Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8813391 03/06/23 05:30 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Yeah that's him. I have no problem with somebody that only hunts his lease and with guides on private land, but don't come on here and start telling experienced public hunters what they need to do. Seems cut of the same cloth.

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8814479 03/08/23 12:36 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Well…

That was an entertaining read.

Looking forward to see how this project turns out. My guess is that they kill a duck or two on flooded corn in Kansas but it’s just a guess.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Wetland Project [Re: HuntnFly67] #8817694 03/14/23 03:56 AM
B
BarneyWho Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
B
Sorry. With all the azzhatery in this thread, I missed someone who actually had legitimate questions.

Originally Posted by HuntnFly67
Is there a tax advantage for building wetlands?

I'm not CPA, so I'm not sure how to answer this for you. Yes there can be tax advantages. Everyone's situation is different, and this depends on a various different situations. If the land has income from farming then the improvements can be deducted from the income. If the improvements exceed the income, the improvements can be depreciated and carried over year to year until the property is sold. In that situation the carry over would directly decrease your capital gains. There's also various federal programs you can enroll the property in. Some stay with the property in perpetuity, so it decreases the land value and appeal to someone wanting to buy a turn key property. Some are 10, 15, 20 year programs but dependent on a history of farm income as well as other requirements to register with those programs. Hopefully that answers your question.

Sure seems like a crapton of government regulations and redtape to just go out and flood a field (intentionally oversimplified statement). I get the surveying for elevations and drainage and flow/hydrology, but why does the gubmint need to stick their nose in your bidness on what you do on YOUR land? Did you have to get all this cleared through the State of Kansas prior to moving dirt? I assume you are you flooding with a well and that is why? Or are you banking on rain water catch?

Sure you can do what you want on your own property if that's the risk you are willing to take. By the time this project is over, the development will be well over six figures. Not having the proper paper work for water rights and levees was not a risk I was willing to take. Water rights and diverting water is controlled by the feds. All it would take is one person to complain to the right people about our use of water or a levee breaking to no only make us liable for the damages the levee breaking would cause but fines and tearing down of levees. I've had countless friends tell me I don't need permits to do this, but I don't see any of them risking six figures or dropping a pump into any of the major waterways around here flooding fields either. Yes, we will have a wet well and pump each pool. I'd love it if we could just catch the water from run off each year. Save a lot in electricity for pumping. grin

I think it stays off-radar in Texas if less than 200 acre feet are impounded?

Not based on my research.

Clearly after a 3-year hunt for the 'right' property, you've demonstrated patience, BUT will that push to 5-years of 'missed' hunting when this place is ready to drop the first bird?

This looks like a fun and worthy project. Keep the updates rolling.

Hindsight is always 20/20. I wish rather than maxing out my 401K every year since I started working year 1 I would have just done match up to my company, taken the delta, and invested the money myself to buy land with. Instead, I've got the huge number on a computer sitting in accounts that I can't use until I retire and will never use all of granted there's not a major medical event for my wife and I. Anyway, off my soap box, but I wish I had done this 10-15 years ago. Would have cost 1/4 to 1/2 of what this project will cost, but yes after you get the property bought you get to deal with the slow wills of the government on permitting. If we are lucky, we will get to flood and hunt the property this year which will be just a year after owning it, but realistically you have to go in with the mindset it's going to take 2 years to get the property developed. Then it's going to be another 2-3 years before the birds really imprint on the property, and the hunting is as good as you want it to be. I was lucky that my buddy I'm partnered with has another wetland developed we've been hunting the last 5 years.

Thanks. Trying to get final bids from contractors now as well as pipe and electrical wiring purchased. Should be a busy spring and summer!

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BradyBuck] #8817695 03/14/23 03:57 AM
B
BarneyWho Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
Looking forward to see how this project turns out. My guess is that they kill a duck or two on flooded corn in Kansas but it’s just a guess.

Wanna trade some hunts for a finished retriever once we are up and going? grin My chocolate meat head should be just about retirement age by then.

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8817829 03/14/23 02:54 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It's good to see a little liveliness around here again. smile ani

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8817948 03/14/23 06:18 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Cool project.
Not sure on the feeding at night only thing for corn but, I would plant some variety just in case you have a corn issue.
More than one species might be good if your corn doesn't make for a reason.
Millet, milo etc seeded in along the edges maybe or interspersed.
Get some grains that might be staggered in there harvest times so grains on the ground are throughout your season.

Hit up some farmers or coops right now, we saw piles of grain driving down through Kansas , Colorado and Texas first of the month.
Have you looked into a solar pump?

How many turkeys do you have on your place?

Last edited by Wytex; 03/14/23 06:20 PM.
Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8819851 03/18/23 01:55 AM
B
BarneyWho Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
B
This is the type of crap you have to deal with when permitting a wetland. SMDH!! bang

Plans indicate wetland berms will be constructed through existing woodland and grassland areas. In County, these habitats may be determined to be critical habitat for the state-listed Eastern spotted skunk (Spilogale putorius). We will need more information to determine whether an Action Permit is necessary for the project. Specifically, we need to know what work has already occurred—noting a potential project start prior to application for floodplain fill permits. What is the estimated area of grassland and woodland habitat that has been disturbed or will be disturbed by the project.

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8819874 03/18/23 03:04 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
^^SMH

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8820188 03/18/23 08:14 PM
C
cos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
My 1st attempt at a wetland. NRCS designed it and i built it. Only 6 acres but add a nice feature to my ranch. Has average of 18 inch deep water, Installed small core under levee. Has drain pipe with concrete seep collar. Built little over a year ago. Lots of Woodducks use it. Took 38 hrs to push up levee with dozer.

Attached Files 20220314_173301[3169] wetland.jpg
Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8828032 04/03/23 08:34 PM
B
BluTwister Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Very cool project! Wish I knew where to even start! Please continue to post updates

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BluTwister] #8829384 04/06/23 02:09 AM
B
BarneyWho Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BluTwister
Very cool project! Wish I knew where to even start! Please continue to post updates

Thanks Blu. Definitely a lot too it and processes to go thru if you want to dot all the “i’s” and cross all the “t’s” to cover your investment.

Got good news today. Our structure permit has been approved. Next step is to get the water right approval before dirt can be moved. The state says it’s in the final steps and expects approval in a couple of weeks. Now to finalize bids with contractors, so we can hopefully have a duck season this year. Fingers crossed!

Seems like the prices of everything has close to doubled in a year since the last wetland was built. Feel lucky to have found our 8” inlet pipe for $1/ft vs the $60+/ft at the current rates. Wish I could find a deal on electrical direct bury wire and pumps. bang

[Linked Image]

I’ll try to setup a Timelapse camera once we start moving dirt to document the process.

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8837068 04/20/23 02:36 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
B
water rights permit came in the mail last Saturday, so we are good to start moving dirt. Working on a possibly grant that would pay dollar for dollar for every improvement made for a wetland. If the application is approved, we can't move dirt until after July 1st. Fingers crossed we qualify!

Meet with another contractor last Sunday for a third bid. Waiting on that estimate and working with the other two contractors on updating bids for things they missed.

Meeting with the engineers that work with the grant to address some questions they have with our application the first of May as well as the power company to set a pole and meter needed for our pump.

Things are progressing. We should have levees and water to hunt this season.

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8837425 04/21/23 12:26 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
let me see what kind of top secret corn seed I can find you

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Wetland Project [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8837492 04/21/23 02:24 AM
B
BarneyWho Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Will trade hunts for top secret corn seed!!!
bounce

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8837683 04/21/23 01:50 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
don't plant corn, mallards will feed at night only in it and you wont shoot anything

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8837915 04/21/23 06:46 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
I would plant millet. You have the best luck when you start planting it in November and continue planting it incrementally through the end of January.

#sigline
Re: Wetland Project [Re: #Hayraker] #8837931 04/21/23 07:09 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by #Hayraker
I would plant millet. You have the best luck when you start planting it in November and continue planting it incrementally through the end of January.

Yeah, just throw bags of in the shallow once a week.

Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8838159 04/22/23 03:51 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by BarneyWho
water rights permit came in the mail last Saturday, so we are good to start moving dirt. Working on a possibly grant that would pay dollar for dollar for every improvement made for a wetland. If the application is approved, we can't move dirt until after July 1st. Fingers crossed we qualify!

Meet with another contractor last Sunday for a third bid. Waiting on that estimate and working with the other two contractors on updating bids for things they missed.

Meeting with the engineers that work with the grant to address some questions they have with our application the first of May as well as the power company to set a pole and meter needed for our pump.

Things are progressing. We should have levees and water to hunt this season.

Just a question, but why are you using companies that bid a job, versus hourly?
Do you know exactly how much dirt needs to be moved?

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Wetland Project [Re: Guy] #8838209 04/22/23 11:13 AM
H
Hailyeah Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by #Hayraker

Yeah, just throw bags of in the shallow once a week.

grin

[Lone Watie hears a gun [censored] behind him; turns and sees Moonlight]

Lone Watie : It's not right, this damn woman doing something like this to me. I used to have power. Now old age is creeping up on me.

Josey Wales : More like old habits than old age.
Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8838487 04/22/23 08:11 PM
R
Ramball36 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Yea Barney why aren’t you just hiring the first dude that answers the phone and paying him hourly

Re: Wetland Project [Re: Ramball36] #8838512 04/22/23 09:42 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by Ramball36
Yea Barney why aren’t you just hiring the first dude that answers the phone and paying him hourly

That wouldn't be very smart.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8838881 04/23/23 03:28 PM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
We have tons of annual Lambs Thumb smartweed this year. Big soil disturbance last Feb. plant grasses on late drawdown this year. Easy peasy. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Wetland Project [Re: BarneyWho] #8842427 04/28/23 08:02 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J

bounce

Be careful...he has a Chessie and what they don't bite I hear they piss on rofl

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Wetland Project [Re: Judd] #8842487 04/28/23 09:24 PM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Judd

bounce

That is not a very nice thing to say Judd. rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Re: Wetland Project [Re: Judd] #8842540 04/28/23 10:57 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Judd

bounce

elder just had pups, I tried to talk the big purple people eater into it… But I think he got scared

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide