12:59 AM
J
jskin Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J

I don’t play golf. Am I loser lol

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: Passing it Along [Re: DQ Kid] #8800542 02/13/23 01:03 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Golf and hunting are two totally different things IMO - I do both - golf is a tough sport to master especially if you play by the rules

Hunting is a sport that can be learned by anyone - no special skills other than doing the right thing at all times -

For me there is zero comparison between the two

Last edited by tlk; 02/13/23 01:04 AM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Passing it Along [Re: 4Weight] #8800552 02/13/23 01:18 AM
D
DQ Kid Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by 4Weight

Certainly a skill that not all men have. It tells you more about character than anything else. You can learn a lot about someone by the way they play the game, their attitude and respect for the game and most importantly if they cheat. If they cheat at golf, they cheat in other aspects of life and have issues that I have no time for.

Think 4Weight nailed Texas Dan's sentiments!!

Re: Passing it Along [Re: DQ Kid] #8800566 02/13/23 01:28 AM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Just about the only place I use profanity is on a golf course.

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Passing it Along [Re: jskin] #8800569 02/13/23 01:32 AM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by jskin

I don’t play golf. Am I loser lol

Hell no you're not a loser. Golf is a sick game. I love it but it takes no prisoners, at any level.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide