Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Considering a trainer #8780700 01/15/23 12:13 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
My lab is almost five months. I am considering a trainer and would like some input. I live in the Fort Worth area, but willing to drive outside of the DFW area for the right fit. Money is somewhat of a consideration, but not really if the fit is right.

I’m not interested in hunt test or anything like that, just a duck and occasional dove dog. He’s doing great already, but I don’t want to screw it up and would like to learn a little along with him, if possible. Suggestions welcome.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Considering a trainer [Re: Duck_Hunter] #8780973 01/15/23 03:23 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
There are some good options in and around the DFW area.

Justin Jackson with Texoma Retrievers
JC with Cripple Creek Retrievers
Wade Cashion with Texas Gun Dogs

However, for you situation I would consider a lady in Baird, TX named Bonnie Parkhill. She only keeps a few dogs at a time and I train with her a lot. She’ll be cheaper but she doesn’t have a big nice operation like those other kennels. She just has a little place in Baird, TX.

But she does a great job with gun dogs and basic obedience stuff. If you are interested PM me for information.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Considering a trainer [Re: Duck_Hunter] #8781264 01/16/23 12:54 AM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I would consider Justin from the list above. Dont have any first hand experience with him but have heard really good things. I would not spend my money with the other two referenced andI have spent days afield with both.

Re: Considering a trainer [Re: Leonardo] #8781813 01/16/23 09:15 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
There are some good options in and around the DFW area.

Justin Jackson with Texoma Retrievers
JC with Cripple Creek Retrievers
Wade Cashion with Texas Gun Dogs

However, for you situation I would consider a lady in Baird, TX named Bonnie Parkhill. She only keeps a few dogs at a time and I train with her a lot. She’ll be cheaper but she doesn’t have a big nice operation like those other kennels. She just has a little place in Baird, TX.

But she does a great job with gun dogs and basic obedience stuff. If you are interested PM me for information.

Originally Posted by Leonardo
I would consider Justin from the list above. Dont have any first hand experience with him but have heard really good things. I would not spend my money with the other two referenced andI have spent days afield with both.

Thank you both!

[Linked Image]
Re: Considering a trainer [Re: Duck_Hunter] #8788635 01/26/23 07:18 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
and would like to learn a little along with him, if possible.

I would recommend doing a "Train the Trainer" program, that is what I did with Tara. This is where you pay for training sessions, the trainer trains you and your dog. Normally how it works is trainer lays out a training plan, and you have several training sessions, normally 30 minutes to an hour, weekly. Trainer does a drill, you watch, then you do the drill and trainer watches and coaches you, and you get homework assignment to work on all week till you meet again.

Good thing is you keep your dog, and you learn a hell of a lot, and bond better with your dog too.

Re: Considering a trainer [Re: Guy] #8788644 01/26/23 07:26 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by Guy

I would recommend doing a "Train the Trainer" program, that is what I did with Tara. This is where you pay for training sessions, the trainer trains you and your dog. Normally how it works is trainer lays out a training plan, and you have several training sessions, normally 30 minutes to an hour, weekly. Trainer does a drill, you watch, then you do the drill and trainer watches and coaches you, and you get homework assignment to work on all week till you meet again.

Good thing is you keep your dog, and you learn a hell of a lot, and bond better with your dog too.

Best advice on this thread.

Re: Considering a trainer [Re: Duck_Hunter] #8788646 01/26/23 07:28 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
With Molly (RIP 2015) I did the same thing in 2006, but used an HRC. Good thing about HRCs is that it is free, other than the membership. Bad thing, at least for me, I just do not have time for HRCs, they want you to help with hunt test and stuff, I just do not have time for that, and I was not interested in hunt tests, I just want a meat dog.

Re: Considering a trainer [Re: Cochise] #8788970 01/27/23 02:14 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Cochise
Originally Posted by Guy

Best advice on this thread.

Very good advice and I’ve found a similar solution that I’m very happy with. We start next month.

[Linked Image]
Re: Considering a trainer [Re: Duck_Hunter] #8789265 01/27/23 03:45 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Also supplement your training with videos/books etc...You should watch all the free Bill Hillmann videos on youtube, I really like his views/perspectives on retriever training.

Re: Considering a trainer [Re: Guy] #8790856 01/29/23 11:54 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Guy
Also supplement your training with videos/books etc...You should watch all the free Bill Hillmann videos on youtube, I really like his views/perspectives on retriever training.

I did that and then bought Hillman’s training a retriever puppy DVD (didn’t get the actual DVD, just online access to the video). Wish I’d found Hillman back in September before we picked my dog up in October, but I’m enjoying it and I think he is too.

[Linked Image]
Re: Considering a trainer [Re: Duck_Hunter] #8791497 01/30/23 07:54 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
My lab is almost five months. I am considering a trainer and would like some input. I live in the Fort Worth area, but willing to drive outside of the DFW area for the right fit. Money is somewhat of a consideration, but not really if the fit is right.

I’m not interested in hunt test or anything like that, just a duck and occasional dove dog. He’s doing great already, but I don’t want to screw it up and would like to learn a little along with him, if possible. Suggestions welcome.

Get a book or two on the subject of training for water fowl. Youtube is your friend.
Most importantly: make the personal commitment to training your dog yourself <<<<!!! That means spending TIME with the dog, lots of time.
No matter what a trainer does or how good they are, the training must transfer to YOU.
Your dog will have to listen and respect YOUR commands and requests. So you might as well train the dog yourself to begin with.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Considering a trainer [Re: reeltexan] #8791571 01/30/23 09:27 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by reeltexan

Get a book or two on the subject of training for water fowl. Youtube is your friend.
Most importantly: make the personal commitment to training your dog yourself <<<<!!! That means spending TIME with the dog, lots of time.
No matter what a trainer does or how good they are, the training must transfer to YOU.
Your dog will have to listen and respect YOUR commands and requests. So you might as well train the dog yourself to begin with.

up

[Linked Image]
Re: Considering a trainer [Re: Duck_Hunter] #8791606 01/30/23 10:19 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by reeltexan

Training your dog is constant work. Example, a trainer can teach your dog to hold steady, but if you don't stay on top of your dog and maintain that discipline, your dog will start creeping more and more until full on breaking, and they break once and it is full on bad habit after that unless you correct it. They are constantly testing to see what they can get away with. I trainer can teach your dog on the sit whistle, you get the dog from trainer, and your dog spins and sits on a dime. But give it some time, and that sit gets sloppier and sloppier if you don't stay on it.

BTW, I love Bill Hillmann's video on YouTube on fixing the sloppy sit, he says you can't fix it when your dog is waaaaaay out there lol, so true..That is when they want to give you a sloppy sit, when they are 100 yards away from you they know they can get away with it...

Tara chomping on a dove, every hunt I have to stay on top of that and correct her. I make her hold it, she likes to test me and see how much she chomp, I correct her with a little pop on the nose and "hold", goes all they way back to force fetch. It is funny watching her test me.

[Linked Image]

BTW, never use the e collar when your dog has bumper/bird in his mouth, that is safe zone. Bird/bumper in mouth is a happy place.

Re: Considering a trainer [Re: Guy] #8791647 01/30/23 11:25 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Guy
Training your dog is constant work. Example, a trainer can teach your dog to hold steady, but if you don't stay on top of your dog and maintain that discipline, your dog will start creeping more and more until full on breaking, and they break once and it is full on bad habit after that unless you correct it. They are constantly testing to see what they can get away with. I trainer can teach your dog on the sit whistle, you get the dog from trainer, and your dog spins and sits on a dime. But give it some time, and that sit gets sloppier and sloppier if you don't stay on it.

BTW, I love Bill Hillmann's video on YouTube on fixing the sloppy sit, he says you can't fix it when your dog is waaaaaay out there lol, so true..That is when they want to give you a sloppy sit, when they are 100 yards away from you they know they can get away with it...

Tara chomping on a dove, every hunt I have to stay on top of that and correct her. I make her hold it, she likes to test me and see how much she chomp, I correct her with a little pop on the nose and "hold", goes all they way back to force fetch. It is funny watching her test me.

[Linked Image]

BTW, never use the e collar when your dog has bumper/bird in his mouth, that is safe zone. Bird/bumper in mouth is a happy place.

Thanks, Guy (and RT). Very good advice. I will get trained along with my dog and will stay on top of it. This is for me as well. We already train everyday and my last lab also was trained frequently (he just didn’t hunt for other reasons). Appreciate the tips and advice.

[Linked Image]
Re: Considering a trainer [Re: Duck_Hunter] #8794519 02/03/23 02:29 PM
C
Catch Dog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Britt J. Weatherby 817-475-6648 Lillian Tx. Personal friend of mine that has been training dogs for 40+years.

Re: Considering a trainer [Re: Duck_Hunter] #8797200 02/07/23 08:03 PM
S
stevehong Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
contact Tim Seguin over at https://blazinggundogs.com/

great dogs and great people.

[Linked Image]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread