Forums46
Topics537,811
Posts9,729,401
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Honest Opinion — Is a Boat Worth It? [Re: steventtu] #8736491 11/17/22 03:58 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by steventtu
So, I'll start by saying that I'm fairly new to duck hunting. This is my third season, but I'm absolutely loving everything about it. I've hunted public land and small water so far, with decent success—limits are rare, but I generally get a bird or two, so no complaints. My question is, do you think it's worth taking the next step and going with a duck boat?

I know there's much more to hunting than just shooting ducks, but do the more experienced hunters out there think that having access to a boat increases your overall success? Or is it more about the experience of loading up the boat and cruising to a new area? The only reason I ask is because I see a lot of big lake hunters talk about how horrible the hunting is, so I don't want to invest in something that just doesn't make sense. I'm guessing that I just hear about the bad hunts on forums, though, and there are probably more successful hunts than I realize.

I have a 15-foot aluminum boat that I'm refurbishing, and I'm considering getting a 20hp in the next few months so I can put a boat in the mix next season. Anyways, I'd love to hear your opinion on the boat vs no-boat debate!

At that size yes since it’s a minimal investment. It will open up more regional options like the coast. With that said be smart. Know the weather and forecast, learn to run shore lines if need be. Regardless if wind or weather is bad walk out and try not to hunt a spot you can’t walk out,

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Honest Opinion — Is a Boat Worth It? [Re: steventtu] #8739832 11/22/22 02:53 AM
B
BDB Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Get a mud boat and become part of the problem with today's duck hunting. And I'm a part of it also. Mud boats have changed duck hunting more than anything imo in the last 10 years or so. We duck hunters are our own worst enemy lol.

I'm very serious about what I just said above but yes, a boat opens doors for you.

Re: Honest Opinion — Is a Boat Worth It? [Re: steventtu] #8739864 11/22/22 03:34 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Don’t get a mud motor unless you like working on them, constant work, putting a new clutch in now.

[Linked Image]

Re: Honest Opinion — Is a Boat Worth It? [Re: steventtu] #8740080 11/22/22 03:51 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I always hear guys say that. But my prodrive doesn’t seem to have constant issues.

Re: Honest Opinion — Is a Boat Worth It? [Re: ducknbass] #8740087 11/22/22 03:58 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ducknbass
I always hear guys say that. But my prodrive doesn’t seem to have constant issues.

Not always the motor, seems to always be something, trailer lights, over all trailer parts need replacing or fixed, fishing electronics not works has to be rewired.

I do plan to get a new motor, I might look at prodrive.

Re: Honest Opinion — Is a Boat Worth It? [Re: steventtu] #8740103 11/22/22 04:24 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I didn't know they had a clutch. Thought it was a simple forward/ reverse gear. I'm designing a simple clutch for my longtail activated by the throttle but can be engaged separately.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Honest Opinion — Is a Boat Worth It? [Re: Guy] #8740250 11/22/22 08:54 PM
F
flashman252 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Originally Posted by Guy
Don’t get a mud motor unless you like working on them, constant work, putting a new clutch in now.

[Linked Image]

I have never had a single issue with any of my mudmotors. Had first gen mudbuddy, had my 37 efi for 5 years, and now into a 5000 efi and not once have I ever had to dig into one like this. The only thing I have ever done on any of mine is grease all the zerks, change the oil, change the air filter, and change spark plugs and this happens once a year before every duck season. Never once have I had any issues with any of my motors. Plan on running this 5000 efi until it just blows up.

Re: Honest Opinion — Is a Boat Worth It? [Re: steventtu] #8740263 11/22/22 09:13 PM
O
OTL91 Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
O
My problem with boats is I always want another one... I had an outboard and a jack plate sold it to get a mud motor....and an airboat... and a little layout boat...and I borrow my BILs outboard... every boat has its purpose... some days I think I should sell one or two.... but I like running them and working on them way too much to do that. I am just glad I don't like fishing too much.... that would mean another boat...

Re: Honest Opinion — Is a Boat Worth It? [Re: flashman252] #8740378 11/23/22 01:11 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by flashman252
Originally Posted by Guy

[Linked Image]

I have never had a single issue with any of my mudmotors. Had first gen mudbuddy, had my 37 efi for 5 years, and now into a 5000 efi and not once have I ever had to dig into one like this. The only thing I have ever done on any of mine is grease all the zerks, change the oil, change the air filter, and change spark plugs and this happens once a year before every duck season. Never once have I had any issues with any of my motors. Plan on running this 5000 efi until it just blows up.

You ever check your belt tension?

Re: Honest Opinion — Is a Boat Worth It? [Re: steventtu] #8740390 11/23/22 01:31 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I have had this motor since 2014. I have had my trim stop working, that was connection gone bad had to rewire that. Got a crack in my lower unit, had to get that welded…maybe hitting so many stumps?

[Linked Image]

I’m having a hell of a time getting that last clutch plate off.

Got an oil leak here not too bad, that will need to be fixed.

[Linked Image]

Just noticed my tiny tach is not working…need to look into that, I have already replaced that once.

[Linked Image]

And my trailer, I have replaced every part at least once. But it is old, 2007.

Re: Honest Opinion — Is a Boat Worth It? [Re: steventtu] #8740795 11/23/22 03:57 PM
F
flashman252 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Wow Guy, you got some bad luck going for sure. I aint easy on any of my stuff. We dont have a ton of stumps but we got lots of rock. I have hit so many boulders and hard things, never had a crack and never had anything (except a prop) get really damaged. The amount of sand I run through, I wear props out in a quick hurry. They get scary sharp by the end of season and always carry a spare or two in the boat because I have hit a prop so hard, it vibrated extremely violent. Had to get out and change it because it was causing so much vibration. As far as clutches, and leaks, and wiring...... never have I ever had any issues. Again, yearly maintenance and fresh gas every October. I always always run premium in all my motors, and every February, before I put it away for the summer, I pull the gas line and empty out the gas tank so it ensures there is fresh stuff that goes in the next fall. Only one time ever did a motor not fire up for me first turn of the key once the bulb was primed.

Even my very first mudmotor (25 kohler motor) first gen surface drive, is still running to this day. The old man I sold it to in texas just sent a vid the other day of it still kicking. So if you'd stop taking a jack hammer to them every so often, it might help lol.

As far as belt tension, yes I do check this but not as much as I used to. I know my 37 efi (2016) and this 5000 efi (2019) have kevlar belts now and I have the tension checker and do it every so often. Those two never have been out of spec, but my first gen I had to adjust twice, but they were using a different belt material. I also had a buddy with a first gen that had a belt almost blow up on the haul out to a hunt one morning. About 2/3 of a section of belt just came loose. Opened up the back plate, cut that piece off that was flapping around in the housing and then idled it back to the ramp after the hunt. It made it but we couldnt dare put any throttle to it. He had never checked the tension on his belt and I have no idea if it was too tight or too loose but that belt damn near came apart that morning. It sputtered, back fired 4 good booms, and then was making a flapping pounding sound. Shut her down real quick, got out on the side of the bank and pulled the back cover and discovered that mess.

Last edited by flashman252; 11/23/22 04:03 PM.
Re: Honest Opinion — Is a Boat Worth It? [Re: steventtu] #8740848 11/23/22 04:32 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Since I have had my motor 2014, I have adjusted my belt 6 times, when it has dropped below 16lbs, per the video below, I watch that video before I even bought my boat, but over the last year I have realized per the owner manual and talking to Mudbuddy, that it only needs to be adjust it if it drops below 12lbs, that makes a big difference, 12lbs vs 16lbs...

Re: Honest Opinion — Is a Boat Worth It? [Re: Guy] #8740858 11/23/22 04:39 PM
F
flashman252 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
Originally Posted by Guy
Since I have had my motor 2014, I have adjusted my belt 6 times, when it has dropped below 16lbs, per the video below, I watch that video before I even bought my boat, but over the last year I have realized per the owner manual and talking to Mudbuddy, that it only needs to be adjust it if it drops below 12lbs, that makes a big difference, 12lbs vs 16lbs...

Yes that is huge. Do you know the belt material your motor has? I know those first belts weren't near as good as the ones in them now. Besides the couple times I had to adjust it on my first gen, and that one incident, I have never had any belt issues.

Re: Honest Opinion — Is a Boat Worth It? [Re: flashman252] #8740882 11/23/22 05:02 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by flashman252
Do you know the belt material your motor has? I know those first belts weren't near as good as the ones in them now.

I got the newer one.

Re: Honest Opinion — Is a Boat Worth It? [Re: steventtu] #8750173 12/05/22 08:06 AM
B
Bluesea112 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Once you duck hunt with a boat you will wonder why you didnt buy one sooner. Its a game changer. I would suggest a wide 14ft aluminum with a tiller steer jet outboard unless you are planning to travel across mud flats. A yamaha or mercury jet outboard is as reliable as a standard outboard, and it will run in a couple of inches of water.

Last edited by Bluesea112; 12/05/22 08:08 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide