Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: DQ Kid] #8745870 11/30/22 02:51 AM
H
Huntmaster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
They work well or they wouldn’t be around.

Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: DQ Kid] #8745916 11/30/22 04:03 AM
H
HS2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I’ve only ever shot Remington core lokt 130 grain in my 270. I only hunt at less than 100 yards and at that distance I can hit a 2 inch group most of the time. But…… I took my rifle to a 300 yard range and did very horribly….. I’m not sure if it was me, the gun, my old cheap scope, or the ammo, or all four. But if you look at the ballistics, 130 grain 270 shoots a very flat bullet at 100 yards that gives a good bit of insurance if I miss a shot. As to effectiveness, the animals I’ve shot are always DRT. They’ve been very effective for me.

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: DQ Kid] #8745918 11/30/22 04:08 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I knows a guy who has downed over a thousand deer solely using core lokts

Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: Gringo Bling] #8746159 11/30/22 04:35 PM
H
howl Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted by Gringo Bling
I thought this was going to be a post about the real "Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors", the fly agaric.
[Linked Image]

Nah, you can eat that one. I don't personally, but. Destroying Angel is found in about the same place and is pretty bad, though, so that'd be my vote. More people probably get sick off jack o' lanterns.

Never was impressed by Corelokts when I used them, but I've never heard of one not performing as expected. Which is more than I can say for some supposedly higher grade bullets like Hornady Interlocks or SST. Ha.

Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: DQ Kid] #8746193 11/30/22 05:09 PM
K
Kevin Heath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
I love em in my 30/30, My 700 BDL, that was stolen, liked them too. My new .270 not so much. But I don't shoot that rifle much, anymore.

Some days you're the pigeon, other days you are the statue!
Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: DQ Kid] #8746276 11/30/22 06:19 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I started off hunting with Corelokts and used them for many years in my 270, 243, & 30-30. Oldest Son still uses them in his 243, BIL still uses them in his 223. They work like a cup & core bullet is supposed to, no complaints. 270 got stolen, I changed to Silvertips in my 243 & youngest Son's 243, but still have 30-30 ammo.

Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: DQ Kid] #8746296 11/30/22 06:42 PM
O
Old Smuggler Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
Hunt 185 grain in my .308 and it does as it is supposed to. Use 100 grain in the .243 and no complaints on that one either.

Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: ChrisB] #8746331 11/30/22 07:33 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ChrisB
Originally Posted by J.G.
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Personally in the field, I'm not worried about shooting MOA or under MOA. If at 200 yards or < I can put a shot in a 3" circle, I'm more than content. If I was shooting all the time at range or even competitively, a totally different ballgame.

Seen most Rem Core Lokt not stay inside 3 " at 100 yards, much less 200 yards.

Guess you got a bad batch. I've never had a problem with them. My 270 groups the 150s perfect.

Not a "bad batch"

20 years of watching them punch paper, trying to get a zero. None were .270 though. Plenty here are touting them in .270. A whole lot of different cartridges trying to get core lokts to zero and they just look like crap on the target.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: DQ Kid] #8746389 11/30/22 08:58 PM
H
Hunter Daddy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I have been using Remington Core-Lokt bullets since 1984 in my Remington .243 my dad bought new for me that same year. I still only shoot that rifle for south Texas whitetails today. I use 100 grain bullets. Most my shots are at 100 yards or less. I have shot deer up to 325 yards with it and it performed fantastic. In fact, last season, I killed a mature 9 pointer with that gun and ammo at 275 plus yards. The bullet struck behind the front shoulder going through the ribs on both sides and exiting through. The buck made it less than 25 yards before piling up. That buck weighed 230 lbs live weight. I can keep that bullet sighted in within an inch of each other at 100 yards. Its a fantastic bullet!

Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: DQ Kid] #8746398 11/30/22 09:23 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
What are your thoughts on these two scenarios?

1. Custom 30 caliber rifle and scope $5,000 with handloads or custom made ammo

2. Off the shelf unmodified 30 caliber rifle and scope $800 with factory Remington Core-Lokt ammo purchased at Academy

Shooters of both can consistently hit within the diameter of a Skoal can up to 200 yards.

200 yards is the maximum hunting shot range in this instance with most shots under 150.

Which hunter has a better chance of bringing down a deer, or are they both pretty much equal?

To be determined
Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: DQ Kid] #8746408 11/30/22 09:37 PM
H
Hunter Daddy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
If you put the bullet where it needs to be on that deer then its pretty much equal.

Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: DQ Kid] #8746409 11/30/22 09:38 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Equal chance.

Until the box of Core Lokts run out and the next box is an unknown how they are going to shoot, and what their speed difference is.

The one using hand loads, the only way things go south is the barrel needs a cleaning. That's a 10 minute fix for almost no money.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8746413 11/30/22 09:46 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
What are your thoughts on these two scenarios?

1. Custom 30 caliber rifle and scope $5,000 with handloads or custom made ammo

2. Off the shelf unmodified 30 caliber rifle and scope $800 with factory Remington Core-Lokt ammo purchased at Academy

Shooters of both can consistently hit within the diameter of a Skoal can up to 200 yards.

200 yards is the maximum hunting shot range in this instance with most shots under 150.

Which hunter has a better chance of bringing down a deer, or are they both pretty much equal?

The one with the most stable rest.

Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: DQ Kid] #8746432 11/30/22 10:06 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I've been watching this thread with a smirk. There' s no doubt, Rem Cor Lok ammo is a top seller. It's cheap and very basic ammo. It's some of the lowest quality and low grade ammo on the market. Why? For several reasons.

One, their powder and powder charges inside the case have some of the largest powder charge variations found in ammo. I've pulled the bullets and seen upwards of over 2 grains variation. I load my match ammo to .02 grains, which is to the kernel of gun powder, there's no comparison. That's literally a 100 times tighter tolerances. A high powder charge variation also makes for a very high extreme spread on your velocities.

Second, and I think this is the most important aspect. Remington produces their components and products from a backwards profit margin. Meaning, they figure out what they want to sell it for, and figure out how much profit they need to make, and that gives them a cost they have to stay under. Remington purposefully makes a lower cost item so they can keep a certain profit margin. And quality sacrifices for this. ADG (Atlas Dev Group) brass was started from guys who left Remington to make a better product. They talk all the time about this exact issue they had with Remington. Rem would intentionally make an inferior item so they could keep a certain profit.

Knowing ammo like I do, there is a little bit of a science to understanding accuracy nodes with certain calibers. Like a 270 Win with a 130 grain bullet, there is a certain sweet spot you can load to with some faster burning powders and still have a large accuracy window from rifle to rifle. When you load your ammo this way, it can produce good groups across many different rifles. But you will sacrifice velocity. Rem states their velocity is 3060 fps, and the times I have tested this, it was much slower. But you can load the 270 Win with a slower burning powder, get much more velocity, and keep a good accuracy node by loading it to tight tolerances. I've got some REALLY fast 270 Win loads that are 3180 to 3200 fps that shoot really tight groups.

Is comparing a custom load or high quality match load, like I make, and comparing it to a Rem Cor Lok an even comparison, No, not at all. But the ammo differences are HUGE! Shooters these days are wanting more out of their rifles and ammo. You simply can not get the consistency you need out of the low end ammo, like the Cor Lok.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: ChadTRG42] #8746578 12/01/22 12:55 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
I've been watching this thread with a smirk. There' s no doubt, Rem Cor Lok ammo is a top seller. It's cheap and very basic ammo. It's some of the lowest quality and low grade ammo on the market. Why? For several reasons.

One, their powder and powder charges inside the case have some of the largest powder charge variations found in ammo. I've pulled the bullets and seen upwards of over 2 grains variation. I load my match ammo to .02 grains, which is to the kernel of gun powder, there's no comparison. That's literally a 100 times tighter tolerances. A high powder charge variation also makes for a very high extreme spread on your velocities.

Second, and I think this is the most important aspect. Remington produces their components and products from a backwards profit margin. Meaning, they figure out what they want to sell it for, and figure out how much profit they need to make, and that gives them a cost they have to stay under. Remington purposefully makes a lower cost item so they can keep a certain profit margin. And quality sacrifices for this. ADG (Atlas Dev Group) brass was started from guys who left Remington to make a better product. They talk all the time about this exact issue they had with Remington. Rem would intentionally make an inferior item so they could keep a certain profit.

Knowing ammo like I do, there is a little bit of a science to understanding accuracy nodes with certain calibers. Like a 270 Win with a 130 grain bullet, there is a certain sweet spot you can load to with some faster burning powders and still have a large accuracy window from rifle to rifle. When you load your ammo this way, it can produce good groups across many different rifles. But you will sacrifice velocity. Rem states their velocity is 3060 fps, and the times I have tested this, it was much slower. But you can load the 270 Win with a slower burning powder, get much more velocity, and keep a good accuracy node by loading it to tight tolerances. I've got some REALLY fast 270 Win loads that are 3180 to 3200 fps that shoot really tight groups.

Is comparing a custom load or high quality match load, like I make, and comparing it to a Rem Cor Lok an even comparison, No, not at all. But the ammo differences are HUGE! Shooters these days are wanting more out of their rifles and ammo. You simply can not get the consistency you need out of the low end ammo, like the Cor Lok.

I get that same smirk when I read about someone spending a lot of money and effort to produce a setup that shoots 1/2 MOA to shoot deer at 200 yards max.

Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: ntxtrapper] #8746638 12/01/22 01:51 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

I get that same smirk when I read about someone spending a lot of money and effort to produce a setup that shoots 1/2 MOA to shoot deer at 200 yards max.

Touche but lots of Range guys on here that shoot a lot and competitively so I get some of it. Not my thing but whatever.

Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: ntxtrapper] #8746669 12/01/22 02:17 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

roflmao up

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: DQ Kid] #8746694 12/01/22 02:47 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Core lokt in the 22-250, 243, 30-30, and 30-06. Never felt there was a problem.

Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: ntxtrapper] #8746910 12/01/22 12:52 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C

roflmao

Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: DQ Kid] #8747127 12/01/22 04:48 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My scenario question was in no way intended to detract from the accuracy members on here. That's a pretty cool hobby, the pursuit of accuracy through custom rifles, hi-tech scopes and load development.

To be determined
Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8747539 12/02/22 01:22 AM
J
Jstocks Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
My scenario question was in no way intended to detract from the accuracy members on here. That's a pretty cool hobby, the pursuit of accuracy through custom rifles, hi-tech scopes and load development.

I like core lokts and have killed plenty deer with 30/06 150 up to 180 grains, 270 with 130 grains and the reduced recoil ones too.

All performed well. I’m not one to say much about rifles and bullets, but my point would be that they are just deer I’m hunting.

Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: ntxtrapper] #8747580 12/02/22 02:07 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

What about the guys shooting elk at 400 to 600 yards?

Is it worth it for them?

What about the guys traveling to Alaska and killing Moose.

Is it worth it for them?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: DQ Kid] #8747591 12/02/22 02:21 AM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Define worth it?

I’m a handloader, enjoy it and see the benefits of it. However sometimes good enough is good enough. My take is for the vast majority of hunters and game the factory ammo is not the limiting factor.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: DQ Kid] #8747609 12/02/22 02:39 AM
R
Ranch Dawg Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
R
30-06 180 pointed soft point. Killed many deer with them. The Academy in Denton had 4 boxes today.

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!!
Re: Deadliest Mushroom in the Outdoors [Re: DQ Kid] #8747610 12/02/22 02:39 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Found a box of 100gr. Core Loks in .270 in the local hardware store back in the 90’s. They shot just as good as the 130’s, killed a lot of deer over the years with that ADL REM .270.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide