corkys son Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This deer was shot and killed by poachers the night of Nov. 27th. These pictures don't show him at his best, but he was a beautiful mostly white colored buck. He showed up last year and was black at his hindquarters and white on his shoulders. We had him aged at 2 1/2 this year. We were trying to let him mature and see what color his coat would finally turn out. Rack was nothing to get pumped up about, but I saw him 1 time on the hoof, and it was truly unbelievable how beautiful he was. The pictures I have don't truly show how pretty his coat was. This was the second deer poached in in 7 days, the other a doe (with a young fawn) that was left as worm food also. I've been on this lease for 34 years and realize the problems of hunting East Texas (Nacogdoches County) timber company property. We know that the poaching goes on, but to shoot them and let them rot is beyond belief. It has now gotten to the point of members HOPING to catch somebody poaching, our club is pi$$ed big time. But I've been here long enough to realize it's just the mentality of the people in this part of the state. I could rant on forever about what I think of the hunters (extremely loose term) of this part of Texas. I know poaching happens all over Texas, but it is extremely ridiculous in this part of the state. Just totally out of control. And yes, we could all get out of this part of the state, but this is where we have put down our stakes and where we will hunt. And yes, the game wardens were notified, but they have a lot of territory to cover and again it is east Texas. Thanks for the opportunity to rant!!!

Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8751278 12/06/22 03:38 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Such a waste.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8751280 12/06/22 03:39 PM
5Redman8 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Definitely a unique coloration.

I cannot understand just leaving them to rot! Wondering if they took pics that may get posted to social media.

AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8751293 12/06/22 03:47 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
That's an absolute shame. I hope that arsehole gets what's coming to him.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8751320 12/06/22 04:12 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Sickening!!!!!!

I hate poachers!

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8751328 12/06/22 04:22 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I called the GW last week. On the side of the road just south of Menard was a buck with his head cut off, gut bucket on its side, and beer cans and trash around. Some people are scum.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8751409 12/06/22 06:09 PM
H
Hunt Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
My guess is that they got too close to getting caught.

'81 or '82 I was hunting with a buddy in Northern Nac County, either opening day or the next Sat. I'm up in a tree glassing and I see a guy coming down the road. He stops and gets out and shoots across the road at something I can't see. My buddy and I called a morning shortly after that. As we were driving back into town I see the guy on the side of the road about a quarter mile from where I saw him with a GW and SO Deputy. I had my buddy stop and I got out to tell the Deputy what I had seen. Turns out the GW and the Deputy had seen it as well. They took my name and phone number but said they weren't going to need any more witnesses.

Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: 5Redman8] #8751444 12/06/22 06:45 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by 5Redman8
I cannot understand just leaving them to rot!

Agree. While in no way an excuse for breaking the law, poaching is a way to reduce the grocery bill for many if not most of those East Texans who do it. And as the case in those who live in other parts of the country, poaching is often something that's handed down through multiple generations.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8751472 12/06/22 07:33 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Poaching indeed occurs in all regions of Texas, but as you note....it seems more prevalent in East Texas (particularly Deep East Texas) than in other areas.

I have lived in DET for the past 36 yrs., but grew up and hunted many places in Central Texas and South Texas. Property rights are much more respected in those areas than East Texas. It was something that became crystal clear to me from the moment I set foot here....and it remains largely unchanged today.

Not everyone is a poacher or shares the lax mindset about property rights and game laws...BUT East Texas has that reputation for a reason (it is well deserved).

With respect to deer, we have had trespassers and poachers in the past....but it has become less a problem in recent years. Hog Dogger's on the hand apparently think it is their 'right' to go onto any and every property they wish. It is a rampant problem in my area. With that mindset....it is easy to suppose they would have no qualms about pursuing deer wherever they want.

We could use about 100 more Game Wardens in East Texas.

Last edited by flintknapper; 12/06/22 07:35 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8751718 12/07/22 12:50 AM
K
killemall Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
East Texas white trash.......

Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8751832 12/07/22 03:20 AM
C
corkys son Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Both were shot on pipeline right of ways. The doe was still on the pipeline when we found it, but the buck ran about 20-30 yards into the woods before he collapsed. As far as game wardens, we could use 100 more in Nacogdoches County, and they still couldn't keep up.

Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8762560 12/20/22 03:09 PM
T
TxsDirtDad Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Years ago I had a lady working for me whose husband was a GW in ETX. Based on his stories, ETX is a very dangerous place to be a GW.

Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8762579 12/20/22 03:22 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
yeah I forget the guys name who wrote the book about all his years of poaching and was proud of it - IMO ridiculous and I would not pay a red cent for his book - it is no different than someone walking onto your home property and stealing items - I have no patience for it

You can't fix stupid
Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8762600 12/20/22 03:50 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Let me ask this, is it 100% sure a poaching kill? You mentioned hunting club which makes me think, lots of hunters on this lease. Could it have possibly been a member or guest of a member that threw out a late shot or possibly didn't track it? What kind of proof is there that it was definitely poached vs being shot by a member or guest of member? Playing a bit of devil's advocate as the offender could be within your ranks. Just a thought to consider.

Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: DQ Kid] #8762932 12/21/22 12:33 AM
C
corkys son Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Absolutely 100% sure poachers shot it. Only 2 hunters on the lease at the time, and I will stand up for them 100% that they didn't shoot it. We were all counting on it to reach at least 3 1/2 years old before we even considered taking him. Except for the poachers, he had free reign on 2000 acres. He was shot on a pipeline, the hit did not bring him down right then, he ran a bout 20 yards into the woods and died. And we've found bucks on the lease with their heads cut off. I could rant on for hours about what goes on here in East Texas, but it only gets my blood pressure up. I will back up the other 8 members on my lease 100%.

Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8762947 12/21/22 12:47 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Ok, had to ask in order to understand context. East Texas is high poaching and trespassing country, no doubt about it.

Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8762954 12/21/22 12:56 AM
L
Longhorn74 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
L
We left east Texas 40 years ago after all the feeders were stolen, the camper was stolen and our gates were run down. All this in one season and yes East Texas has a well deserved white trash reputation!

Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8763013 12/21/22 02:03 AM
R
Russ79 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I moved to Nacogdoches county around 1981. Back then, there were probably four different timber companies that owned thousands of acres that everyone had free run of- I learned the different timber company colors so I knew which timber company owned the land I would go hunt on. Between outlawing running deer with dogs and timber companies learning how much money they could make leasing instead of leaving it open for anyone to hunt pissed off the locals to the point that poaching, vandalism, and theft was rampant- a game warden even had a house he was having built burned down. As those old timers died off and their kids got a little more law abiding, I have experienced less problems. I have three timber company tracts leased in Nacogdoches county and have had very few problems. In the past 15 years I have only found two deer that were shot by poachers and only had any theft one time when a pipeline was being put in which opened one of my leases up for trespassing. I have learned that gates and cellular game cameras are your friends- I have both our game warden's phone numbers and they have been really good at responding when I give them a call.

Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: Creekrunner] #8763027 12/21/22 02:22 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I called the GW last week. On the side of the road just south of Menard was a buck with his head cut off, gut bucket on its side, and beer cans and trash around. Some people are scum.

We had a buck kill by a car in Hext. When I first drove by he was still all there. I ran to Mason about 30 minutes later and he had no head. On the way back from the store he no hind quarters.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8763078 12/21/22 03:25 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Bastage! mad

Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: Russ79] #8763120 12/21/22 04:44 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Russ79
I moved to Nacogdoches county around 1981. Back then, there were probably four different timber companies that owned thousands of acres that everyone had free run of- I learned the different timber company colors so I knew which timber company owned the land I would go hunt on. Between outlawing running deer with dogs and timber companies learning how much money they could make leasing instead of leaving it open for anyone to hunt pissed off the locals to the point that poaching, vandalism, and theft was rampant- a game warden even had a house he was having built burned down. As those old timers died off and their kids got a little more law abiding, I have experienced less problems. I have three timber company tracts leased in Nacogdoches county and have had very few problems. In the past 15 years I have only found two deer that were shot by poachers and only had any theft one time when a pipeline was being put in which opened one of my leases up for trespassing. I have learned that gates and cellular game cameras are your friends- I have both our game warden's phone numbers and they have been really good at responding when I give them a call.

Anyone wanting have a better understanding of East Texas, its hunting history and traditions, should take the time to read this article. It is a long read, but touches on everything I've seen since moving to the area in 1984. Things have gotten better over the years....but some things live on....as certain folks refuse to accept change.

Read the entire article (even if not at one sitting). I believe it is 'spot on'.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/travel/burning-down-woods-deer-hunting/

Last edited by flintknapper; 12/21/22 04:45 AM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: flintknapper] #8763514 12/21/22 08:09 PM
J
jrgocards Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by flintknapper

Anyone wanting have a better understanding of East Texas, its hunting history and traditions, should take the time to read this article. It is a long read, but touches on everything I've seen since moving to the area in 1984. Things have gotten better over the years....but some things live on....as certain folks refuse to accept change.

Read the entire article (even if not at one sitting). I believe it is 'spot on'.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/travel/burning-down-woods-deer-hunting/

The Game Warden cited in the article that had his house burned down (Mike Alexander), was my wife's next door neighbor when they grew up.

JR

Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8763546 12/21/22 08:59 PM
C
corkys son Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
C
Excellent article flintknapper. It was bad in Nacogdoches County the late 80's and 90's. The burning has drastically dropped, but theft and vandalism seems to only be getting worse. They came in about 6 years ago (during deer season) and stole an elevated stand, came in with 2 trucks, lowered it onto a trailer and took off with it. 2 years ago, they stole an ATV, (again during season and no key in it), pushed it out to the county road and loaded it up. The hunter was about 180 yards from the ATV, couldn't get down from the tree in time. Cameras and feeders are routinely taken. But this crap of killing deer and either leaving them or cutting the head off is just not right. I will never understand the mentality of these type people.

Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: Russ79] #8763547 12/21/22 08:59 PM
65x55 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog

I've always wondered what the hog doggers dogged before the hogs, so they were deer dogs originally? And bear before that until they were all killed off?

Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8763560 12/21/22 09:16 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Leon County, Buffalo to exact , was bad in the late 1960's, has slowed down as the citizens have become older or died off..

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide