Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What is "cold"? [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8740569 11/23/22 10:31 AM
H
hogwart Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
I grew up in CO above 8000 ft. I have hunted deer and elk when it was colder than -20. I have been ice fishing when it was -30. When you spend 7 or 8 months a year with snow on the ground you tend to get used to that sort of thing

I grew up in this area of Northern Alberta.

You are right, a person does get used to the cold. But that doesn't mean we are any better at surviving the cold.
I lost a brother to hypothermia. And I've been too close to succumbing to it myself. Never take the cold for granted.

We get spells where the mercury never tops -30 for days. Some times for a week or more.
And we almost always get a few days of -40 or colder each winter. -60 is not uncommon here.

When you get a spell like that and you have livestock you have no choice but to get out and work in that cold, And it doesn't feel that bad.
But you have to respect the cold.

Make one mistake at those temperatures and it could be your last.

Ways to survive the cold.

Stay out of the wind as much as possible.
Wear wool if possible. Wool insulates even when wet.
Keep moving.
Don't eat snow, especially yellow snow.
Never stop for more then a few minutes without building a fire.
Never wear rubber.
Carry a lunch, you will burn a lot of calories and you need to replace them,.
Carry a chocolate bar, If you play out it'll give you a quick boost of energy.
Wear layers. Don't get over heated. Sweat can kill you quick.

But the best advice is to stay inside when possible.

Do for yourself as much as you can, eat what nature provides as much as you can. This is the key to sleeping well and living long.
Re: What is "cold"? [Re: SherpaPhil] #8740577 11/23/22 11:32 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Been out in below 0° Temps on horse back moving cattle on a working ranch, started snowing, couldn't see 5ft in front of ya. Couldn't feel reins, nor feet in stirips.
Out throwing cake ta cattle, was in back of pick-up
Driver hit a hit small review, so I started walking back ta ranch house. Using telephone post as guide.
Snow hitting face was like needles. Snow blinded, walked in circles. Over an hour.finaly made it, warmed up a tad.
Went got other worker

Several other incedidents, alcohol involved.

Respect the cold.

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: What is "cold"? [Re: hogwart] #8740702 11/23/22 02:31 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by hogwart
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
I grew up in CO above 8000 ft. I have hunted deer and elk when it was colder than -20. I have been ice fishing when it was -30. When you spend 7 or 8 months a year with snow on the ground you tend to get used to that sort of thing

I grew up in this area of Northern Alberta.

You are right, a person does get used to the cold. But that doesn't mean we are any better at surviving the cold.
I lost a brother to hypothermia. And I've been too close to succumbing to it myself. Never take the cold for granted.

We get spells where the mercury never tops -30 for days. Some times for a week or more.
And we almost always get a few days of -40 or colder each winter. -60 is not uncommon here.

When you get a spell like that and you have livestock you have no choice but to get out and work in that cold, And it doesn't feel that bad.
But you have to respect the cold.

Make one mistake at those temperatures and it could be your last.

Ways to survive the cold.

Stay out of the wind as much as possible.
Wear wool if possible. Wool insulates even when wet.
Keep moving.
Don't eat snow, especially yellow snow.
Never stop for more then a few minutes without building a fire.
Never wear rubber.
Carry a lunch, you will burn a lot of calories and you need to replace them,.
Carry a chocolate bar, If you play out it'll give you a quick boost of energy.
Wear layers. Don't get over heated. Sweat can kill you quick.

But the best advice is to stay inside when possible.

I can vouch for the wool. I’m a trucker, touch freight only. I unload the trailer. Nothing is palletized with this company, they pack these trailers from nose to tail and floor to ceiling. No temperature control, these are dry vans. So I work my tail off. It’s possible to break a sweat in minus 40 ambient temp with wind blowing snow in your trailer, I do it every year. I have particularly sweaty feet. I will strip down to a pair of shorts and a camo hoodie with some hot hands body warmers in sub zero weather if I have to, perspiration never stops when you are working your tail off. If my store will keep up with me I will roll the freight down the conveyor as fast as I can.

I spare no expense for socks. I have paid upwards of $15-$20 for a single pair of good socks and I keep spares warm on the defroster in my truck for regular sock changes in the winter. For the most part you get what you pay for but there is no substitute for wool, no wool blend of any sort comes close to a 100% wool sock and even not all wool is good. The $5 wool socks at Walmart are garbage. They carry a 100% merino realtree branded sock at Walmart that is actually pretty good.

No matter how hard you work, sweaty wet feet get cold and will start hurting. I can get a lot more done between boot breaks with good socks, well worth the money.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: What is "cold"? [Re: SherpaPhil] #8741709 11/24/22 07:00 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
The coldest I ever saw in the states was -42° around Helena Montana I think around 1996. You could spit and it would hit the ground as a piece of ice. If you tried to take a whiz none of it would hit the ground and it would just turn into steam. You had to take into account shrinkage from exposure to the cold along with the depth of clothing you were wearing otherwise you were going to get soaked. The temperature had plummeted nearly 30° in a short amount of time and I pretty much gave up trying to hunt. I don't think there was an animal alive that was trying to move in those conditions either. Never have seen or heard of an animal freezing to death but I'm pretty sure it happens.

I had a contract with Ford Motor Company in the '90s working as a calibration engineer. We had to figure out how to make a car start when it was 50 below zero so they trucked a bunch of stuff up into the Arctic Circle in the middle of Canada and I spent months up there. I think it hit 60 below zero multiple times. I can't tell you how many times I blew intake manifolds off of an engine and cold weather with regular power steering fluid would make the power steering pump self-destruct within moments of startup. You also couldn't drive a car if it had an air filter because it would turn to solid ice in no time flat.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide