Page 1 of 2 1 2
RF Bino vs Stand Alone #8790773 01/29/23 10:09 PM
T
TXB4 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
I’ve been doing some saving for upgrading binos and am debating between Swaro EL Range 10x42 TA and the NL Pure 12x42 and sticking with my handheld RF. Got to use the TA model a couple weeks ago and was blown away at glass quality for a range finding bino, and the tracking assist function/ballistics was a great add on.

As for use, I tend to hunt in the western states at least once per year. Traditionally I’ve stuck to rifle hunting, but this year I’ve got an opportunity for archery elk off a landowner tag in NM. then obviously sitting in the blind in Texas at short range, the all in one option is appealing. My concern is ranging animals at close range with binos seems like it could be a flaw (turkey and elk).

Appreciate any input.

Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: TXB4] #8790793 01/29/23 10:45 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
What flaw do you anticipate by ranging at close range with the RF bino?
I guess some won’t range close but my Leica Pro 10x32 range to 7(or 10 ) yards.
For me, any of the 10x42 RF binos are just too big and bulky.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: TXB4] #8790795 01/29/23 10:48 PM
T
TXB4 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
I was concerned about easy one handed operation with a bow in hand as well as the size and possibility of more body movement required that could spook an animal.

Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: TXB4] #8790804 01/29/23 11:01 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
The position of the ranging button certainly can effect one handed. STx spoke to that on another thread one time. Your call on the extra motion.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: TXB4] #8790810 01/29/23 11:08 PM
T
TXB4 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Thanks for the input. Considering a majority of my time is in a blind or at long distances, I’m sure my concerns were minor.

Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: TXB4] #8790814 01/29/23 11:12 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Leica Geovid 3200.com 10X42 is what I carry.

So far, I've ranged 2600 yards, as well as 7 yards. And the glass is excellent!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: TXB4] #8790822 01/29/23 11:20 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I went from Steiner 10x42 binos and a Swarovski rangefinder to Leica 10x42 Geovuds 15 yrs ago. I archery and rifle hunt. My old Leicas would range 10 yards and out...new ones 15 or so. I ground blind hunt in archery season, box blind or stalking for whitetails and spot and stalk for mule deer. I prefer 1 bino/rangefinder now vs. 2 pieces of glass. I will range in advance when archery hunting and even place corn at exact ranges to aliveiat extra movement. My new Leicas are not as handy when trying to hold your bow and range....I do it but it is awkward for me.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: TXB4] #8790844 01/29/23 11:42 PM
T
TXB4 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Thanks Stx. Getting to a single piece of glass is biggest pro that I’m looking for. I thought about the 8x42 to save weight, but my eyes aren’t what they used to be and I need the magnification.

Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: TXB4] #8790987 01/30/23 02:06 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Leica 10x32 is much more compact than the 10x42. I know and understand that many don’t want to go from 42 to 32 but for my purpose the trade off is worth it.

Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: TXB4] #8791333 01/30/23 04:32 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I've not gotten to look through a pair of TA's, yet. BUT the NL Pure 12x42 is the only pair of binos I've looked through and my reaction was WOW!

My issue...I want the 12x Pures...I'm currently using a Sig 10x42 3000bdx that is an all in one. I know from a use perspective I'm addicted to it being one device not 2 and very likely I will HATE the whole Pure setup. I keep thinking Swarvo is smart enough to realize a 12x Pure w/ range finding would completely change the Bino RF combo market...meaning they would OWN the market and it wouldn't even be close from what I've seen. Supposedly there is something with the lens coating and the RF piece that creates challenges in a Pure range finder.

I've not seen the new Lieca offerings the x32 and the new x42 but I have seen the 3200/2700/HD-B and the Zeiss 10x42 (buddy has owned them 3 seasons and this is the first one they haven't been back to Germany) and to my eyes my Sig 3000 glass is just as good as the Zeiss the Leica's I've looked through are slightly better than the Z or Sig 3000...my eyes again.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: TXB4] #8791408 01/30/23 06:20 PM
T
TXB4 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
I was assuming that they would also love to figure out how to get the RF into the NL Pures, since they would make a ton off of it... The TAs glass is pretty awesome compared to previous RF binos, but I have heard that it isn't to NL pure levels. I'm still waivering which way to go. I think I'm leaning towards the NL Pures with handheld RF since I have not grown used to current combo binos. So I'd be looking at just a huge upgrade in my binos. For my western rifle hunting, I do use my tripod for glassing and I understand that the NL Pures are pretty amazing on a tripod.

Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: TXB4] #8791419 01/30/23 06:28 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I have the SIG they are great.

BUT

as the others, very heavy

Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: TXB4] #8791544 01/30/23 08:50 PM
T
TXB4 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Thanks for the input Buzzsaw. I have friends that love the Sig, with the exception you noted.

Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: TXB4] #8791564 01/30/23 09:13 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
For me, finding game with bino's, then ranging, then trying to get on the rifle just didn't work. For your situation, I'd have a $150-200 hand held RF for bow hunting, then RF bino's for rifle hunting.

I have Sig Kilo 3000 BDX. Work great for my hunting.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: TXB4] #8791596 01/30/23 09:57 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Midway has the Sig 6k for $300 off right now. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102418305?pid=338309

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: TXB4] #8791640 01/30/23 11:17 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by TXB4
I was assuming that they would also love to figure out how to get the RF into the NL Pures, since they would make a ton off of it... The TAs glass is pretty awesome compared to previous RF binos, but I have heard that it isn't to NL pure levels. I'm still waivering which way to go. I think I'm leaning towards the NL Pures with handheld RF since I have not grown used to current combo binos. So I'd be looking at just a huge upgrade in my binos. For my western rifle hunting, I do use my tripod for glassing and I understand that the NL Pures are pretty amazing on a tripod.

its going to be a while before they role out an NL pure Range. They really dont have to. The Swaro EL range still holds a large share of the market, and the market isnt ready for that NL Range price point either IMO

Im still rolling 11x maven bino’s and sig 7x hand held range but think im going to order the 15x56 Lecia Geo R here shortly

the 12x NL pures make life really challenging when it comes to wants and needs though. Damn good glass

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8791749 01/31/23 01:34 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
For me, finding game with bino's, then ranging, then trying to get on the rifle just didn't work. For your situation, I'd have a $150-200 hand held RF for bow hunting, then RF bino's for rifle hunting.

I dont understand OnlySmiths first sentence, but his idea of a separate set up for bowhunting makes sense.
TxBuc had warned me about not liking a RF bino for bowhunting. I tried it this year with my xbow and I will probably try a stand alone RF next year for bow hunting and use the combo for rifle.

Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: TXB4] #8791757 01/31/23 01:49 AM
T
TXB4 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
I think you’re right about no rush to build NL Pure with RF. No need other than a lot of folks wanting them.

I’m really torn on which way to go. I could argue for both.

Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: freerange] #8791790 01/31/23 02:28 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by freerange

I dont understand OnlySmiths first sentence, but his idea of a separate set up for bowhunting makes sense.
TxBuc had warned me about not liking a RF bino for bowhunting. I tried it this year with my xbow and I will probably try a stand alone RF next year for bow hunting and use the combo for rifle.

If I'm in a predetermined area that I've scouted I know the ranges to most target areas. When glassing a random area with binos that did not have a built in rf, I spot a shooter with binos. Then, I need to range a with dedicated RF, then find same target in scope and try to make a shot. With RF binos, find it/range it, shoot it. One less step. Also, its hard to find that same target through a rf with a small objective. I missed out on a great mule deer with just a few minutes of light 2 seasons ago. With the RF binos I now have I'm certain if that same scenario presents itself I'll be looking at that mule deer on my wall rather than kicking my own a-- for not buying rf binos sooner. Bow hunting, the use of a RF is totally diferent.

Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8791808 01/31/23 02:53 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

If I'm in a predetermined area that I've scouted I know the ranges to most target areas. When glassing a random area with binos that did not have a built in rf, I spot a shooter with binos. Then, I need to range a with dedicated RF, then find same target in scope and try to make a shot. With RF binos, find it/range it, shoot it. One less step. Also, its hard to find that same target through a rf with a small objective. I missed out on a great mule deer with just a few minutes of light 2 seasons ago. With the RF binos I now have I'm certain if that same scenario presents itself I'll be looking at that mule deer on my wall rather than kicking my own a-- for not buying rf binos sooner. Bow hunting, the use of a RF is totally diferent.

Your explanation is totally different than what I thought you meant. I thought you were saying the combo unit is NOT good for rifle. Totally agree with you now. I’ve noticed your posts enough to know you think things through so things didn’t add up. 👍

Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: freerange] #8792854 02/01/23 10:11 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Your explanation is totally different than what I thought you meant. I thought you were saying the combo unit is NOT good for rifle. Totally agree with you now. I’ve noticed your posts enough to know you think things through so things didn’t add up. 👍

I see that, I should have stated: "For me, finding game with bino's, then ranging with RF, then trying to get on the rifle just didn't work"

Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: TXB4] #8792930 02/01/23 02:19 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
I bought my Leica Geovids back when they were the only range finding bino game in town. Also bought them when I didn't have the extra income I have now and had to save/sacrifice to buy them. It's the one piece of expensive hunting equipment I never regretted buying.

Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: TXB4] #8792931 02/01/23 02:21 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
my biggest gripe about hand held hunt is hard to range far with out a steady rest.

where as a combo bino unit it seems to be steadier from my experience.

example I belly crawled 400-500 yards out in to a wheat field this year trying to get close enough for a 350 or < shot on a mule deer. I was having hell having to pop up on knees and get a realistic range.

I don't know if its beam size or just ergonomics and using both hands but the bino units are alot easier to range longer distances

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8792939 02/01/23 02:34 PM
T
TXB4 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
I know exactly what you mean. I usually end up resting my handheld rf on top of my rifle scope or on top of the tripod (spotter or binos) to steady it up for longer distance ranges. Even then I end up ranging it 4 or 5 times to trust the range

Re: RF Bino vs Stand Alone [Re: TXB4] #8792994 02/01/23 03:31 PM
B
BigLou Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
TXB4, when I archery hunt out west, I prefer a handheld RF that I can use with one hand while I hold my bow in the other. I found a great bino option to combine with the handheld in the Sig Zulu6. Its fantastic for glassing out west...16x magnification and has a gyro stabilizer that settles the image...very reasonably priced too...

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide