Varmints.....do Pocket Gophers count? #8755491 12/11/22 10:00 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Getting ready to wage war on them.

All over my pastures, fence lines and even encroaching on my lawn this year.

[Linked Image]

Ordered some new traps, affixed some cables to them....so I can set them way back in the tunnel and retrieve them easily.

I could sic my Dachshunds on them, they are digging little buggers....but then I'd have to get the tractor out to repair all the damage.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by flintknapper; 12/11/22 10:00 PM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Varmints.....do Pocket Gophers count? [Re: flintknapper] #8755510 12/11/22 10:30 PM
H
hogwart Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
We tried the Victor traps. They caught gophers well enough but we lost too many to Coyote so we switched to Black Hole traps.

As near as we could figure the Victor traps weren't dispatching the gophers quick enough so the gopher had plenty of time to squeal as loud as it could which was catching the attention of any Coyote in the area. Where upon the Coyote would dig out the trap and gopher and pack off with them.

The Black Hole traps kill the Gopher instantly thus no squealing and next to no loss of traps.

Black Hole traps are sold through Amazon and some hardware stores in the USA.

I know Northern Sport up in Elyria, Ohio sells them.

This is the Black Hole trap

[Linked Image]

Do for yourself as much as you can, eat what nature provides as much as you can. This is the key to sleeping well and living long.
Re: Varmints.....do Pocket Gophers count? [Re: hogwart] #8755660 12/12/22 02:04 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by hogwart
We tried the Victor traps. They caught gophers well enough but we lost too many to Coyote so we switched to Black Hole traps.

As near as we could figure the Victor traps weren't dispatching the gophers quick enough so the gopher had plenty of time to squeal as loud as it could which was catching the attention of any Coyote in the area. Where upon the Coyote would dig out the trap and gopher and pack off with them.

The Black Hole traps kill the Gopher instantly thus no squealing and next to no loss of traps.

Black Hole traps are sold through Amazon and some hardware stores in the USA.

I know Northern Sport up in Elyria, Ohio sells them.

This is the Black Hole trap

[Linked Image]

Thought about the Coyotes too. I have plenty of those also. That is another reason why I used a steel cable attached to the trap and a ring on each end. They will be staked down. Hopefully not lose any traps, but we shall see.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Varmints.....do Pocket Gophers count? [Re: flintknapper] #8756497 12/13/22 12:50 AM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Tie a piece of small carrot to the trap your kill rate will go way up.

Re: Varmints.....do Pocket Gophers count? [Re: flintknapper] #8757295 12/13/22 09:56 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Gophers count!

My ex-wife's uncle used to sit on the front porch with a beer and binos. When he would see one of the gopher's heads sticking up from one of the holes, he would grab the scoped .22 from the corner and watch the hole until the gopher showed again and pop it. He would lean the rifle up in the corner, sit down with his beer, and go back to scanning. That was typically a Saturday or Sunday afternoon thing for him. He would get 3 or 4 in a couple of hours and call it a day.

Most of my landowners will poison their fields with gopher plows.
https://www.catlinmfg.com/

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Varmints.....do Pocket Gophers count? [Re: flintknapper] #8757352 12/13/22 11:34 PM
R
Robert1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
ex lax out in Cali they loved them stick them in the holes or near them and when they eat them its all over for them and its safe for the other animals. Plus it's cheap, my dad was worried about his little dog with poison and used these, no more gopher's.

Re: Varmints.....do Pocket Gophers count? [Re: flintknapper] #8757686 12/14/22 01:33 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Give the GopherHawk traps a look. I have them and the Victor ones. I have not used the Victror's since I got the GopherHawk ones. There is no big hole to dig, just locate the run with the supplied probe, open up the probe hole with the pointed tool and insert the trap. The snare part on the bottom of the trap can be replaced easily, I have reshaped several and only had to replace 1 in the past 6 years of using them. I have caught over 100 gophers with these traps with very little problem.
Good luck, the Victor Trap will get it done, just more work.
GopherHawk

Re: Varmints.....do Pocket Gophers count? [Re: flintknapper] #8775364 01/06/23 09:44 PM
J
JTPinTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I had the whole Caddyshack thing going on across the street at my barn. I smoke bombed them, poisoned them, finally caught the last two with traps last weekend. No fresh mounds or digging for a week now. I think I have them all taken care of until the next batch moves in. Which they will do, eventually.

Re: Varmints.....do Pocket Gophers count? [Re: Old Rabbit] #8825202 03/29/23 12:40 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
Give the GopherHawk traps a look. I have them and the Victor ones. I have not used the Victror's since I got the GopherHawk ones. There is no big hole to dig, just locate the run with the supplied probe, open up the probe hole with the pointed tool and insert the trap. The snare part on the bottom of the trap can be replaced easily, I have reshaped several and only had to replace 1 in the past 6 years of using them. I have caught over 100 gophers with these traps with very little problem.
Good luck, the Victor Trap will get it done, just more work.
GopherHawk

x 2 I use these also with good success.

Re: Varmints.....do Pocket Gophers count? [Re: flintknapper] #8825206 03/29/23 12:50 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Used this one a couple days ago….

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Varmints.....do Pocket Gophers count? [Re: flintknapper] #8825601 03/29/23 06:32 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Castor oil broadcast sprayed and poured down any open mound you find will get rid of them. Seems to be long lasting.

Best method is poison and the correct implement to put it out - however - if you've got dogs/pets I would highly advise to NOT use it and stick with traps/smoke bombs or anything else mentioned in this thread. Castor oil has worked for me now for 6+ months.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide