Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: Frio Town] #8748215 12/02/22 10:23 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Frio Town
I have a gas mule, a diesel mule and a Kubota. All three are for work, not play. I bought the Kubota with a factory cab & A/C because I wanted it!! You can never get any up to top speed due to the terrain on the ranch. That's OK by me. As far as work goes, the Kubota is tops, hands down.
The reason they don't work well at high altitude is because they are naturally aspirated engines. If they were turbocharged it would be a different story. If I remember correctly the break point is 5,280 feet for performance before a turbo is needed.

They almost all have HVAC cab options now.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8748258 12/02/22 11:18 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
I have a gas mule, a diesel mule and a Kubota. All three are for work, not play. I bought the Kubota with a factory cab & A/C because I wanted it!! You can never get any up to top speed due to the terrain on the ranch. That's OK by me. As far as work goes, the Kubota is tops, hands down.
The reason they don't work well at high altitude is because they are naturally aspirated engines. If they were turbocharged it would be a different story. If I remember correctly the break point is 5,280 feet for performance before a turbo is needed.

Yes, but the Kubota's is better.

Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: bigjoe8565] #8748264 12/02/22 11:22 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Mainly one at high altitude: Polaris with a sprinkling of can ams.

Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: don k] #8748284 12/02/22 11:52 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by don k

Can Am is probably best interior and cab IMO especially in crew cab.

Kubota is a tiny cab, little storage, no crew cab options, and front window doesn’t open very far. Lot of pluses to Kubota but plush ride and size arent there

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: bigjoe8565] #8748371 12/03/22 01:35 AM
T
TxsDirtDad Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Used units are still very pricey with limited depreciation from new prices. This is primarily due to limited supplies of new units. Used prices will drop in the future when dealer inventories are finally restocked. New dealers typically offer warranties and extended warranties and that may payoff IF they fully cover the most common or catastrophic failures.

IME, finding the right straight shooting dealer, within a reasonable drive and making sure they have a good track record of servicing what they sell will eliminate many potential issues with almost any brand. Several of the more popular brands have engines and major parts designed and built in China, but people still rave about them for reliability and performance. So measure the cost to value relationship carefully.

My 70 something yo neighbor swears by Artic Cat and owns a Trakker UTV Another loves their Mule. Another just traded their Mule for a Hisun. Point is, all are happy with their choices. Like it or not (and I don’t) globalization has led every manufacturer to source components and labor from lower priced markets in order to stay competitive in sales. Your car, truck and UTV are all full of parts from multiple third world countries, if they were built in the past decade.

Keep an open mind and see what the closest dealers offer, go test drive them or find friends with similar models you can test out. Find a couple brands/models you like best and then carefully read the warranties. Who else will be driving it? Will it fit them? Explain to the service manager how you plan to use the UTV and get their feedback along with a name and number. Can the dealer provide a loaner if your’s is in for repairs longer than expected? Some do. You can land a lemon with any brand but unbiased due diligence and getting into the seat to drive what’s out there will typically land you something you’ll be happy with for years.

Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8748422 12/03/22 02:17 AM
F
Frio Town Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F

Kubota is a tiny cab, little storage, no crew cab options, and front window doesn’t open very far. Lot of pluses to Kubota but plush ride and size arent there

Cab size to me is immaterial since it's most often just me my dog and a shotgun. Storage is fine inside the cab for what I am toting around. It has a radio and Bluetooth. My front window is shut solid. It does not open at all. The ride to me seems fine and it's good. What I really like about the Kubota is the hydraulic dump bed. I wasn't too interested in it when I bought it but you sure get used to it in a hurry!!

"Let's Go Brandon"
Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: Frio Town] #8748453 12/03/22 02:39 AM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My wife, who claims that the Kubota is hers, absolutely loves the hydraulic dump bed. She call the Kubota her “little dump truck”. She hasn’t the physical strength to use a manual dump bed.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: bigjoe8565] #8748488 12/03/22 03:14 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Txkiller has the long bed hydraulic can am. It’s an option on the mule pro also.

[Linked Image]

Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8748658 12/03/22 11:48 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

I disagree on the Kubota cab - the 1100 cab is first class IMO - ac, heat, dust proof, etc. - 3 adults can ride in it nicely - I don't need to haul any more people than that

You can't fix stupid
Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: tlk] #8748748 12/03/22 03:02 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by tlk

I disagree on the Kubota cab - the 1100 cab is first class IMO - ac, heat, dust proof, etc. - 3 adults can ride in it nicely - I don't need to haul any more people than that

It is the smaller cab compared to Can Am and Mule pro. Not debatable is what it is. The Can Am also has more storage than both. So if you are big, long legged guy something to consider. Not saying kubota isn’t a nice cab, just the Can Am is a level higher. Can Am is dust proof, rain proof, electric windows and has excellent AC/Heat , more horsepower, more suspension travel and more storage.

I don’t even own the Can Am I own the Mule Pro so I’m not injecting owner bias. My mule Pro has a better ride them both the Can Am and Kubota., and a lot quieter then both. To be fair I also have an upgraded suspension on my mule. After spending 20 days between both(CA&MP) in NM, deer and Bear hunting this year alone, I give the edge of all to the HD10 because of power. It will go places in HI that my Mule needs to drop to low for. Running between mountain ranges is a lot faster also in Can.

With that said I’ve spent alot of time in the Kubota. One of my farmers has one that I’ve spent a lot of time in, And a member of my Mule deer lease has one. It’s a nice machine, it’s just built with a different purpose and consumer

Every one of them have pluses and minus. Durability the engine in the Mule Pro/John Deere is very proven, as is the Kubota. Suspension and ride the kubota is last but in its defense that’s not what it was built for, as it has one of the highest payloads. The Mule Pro cabs are ok at best, biggest thing is the AC one is very heavy, and integration is poor. Can Am, JD, Polaris and CanAm have better cab options.

John Deere also has a good UTV with great cab HVAC cab option, More suspension than the Kubota, and same engine as Mule Pro. Cab on its on the small side and no cab’ed Crew option yet.

I’m just trying to be as unbiased as possible from experience. Kubota just has a different buyer in mind than the others. It and the JD are probably closer aligned in market demographics. There will never be a reliability question with a kubota.

Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8748795 12/03/22 03:57 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Txkiller has the long bed hydraulic can am. It’s an option on the mule pro also.

[Linked Image]

What happened to Txkiller? I always enjoyed his posts.

Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: jetdad] #8748803 12/03/22 04:12 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Ya he is a good guy, He is still around but instragram is a better platform for his business. Give him a follow if you are on instagram.

Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: bigjoe8565] #8748815 12/03/22 04:26 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I'm not an instagram person or I would. I enjoyed his post's because some of his hog hunting was up my direction, and he was good at working on the hog population. Thanks for the response, BOBO.

Last edited by jetdad; 12/03/22 04:26 PM.
Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: bigjoe8565] #8750752 12/05/22 11:17 PM
R
RANGERRONG Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
polaris Ranger, full size

Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: bigjoe8565] #8752248 12/07/22 04:33 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Makes sense, as it’s a car engine

[Linked Image]

Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: RANGERRONG] #8752434 12/07/22 08:50 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by RANGERRONG
polaris Ranger, full size

^^^^^^

Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: bigjoe8565] #8752718 12/08/22 02:07 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Check the specs for payload capacity.

Some are surprisingly low.

Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: bigjoe8565] #8752821 12/08/22 04:55 AM
W
Wytex Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
W
Just had the ranch 2011 Polaris Ranger in for service. Needed new belt, clutch work and new tires finally.
The dealer advised us to tell the LO to keep it and run til it stops, still has half of it's life left.
Since 2011 that is all that has been spent on it, $ 1400.
Not bad for a Polaris I would say.
Heck our 2005 Polaris Sportsman is still going strong.

Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: Wytex] #8753378 12/08/22 08:40 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Wytex
Just had the ranch 2011 Polaris Ranger in for service. Needed new belt, clutch work and new tires finally.
The dealer advised us to tell the LO to keep it and run til it stops, still has half of it's life left.

I've got a 2013 Ranger with lots of hours on it that I bought used. It went into the shop for the first time last year and had a bunch of stuff done to it. $2,000 in repairs & maintenance ain't bad for a 9 yr old machine that gets plenty of use.

Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: skinnerback] #8753459 12/08/22 10:06 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by skinnerback

I've got a 2013 Ranger with lots of hours on it that I bought used. It went into the shop for the first time last year and had a bunch of stuff done to it. $2,000 in repairs & maintenance ain't bad for a 9 yr old machine that gets plenty of use.

What did you have done?

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8753484 12/08/22 10:25 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

What did you have done?

They replaced a sensor that controls the air/fuel mix (don't remember what it's called now), it was cutting out bad. They did a brake job (they were shot) and replaced all of the lug nuts (mine were wrong for the aftermarket wheels I put on/needed beveled nuts). New air filter. They replaced the busted rubber boots on the front end suspension, installed new exhaust gaskets and new exhaust bracket hardware behind the muffler, flushed the coolant system, and replaced the washer on the oil drain plug with oil & filter. The oil change was my fault, I had just changed the oil & filter the day before I took it to the shop with brand new Amsoil.....but apparently I lost the plug washer and didn't realize it......and it was leaking. I must have had too many beers that evening. trout and they replaced the U Joints (were shot) which is a major deal on these machines. Have to pull the whole front end...and a new battery. I bought this machine as a work horse for the house, but I also use it for hunting and the kids run the heck out of it.

Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: bigjoe8565] #8753498 12/08/22 10:48 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
That copper crush washer usually falls into the pan with all the oil that dumps out of it. Ask me how I know. I bought the oil change kit, it comes with a washer, filter and the correct amount of oil. I also changed my own transmission fluid and front diff fluid, and air filter. I'm not a mechanic, but damn they wanted a lot to do that on mine that was bought new and needing it's second service that included all the fluids. I saved prolly $250-300 doing it myself and didn't have to take it, go get it.......through all the Ft. Worth traffic. I really like my 2021 Ranger XP1000.

Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8753512 12/08/22 11:11 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
That copper crush washer usually falls into the pan with all the oil that dumps out of it. Ask me how I know. I bought the oil change kit, it comes with a washer, filter and the correct amount of oil. I also changed my own transmission fluid and front diff fluid, and air filter. I'm not a mechanic, but damn they wanted a lot to do that on mine that was bought new and needing it's second service that included all the fluids. I saved prolly $250-300 doing it myself and didn't have to take it, go get it.......through all the Ft. Worth traffic. I really like my 2021 Ranger XP1000.

My trip was an hour North to Victoria (great Polaris shop there). No traffic really. The U-Joint job was labor intensive, 8 hrs labor if I remember correctly. It's a running little machine, been happy with it. I'd love a new/bigger one but not in my budget anytime soon. This Summer I'm taking it fishing with me to access a few good areas that you can't drive to anymore, and since I sold my boat can't run there either. Early morning first light running shorelines looking for tailing reds, gold spoon & quick limits. The 4 wheel drive does come in handy sometimes and this one seater is light enough I can get it unstuck pretty easy if need be...but I haven't stuck it yet. There are a couple nasty areas to get through in order to reach said shorelines, I've stuck trucks out there. Little Ranger will be perfect to "go around" these areas. grin

Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: skinnerback] #8753710 12/09/22 03:04 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

My trip was an hour North to Victoria (great Polaris shop there). No traffic really. The U-Joint job was labor intensive, 8 hrs labor if I remember correctly. It's a running little machine, been happy with it. I'd love a new/bigger one but not in my budget anytime soon. This Summer I'm taking it fishing with me to access a few good areas that you can't drive to anymore, and since I sold my boat can't run there either. Early morning first light running shorelines looking for tailing reds, gold spoon & quick limits. The 4 wheel drive does come in handy sometimes and this one seater is light enough I can get it unstuck pretty easy if need be...but I haven't stuck it yet. There are a couple nasty areas to get through in order to reach said shorelines, I've stuck trucks out there. Little Ranger will be perfect to "go around" these areas. grin

No way I'd attempt anything other than routine maintenance.

Re: Buying UTV side by side [Re: bigjoe8565] #8754392 12/10/22 03:33 AM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I’ve got a 2021 XP 1000 Texas edition Ranger. I love it. It’s a beast. I did take it in for the first service as it was included with the sale, I’ll do the rest myself, unless something happens that I don’t feel like effing with, but I couldn’t be happier with it.

Last edited by Thundervee; 12/10/22 03:33 AM.

🍻
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide