Forums46
Topics537,006
Posts9,719,380
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: txtrophy85] #8739448 11/21/22 04:56 PM
Tbar Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Early to mid 70's on some property the folks owned in Wood county I am a young teen and I swear I hear wolves....NOT yotes,...NOT dogs. I'm out there at night with my grandmother's 20ga shotgun on a pitch-dark night and they are close, ~150-200yrds and on the move. I am wondering if I can get back to the cabin before we cross paths.

I was way scared.....

Make America Great Again

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #8739450 11/21/22 04:57 PM
B
Big Fitz Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
Originally Posted by Superduty
A covey of quail will make you crap your pants.

You aren’t kidding!

While in college my brother and I went quail hunting on a friend's property and I came down with a severe case of the Wades (squirts). I found the frame of an old cafeteria chair and decided it made for a great toilet. While doing my business, my brother flushed a covey of quail that flew right passed me which induced a second round of the Wades. My brother still reminds me of that scenario every year around hunting season. roflmao

Last edited by Big Fitz; 11/21/22 04:58 PM.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: Tbar] #8739469 11/21/22 05:16 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Tbar
Early to mid 70's on some property the folks owned in Wood county I am a young teen and I swear I hear wolves....NOT yotes,...NOT dogs. I'm out there at night with my grandmother's 20ga shotgun on a pitch-dark night and they are close, ~150-200yrds and on the move. I am wondering if I can get back to the cabin before we cross paths.

I was way scared.....

My grandpa swears he had a wolf that visited the edge of his garden up into the 80s in upshur county. East of New Diana.
My uncle said the last one he saw in upshur county was in early 80s north of Diana near Ore City.

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: Tbar] #8739495 11/21/22 06:07 PM
T
TPACK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Tbar

I was way scared.....

[Linked Image]

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: txtrophy85] #8739629 11/21/22 10:22 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Back in the 70s, we were still teenagers. We decided to camp out at Grapevine Lake, it wasn't far from where we all lived. Me and two buddies took our gear out there along with some beer and other sundry items.

We bedded down, probably around 1 or 2. Fire was burning out. We were drifting off.

All of a sudden, across the lake, we hear a woman scream real loud three times. Then a gun goes off twice. Creeped us out. We threw our stuff in the truck and drove home.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: reeltexan] #8739658 11/21/22 11:09 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by reeltexan

Back in the 70s, we were still teenagers. We decided to camp out at Grapevine Lake, it wasn't far from where we all lived. Me and two buddies took our gear out there along with some beer and other sundry items.

We bedded down, probably around 1 or 2. Fire was burning out. We were drifting off.

All of a sudden, across the lake, we hear a woman scream real loud three times. Then a gun goes off twice. Creeped us out. We threw our stuff in the truck and drove home.

That is creepy.

How far away was the shooting?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: txtrophy85] #8739677 11/21/22 11:36 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Sounded like the other side of the lake. Not sure, 1/2 mile across the water.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: txtrophy85] #8739688 11/21/22 11:47 PM
T
Tommar Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Coons were getting in the sweet corn so my dad and I went out one night to kill some. He went to the place half a mile down the road and I sat on the hog house in the back lot.

As I scanned over the corn field I see one stalk acting funny so go to check it out. Sure enough there’s a mama coon and three babies.

I started off with my single shot 410. Wounded one of the little ones.

Did you know coons scream like a little girl? Yup. They do.

That wounded one went screaming down the row of corn. Luckily not at me.

Unluckily mama coon did. She jumped up three feet and headed my direction. Got close enough I kicked at it.

I then proceeded to unload my 22 rifle at anything that moved.

Dad said it sounded like WWIII.

Yeah, I was spooked. roflmao

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: txtrophy85] #8739693 11/21/22 11:52 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I had a couple coons get into it right outside my bedroom window, one night, with the window open. There was no sleeping after that. The racket they can make is something else.

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: txtrophy85] #8739706 11/22/22 12:19 AM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I hunt on public. Mostly around lakes in Oklahoma. Was making a loop a few weeks before rifle seasons looking for rut sign. As I’m following the lake bed back to the highway I see a boat on the bank in front of me. I am moving along wanted to go around the area but pretty thick so I walk on past. There is a guy up there with a 3 forked hoe ( garden tool don’t know what it’s called) had a short handle on it. He had 2 healers with him. He warned me of the temperament of one. I did not want to talk but was cordial. He was wearing overalls and sandals. Toe nails looked as if they’d not been clipped in years. Pretty large rough looking guy.

So I’m standing there. Friendly dog wanting a back rub. Mean dog keeping a close eye on me. He’s talking asking me what I was doing etc. I would take a step back and he would take a step towards me. Conversation was cordial but I did not want to be in the swing radius of that garden tool. Every time I’d move the dog would growl he would step. I figured he was looking for arrow heads and asked him if he was finding any. He told me he wasn’t liking for arrow heads. Maybe he said that because it’s not legal. Finally got away from him. But the whole deal was strange. I figure he had some plants up there on the bank or something…..

Last edited by ducknbass; 11/22/22 12:32 AM.
Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: txtrophy85] #8739817 11/22/22 02:37 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
My oldest daughter and I liked to pig hunt on fool moons. Near Devine one night we sat in a ground blind as the moon was getting higher. It was really cool and clear, and we could see general shapes without a scope. At about 10:00pm all hell broke loose. The coyotes were close and started howling and barking, they were right on us. Then some pigs came in squealing and running all over, we could see their silhouettes as they ran across the sendero in front of us. Some came up next the blind grunting and squealing. We saw pigs crossing constantly. I do not know if the coyotes were chasing them or not, but some squealing was an eerie dying squealing sound (FoxPro caller sounds). This went on for about ten minutes, really intense.
Then a pig stopped in the road and my daughter shot it. Then things got worse, dead silence. It was like all the animals stopped right where they were and didn't move. We waited a bit before we got the truck and fetched our pig.
A night we still talk about.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: txtrophy85] #8739917 11/22/22 07:18 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I was varmint calling on a cold night wearing a poof ball beanie. My head suddenly got cold and my beanie was gone. I saw movement out in front of me but in the night sky that ended up on a tree limb. A great horned owl plucked that thing right off me and I never heard a thing. It messed with it for a couple of minutes and dropped it as he flew off. I can’t imagine how bad it would have hurt if it had missed a little lower than the poof ball.

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: txtrophy85] #8739978 11/22/22 01:59 PM
nak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I've posted this here before....
I was in a tree stand on the high river bank, at a point where pigs were routinely crossed the river....maybe 12:30 in the morning on overcast night night. Been there about 3 hours when suddenly the wind died down and stopped completely. Every other sound in the woods stopped. No frogs, no yotes calling, not a leaf rustling, Dog's about a mile away on the other side of the river that seem to bark all night went silent. The only two sounds were the water in the river flowing the ringing in my ears. It went on long enough it seriously freaked me out.

I finally crawled down out of the tree stand and head back to the cabin. 5.8 SPC AR with a full mag, .40 carry pistol, thermal scope, NV helmet & illuminator...and I am to the point of being scared out of my skin. If an armadillo had rustled the leaves, I would probably had done a mag dump.

I got about a half mile before suddenly the wind came back, then over the next few minutes, all the normal night sounds returned.

That has been 5+ years and thinking about it still freaks me out.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: nak] #8739986 11/22/22 02:06 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by nak
I've posted this here before....
I was in a tree stand on the high river bank, at a point where pigs were routinely crossed the river....maybe 12:30 in the morning on overcast night night. Been there about 3 hours when suddenly the wind died down and stopped completely. Every other sound in the woods stopped. No frogs, no yotes calling, not a leaf rustling, Dog's about a mile away on the other side of the river that seem to bark all night went silent. The only two sounds were the water in the river flowing the ringing in my ears. It went on long enough it seriously freaked me out.

I finally crawled down out of the tree stand and head back to the cabin. 5.8 SPC AR with a full mag, .40 carry pistol, thermal scope, NV helmet & illuminator...and I am to the point of being scared out of my skin. If an armadillo had rustled the leaves, I would probably had done a mag dump.

I got about a half mile before suddenly the wind came back, then over the next few minutes, all the normal night sounds returned.

That has been 5+ years and thinking about it still freaks me out.

That does cause an eerie feeling when everything goes quiet like that.....

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: ntxtrapper] #8739998 11/22/22 02:25 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I was varmint calling on a cold night wearing a poof ball beanie. My head suddenly got cold and my beanie was gone. I saw movement out in front of me but in the night sky that ended up on a tree limb. A great horned owl plucked that thing right off me and I never heard a thing. It messed with it for a couple of minutes and dropped it as he flew off. I can’t imagine how bad it would have hurt if it had missed a little lower than the poof ball.

That happened to me in the 70's. After that, I learned to move the speaker away from me as far as the cord would allow. Often wonder what damage the claws would have done. Friend with me commented he could see the owl flying off with me as I was kicking and screaming and uttering profanity.

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: txtrophy85] #8740000 11/22/22 02:30 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I remember reading a story in a hunting magazine about a guy getting hit in the face by an owl. This was 20 years ago, after reading the story I remember looking down sitting in my tree stand in those east Texas pines as not to get face punched.

Here’s a more recent story.
https://www.newson6.com/story/5e363...nter-attacked-by-owl-while-in-tree-stand

Last edited by ducknbass; 11/22/22 03:25 PM.
Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: txtrophy85] #8740057 11/22/22 03:20 PM
hetman Offline
"Trash Master"
"Trash Master"
The Woods Go Silent - Sasquatch Smells You- Trust Your Gut-Run like a little Girly man bolt

[Linked Image]

"Lesser mortals are pitied for the misfortune in not being born Texan."

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: ducknbass] #8740077 11/22/22 03:46 PM
R
reeltexan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by ducknbass
I remember reading a story in a hunting magazine about a guy getting hit in the face by an owl. This was 20 years ago, after reading the story I remember looking down sitting in my tree stand in those east Texas pines as not to get face punched.

Here’s a more recent story.
https://www.newson6.com/story/5e363...nter-attacked-by-owl-while-in-tree-stand

Owls like deer stands for roosts. Always ease that door open....

[Linked Image]

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: ntxtrapper] #8740097 11/22/22 04:11 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

I know my neck always shrinks into my shoulders when they start dive bombing us. We usually hit them with the light right when they get close.

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #8740149 11/22/22 05:56 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
Originally Posted by Superduty
A covey of quail will make you crap your pants.

You aren’t kidding!

I've almost forgotten what that was like. I sure miss the quail.

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: txtrophy85] #8740158 11/22/22 06:16 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I’m just going to say if you get in a pop up ground blind in a very dense river bottom thicket at 2am knowing you have bears and mountain lions in the area while trying to sleep until daylight comes so you don’t bump the deer your after and a Bobcat kills a fawn 25 yards right behind the blind in complete darkness it will scare the ever loving crap out of you. The sounds I heard that morning still make me jittery thinking about it. I’m 100% comfortable in the darkness and it’s one of my favorite times to be in the woods listening to things you can’t see move around but I’d like a redo on that morning and not be there. Bobcat screams and the moans of a deer dying are pretty scary, the couple hours until daylight came were the longest hours of my life.

Re: Let’s get a spooky thread going about hunting trips [Re: txtrophy85] #8740164 11/22/22 06:27 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I have 2 lessors who are scared of the dark. They carry their rifle and a pistol on their hip for protection and the brightest flashlight they can find. .They are convinced there are man eating hogs in the woods.

I heard this banging noise one morning when waiting for daylight. There would be a crash and then stop, a bit later it was again. When daylight came I saw a hog trap my trapper had put out during the week and there was a hog in it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide