Page 1 of 2 1 2
The new suppressor law #8775597 01/07/23 06:04 AM
G
GusWayne Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
G
Anyone know any shop making these here in Tx and selling them without a stamp?

Haven't thought about this new law in awhile and was wondering how all that turned out

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: GusWayne] #8775619 01/07/23 11:50 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
HB 957 isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: ntxtrapper] #8775692 01/07/23 02:35 PM
B
blkt2 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

It would be if the state had an extremely aggressive Attorney General who attacked the NFA on 10th Amendment grounds while at the same time trying to re-clarify the interstate commerce clause that has been twisted like a pretzel and utilized as a tool for the federal government to have omnipotent powers.

If we had a governor that really wanted to tweak the feds he could allow any single person that wanted to buy a machine gun to become deputized and considered law enforcement and issue them a machine gun that is held in trust by the state thus working around to Hugh's Amendment.

Trolling? Heck no, I meant every word of it.
Re: The new suppressor law [Re: GusWayne] #8775825 01/07/23 06:15 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
rofl

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: GusWayne] #8776062 01/08/23 01:25 AM
B
blkt2 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B
^^^^^ I know...... No politician has had a real spine in since Ike retired.

Trolling? Heck no, I meant every word of it.
Re: The new suppressor law [Re: blkt2] #8777104 01/09/23 08:21 PM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by blkt2

It would be if the state had an extremely aggressive Attorney General who attacked the NFA on 10th Amendment grounds while at the same time trying to re-clarify the interstate commerce clause that has been twisted like a pretzel and utilized as a tool for the federal government to have omnipotent powers.

If we had a governor that really wanted to tweak the feds he could allow any single person that wanted to buy a machine gun to become deputized and considered law enforcement and issue them a machine gun that is held in trust by the state thus working around to Hugh's Amendment.

You haven’t been keeping up. AG already filed the lawsuit awhile back. ATF has been trying to get it dismissed but the court has refused to do so, thus far.

Contrary to what ntxtrapper believes, the purpose of HB 957 was to set up a legal pathway for exactly what has happened. A lawsuit filed in federal court to get a summary judgement. Hasn’t happened yet, but it has shown some promise thus far.

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: GusWayne] #8777930 01/10/23 06:13 PM
D
DonPablo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I heard of at least one guy producing TX Made Suppressors but don’t know if the ATF ever stepped in and stopped him:

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16600542#post16600542

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: GusWayne] #8778075 01/10/23 09:08 PM
GNTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Talking about the latest updates on this video.

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: GusWayne] #8778341 01/11/23 03:37 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I dont think this will ever come to be.

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: GusWayne] #8779345 01/12/23 06:13 PM
DeRico Online Sick
Mobius 1
Online Sick
Mobius 1
Is that a serious question?

The only use of Texas made suppressors are the made at home ones with the fuel filters lol35

[Linked Image]
Re: The new suppressor law [Re: GusWayne] #8779578 01/13/23 12:58 AM
Uncle Zeek Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by GusWayne
Anyone know any shop making these here in Tx and selling them without a stamp?

Haven't thought about this new law in awhile and was wondering how all that turned out

ATF issued a letter on this topic awhile ago. Pretty hard-line stance. Don't see them backing down unless the pending case gets to SCOTUS

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/open-letter/texas-open-letter-hb-957/download

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries - but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate, probate & taxes
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 work
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: The new suppressor law [Re: GusWayne] #8779672 01/13/23 03:38 AM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I wouldn’t want one made by a small Texas silencer manufacturer. It would never be as quiet as a large manufacturer’s product with a lot of R&D spent on the design.

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: ntxtrapper] #8779989 01/13/23 07:06 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I wouldn’t want one made by a small Texas silencer manufacturer. It would never be as quiet as a large manufacturer’s product with a lot of R&D spent on the design.

Well, that's not true. It isn't too difficult to reverse engineer a suppressor. The best have K-baffles and have for about a century. Build them out or Titanium on a CNC lathe, and the end product is pretty much the same.

But, I agree the HB is not worth the paper it is printed on.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: The new suppressor law [Re: J.G.] #8780118 01/13/23 11:10 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by J.G.

Well, that's not true. It isn't too difficult to reverse engineer a suppressor. The best have K-baffles and have for about a century. Build them out or Titanium on a CNC lathe, and the end product is pretty much the same.

Do all that exactly and see if you can make them at a competitive price with the big companies and make enough of a profit to sustain the business.

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: GusWayne] #8780182 01/14/23 12:41 AM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
The one thing I’ve learned along my suppressor journey is that I’m looking for quiet enough, not quietest. I don’t care if it’s 2 dB louder if it saves me $200 and a year — the animals don’t care either, they will run from both. All I’m looking for is hearing safe

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: ntxtrapper] #8780203 01/14/23 01:16 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Do all that exactly and see if you can make them at a competitive price with the big companies and make enough of a profit to sustain the business.

You said it would never be as quiet. And I responded.

Now you are pivoting, worrying about the manufacturer making a profit. I'm not one to go invest hundreds of thousands if CNC equipment, but I assure you they are all over Texas. And the owners of them make parts for all kinds of things every week. If they decided to get into suppressor manufacturer, they would have to be the ones to decide if it is profitable.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: The new suppressor law [Re: GusWayne] #8780318 01/14/23 05:05 AM
G
GusWayne Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
G
Since I posted that I have since been told about "solvent traps"

I guess I was out of the loop..

Have yall seen them? eek2

I have just watched youtube videos since

How's that gonna turn out?....

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: GusWayne] #8796611 02/06/23 09:10 PM
Gekko68 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
[quote=GusWayne]Since I posted that I have since been told about "solvent traps"

One word...Illegal ..

I saw the YT vid where they did discuss this in depth.They stated that the shops that were going to do the supp
have not gotten the go ahead from anyone such as the atf.They are all freaked out over the bans going on and
said they want to wait to make sure they wont be going to jail over it.There are many other ways,a shop in al.has
been producing a new item i may have to purchase myself just to try it.But it does take the db wayyyy down.

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: GusWayne] #8796858 02/07/23 04:34 AM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by GusWayne
Since I posted that I have since been told about "solvent traps"

I guess I was out of the loop..

Have yall seen them? eek2

I have just watched youtube videos since

How's that gonna turn out?....

IF you were to buy one (I wouldn't suggest doing so) let's just say you probably shouldn't post anything about doing so...at least not until this new law makes it's way through the courts. Even if it makes it's way through the courts, and it becomes OK to buy a Texas Suppressor without a stamp, I'd still suggest forgoing one of those things and buying a real Suppressor.

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: GusWayne] #8797247 02/07/23 09:43 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
A real suppressor does not have to be built in a big companies shop. In fact I could design/reverse engineer a good one and just have the baffles made in one shop, the body in another, spacers and ends in yet another and no one would be the wiser. In fact I have seen several built in just that way. Usually plenty quiet enough but not made from the high dollar materials.

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: rickt300] #8797264 02/07/23 10:27 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by rickt300
A real suppressor does not have to be built in a big companies shop. In fact I could design/reverse engineer a good one and just have the baffles made in one shop, the body in another, spacers and ends in yet another and no one would be the wiser. In fact I have seen several built in just that way. Usually plenty quiet enough but not made from the high dollar materials.

When I say a real suppressor, I am saying not one of those aluminum "solvent traps". I would want something machined out of titanium or stainless steel on a high quality lathe to ensure perfect concentricity.

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: unclebubba] #8797687 02/08/23 03:17 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by unclebubba

When I say a real suppressor, I am saying not one of those aluminum "solvent traps". I would want something machined out of titanium or stainless steel on a high quality lathe to ensure perfect concentricity.

That CAN be done on an all manual lathe. The end product can be made extremely high quality. The difference is the production time. That's it.

My bet is a CNC lathe makes one in minutes. And, my bet is a machinist, that is very good, would take an 8 hour day. I could not do it in an 8 hour day, but I bet there are those that could.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: The new suppressor law [Re: J.G.] #8797729 02/08/23 03:58 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

That CAN be done on an all manual lathe. The end product can be made extremely high quality. The difference is the production time. That's it.

My bet is a CNC lathe makes one in minutes. And, my bet is a machinist, that is very good, would take an 8 hour day. I could not do it in an 8 hour day, but I bet there are those that could.

yelp I watched a buddy in college make one in less then 20 minutes and that was 2.5 decades ago. he used washes as baffles and steel wool inside, w 1.25” sch 40 pipe

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: The new suppressor law [Re: J.G.] #8797766 02/08/23 04:40 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U

I have no doubt that either you, or a good machinist could make a good one if it were legal to do so. I couldn't, but I know some people who could. I was referring to the "solvent traps" that you see and hear about on ebay or other places. Do you really think they take the time to use the correct materials, make sure everything is machined correctly, and have an end product that will hold up, that will have the holes drilled perfectly center, etc? Maybe I was just incorrectly jumping to conclusions that the quality wouldn't be there? confused2

Last edited by unclebubba; 02/08/23 04:41 PM.
Re: The new suppressor law [Re: unclebubba] #8797898 02/08/23 06:59 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

I have no doubt that either you, or a good machinist could make a good one if it were legal to do so. I couldn't, but I know some people who could. I was referring to the "solvent traps" that you see and hear about on ebay or other places. Do you really think they take the time to use the correct materials, make sure everything is machined correctly, and have an end product that will hold up, that will have the holes drilled perfectly center, etc? Maybe I was just incorrectly jumping to conclusions that the quality wouldn't be there? confused2

I have a friend that bought an all Titanium trap. The muzzle end was drilled and tapped 5/8-24. The baffles and the end cap had no holes in them. But, centers were located. He did the Form 1 route, and after the stamp came back, he brought the parts to me. I think it was 10 minutes to get all the holes made.

So, to answer your question, yes some suppliers do use the correct materials and "almost" everything is machined correctly. Everything they machined was correct, they just left out one last set of steps.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide