Print Thread
S. Augustine grass #8782438 01/17/23 05:23 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
This past summer the city went on water restriction due to lack of rain. We were able to water once every 2 weeks. Needless to say, the lawn looks terrible. What say you as the best way to help the grass recover. Still on water restriction.

Thanks!

Re: S. Augustine grass [Re: Wilhunt] #8782447 01/17/23 05:48 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Drill a well.

Re: S. Augustine grass [Re: Wilhunt] #8782453 01/17/23 05:54 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
My sprinkler system broke down pretty bad 2-3 years ago and my St Aug got scorched and was completely brown. Next year it came back no problem.

I just used a rake and got all the thatch out, seed and feed, and water.

This was it last year

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: S. Augustine grass [Re: Wilhunt] #8782509 01/17/23 07:30 PM
Derek Online Content
Fert Squirter
Online Content
Fert Squirter
Every two weeks? Yikes! Do they at least allow you to hand water? If you're on a lot size like KRoyal's or my front at about 2500sq ft. I could stand out there and hand water it pretty easily while drinking some beer.

Re: S. Augustine grass [Re: skinnerback] #8782521 01/17/23 08:10 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Drill a well.

That’s what we did….

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Or go with something more drought tolerate like Buffalo grass or Bermuda grass

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: S. Augustine grass [Re: Wilhunt] #8782526 01/17/23 08:15 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Feed the soil, St. Augustine in good soil takes a whole lot less water.

Re: S. Augustine grass [Re: Paluxy] #8782781 01/18/23 03:53 AM
Derek Online Content
Fert Squirter
Online Content
Fert Squirter
Originally Posted by Paluxy

Feed the soil with what to make it good?

Re: S. Augustine grass [Re: Wilhunt] #8782852 01/18/23 12:08 PM
S
soooo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Lava sand will hold moisture in the soil. Look it up.

Re: S. Augustine grass [Re: Wilhunt] #8782869 01/18/23 12:36 PM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Depends on your dirt. SA prefers sandy soil over clay ... most grass does. SA loves the sun as long as it has water. It hates the shade.

And no, DO NOT switch to Burmudagrass. It needs WAY more water in the dead heat of summer than SA does. In fact, I would use SA on baseball fields over burmuda if it would take traffic but it does not.

Put some pre-emergent weed killer on around Valentine's Day. Be advised: SA needs a much different food than other grasses as it's technically a broad leaf weed-grass.

Keep you SA cut VERY short when dormant. As it comes in this spring, gradually raise the cut height to match the temperature. You should be cutting SA twice a week from mid-April to late May. Never cut off more than 1/3 of the total height. Use a bagger the first cut of the spring and the last cut of the fall to carry away the now useless clippings.

I use a recycler on my SA despite others' opinions it always must be bagged. The reason I do is because the return of the clippings returns some moisture to the grass.

Pass the gravy.

Re: S. Augustine grass [Re: Derek] #8782884 01/18/23 01:03 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Derek

I was waiting for you to come along and answer that.

Re: S. Augustine grass [Re: Wilhunt] #8782938 01/18/23 02:40 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Wilhunt
This past summer the city went on water restriction due to lack of rain. We were able to water once every 2 weeks. Needless to say, the lawn looks terrible. What say you as the best way to help the grass recover. Still on water restriction.

Thanks!

Let that crap die and over seed with Bermuda.

Capture rain water off your house gutters. The equipment costs, but the water is free.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: S. Augustine grass [Re: GasGuzzler] #8783468 01/19/23 03:09 AM
Derek Online Content
Fert Squirter
Online Content
Fert Squirter
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
Depends on your dirt. SA prefers sandy soil over clay ... most grass does. SA loves the sun as long as it has water. It hates the shade.

And no, DO NOT switch to Burmudagrass. It needs WAY more water in the dead heat of summer than SA does. In fact, I would use SA on baseball fields over burmuda if it would take traffic but it does not.

Put some pre-emergent weed killer on around Valentine's Day. Be advised: SA needs a much different food than other grasses as it's technically a broad leaf weed-grass.

Keep you SA cut VERY short when dormant. As it comes in this spring, gradually raise the cut height to match the temperature. You should be cutting SA twice a week from mid-April to late May. Never cut off more than 1/3 of the total height. Use a bagger the first cut of the spring and the last cut of the fall to carry away the now useless clippings.

I use a recycler on my SA despite others' opinions it always must be bagged. The reason I do is because the return of the clippings returns some moisture to the grass.

Technically you're not wrong but there are some debatable statements we can discuss.

1.Bermuda needs way more water. It's the opposite. Both can and will go dormant. Bermuda will recover faster. SA die off will be way more;
2. The whole sandy soil vs clay is irrelevant really. The major swath of NTX down to Houston is Clay. This is where Ph comes into play with them way over 7 and nutrient avalabily. 3 I hear that SA needs much different food all the time. It loves a 3-1-2. How do we know that? Soil test will tell you what it wants or needs. It's the same as all turf grass. It might need a 21-0-0, 15-5-10 or a 13-13-13 who knows without a soil test? Granted you can run a much lower Nitrogen program on SA. Your fungicide apps need to be on point.
4. I love your mowing height rec. But you say you use a recycler and be must be bagged, then follow up with "The reason I do is because the return of the clippings returns some moisture to the grass" I'd like some clarity on this. Besides scalping I would love to see the clippings returned back to the lawn.
5 Your pre emergent date is on point.
6 I love talking turf grass and I am by no means calling you out and saying you're wrong, hell, I'm probably wrong, and I'm no scientist saying my way is the law. I would love to have a friendly discussion on it.

Re: S. Augustine grass [Re: Wilhunt] #8786244 01/23/23 12:17 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I see far too many people cutting their grass too short and eventually the grass dies. Cutting grass too short is like planting a tree too deep. Both will result in certain death. Some types of grass in good conditions will tolerate it more then others. I have fescue in shady areas and NEVER cut it lower then a 5 out of 10 setting on my mower. As it gets warmer and dryer I raise the setting. [Linked Image]

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: S. Augustine grass [Re: Paluxy] #8786262 01/23/23 12:48 PM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Technically you're not wrong but there are some debatable statements we can discuss.

1.Bermuda needs way more water. It's the opposite. Both can and will go dormant. Bermuda will recover faster. SA die off will be way more;
2. The whole sandy soil vs clay is irrelevant really. The major swath of NTX down to Houston is Clay. This is where Ph comes into play with them way over 7 and nutrient avalabily. 3 I hear that SA needs much different food all the time. It loves a 3-1-2. How do we know that? Soil test will tell you what it wants or needs. It's the same as all turf grass. It might need a 21-0-0, 15-5-10 or a 13-13-13 who knows without a soil test? Granted you can run a much lower Nitrogen program on SA. Your fungicide apps need to be on point.
4. I love your mowing height rec. But you say you use a recycler and be must be bagged, then follow up with "The reason I do is because the return of the clippings returns some moisture to the grass" I'd like some clarity on this. Besides scalping I would love to see the clippings returned back to the lawn.
5 Your pre emergent date is on point.
6 I love talking turf grass and I am by no means calling you out and saying you're wrong, hell, I'm probably wrong, and I'm no scientist saying my way is the law. I would love to have a friendly discussion on it.

1. My experience comes from my lawns which have been both St. Augustine and Burmudagrass ... currently I have 90% SA with one corner of BG that is being taken over by the St Augustine. Every summer the burmuda wilts way before the SA and every year the SA takes a little more real estate. I also took care of youth baseball fields for several years and saw how well the Gulf Rye worked in the spring and how bad the fields got in summer when the burmuda took over.

4. Maybe I was unclear but what I said was use a bagger for the FIRST cut of spring and LAST cut of fall. Recycle the rest of the year as long as you mow often enough despite others saying you shouldn't recycle SA at all.

I was waiting for you to come along and answer that.

I put lathe filings on mine when it seems low on iron.

Pass the gravy.

Re: S. Augustine grass [Re: Wilhunt] #8786564 01/23/23 07:13 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

I started using Milorganite fertilizer on my St. Augustine. It is organic fertilizer. It works by feeding the soil instead of a quick chemical shot to the plant itself.
So far, the results have been great. Seems to need less water and it looks healthier. My last home had bermuda grass. I've always liked St. Augustine better.
We have lots of trees. It grows well in shade. Bermuda won't.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: S. Augustine grass [Re: reeltexan] #8786596 01/23/23 08:08 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by reeltexan

I started using Milorganite fertilizer on my St. Augustine. It is organic fertilizer.

It's not organic, Milorganite is the dried sewage of Milwaukee.

Re: S. Augustine grass [Re: Paluxy] #8786607 01/23/23 08:25 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by reeltexan

I started using Milorganite fertilizer on my St. Augustine. It is organic fertilizer.

It's not organic, Milorganite is the dried sewage of Milwaukee.

You can get something like that in Austin called Dillo Dirt.

Re: S. Augustine grass [Re: Wilhunt] #8786681 01/23/23 10:32 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Then somebody screwed up when they printed the bags.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: S. Augustine grass [Re: Wilhunt] #8786744 01/24/23 12:07 AM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I suppose the people of Milwaukee are natural and poop follows the definition of organic (relating to or derived from living matter).

I used to use it but tend to go with chicken\turkey poop fertilizer since it's cheaper.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide