Forums46
Topics537,752
Posts9,728,683
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: TexFlip] #8788630 01/26/23 07:16 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by TexFlip
Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by TexFlip
No love for Pitts and Spitts?

What I didn’t like about the Pitts & Spitts and a lot of the other brands is the length of the auger. Those pellets have to travel over a foot through an auger and pipe, and if not properly cleaned every single use, they can swell and clog the auger, which is a nightmare to unclog.

I believe RecTec and Yoder have the shortest augers and in Yoder’s, there no actual pipe for it to travel down.

So pellet smoker users prefer shorter pipe? Noted.

As opposed to the stick smoker guys who prefer longer pipe?

Last edited by BradyBuck; 01/26/23 07:17 PM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: jdangler] #8788688 01/26/23 08:05 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by jdangler
Originally Posted by kry226
As usual, most of the folks railing against pellets don't own one. I've had three pork butts and two briskets on my 700 Bull at a time and have fed dozens of people more than a time or two, and not a single one ever said, "Oh man, that pellet-smoked meat ain't nearly as good as if it came off a real stick burner." They freaking loved it.

With quality pellets on a quality pellet smoker, I doubt very seriously any muldoon in this thread could tell a difference in a blind taste test. I've had every kind of smoker, except propane, and I loved everything that came off of all of them. Every smoker has its place and all the smoker hate is dumb. You do you.

Burning in...

[Linked Image]

Lots of space... only one brisket with these three pork butts.

[Linked Image]

Smoked cheese.

[Linked Image]

Is the cold smoke box attachment for the 700 worth the money? I have been kicking around getting one for a while, not real sure if I would use it much though.

100%, yes sir. Would absolutely buy again. We mainly cold smoke the cheese and butter, but you can do all sorts of things like nuts, etc. Smoked butter is outta this world, slap yo mama good.

[Linked Image]
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: BradyBuck] #8788699 01/26/23 08:13 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
Originally Posted by unclebubba
As usual, most of the folks railing against pellets don't own one.

Well, I don't have one, and for good reason. I used my BIL's a long time ago and did not like it. I also have a buddy down in houston and went to visit him last summer. He wanted me to show him how I make my Brisket so good, so we did it on his pellet smoker. It turned out like chit.

Pellet smokers are not real indirect heat. the heat still comes from directly below the meat, and it's too easy to scorch your meat. Also, you can't get that nice blue smoke that you get from real wood and a solid bed of coals. It's a constant white smoke from the smoldering pellets. No coal base, so the machine has to constantly add pellets to the fire, creating white smoke. Get a real stick burner and learn to use it. You will end up with better meat.

So you don’t know how to use one.. got it

You are 100% accurate, if you use a pellet smoker just like a stick smoker you won’t turn out as good a product.

With just a little tweaking and learning your smoker you can produce a product 99% of people will love and won’t be able to tell the difference.

If you let your smoker even out and adjust for about 15-20 minutes, sometimes longer before adding your meat it will not produce white/dirty smoke constantly.

You also need to place your brisket on one side or the other and not directly over the fire box. I can put two briskets in my pellet smoker, one on each side and not have them directly over the coals.

I can do 2 full packer briskets and a rack of ribs on the top rack without having the meat directly over the box.

With that said the better smokers have heavy heat deflectors so you don’t have to worry about it.

Just the fact that there isn't a bed of coals producing heat, and the pellets need to be constantly added (albiet slowly), you're never going to get that nice blue smoke. I know that you can produce decent meat on a pellet smoker, but it never will be as good as a stick smoker. Also, all the pellet smokers that I have seen are light and flimsy. You need thick heavy metal to hold the heat. No, I probably don't know how to use a pellet smoker properly. But everything that I know about BBQ tells me that they won't produce the same quality. Which, by the way, neither will a cheap flimsy stick smoker.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: BradyBuck] #8788705 01/26/23 08:16 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M

I can't speak for others, but mine doesn't have a pipe. It's a female, so just a hole for me to put my stick in.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8788714 01/26/23 08:21 PM
M
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: unclebubba] #8788716 01/26/23 08:23 PM
M
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Just the fact that there isn't a bed of coals producing heat, and the pellets need to be constantly added (albiet slowly), you're never going to get that nice blue smoke. I know that you can produce decent meat on a pellet smoker, but it never will be as good as a stick smoker. Also, all the pellet smokers that I have seen are light and flimsy. You need thick heavy metal to hold the heat. No, I probably don't know how to use a pellet smoker properly. But everything that I know about BBQ tells me that they won't produce the same quality. Which, by the way, neither will a cheap flimsy stick smoker.

I agree 100%.

https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...up-and-firing/thermodynamics-of-cooking/
https://amazingribs.com/more-techni...up-and-firing/science-of-wood-and-smoke/

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: unclebubba] #8788718 01/26/23 08:29 PM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T

Well, I don't have one, and for good reason. I used my BIL's a long time ago and did not like it. I also have a buddy down in houston and went to visit him last summer. He wanted me to show him how I make my Brisket so good, so we did it on his pellet smoker. It turned out like chit.

Pellet smokers are not real indirect heat. the heat still comes from directly below the meat, and it's too easy to scorch your meat. Also, you can't get that nice blue smoke that you get from real wood and a solid bed of coals. It's a constant white smoke from the smoldering pellets. No coal base, so the machine has to constantly add pellets to the fire, creating white smoke. Get a real stick burner and learn to use it. You will end up with better meat.

You are 100% accurate, if you use a pellet smoker just like a stick smoker you won’t turn out as good a product.

With just a little tweaking and learning your smoker you can produce a product 99% of people will love and won’t be able to tell the difference.

If you let your smoker even out and adjust for about 15-20 minutes, sometimes longer before adding your meat it will not produce white/dirty smoke constantly.

You also need to place your brisket on one side or the other and not directly over the fire box. I can put two briskets in my pellet smoker, one on each side and not have them directly over the coals.

I can do 2 full packer briskets and a rack of ribs on the top rack without having the meat directly over the box.

With that said the better smokers have heavy heat deflectors so you don’t have to worry about it.

Please come lift up my Yoder. Bring your back brace

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: unclebubba] #8788721 01/26/23 08:30 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General

What does that even mean? How do you quantify that?

Like I said, most couldn't even tell in a blind taste test. Those that "think" they can tell are just guessing. I've used them all, they all have their place, and they all make great stuff. The best wild turkey I've ever had in my life came off my Masterbuilt electric. That nasty pellet white smoke sure does make a heck of a smoke ring, though.

P.S. Quality pellets are real wood, by the way.

[Linked Image]
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: kry226] #8788726 01/26/23 08:42 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U

What does that even mean? How do you quantify that?

IT means that the pellet smokers are not as good. It is easy to quantify. One produces better quality of meat than the other. You will never be able to change my mind on that. The white smoke will leave a more bitter taste. FYI - if you are using a thin cheap wal-mart stick smoker, you will run into the same problem as you will with a stick smoker. Heavy, white smoke. bitter meat. Ribs or chicken can withstand that smoke without getting as bitter, because they are in it for a shorter time. My BIL has a pellet smoker, and he can make a pretty good brisket on it. I have tasted pretty good brisket on other pellet smokers too. But when it comes to the best Pitmaster using a Pellet vs the best Pitmaster using a stick smoker, my money would be on the stick smoker every time. This argument is just like caliber arguments. A .308 guy arguing with a 7mm-08 guy over which cartridge is better. Neither one is going to change the other's mind.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8788777 01/26/23 09:42 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
One thing some people don`t consider is that smoke flavor is subjective to the person eating the food. Some people prefer less smoke than others and are 100% satisfied with a pellet smoker and some will never be pleased with a pellet smoker because they like and prefer a stronger smoke flavor. I have a stick burner and a pellet smoker, and I like both for different reasons and for different meats. I`ve cooked all of the same meats on both smokers and they are different when it comes to smoke flavor. My pellet smoker does not come close to cooking a pork butt nearly as good as my offset smoker using post oak wood. It looks great coming off the pellet smoker, but that's where it ends. If you like a light smoke flavor you are probably going to be happy with the results, but I prefer more smoke flavor (like lots of people) and I quit smoking butts after trying 2 different times on my pellet smoker and went back to my stick burner. I`ve smoked several briskets on my pellet smoker and I am happy with the results and the flavor I get from it. It still doesn`t have the same flavor as real wood, but it is close enough for me and I enjoy not having to with the wood and temp associated with a stick burner. Ribs are my favorite meat to smoke on my pellet smoker. Great smoke flavor and very tender. One good thing about pellet smokers is that you never get that strong bitter smoke flavor that you can get with a stick burner. Anyone that says they use a stick burner and have NEVER got a bitter strong flavor isn`t being honest.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: Mickey Moose] #8788778 01/26/23 09:44 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by Mickey Moose

I can't speak for others, but mine doesn't have a pipe. It's a female, so just a hole for me to put my stick in.

Haha, no stack??

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8788781 01/26/23 09:47 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Ok, I think we should narrow down the argument.

I am not saying a pellet smoker will produce a better product. I am saying it will produce a really good one that 99% of people will really like and most wouldn’t be able to tell a difference.

I love sitting around enjoying a cold one while tending a fire all day just as much as anyone but that’s not always feasible.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 01/26/23 10:22 PM.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: BradyBuck] #8788790 01/26/23 10:06 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

I am not saying a pellet smoker will produce a better product. I am saying it will produce a really good one that 99% of people will really like and most wouldn’t be able to tell a difference.

I love sitting around enjoying a cold one wild tending a fire all day just as much as anyone but that’s not always feasible.

Welcome to my world…..

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: BradyBuck] #8788801 01/26/23 10:21 PM
T
TPACK Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T

I love sitting around enjoying a cold one wild tending a fire all day just as much as anyone but that’s not always feasible.

99% is also subjective. I don`t believe that 1% of the smokers can disagree and argue this much every time this subject comes up. LOL chicken

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8788816 01/26/23 10:44 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
A simple smoker tube is an easy solution for those who want a more smokey flavor from a pellet grill.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8788896 01/27/23 12:39 AM
J
jetdad Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I have a Green Mountain, daniel Boone grill. I'm happy with it. I would have gone with the RecTec but I wanted an infrared grill also. Just didn't wnat to spend that much.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8788910 01/27/23 12:55 AM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
That's the beauty of the masterbuilt gravity. You can use a variety of fuel. Charcoal, lump, chunks and splits all are acceptable. The smoke flavor is excellent and you don't have to babysit it.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: Texican] #8789344 01/27/23 05:44 PM
D
Davis300 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Texican
They are like the fanny pack. Accessing your wallet and keys may be easier, but it isn't better.

Make you father proud....stick with old school wood.

My sentiment exactly. Some of my fruity family members (Mainly millennials) have some different brands and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Their Q will make a turd but have not sold me yet on the "convenience". You pellet fellers enjoy.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: Davis300] #8789399 01/27/23 07:17 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Davis300
Originally Posted by Texican
They are like the fanny pack. Accessing your wallet and keys may be easier, but it isn't better.

Make you father proud....stick with old school wood.

My sentiment exactly. Some of my fruity family members (Mainly millennials) have some different brands and think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Their Q will make a turd but have not sold me yet on the "convenience". You pellet fellers enjoy.

You want old school?

There was a time offset smokers were a novelty and made fun of by the hole-in-the-ground pit guys. Stop acting like you're something special, you're not.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/history-offset-smokers-barbecue/[Linked Image]

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8789416 01/27/23 07:50 PM
D
Davis300 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
^^^^ "Stop acting like you're something special, you're not." Darn, here I thought I was God's gift to stick burners. Stay classy pellet BOY.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8789424 01/27/23 07:57 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
I don't own a pellet smoker and don't intend to move on from custom built offset smoker or my SmokinTex electric, but why do some guys get so worked up over others liking pellet smokers?

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: Gringo Bling] #8789432 01/27/23 08:12 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
I don't own a pellet smoker and don't intend to move on from custom built offset smoker or my SmokinTex electric, but why do some guys get so worked up over others liking pellet smokers?

These are the same guys that don't like change. They probably think there's nothing wrong with a 700 trigger, didn't like cell phones, computers, or flat screen TVs and would probably take a horse over their truck if given the chance.

You could take 20 guys, 10 each with sticks and 10 each with pellets, and 70% of both sets would turn out bad food. 20% would turn our something really good, but you might be able to tell what it came off, and the other 10% would turn out an amazing product that nobody could tell apart. But by God it wasn't done the way their daddy did it, so fooey on you!

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: Gringo Bling] #8789438 01/27/23 08:18 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U

Why do Pellet guys get so worked up over a stick smoker guy giving his opinion that stick smokers are better?

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8789439 01/27/23 08:18 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Myself, I prefer blondes.

Re: School me on pellet grills/smokers… [Re: Gringo Bling] #8789446 01/27/23 08:24 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

It’s a macho thing.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide