Forums46
Topics537,785
Posts9,729,137
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: J.G.] #8743827 11/27/22 11:55 PM
T
tehachapi Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
no 30-30? Seriously?

Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: J.G.] #8743837 11/28/22 12:04 AM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by J.G.
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Exactly the same if you load.

You're well aware that I do.

Hand loaders are still by far the minority of hunters/shooters.

Yes sir I am aware of both. You are well aware the hundred year old sweede and the 15 year old creedmoor are ballistic twins.

Edit to add: I voted for the 30-06 and FYI I load and shoot both the 6.5 Swede and the 6.5 CM.

24" barrel
The .260 Rem requires 43.0 to 44.0 gr of powder to make a 140 gr go 2800 fps at the muzzle.
The 6.5 Creedmoor requires 42.0 to 43.0 gr of powder to make a 140 gr go 2800 fps at the muzzle.
^^And that is a maybe on that velocity for both.

What does the 6.5X55 require?

I have dies and brass for 6.5X55, but have not loaded it yet. Someone will call some day.

Loaded more 6.5 Creedmoor and .260 Rem in the last ten years than I can recall. Probably around 10,000 rounds combined of both. And spotted or shot more than that.

Lol I was getting like 3200 FPS out of CM top that suckas.

[Linked Image]

Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: tehachapi] #8743841 11/28/22 12:08 AM
J.G. Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by tehachapi
no 30-30? Seriously?

Read the whole thread.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: J.G.] #8743848 11/28/22 12:13 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
2.5-3 grains more in the Swede for the same velocities but it does it with less pressure. The Swede data is watered down due to the old Mausers it was initially chambered in. In a modern rifle the Swede will surpass the velocity of the creedmoor if you load it to its potential. If you stick to advertised data they run about the same but you are leaving velocity on the table with a modern rifle chambered in the Swede.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: J.G.] #8743851 11/28/22 12:18 AM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L

Growing up in East Texas if you weren't shooting a .30-30, .308, or .30-06, you were shooting buckshot and slugs.

I personally have hunted with more guys shooting the .264 Winchester Magnum than the .270.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8743855 11/28/22 12:21 AM
J.G. Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
2.5-3 grains more in the Swede

Could have stopped right there.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is an example of case geometry improvement.

One was invented 100 years after the 6.5X55, and the other 120 years later.

Lessons learned should not be ignored.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: J.G.] #8743881 11/28/22 12:47 AM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
It is a little bigger case shooting at lower pressure for the same velocity. Load it to the same pressures and then draw real conclusions about what does what if you want to take an unbiased look at performance of both cartridges. The old Swede has a higher ceiling than the CM.

Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: J.G.] #8743908 11/28/22 01:25 AM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Of those listed it should be 308 Win or 7mm-08 Rem. Of those not listed it should probably be 308 Win or 7mm-08 Rem.

Since 270 Win has come up so much in this thread I'll add that the only two people I personally know that own one don't live in Texas. One lived here for a few years but is not from here and the other has never lived here. However, sticking in the 270 vein, I used to hunt in Texas with a guy that has a 270 WSM.

I'm one of the 300 Win Mag owners J.G. developed a load for.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8743977 11/28/22 02:24 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
It is a little bigger case shooting at lower pressure for the same velocity. Load it to the same pressures and then draw real conclusions about what does what if you want to take an unbiased look at performance of both cartridges. The old Swede has a higher ceiling than the CM.

I am a 6.5x55 guy. And was a fan of the 6.5 long before the 6.5 became cool. My main hunting rifles, my target rifle, a milsurp rifle collection based around it including a M41B, and set up to reload for it if needed. So I even have a few pre internet articles on it filed away. The difference is the length of the case. The Swede is longer than the Creed requiring a standard or long action where the Creed uses a short action. Also there have always been problems with Swede ammo in that most manufacturers did not offer options that used the full potential of the cartridge. Supposedly because of the older milsurp rifles and liability. The other problem was that the Swede used a .480 base. Some American manufactures out of cost cutting, laziness, or perhaps what was being offered in custom rifles of the day, were using a base diameter of .473 off of 30 06 case. So depending on the origin of the brass, the base diameter was all over the place. Not the fault of what should have been an excellent target round as shown by the redesigned Creedmoor version, but it it made the Swede not a good choice for off the shelf competition target shooting and potential accuracy problems even for hunting rifles depending on the ammo and rifle combination. Hornady really did not invent a new mouse trap, they just improved on it by creating a new standard, or a standard where one did not exist. For over 100 years it has always been there for the taking waiting on someone to take advantage of it by tweaking it into their own standard. But again, there is nothing Texas about it. The Creed farm is located in New York. Why on earth would anyone want to call the official cartridge of Texas one that is named after a place in New York?

Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: J.G.] #8743985 11/28/22 02:30 AM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Right.

I almost wrote .30WCF but figured .30-30 WIN would turn on more light bulbs.

I ain't ain't even 50 yet.

Pass the gravy.

Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: Sniper John] #8743997 11/28/22 02:35 AM
J.G. Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Sniper John

I am a 6.5x55 guy. And was a fan of the 6.5 long before the 6.5 became cool. My main hunting rifles, my target rifle, a milsurp rifle collection based around it including a M41B, and set up to reload for it if needed. So I even have a few pre internet articles on it filed away. The difference is the length of the case. The Swede is longer than the Creed requiring a standard or long action where the Creed uses a short action. Also there have always been problems with Swede ammo in that most manufacturers did not offer options that used the full potential of the cartridge. Supposedly because of the older milsurp rifles and liability. The other problem was that the Swede used a .480 base. Some American manufactures out of cost cutting, laziness, or perhaps what was being offered in custom rifles of the day, were using a base diameter of .473 off of 30 06 case. So depending on the origin of the brass, the base diameter was all over the place. Not the fault of what should have been an excellent target round as shown by the redesigned Creedmoor version, but it it made the Swede not a good choice for off the shelf competition target shooting and potential accuracy problems even for hunting rifles depending on the ammo and rifle combination. Hornady really did not invent a new mouse trap, they just improved on it by creating a new standard, or a standard where one did not exist. For over 100 years it has always been there for the taking waiting on someone to take advantage of it by tweaking it into their own standard. But again, there is nothing Texas about it. The Creed farm is located in New York. Why on earth would anyone want to call the official cartridge of Texas one that is named after a place in New York?

Maybe he will listen to you.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: J.G.] #8744019 11/28/22 02:52 AM
257 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
I voted for the .270, but in my opinion the "official" cartridge of Texas is the .257 Roberts.

Back in the late '80s (yes, I know it's been a while) I believe it was, I read an article by the late Ray Sasser of the Dallas Morning News who wrote an article in Texas Parks & Wildlife about this very subject. While hunting on various leases throughout Texas that he was privileged to hunt, he conducted an informal survey of the ranch owners/managers of these various prosperities. The cartridge that these folks used was the .257 Roberts. The reason being they needed a dependable, efficient, easy to shoot cartridge day in and day out in managing these properties. They might have to put down an injured cow or horse, protect them from a predator, kill a hog or javelina or when the opportunity allowed harvest a deer or turkey. They were pragmatic and didn't want the fuss of different rifles for different tasks, they needed a rifle that they could pull off their pickup seat or rifle rack, aim and hit its target.

My first rifle was a Remington Model 700 in .257 Roberts, the second a Kimber 84M. These rifles have done everything I have needed in the field. My third deer rifle and the reason I voted for the .270 is a .270 Remington 722, I inherited from my uncle, a sweet shooting rifle.

Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: Sniper John] #8744028 11/28/22 03:02 AM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

I am a 6.5x55 guy. And was a fan of the 6.5 long before the 6.5 became cool. My main hunting rifles, my target rifle, a milsurp rifle collection based around it including a M41B, and set up to reload for it if needed. So I even have a few pre internet articles on it filed away. The difference is the length of the case. The Swede is longer than the Creed requiring a standard or long action where the Creed uses a short action. Also there have always been problems with Swede ammo in that most manufacturers did not offer options that used the full potential of the cartridge. Supposedly because of the older milsurp rifles and liability. The other problem was that the Swede used a .480 base. Some American manufactures out of cost cutting, laziness, or perhaps what was being offered in custom rifles of the day, were using a base diameter of .473 off of 30 06 case. So depending on the origin of the brass, the base diameter was all over the place. Not the fault of what should have been an excellent target round as shown by the redesigned Creedmoor version, but it it made the Swede not a good choice for off the shelf competition target shooting and potential accuracy problems even for hunting rifles depending on the ammo and rifle combination. Hornady really did not invent a new mouse trap, they just improved on it by creating a new standard, or a standard where one did not exist. It was always there for the last 100 years waiting on someone to take advantage of it. But again, there is nothing Texas about it. The Creed farm is located in New York.

Yes sir. Norma brass in a European made long action with a proper bolt face and plenty of room to seat long 156 grain bullets with roughly 5% more case capacity than a 260 or a CM gives the Swede some wallop on large game. The 25 degree shoulder was way ahead of it’s time. It is not the 30 degrees of the CM but it is 5 degrees steeper than the 20 degrees of the beloved 308 case. Modern and efficient by today’s standards.

Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8744046 11/28/22 03:21 AM
J
jlsbassman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J

I am a 6.5x55 guy. And was a fan of the 6.5 long before the 6.5 became cool. My main hunting rifles, my target rifle, a milsurp rifle collection based around it including a M41B, and set up to reload for it if needed. So I even have a few pre internet articles on it filed away. The difference is the length of the case. The Swede is longer than the Creed requiring a standard or long action where the Creed uses a short action. Also there have always been problems with Swede ammo in that most manufacturers did not offer options that used the full potential of the cartridge. Supposedly because of the older milsurp rifles and liability. The other problem was that the Swede used a .480 base. Some American manufactures out of cost cutting, laziness, or perhaps what was being offered in custom rifles of the day, were using a base diameter of .473 off of 30 06 case. So depending on the origin of the brass, the base diameter was all over the place. Not the fault of what should have been an excellent target round as shown by the redesigned Creedmoor version, but it it made the Swede not a good choice for off the shelf competition target shooting and potential accuracy problems even for hunting rifles depending on the ammo and rifle combination. Hornady really did not invent a new mouse trap, they just improved on it by creating a new standard, or a standard where one did not exist. It was always there for the last 100 years waiting on someone to take advantage of it. But again, there is nothing Texas about it. The Creed farm is located in New York.

Yes sir. Norma brass in a European made long action with a proper bolt face and plenty of room to seat long 156 grain bullets with roughly 5% more case capacity than a 260 or a CM gives the Swede some wallop on large game. The 25 degree shoulder was way ahead of it’s time. It is not the 30 degrees of the CM but it is 5 degrees steeper than the 20 degrees of the beloved 308 case. Modern and efficient by today’s standards.

I don’t think you’ll ever convince anybody that the European way is the Texas way. Just sayin. We do like Tikka rifles in 6.5CM though.

Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: jlsbassman] #8744067 11/28/22 03:40 AM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by jlsbassman

I don’t think you’ll ever convince anybody that the European way is the Texas way. Just sayin. We do like Tikka rifles in 6.5CM though.

Yeah. My apologies for going off topic. I voted 30-06 even though I have loaded and shot alot more 270 win. I think Sniper may have made the most compelling case for the 45-70 deserving the moniker “rifle cartridge of Texas”.

Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8744074 11/28/22 03:46 AM
J.G. Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
[quote=Sniper John][quote=Smokey Bear]Yes sir. Norma brass in a European made long action with a proper bolt face and plenty of room to seat long 156 grain bullets with roughly 5% more case capacity than a 260 or a CM gives the Swede some wallop on large game. The 25 degree shoulder was way ahead of it’s time. It is not the 30 degrees of the CM but it is 5 degrees steeper than the 20 degrees of the beloved 308 case. Modern and efficient by today’s standards.

You are comparing a long action, in performance to two short actions.

Let me bring in the 6.5-284

Ponder that first.

156 gr? How bout a 6.5 SAUM, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 WSM? What's the case capacity difference there?

25°? 5° Better than 20°. What about 10° better?
What about 20° better and we go to the Ackley Improves?

Model-A, keep holding onto it. Maybe it will make a come back.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: J.G.] #8744078 11/28/22 03:49 AM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend
[quote=Sniper John][quote=Smokey Bear]Yes sir. Norma brass in a European made long action with a proper bolt face and plenty of room to seat long 156 grain bullets with roughly 5% more case capacity than a 260 or a CM gives the Swede some wallop on large game. The 25 degree shoulder was way ahead of it’s time. It is not the 30 degrees of the CM but it is 5 degrees steeper than the 20 degrees of the beloved 308 case. Modern and efficient by today’s standards.

Ponder that first.

156 gr? How bout a 6.5 SAUM, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 WSM? What's the case capacity difference there?

Don’t speak ill of the Model A!! I’d love to own one but I’d hate to crank start that sucker when I can push button start my new vehicle lol.

[Linked Image]

Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: J.G.] #8744108 11/28/22 04:24 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Another issue I failed to mention with the 6.5x55 is the fact that the original rifles were using 156 grain long bullets. Chamber throats in those rifles were made long to accommodate them. So many modern rifles like my 700 Classic then were also made with a long chamber throat. So if your using lighter shorter bullets in those rifles, there is some space before it hits the rifling and thus another situation where one might not be getting the full accuracy potential with some off the shelf ammunition. Many who shoot the 6.5x55 are not using the right ammo for their rifles, including me. My M41B Sniper rifle I use original 156 grain ammo that was designed for it. My Remington 700 Classic I usually am using cheap 139 grain hunting ammo. The combination in the Remington is more than accurate enough for my hunting purposes, but that combination is not near as accurate as the correct rifle/ammo combination in my original M41B Mauser using the more correct length bullet.

Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: Sniper John] #8744111 11/28/22 04:26 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Another issue I failed to mention with the 6.5x55 is the fact that the original rifles were using 156 grain long bullets. Chamber throats in those rifles were made long to accommodate them. So many modern rifles like my 700 Classic then were also made with a long chamber throat. So if your using lighter shorter bullets in those rifles, there is some space before it hits the rifling and thus another situation where one might not be getting the full accuracy potential with some off the shelf ammunition. Many who shoot the 6.5x55 are not using the right ammo for their rifles. My M41B Sniper rifle I use original 156 grain ammo that was designed for it. My Remington 700 Classic I usually am using cheap 139 grain hunting ammo. The combination in the Remington is more than accurate enough for my hunting purposes, but that combination is not near as accurate as the correct rifle/ammo combination in my original M41B Mauser using the more correct length bullet.

Should get more velocity due to the freebore though

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: txtrophy85] #8744119 11/28/22 04:44 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Another issue I failed to mention with the 6.5x55 is the fact that the original rifles were using 156 grain long bullets. Chamber throats in those rifles were made long to accommodate them. So many modern rifles like my 700 Classic then were also made with a long chamber throat. So if your using lighter shorter bullets in those rifles, there is some space before it hits the rifling and thus another situation where one might not be getting the full accuracy potential with some off the shelf ammunition. Many who shoot the 6.5x55 are not using the right ammo for their rifles. My M41B Sniper rifle I use original 156 grain ammo that was designed for it. My Remington 700 Classic I usually am using cheap 139 grain hunting ammo. The combination in the Remington is more than accurate enough for my hunting purposes, but that combination is not near as accurate as the correct rifle/ammo combination in my original M41B Mauser using the more correct length bullet.

Should get more velocity due to the freebore though

And with that I am going to correct myself. I looked again, and the original Sniper ammo used a "139.97-grain FMJ bullet loaded at 2600 fps". So I may be getting a little over my head and full of crap. Been a while since I was looking and remembering his stuff.

Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: J.G.] #8744128 11/28/22 05:30 AM
S
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Ponder that first.

You miss my point but that is ok. The Creedmoor is a wonderfully efficient cartridge and I understand your zeal for it. I like it too. It is here to stay but does not warrant the title of “rifle cartridge of Texas“.

Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: Smokey Bear] #8744182 11/28/22 01:10 PM
J.G. Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
That's fine thar IA doesn't deserve the rifle cartridge of Texas name. That is not what send us down this road.

I haven't shot my 6.5 Creedmoor in three years. My 7mm-08 and 7mm-08 A.I. have seen plenty of use.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: J.G.] #8744239 11/28/22 02:23 PM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Well, I think the voters have spoken and its clearly the 270. Notable mentions 308, 30-06, 30-30, 243, 45-70.

Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: jeepercreeper] #8744261 11/28/22 02:51 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted by jeepercreeper
Well, I think the voters have spoken and its clearly the 270. Notable mentions 308, 30-06, 30-30, 243, 45-70.

I actually voted 308 real early but had a feeling 270 was gonna win. When i started getting in hunting and shooting as an adult, I heard so much about how awesome and "flat shooting" the 270 was. As a contrarian by nature, naturally didn't like 270. And the flat shooting things is just a comment devoid of any real context to me still.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: The official rifle cartridge of Texas? [Re: Korean Redneck] #8744273 11/28/22 03:06 PM
J.G. Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Korean Redneck
And the flat shooting things is just a comment devoid of any real context to me still.

That is correct. "Flat shooting" cartridges can exist to 300 yards. Past that, they do not exist.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide