Bad experience with outfitter #8762019 12/19/22 09:54 PM
N
Nanook1970 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
N
Hello all,
I am new to this forum. But a recent experience booking and hunting in Arkansas lead me to make a post to hopefully build a good list of bad guides, as well as a list of reputable hard working outfits. Anyway I originally booked a trip for an all- inclusive 2 day fully guided duck & goose hunt with cupped wings and twisted rivers guide service and land management group. 50% deposit of $2,200 was charged on credit card for booking, with the remainder due either 10 days prior by card or cash upon arrival.

The day came me and the boys were looking forward to, however one in the group became ill with Covid and was unable to make the trip. We lost that deposit but was completely understanding on this point. So 3 of us continued on with the trip carrying cash for the balance of $1,650.

What was advertised as well as discussed was arrive between 6-8 pm the morning before the first hunt for introduction and instructions as well as safety guidelines and overall understanding of the following hunts. It was understood that we would wake to breakfast and the guide would be ready to depart the lodge at 5 am. 4:00 came we were the first hunters up, waiting around for the head guide Jake to wake up. This clown gets up at 4:50 walks into the mud room and shows us to the little Debbie snack pantry. Now at least they had 10 different types of little Debbie snake cakes to choose from but this should have been the first red flag. Anyway we followed the guide to a specified location and got ready to take the Argo to the blind. Waiting around for another couple who has never duck hunted before to show up and share the blind with us. This was never mentioned the night before or that morning before we left the lodge. Anyway once we arrive at the blind this thing is 2 foot of water in it, and the other couple didn’t have waders. Lol

The ducks would not get within 300 yds of the fresh put in blind that stuck out like a turd in a punch bowl, not a shot was fired that morning and the sad situation with the lady hunter being wet and cold ended the hunt by 8:40 am. We get back to the lodge at 9:45 to a cold brunch of powdered eggs, hard biscuits and old freezer burnt deer sausage.

We were instructed we would leave for the evening goose hunt at 1:00 pm, little early I thought but ok. Well we followed the guide about 20 miles to a trailer and decided to help the young guide load up all the equipment from a trailer parked near the field we were supposed to hunt, once at the location the guide made 4 trips about 600 yds to a spot and needed help setting up the A-frame and putting out 150 decoys to compete with the nearby fields holding thousands of live birds. Once finished setting up he informs us the head asswipe called and is sending some out lease hunters to hunt with us because they decided to take these guys money at the last minute because they haven’t shot a single shot in the last 2 days duck hunting either. So 9 people in a 20’ blind that sucked by itself. Not to mention not a single [censored] was fired because the birds could see the read camo blind from 600 miles away in a fresh planted field.

So once we took down everything and put it back in the trailer we arrived back at the lodge around 6:45 to a gourmet spaghetti dinner, by this time I’m ready for another sleepless night on a bunk bed with a $60 mattress. But discussion with the lead dumbazz lead me to believe that we had a choice of where we would hunt the following morning, we picked flooded timber ( one of the reasons people come from all over to hunt Arkansas). With that decided we tried to sleep at 4:30 we got up again to another little Debbie spread & having to make our own coffee. Guide arrived we followed him out to a 2 month old cut corn field, when I ask what happed to the flooded timber plan he said the wind had changed and this would be better for us. Then you guessed it once at the location we waited for the couple from the previous day yo arrive, her with new wadders but she didn’t show because temps were in the low 30’s. Anyway ducks wouldn’t finish all morning and I figured it was because the blind was brand new probably set out in the last 3 days. So finally the guide says if this one particular set of ducks circle one more time at 80 yds to go ahead and let shot fly and maybe we would get one down. Much to far to shoot, so the new duck hunter gave it a whirl to no avail.

At this point we have one more goose hunt that evening, but we decided screw it were 7 hrs from home and crap wasn’t getting any better so we headed home, upon leaving the head guide Jake informed me that it was customary to tip guides at the end of hunts. I replied the only tip I had was that they take up a different line of employment or at least use more Vaseline so it didn’t hurt quite as bad.

Anyway if you ever get a chance yo hunt in McCrory Arkansas with Cupped wings guide service, run like hell the other way.

On the bright side I was able to stop by Brad Allen’s elite duck calls and get to meet him and purchase a new call for my son and myself for Christmas. Heck of a guy and heck of a call so that’s one good thing that came from the hunt.

If you have had good or bad experiences from guide services, I say let’s start a list so maybe we don’t have to learn the hard way. Good luck and birds should be arriving here in front of this cold weather.

Re: Bad experience with outfitter [Re: Nanook1970] #8762152 12/20/22 12:34 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Id be pissed too but this story is hilarious to me

There is absolutely no reason to let dogs be dogs.

$1,200 dollars on a vet bill? Guessing here I just don’t get it. So glad I ran over my last dog and didn’t replace her.

Hudbone posted that....what a turd
Re: Bad experience with outfitter [Re: GusWayne] #8762191 12/20/22 01:20 AM
N
Nanook1970 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
N
Yeah the older I’ve gotten the slower I am to anger. Just expensive lesson learned, but I will only book with outfits who can be verified from a friend or recommended from a group of hunters I trust. I’ve searched and couldn’t really find anything about this bunch but good reviews. But I understand that can be bought. That’s the reason I hope this info helps future hunters planing on a trip.

Re: Bad experience with outfitter [Re: Nanook1970] #8762192 12/20/22 01:21 AM
D
DUKFVR Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
About like most of the so called guide services in SE TX. Total crooks the way they screw people over.

Re: Bad experience with outfitter [Re: Nanook1970] #8762277 12/20/22 03:07 AM
C
claypool Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
C
Been on more than my share of guided goose hunts over the last 30 years and I don’t think I have ever been mislead or screwed over like in the story above. In every case though but one, the outfitter over booked clients. Half the groups would kill birds on Saturday the other half on Sunday. On occasion they wanted to put multiple groups together which I hated. Only place that didn’t do that to us was Stanfields out in Knox City. Stanfield had us on birds both days and the second time we went with them it wasn’t exactly great but it was fair and we never felt negative about them or the guides.

I ain’t naming the negative ones since there ain’t enough snow geese left on Katy Prairie or Eagle Lake to support a guide anyway.

Re: Bad experience with outfitter [Re: claypool] #8762481 12/20/22 01:18 PM
H
Hailyeah Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
" Only place that didn’t do that to us was Stanfields out in Knox City. Stanfield had us on birds both days and the second time we went with them it wasn’t exactly great but it was fair and we never felt negative about them or the guides"

Stanfields are good people. The only complaint I ever heard about them had nothing to do with the hunt. It was over 20 years ago from some yuppies complaining about horses eating their windshield wipers and radio antennae while they were out in the field. Lol. If you ever get the chance, get Ron to tell you about them making a cow hunting blind and then getting stuck in it when they raised up to shoot and it fell over. It's a shame there aren't tapes available of him telling stories. I'd buy them,

[Lone Watie hears a gun [censored] behind him; turns and sees Moonlight]

Lone Watie : It's not right, this damn woman doing something like this to me. I used to have power. Now old age is creeping up on me.

Josey Wales : More like old habits than old age.
Re: Bad experience with outfitter [Re: Nanook1970] #8762666 12/20/22 05:31 PM
G
goosebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Seems to be a common story these days coming out of Arkansas. People can always have some misleading social media, which makes word of mouth the best marketing tool.

Re: Bad experience with outfitter [Re: goosebuster] #8762697 12/20/22 06:24 PM
S
Sinkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by goosebuster
Seems to be a common story these days coming out of Arkansas. People can always have some misleading social media, which makes word of mouth the best marketing tool.

Their facebook is horrible. Just by looking at their pics, I would've punted from the beginning!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Bad experience with outfitter [Re: Nanook1970] #8762709 12/20/22 06:47 PM
S
stevehong Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Check out Banded Drake Ranch- https://www.facebook.com/BandedDrakeRanch

Awesome spot and great hunts, ask for Matthew Roseman

Re: Bad experience with outfitter [Re: Hailyeah] #8762879 12/20/22 11:02 PM
O
OTL91 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
O
Originally Posted by Hailyeah
" Only place that didn’t do that to us was Stanfields out in Knox City. Stanfield had us on birds both days and the second time we went with them it wasn’t exactly great but it was fair and we never felt negative about them or the guides"

Stanfields are good people. The only complaint I ever heard about them had nothing to do with the hunt. It was over 20 years ago from some yuppies complaining about horses eating their windshield wipers and radio antennae while they were out in the field. Lol. If you ever get the chance, get Ron to tell you about them making a cow hunting blind and then getting stuck in it when they raised up to shoot and it fell over. It's a shame there aren't tapes available of him telling stories. I'd buy them,

They have an entire podcast.

Re: Bad experience with outfitter [Re: Nanook1970] #8763048 12/21/22 02:43 AM
S
Sinkey Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Stanfield runs a great operation!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Bad experience with outfitter [Re: Hailyeah] #8763423 12/21/22 06:12 PM
C
claypool Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
C
Originally Posted by Hailyeah
Lol. If you ever get the chance, get Ron to tell you about them making a cow hunting blind and then getting stuck in it when they raised up to shoot and it fell over. It's a shame there aren't tapes available of him telling stories. I'd buy them,

Unfortunately Ron is no longer with us. Passed sometime ago. But yes, he had good stories. Jeff and Andy do a podcast that is worth listening too. Funny. Reminds me of listening to the Ticket back in the day. Except more hunting related than mainstream sports related. Real good stuff.

Re: Bad experience with outfitter [Re: Nanook1970] #8766039 12/24/22 04:50 PM
2flyfish4 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Stanfield was nice. Its a shame all the Canada geese have left that area. Plenty of specs there if thats all your interested in.

Instagram - 2flyfish4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide