Page 1 of 2 1 2
Clothing/gear question. #8790877 01/30/23 12:18 AM
B
bbarron80 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Need a good, quality, but affordable waterfowl clothing/gear brand. What are your top three? Can’t afford Sitka at this time. Will be hunting primary out of a kayak so staying dry would be a plus. Like Drake but see a lot of bad reviews about their quality.

Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: bbarron80] #8790978 01/30/23 01:54 AM
S
Sinkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I wear Sitka. But started wearing Chene this year and like it too.

On what you said about affordability. Drake makes great stuff too and you can always find great stuff and buys on their sale section of their site.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: bbarron80] #8791239 01/30/23 02:35 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by bbarron80
Need a good, quality, but affordable waterfowl clothing/gear brand. What are your top three? Can’t afford Sitka at this time. Will be hunting primary out of a kayak so staying dry would be a plus. Like Drake but see a lot of bad reviews about their quality.

Columbia. the wader wigeon jacket and liner would be your best bet

Buy me

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: bbarron80] #8791301 01/30/23 03:48 PM
S
stevehong Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
S

In the world of waterfowl gear, its a "buy once, cry once" theory for me.
You could go to Academy and get Magellan gear stuff, but then you're back to the store, getting a new piece of gear because the cheap $100 jacket didn't keep you warm, or the seams broke, or you got wet because the gear isn't "that good".
I was in the same situation as yourself, and just turned into a Sitka addict over the past few years, and their stuff works.

Check out some retailers right now, right at the off season, you can get some great deals of gear from all the manufactures.

Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: bbarron80] #8791305 01/30/23 03:52 PM
D
DUKFVR Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Watch for sales & get the best you can. Cheap stuff usually only last a little time before it fails. I have had trouble with drake & banded gear stuff. I use Kuiu mostly as it works for me & last. Expensive yes,but I buy it once. Sitka is good too. Heard alot of good about Chene. Never tried it either.

Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: bbarron80] #8791516 01/30/23 08:17 PM
S
stevehong Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
S
check out this site: https://www.camofire.com/index.php/

I have gotten everything from Drake, LaCrosse, Sitka, Banded, and a bunch of other good brands for good deals - only thing that i hate is that it takes forever to get some stuff delivered.

Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: bbarron80] #8791520 01/30/23 08:24 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Chene, Kuiu, Pnuma, Sitka are all top tier stuff…

Maybe Drake is In between the top and bottom tier.

Magellan, Game Winner work well enough most of the time and much cheaper

I have a mix of Drake and Sitka gear. I wouldn’t say I absolutely need my Sitka stuff but it is absolutely better quality all around. Warmer, better made, more comfortable

Last edited by BradyBuck; 01/30/23 08:27 PM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: bbarron80] #8791559 01/30/23 09:07 PM
B
BarneyWho Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
The Rogers branded gear is decent stuff, and they run sales on it all the time.

ROGERS

ROGERS CLOTHING

Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: bbarron80] #8791628 01/30/23 11:01 PM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
I've got a sitka boreal jacket. Its nice and warm. But its over kill for texas 90% of the time.

Its typically so warm in texas I just wear a wool base layer, like first lite and a light jacket like this natural gear fleece jacket.

https://www.firstlite.com/products/...mens-furnace-quarter-zip_color=dry-earth

https://naturalgear.com/winter-ceptor-windproof-fleece-camo-jacket/

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: stevehong] #8791638 01/30/23 11:14 PM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by stevehong

In the world of waterfowl gear, its a "buy once, cry once" theory for me.
You could go to Academy and get Magellan gear stuff, but then you're back to the store, getting a new piece of gear because the cheap $100 jacket didn't keep you warm, or the seams broke, or you got wet because the gear isn't "that good".
I was in the same situation as yourself, and just turned into a Sitka addict over the past few years, and their stuff works.

Check out some retailers right now, right at the off season, you can get some great deals of gear from all the manufactures.

Its kinda crazy how much $ I have in watwrfowl apparel. When I was flying up to Massachusetts last week I was thinking if the airlines lost my luggage I'd be out $2,500 just in base layers, waders and jacket.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: bbarron80] #8791671 01/31/23 12:00 AM
F
flashman252 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Drake waterfowl....

Look at cutemdown website. You can find DEALS there on new stuff but older models.

Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: bbarron80] #8791822 01/31/23 03:09 AM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

Your waders have you covered from the tits down. I wear sweats if it's 37 or warmer and add thermal unders if colder. If it's really cold thermals, some wader pants that are insulated over that. Just layer your tops. Again quality base layer, then another thin long sleeve shirt, followed by a medium pullover (mines drake) and jacket over that if its really cold. Some days it's a long sleeve Columbia shirt with the pullover.

I have the Sitka for my elk hunts....I have NEVER needed the expensive stuff for waterfowl. Duck hunting in Tx is/can be a Walmart/Academy thing. A pair of uninsulated and insulated waders are the key....then add what's needed top and bottoms. A quality base layer and quality socks....buy once cry once on those, but those are not that expensive. I've went on a Wyoming goose hunt the past 2 years. All my buddies are in Sitka head to toe. The guides are all in Carhart pants or bibs and jackets , that brown workman like material. Just goes to show you the mental thinking between waterfowlers and practicality.

Beanies, neck gaiters, gloves and hand warmers....those are key imo also.

Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: flashman252] #8791829 01/31/23 03:17 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by flashman252
Drake waterfowl....

Look at cutemdown website. You can find DEALS there on new stuff but older models.

use to most their stuff wasnt fully seam sealed just shoulders etc. they have been sold and bought a few times so no idea anymore.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: Sinkey] #8792005 01/31/23 01:34 PM
topwater13 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by Sinkey

On what you said about affordability. Drake makes great stuff too and you can always find great stuff and buys on their sale section of their site.

Sink, are you wearing the chene waders? I am intrigued by the company and design, but at $1100 I wouldn't mind some first hand reviews.

Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: BDB] #8792008 01/31/23 01:50 PM
J
js4242 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Originally Posted by BDB

Your waders have you covered from the tits down. I wear sweats if it's 37 or warmer and add thermal unders if colder. If it's really cold thermals, some wader pants that are insulated over that. Just layer your tops. Again quality base layer, then another thin long sleeve shirt, followed by a medium pullover (mines drake) and jacket over that if its really cold. Some days it's a long sleeve Columbia shirt with the pullover.

I have the Sitka for my elk hunts....I have NEVER needed the expensive stuff for waterfowl. Duck hunting in Tx is/can be a Walmart/Academy thing. A pair of uninsulated and insulated waders are the key....then add what's needed top and bottoms. A quality base layer and quality socks....buy once cry once on those, but those are not that expensive. I've went on a Wyoming goose hunt the past 2 years. All my buddies are in Sitka head to toe. The guides are all in Carhart pants or bibs and jackets , that brown workman like material. Just goes to show you the mental thinking between waterfowlers and practicality.

I agree with most of BDB's response. The only thing I do a bit different is a waterproof shell for the outer layer top. My partner knows two speeds in his boat - WOT and off. It can get wet crossing a bay on the coast. Other than that, its greens, browns and blacks under the camo shell. If you have a good hide, solids are perfectly fine. Don't need camo. Take off or add as needed. Socks are key and a quality beanie. I've never paddled in, so I can't comment on the gloves, but I wear cheap ski gloves for the rides and dead times.

Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: bbarron80] #8792037 01/31/23 02:26 PM
G
goosebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Get the best jacket you can afford, and then go Academy brand underneath. You don't want to be wet and or cold. I have the Sitka wading jacket, and its 100% my go to in the rain and wind. I wear fleece under it when I need warmth.

Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8792044 01/31/23 02:36 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Columbia. the wader wigeon jacket and liner would be your best bet

Buy me

@174.92 this is about employee pricing.

100% water proof and seemed sealed. I used mine from winter hunting and wade fishing coast, to Chesapeake bay, and north to Canadian border.

you can layer what ever you want under it, the additional liner is to warm for for majority of TX season though

Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: topwater13] #8792127 01/31/23 04:00 PM
S
Sinkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by topwater13

Sink, are you wearing the chene waders? I am intrigued by the company and design, but at $1100 I wouldn't mind some first hand reviews.

No. Only because I bought Sitkas 3 seasons ago. And they are still going strong and have lifetime warranty. My buddy has the Chene waders. I’ve noticed they are very similar to the Sitkas. In design. He is only on his first season. So can’t give much feedback on durability. He loves them though.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: bbarron80] #8792322 01/31/23 07:33 PM
T
TOMCAT21 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Sitka has a very good military discount if you qualify.

Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: Sinkey] #8793057 02/01/23 04:30 PM
topwater13 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by topwater13

No. Only because I bought Sitkas 3 seasons ago. And they are still going strong and have lifetime warranty. My buddy has the Chene waders. I’ve noticed they are very similar to the Sitkas. In design. He is only on his first season. So can’t give much feedback on durability. He loves them though.

Thanks. I may have to give them a shot. I am down to my last set of cabela's supermags.

Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: topwater13] #8793522 02/01/23 11:50 PM
L
louisianaman Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
I've been wearing the Chene waders the past two seasons. My brother wears the sitka waders so I have experience with both. The durability is great I put them through thorns this season on accident trying to get to a downed bird. Not an issue, no leaks. I had a minor leak last season and got them back in great shape within a week. The customer service is excellent. I've put them through hell and they've been amazing.

If I'm being honest I went with them because of the fit. I'm a younger slim guy so sitkas were a little baggy on me. Chene fit me great. Loose enough for mobility but no extra fabric hanging around. I wouldn't say they are any better than sitka, but sitka is certainly not any better than chene. They are of equal quality and you can't go wrong.

If I could make one recommendation to everyone... buy the chene wader pants. Thank me later. I don't care what kind of waders you have just buy the pants. They are super warm and comfortable. I have never been cold in them.

Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: bbarron80] #8793532 02/02/23 12:04 AM
L
louisianaman Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
As for affordability, I still roll with my drake shell jacket on cold days. I just layer it up real good and take layers off if necessary. A lot of days I may just be wearing a breathable material hoodie, nothing too heavy since most days its not all that cold

Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: BDB] #8793697 02/02/23 05:39 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by BDB

I have the Sitka for my elk hunts....I have NEVER needed the expensive stuff for waterfowl. Duck hunting in Tx is/can be a Walmart/Academy thing. A pair of uninsulated and insulated waders are the key....then add what's needed top and bottoms. A quality base layer and quality socks....buy once cry once on those, but those are not that expensive.

Agree. It's overkill to spend $400 on a jacket when most of the hunting is 40* and up in Texas, IMO. Most of the time I don't even wear a jacket. It's just pants under my waders and a thermal top with a camo shirt and a camo pullover. I have Drake and UA. Last weekend it was 28* when I was throwing out dekes and didn't even have a jacket on and was almost sweating. The one BoBo posted will work just fine.

Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: bbarron80] #8794629 02/03/23 05:11 PM
CTX Mav Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
https://mountain-archery.com/sitka-gear-delta-wading-jacket-waterfowl-marsh

Buy once cry once is better when it’s about half off.

Re: Clothing/gear question. [Re: bbarron80] #8794636 02/03/23 05:17 PM
T
Teamjefe Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
You can get a Sitka Duck Oven jacket for $200 right now. I just ordered a Sitka Wading Jacket for $260.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide