Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Why I like hog hunting #8745959 11/30/22 11:50 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
It's fun, and good practice for whitetail hunting. I used to just ride around and kill them when I saw them or shoot them as they presented themselves while I was deer or varmint hunting. This year we set up a dedicated hog feeder and stand. The stand is a 4' x 4' ground blind 180 yards from the feeder about 30' elevated. With the right wind it's money. If you park a Ranger 200 yards from the stand and walk in, you're about 400 yards from the feeder in case they are there. You have a concealed view of the feeder area about 300 yards out. The stand is situated so that it provides cover as you approach. The interior is black, so when you're sitting in it, you're concealed. This feeder spins one cycle per day at 5 PM.

Once I got my buck, I transitioned my whitetail set up for hogs. We pushed my feeder to the edge of my pen so that it slings corn outside of the panels. My stand here is 125 yards, elevated about 50'.

Hunting hogs like this keeps me in the field, thinking about the wind, the patterns of what I'm after, engaged in what I'm after and a lot of time behind my scope. I've learned more about bullets, shot placement, trigger pull and staying on the gun than I ever would have just shooting one or two deer per year. I read from some about how hard it is to kill hogs. IMO, it's not once you learn to have enough gun, the right bullet and shot placement. I've killed 10 or so hogs over the last month and all but one was DRT, and these were big boars, pic's shown below. I've hunted them all kinds of different ways. Sneaking up on them in the dark with a thermal and shooting them in the side of the head at 10-20 yards had to be the most fun, but hunting them the way I have this year has helped me keep on top of how I hunt and shoot deer. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8745968 11/30/22 12:10 PM
S
Sick Train Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Great post and makes a lot of sense. I'm just getting into hog hunting. I like the idea that I can do it all year long and whenever I want. Two of my real good friends have been going nighttime hunting for the last year or so. They would invite me to tag along all the time so finally decided to go and after the first night I was hooked. Now I'm setting up a dedicated hog rifle and just purchased a DNV optic for it.

Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: Sick Train] #8745975 11/30/22 12:28 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Sick Train
Great post and makes a lot of sense. I'm just getting into hog hunting. I like the idea that I can do it all year long and whenever I want. Two of my real good friends have been going nighttime hunting for the last year or so. They would invite me to tag along all the time so finally decided to go and after the first night I was hooked. Now I'm setting up a dedicated hog rifle and just purchased a DNV optic for it.

Do you deer hunt?

Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8745985 11/30/22 12:59 PM
S
Sick Train Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

Do you deer hunt?

Yes I do. Usually only get to go only a few times but I'm always at the property working or just hanging out.

Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8745993 11/30/22 01:16 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Besides being fun...year around hog hunting helps maintain shooting skills.

Make America Great Again

Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: Sick Train] #8746004 11/30/22 01:35 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Do you deer hunt?

Yes I do. Usually only get to go only a few times but I'm always at the property working or just hanging out.

What rifle and caliber do you deer hunt with?

Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8746025 11/30/22 02:11 PM
S
Sick Train Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S

Do you deer hunt?

What rifle and caliber do you deer hunt with?

LMT 308 MWS.

[Linked Image]

Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8746114 11/30/22 03:35 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I love hog hunting for lots of reasons, including what the OP shared. I'm lucky enough that my property borders corps land that allows bow hunting for pigs. I get to bow hunt year round! Also, not to derail the thread, but our pigs taste delicious, so I get to keep the freezer stalked with pecan-fed pork as well. Other than the damage they do to the hay fields, there aren't many cons.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8746134 11/30/22 03:59 PM
B
BigDad Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Great post, my sentiments exactly. I like your comments about using enough gun and shot placement. We've had several hunters invited to hunt hogs at our place who bring their magical AR-15 in 223 Rem and end up wounding hogs never to be found. I can't recall ever recovering a single hog shot with a 223 except one that was brain shot. I think they feel they can just unload a mag into a hog and don't realize how quick a hog really is.

Joe
Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: BigDad] #8746219 11/30/22 05:26 PM
J
J Hills Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted by BigDad
Great post, my sentiments exactly. I like your comments about using enough gun and shot placement. We've had several hunters invited to hunt hogs at our place who bring their magical AR-15 in 223 Rem and end up wounding hogs never to be found. I can't recall ever recovering a single hog shot with a 223 except one that was brain shot.

I think they feel they can just unload a mag into a hog and don't realize how quick a hog really is.

This 100%. A new hunter has no idea how fast they are!! I watched some new hunters one day try and walk up on some, they were long gone before they got guns up. The look on their face....

Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8746243 11/30/22 05:46 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I would argue the issue is bullet placement more than caliber. Body shots with any caliber are bad news if you want to recover the pig. If you want DRT, then CNS shots are the only reliable option. A good lung shot on a deer is most likely a gutshot on a hog, and newb hog hunters are very likely to make that mistake.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: syncerus] #8746278 11/30/22 06:20 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by syncerus
I would argue the issue is bullet placement more than caliber. Body shots with any caliber are bad news if you want to recover the pig. If you want DRT, then CNS shots are the only reliable option. A good lung shot on a deer is most likely a gutshot on a hog, and newb hog hunters are very likely to make that mistake.

Agree that bullet placement is very important. So too...is having caliber/cartridge adequate to reliably dispatch a hog under most conditions.

For 'new' hog hunters....I would submit it is 'best' to wait for broadside shots and then place that shot in one of the two areas depicted below.

[Linked Image]

Either shot (with adequate cartridge/bullet construction) will anchor a hog more times than not....and gives you the greatest margin for 'error'.

For 'sub calibers' you can move up and forward to the juncture of the skull and neck vertebrae (Occipital Joint) and achieve the same CNS result.

Unless there is no other shot presented....I advise folks to avoid the 'head shot' (brain pan). It is a small (and often moving) target and the same DRT result can be had with a neck shot or high shoulder shot that breaks the upper spine.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: flintknapper] #8746290 11/30/22 06:30 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by flintknapper

Agree that bullet placement is very important. So too...is having caliber/cartridge adequate to reliably dispatch a hog under most conditions.

For 'new' hog hunters....I would submit it is 'best' to wait for broadside shots and then place that shot in one of the two areas depicted below.

[Linked Image]

Either shot (with adequate cartridge/bullet construction) will anchor a hog more times than not....and gives you the greatest margin for 'error'.

For 'sub calibers' you can move up and forward to the juncture of the skull and neck vertebrae (Occipital Joint) and achieve the same CNS result.

Unless there is no other shot presented....I advise folks to avoid the 'head shot' (brain pan). It is a small (and often moving) target and the same DRT result can be had with a neck shot or high shoulder shot that breaks the upper spine.

For me it's the mark nearest the ear everytime. It's bigger than you may realize, isn't moving as much as the head and just works so well it's hard to not put the bullet there. These fools that show up with a 5.56 just to empty a mag are not going to be recovering near as many hogs (if any) as someone that brings enough gun and makes that first shot a purposeful one. I use my whitetail set up, a .308. I did have to bust the cherry on my 7 mm rem. mag on one or two this year.

Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: BigDad] #8746292 11/30/22 06:36 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by BigDad
Great post, my sentiments exactly. I like your comments about using enough gun and shot placement. We've had several hunters invited to hunt hogs at our place who bring their magical AR-15 in 223 Rem and end up wounding hogs never to be found. I can't recall ever recovering a single hog shot with a 223 except one that was brain shot. I think they feel they can just unload a mag into a hog and don't realize how quick a hog really is.

I think I met one of these guys, he told me on hogs with his "5 6, double tap every pull" as he demonstrated how he quickly pulled the trigger twice. I told him, "So you squeeze the trigger improperly twice, rather than just once. Nice".

Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8746368 11/30/22 08:29 PM
Texas452 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
That’s some cutters.

Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8746726 12/01/22 03:11 AM
S
Steve from GA Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Man - y'all have some wild-looking hogs in TX. Here in GA, most of our wild hogs look like they just slipped out of Farmer Bob's barn (which they probably did).

Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: Steve from GA] #8746862 12/01/22 10:46 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Steve from GA
Man - y'all have some wild-looking hogs in TX. Here in GA, most of our wild hogs look like they just slipped out of Farmer Bob's barn (which they probably did).

Hogs were never commercially raised in the Texas Panhandle to my knowledge. The genetic we have has been in the wild a couple of hundred years as far as I know. Look at this one I shot: [Linked Image]

Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8747076 12/01/22 03:45 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
cheers miss 🐗 hog hunting.
It never got to cold ta go.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8747281 12/01/22 07:55 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Hog hunting is the perfect pill for youngsters and others who suffer from buck fever.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8747649 12/02/22 03:36 AM
S
Steve from GA Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by Steve from GA

Hogs were never commercially raised in the Texas Panhandle to my knowledge. The genetic we have has been in the wild a couple of hundred years as far as I know. Look at this one I shot:

Wow! We have them red, black, spotted, but not a lot of ridgebacks or big tusks. That thing looks like it came out of a gladiator colosseum. eek2

Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: flintknapper] #8750307 12/05/22 02:15 PM
Wilson Combat Offline
Boar Meister
Boar Meister
Originally Posted by flintknapper

[Linked Image]

Bullet placement, bullet selection and then caliber!!! To drop hogs DRT reliably a bullet that loses 30-50% of it's original weight placed in the neck will get the job done 100% of the time. I used to be a bonded/solid copper 100% weight retention believer for all hunting, now I will only use these bullets on large game and place them on the front shoulder.

Counting the two I killed last night I've killed 370 hogs YTD with a 300 HAM'R shooting 110-150gr bullets. You don't need a large caliber to kill hogs if you choose the right bullet and place it in the center of the neck, preferably with the hog quartering to you so you get spine and lungs.

Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8750432 12/05/22 04:38 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Amen to that. My mantra for a while now has been "what bullet, at what impact speed, and where it travels through the animal are ALL that matters...headstamps be damned!" Whether or not an exit is accomplished might be another consideration but that depends on what you're shooting at, when you're hunting, and sometimes where you're hunting and what you prefer based on those considerations.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8751045 12/06/22 04:54 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
For another thought or perspective...Do I like to shoot (not hunt) hogs? Absolutely. It is fun, I'll admit. And it's also nice to put an occasional one in the freezer.

However, while I also recognize the benefits the OP mentioned, I wish I never had to pull a trigger on a hog, or ever even think about them. I am squarely anti-hog and wish they were wiped from the landscape. They don't belong here, and have destroyed a lot of ecology and economy. I wonder what they've done to the quail and turkey populations? Snakes? How many fields destroyed and farmers in financial strife?

[Linked Image]
Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: kry226] #8751110 12/06/22 11:51 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by kry226
For another thought or perspective...Do I like to shoot (not hunt) hogs? Absolutely. It is fun, I'll admit. And it's also nice to put an occasional one in the freezer.

However, while i also recognize the benefits the OP mentioned, I wish I never had to pull a trigger on a hog, or ever even think about them. I am squarely anti-hog and wish they were wiped from the landscape. They don't belong here, and have destroyed a lot of ecology and economy. I wonder what they've done to the quail and turkey populations? Snakes? How many fields destroyed and farmers in financial strife?

It's hard to quantify all the factors. I know this, hog hunting has been a benefit to hunting related sales. Guns, ammo, optics, and hunting opportunities for those that have none otherwise, gotta be huge $ for the industry.

Re: Why I like hog hunting [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8751140 12/06/22 01:01 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Blithering idiots trapping, transporting, and releasing them is what got us into this mess. They wanted that short-term "benefit."

Last edited by Creekrunner; 12/06/22 01:19 PM.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide