Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison #8759285 12/16/22 04:32 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
The "Best UTV" thread led me to write this as it will hopefully shed some light on the pros/cons of each machine and help whoever is in the market (or soon to be) make a better educated decision when looking at two of the most popular machines on the market.

I recently picked up a 2023 Kawasaki Mule FXT Pro Ranch edition in addition to the HD 8 Can Am Defender Max I currently own.

The Kawasaki was considered over other UTV's as I had a little bit different need for this one; not only was it to serve as a showing rig for work, but also be driven on the street (I live in an area where I can legally drive this on the street in many places.) The fact that it's a little more compact than a Polaris or Defender and has a reputation for reliability and smoothness made it a top tier choice.... the clincher was they had one rolling off the truck that had not yet been sold and, in the color and trim that we liked. sealed the deal.

Took delivery of the machine and had it out on its maiden voyage and immediately noticed some differences which I will detail below, one thing to point out is the Can Am is a 2018 model although they have not changed much to present day:

First Impressions -

The two machines could not look more different than each other. The Mule has dual flat bench seats (the ranch edition mules have a SLIGHT contour on the front seat) while the Can Am has more of a bucket type independent flip up seat. Like most Japaneese vehicles, the Kawasaki has great fit and finish but the design is more utilitarian, even on the higher trim levels. No fancy gauge clusters or Touch Screens, they all share a simple digital screen located left of the gear shift. The basic can am comes with a digital screen smartly located above the steering wheel, and the high trims have very large racing type gauge clusters. The fit and finish isn't quite as tight on the cam ams, but they are well made machines. The bed on the mule in its crew cab configuration is much smaller than the can am, approx. half the size length wise. The Mule bed floor is metal whereas the Can Am is all composite. The mules come standard with hard doors, which may be something you may be interested in, they are an option on certain can am models but most come standard with a netting material that I find annoying. The hard doors have their own pros and cons, but they are removeable on the mule. One obvious difference is the Can am is a much bigger machine. Mules come stock alot lower to the ground than a can am, I had this one equipped with a 2" lift ( Can Am has a 2" lift as well) and the Mule actually sits a tad higher than the Cam Am now. I'll elaborate a bit more on this later

continued below....

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: txtrophy85] #8759294 12/16/22 04:47 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Now behind the Wheel -

Turn the key and the Mule Fires up with gusto. Gear shift is a simple, straight pull affair, thru Low, High, Neutral and Reverse. It has a Manual parking brake to the left of the wheel, the Can Am has a parking gear similar to a car but no parking brake (this option has been added on some of the newer models), but honestly I've never found a need for a parking brake as I avoid parking on severe grades. Machine is very well mannered and refined, driving this is very much like driving a sedan. Throttle response isn't the peppiest and you have to give it some gas to get it moving. Very smooth ride, even with the lift, but fast it is not. The EPS power steering does a wonderful job, steering is firm and responsive. Drive it around the neighborhood and it seems to like cruising at around 16-18 mph....from my 5 mile test run this speed is where it seems it wants to be. The Can Am on the other hand, has fantastic throttle response and is right at home at 15 mph or 35 mph (top speed is 54 and it gets there pretty quick). One big difference between the two I will point out, is taking a turn under power. The Mule (and every other FXT Pro I've been in, even in stock height) has a noticeable amount of body roll. The Can Am has almost none....I will take a turn at 25 mph and there is a negligible amount of body roll, during my more spirited runs I'll drift it around corners and turns and never once have i felt the body roll to where I thought the machine could roll over.....That won't be an option with the Mule. Power is similar on paper between the two models, both sport 800 CC engines but the Can Am feels so much stronger. I can say I've never felt under gunned with the HD8, and I've had it in some severe terrain. The Mule just does not have anywhere near the pep that the HD 8 does (which is the HD7 in current offerings) so this is something to consider if you like to go fast. The HD 10 blows it out of the water. Still, the HD 8 is louder, isn't quite as refined and the ride is not as smooth. Another notable mention is the engine brake....the Kawasaki has a good one but the Can Am is better. In low range I've had the Defender on angles that were almost straight down and the engine brake walked the machine down to the bottom with no free wheel or me ever having to touch the brakes or the gas.

Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: txtrophy85] #8759301 12/16/22 05:19 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Value-

This is something to really look at.....both Models come in various trims with the Can Am offering 3 different engine options to the Kawasaki's one. The Kawasaki Platinum Ranch Edition is their flagship offering, the Can Am Limited is their top tier unit, with the Lonestar being the most popular model sold locally. The Platinum honestly, is sort of ho-hum....it has these leatherish type seats, a wraparound front bump, rear pipe bumper and a winch. This unit retails for $22,000. It comes with 26' tires on 12" alloy wheels that it shares with the Ranch Edition. Only Color it is offered in is a dark brown. It also comes with 4 LED headlights (for whatever reason the Ranch edition only comes with 2 LED's, the other 2 headlights are regular Halogen, and they are on independent switches...this is a head scratcher). The Ranch Edition comes in a much sharper metallic color, has a nice bumper and a winch (the $188 rear bumper is not included in this package). The Can Ams are a tad pricier, for instance an HD 10 Lone star Edition retails around $25k but is has much nicer appointments than the Platinum Mule, comes with 30" tires, lift, arched A-Arms and a winch....so your money ahead when you consider the cost to add these items to the Mule, if one so desired. The Can Am comes stock with a beefier skid plate, but the Mule seems to be made of more steel than the Can Am, which relies more heavily on molded plastic to complete its body. Both Kawasaki and Can Am offer more stripped down versions to those Buyers who want performance without the extra add-ons. That said, you can spend more money on a Can Am , but in stock form will probably be better equipped than a stock Mule if your gonna compare apples to apples. Also, the Can Am requires 100 hr. service intervals, the Mule is 20 hrs the first time and 50 hours after that. So your getting double the range out of a Can Am in regard to oil changes.

Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: txtrophy85] #8759306 12/16/22 05:39 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Summary -

The Can Am worked well for me when I bought it, as I was hunting a large West Texas Ranch where I needed a smooth machine that would carry me and a considerable amount of gear (think large bed space) at a good speed over a great distance. And that it performed admirably. Honestly I don't have one complaint about its performance. Its also interesting to note that most of my clients ended up Buying one for themselves after riding in it.

The Mule was attractive to me this go-around because it's a tighter, more compact package than is known for its smooth ride and extreme reliability. And, with the lift and tires, it's a pretty sharp rig. There is no doubt had I gone with this unit originally it would have done 98% of what the Defender would have done. The best comparison I can make between the two is the Can Am is straight Testosterone, like Sylvester Stallone in Rambo. Ready to rumble. The Mule is like Dainel Craig in James Bond.....more refined, less aggressive but still masculine. For what its worth, my two boys prefer the Can Am, the wife and daughter prefer the Mule.

Hope this helps anyone who is weighing out the decisions to purchase either of these two machines

Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: txtrophy85] #8759375 12/16/22 12:46 PM
B
Black Duck Dog Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Thanks for the write up looking at those two but weighing the Honda pioneer 1000 very heavily

Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: txtrophy85] #8759425 12/16/22 01:47 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Great comparison between similar cc’d vehicles

I’d say the same about two. The engine throttle performance gap is really noticeable between mule and HD10. I think it’s also buy design. In Low, torque feels about same, I feel like both machines would go up a straight wall. When I’m high not even similar on torque or response. Mule does well just takes a while to go from 30-40. Where as can am is always ready to burn one of the line all way to 60.

But crew Can Am is very long machine compared to Mule PTO FTX/FX

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: Black Duck Dog] #8759430 12/16/22 01:54 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Black Duck Dog
Thanks for the write up looking at those two but weighing the Honda pioneer 1000 very heavily

My advice is to drive all 3. There are pros and cons to every rig. My buddy has a fleet of UTV’s (several Polaris rangers, a mule, several can ams) and his dad prefers their Pioneer1000. Pick which one works best for you.

Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8759441 12/16/22 02:03 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

That factor was a big consideration for me.. This is going to live in the garage at my home so while the can am will fit in the 3rd stall, it’s a tad tight. This will fit nicely and allow for storage of other items.

Also, in my specific case, I towed my can am on a 16’ pipe trailer. In 2020 a dump truck ran into my trailer and messed it up pretty good, needing s trailer quick and in a hurry I went and found a trailer the next day, a 12’ dual axle trailer with a loading gate. They did not have a 14’ and during this time trailers were scarcer then hens teeth so I bought it. The can am will fit, but it has to be loaded backward and if it’s not on the trailer just right, the gate rubs on the bumper. The Mule fits on there perfectly forward, gate closes just fine and there is room to spare. It’s a much better fit for the trailer I currently have.

I needed comfortable passenger space over a lot of cargo room, and this fits that ticket nicely.

Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: txtrophy85] #8759444 12/16/22 02:09 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

That factor was a big consideration for me.. This is going to live in the garage at my home so while the can am will fit in the 3rd stall, it’s a tad tight. This will fit nicely and allow for storage of other items.

Also, in my specific case, I towed my can am on a 16’ pipe trailer. In 2020 a dump truck ran into my trailer and messed it up pretty good, needing s trailer quick and in a hurry I went and found a trailer the next day, a 12’ dual axle trailer with a loading gate. They did not have a 14’ and during this time trailers were scarcer then hens teeth so I bought it. The can am will fit, but it has to be loaded backward and if it’s not on the trailer just right, the gate rubs on the bumper. The Mule fits on there perfectly forward, gate closes just fine and there is room to spare. It’s a much better fit for the trailer I currently have.

I needed comfortable passenger space over a lot of cargo room, and this fits that ticket nicely.

I ment to tell you but for what ever reason the mule pro FXR has a contoured more comfortable seat then FXT. I don’t know if ranch has the upgraded seat

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: txtrophy85] #8759483 12/16/22 02:48 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
The ranch editions have a contoured front seat. It’s actually not uncomfortable even though it looks like a church pew

Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: txtrophy85] #8759684 12/16/22 05:38 PM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I’m in the market for a used Mule FTX. I like Kawasaki, and the Mule is the best utility SxS on the market IMO. It’s short, plenty of power, very usable bed, it’s basically a mountain goat off road, and very reliable.

For everybody saying no to belt driven machines, it’s not uncommon for these to go 4,000 miles before needing a belt.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: txtrophy85] #8759749 12/16/22 06:54 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Kawasaki makes a great machine -- there are 3 of them working on our lease and another that has been floated down a creek one too many times. The biggest thing to call out, and why I'm on my 2nd Can Am, is that I can take rough terrain and sharper curves much faster than any of the Mules can. If you drive slow, it doesn't matter, so pick what you like best -- you can't go wrong.

Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: TLew] #8759877 12/16/22 10:16 PM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by TLew
Kawasaki makes a great machine -- there are 3 of them working on our lease and another that has been floated down a creek one too many times. The biggest thing to call out, and why I'm on my 2nd Can Am, is that I can take rough terrain and sharper curves much faster than any of the Mules can. If you drive slow, it doesn't matter, so pick what you like best -- you can't go wrong.

The biggest thing I dislike about all CanAm’s is the goofy and weak 4x4 system.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: BigPig] #8760011 12/17/22 01:29 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by TLew

The biggest thing I dislike about all CanAm’s is the goofy and weak 4x4 system.

Can you elaborate on this? I don't use the 4x4 in the can am all that much but can't see where its weak, or goofy

Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: txtrophy85] #8760721 12/18/22 02:32 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
They are notoriously weak, and incredibly complicated for what they are. The viscilok or whatever they call the locker is electric, and the computer for it is mounted down by the differential, prone to being hit and getting water in it. The strength prob isn’t as big of a concern on the Defenders as it is on the Mavericks, but they don’t like big tires or horsepower.

We rode with 1 and the poor guy ended up stuck in 4 wheel drive with diffs locked, which limits you to low range, it was a slow day for him.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: txtrophy85] #8761267 12/18/22 11:46 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
One of the most notable differences between different models, but seldom discussed, is the cargo weight carrying capacity. Make sure to check specs. Some are as low as #350. I've filled the bed with several animals at once that pushes a load close to a 1,000# or more depending on how many pigs are loaded up.

Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: txtrophy85] #8761920 12/19/22 07:45 PM
T
throckmorton_hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Been very happy with my new Mule !!

Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: jeffbird] #8762093 12/19/22 11:25 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by jeffbird
One of the most notable differences between different models, but seldom discussed, is the cargo weight carrying capacity. Make sure to check specs. Some are as low as #350. I've filled the bed with several animals at once that pushes a load close to a 1,000# or more depending on how many pigs are loaded up.

I’ve never seen a defender or FXT pro with a 350# weight capacity

Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: txtrophy85] #8765136 12/23/22 03:11 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Me either. I’ve regularly had 650-800 lbs of corn in the back of my Can Am and still carry 3 grown men (remember people count against cargo/payload too).

I’ve also towed over 3500 lbs with my can am up inclines.

Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: txtrophy85] #8771953 01/02/23 03:43 AM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
So after putting around 100 miles on the Kawasaki so far, I have a little more insight for a report:

I Like the compactness and turning radius of the Mule, but overall if I had to have one machine, it would be a can am defender. I cannot think of one aspect where the Mule shines head and shoulders above the Defender, except for the turning radius and size.

Albeit being a larger vehicle, the can am has much snappier throttle response, tons better acceleration, higher top end, handles much better in a turn (Mule has substantial body roll at speeds over about 5mph), is as quiet, is as smooth and has bigger bed capacity. Gauge cluster is also appropriately located where on a mule it’s in a funky spot. At speeds above 20 mph there is no comparison between the way the two machines handle…can am hands down.

That said, the Mule feels like a very solid, reliable machine, and I’m sure I’ll have a good experience with it. It has a pretty cool look to it especially with the lift and tires. I added some full size aluminum CV axle protectors which added to its reliability. It seems to like to cruise around 15 mph which is a great speed for most off-road travel. Run it at 25-30 mph quite a bit and it’s acceptably stable and smooth at those speeds. Adaptive power steering works wonderfully.

Hope this write up helps those looking to make a decision on a UTV a little easier.

Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: txtrophy85] #8772092 01/02/23 02:40 PM
V
Vern1 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
V
I have a 2001 Mule 550 with 2396 hours.
I overhauled the motor at 1800 hours due to abuse by previous owner overheating engine and sticking rings.
It's my wife's daily driver around the ranch and serves as pit vehicle during race season.

I also have a 2005 Mule 3010 4x4 with 2098 hours.
I replaced front axle shafts and universal joints for front drive shaft at 1600 hours but still on original untouched motor.
It's my daily driver around the ranch and serves many roles.

I do all my own maintenance and mechanic work for everything I own.
Definitely not in the same class as new stuff for ride quality and only posted to show Kawasaki dependability.

For a personal playtoy, I would like a Yamaha YXZ1000R.
I have a couple of buddies who race them offroad and those are hands down the most beastly, fastest best handling SXSs out there.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: txtrophy85] #8772145 01/02/23 04:11 PM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
So after putting around 100 miles on the Kawasaki so far, I have a little more insight for a report:

I Like the compactness and turning radius of the Mule, but overall if I had to have one machine, it would be a can am defender. I cannot think of one aspect where the Mule shines head and shoulders above the Defender, except for the turning radius and size.

Albeit being a larger vehicle, the can am has much snappier throttle response, tons better acceleration, higher top end, handles much better in a turn (Mule has substantial body roll at speeds over about 5mph), is as quiet, is as smooth and has bigger bed capacity. Gauge cluster is also appropriately located where on a mule it’s in a funky spot. At speeds above 20 mph there is no comparison between the way the two machines handle…can am hands down.

That said, the Mule feels like a very solid, reliable machine, and I’m sure I’ll have a good experience with it. It has a pretty cool look to it especially with the lift and tires. I added some full size aluminum CV axle protectors which added to its reliability. It seems to like to cruise around 15 mph which is a great speed for most off-road travel. Run it at 25-30 mph quite a bit and it’s acceptably stable and smooth at those speeds. Adaptive power steering works wonderfully.

Hope this write up helps those looking to make a decision on a UTV a little easier.

The Mule will out last the Defender and give you less trouble through that time.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: txtrophy85] #8772159 01/02/23 04:30 PM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
worthless

LOL

Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: txtrophy85] #8772166 01/02/23 04:39 PM
V
Vern1 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
V
This thread now has worth!
Not much, but some....at least!
2001 550 on left, 2005 3010 4x4 on right.
3010 now has a stand on roof rack like 550 and both have stake pockets on each corner to use as portable stand.
Rack is also handy to fill feeders easily - or stand on at dirt track races!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Vern1; 01/02/23 04:39 PM.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Can Am Defender Vs. Kawasaki FXT Pro...a Comparison [Re: Vern1] #8772172 01/02/23 04:46 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
This is an interesting thread. Just to know what a Yamaha 1000 is, I looked it up. I had to laugh, since my mud covered, butt ugly, noisy, slow Kubota is so far different from that Yamaha, that it’s funny. The Yamaha is a supermodel, where my Kubota is…uuuh…something else.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide