Print Thread
Hunting w/out Feeders/Blinds #8735688 11/16/22 04:03 PM
S
Sauerkraut Online Content OP
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
S
A few years ago I had hunting access in the panhandle. It was beautiful, rough-country, canyon land with turkey, whitetail, and mule deer. It hadn't been hunted much previously, and I absolutely loved that it was virtually untouched. Another family member got access and put up feeders. It changed the feeling of the whole property in my opinion. I had no hard feelings toward him, but it was never the same to me. I fully understand that it's impossible to escape the human influence on animal behavior, but I like the idea of learning movement patterns and habits other than 'they show up at the feeder at X:XX am".

The reason I ask, is I would love to find a lease or gain access to land and hunt in this way, specifically in NTX where I'm at. I hunt public land quite often, but you run into the usual issues there - lots of human pressure, people not abiding by the rules (baiting, stands, etc), cattle, etc.

Does anyone currently hunt private land in this way? Do y'all think that landowners would be more willing to grant access if the people coming in weren't altering their property?

I think the only modifications I would make, would maybe be some food plots, adding natural forage, or trying to bring back native grasses to provide cover. One of the catches to this I see is that the property would have to be large enough to naturally hold deer and/or be a natural travel route for them.

I would love to hunt this way and was just curious to see what others thought.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: Hunting w/out Feeders/Blinds [Re: Sauerkraut] #8735694 11/16/22 04:12 PM
J
jmh004 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I think theyd be a lot more willing of you to put up feeders, versus coming in and cutting in food plots.

Re: Hunting w/out Feeders/Blinds [Re: Sauerkraut] #8735819 11/16/22 06:56 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
I put up two feeders last year, but neither is hunted, they're just for attracting and feeding deer. Those are the first two feeders we've used in 40 years. We always just hunted trails and such. We might have used hand corn now and then but never relied on it. We depended on natural deer movement, and I still hunt that way.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Hunting w/out Feeders/Blinds [Re: Sauerkraut] #8735822 11/16/22 07:02 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
How far are you willing to hike in, and pack out if you kill?

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Hunting w/out Feeders/Blinds [Re: Sauerkraut] #8735825 11/16/22 07:13 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I would love to hunt trails and move around a bit more, but try leasing 800 acres with 3 other guys and hunt this way. The more you move around, the fewer deer you have. Most landowners would prefer leasing hunters to hunt feeders simply because of the safety factors. Plus, if your lease is on marginal deer country anyway, without food plots and feeders, you start off with fewer deer. The price and number of hunters pretty much dictates how a lease is hunted.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Hunting w/out Feeders/Blinds [Re: BenBob] #8735834 11/16/22 07:33 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by BenBob
I would love to hunt trails and move around a bit more, but try leasing 800 acres with 3 other guys and hunt this way. The more you move around, the fewer deer you have. Most landowners would prefer leasing hunters to hunt feeders simply because of the safety factors. Plus, if your lease is on marginal deer country anyway, without food plts and feeders, you start off with fewer deer. The price and number of hunters pretty much dictates how a lease is hunted.

Outside of marginal deer country, you can still put up blinds and hunt that way. I hunt on 600 acres and have six really good spots and have four-five more smaller spots; I could easily lease to four guys that wanted to hunt OP's way. Most guys just don't want to hunt like that these days, though. They want to sit on their phones and watch a feeder. You make a good point about the safety issue and the feeder-I hadn't really thought about that.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Hunting w/out Feeders/Blinds [Re: Sauerkraut] #8735851 11/16/22 07:52 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
The place I hunt in OK is hunted this way. There are quite a few ladder stands strewn about the property. Some of them have been there since before I started hunting the property 40 years ago. Sometimes I will sit in one of the stands if it happens to be in the right spot with the wind in the right direction. But, more often than not, I find myself leaning up against the base of a tree or still hunting. There are cattle on the property, but then again, there has been cattle on the property for a very, very, long time. There are still remnants of some old homesteads on property, and some old hand dug wells...probably from the late 1800's to early 1900's. Very cool place to hunt an explore.

Re: Hunting w/out Feeders/Blinds [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8735857 11/16/22 07:59 PM
S
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
How far are you willing to hike in, and pack out if you kill?

As far as I need to! Hiked out a few miles through pretty thick brush with a pig a few weeks ago. Felt good. Did have some help though.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: Hunting w/out Feeders/Blinds [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8735860 11/16/22 08:03 PM
S
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by BenBob
I would love to hunt trails and move around a bit more, but try leasing 800 acres with 3 other guys and hunt this way. The more you move around, the fewer deer you have. Most landowners would prefer leasing hunters to hunt feeders simply because of the safety factors. Plus, if your lease is on marginal deer country anyway, without food plts and feeders, you start off with fewer deer. The price and number of hunters pretty much dictates how a lease is hunted.

Outside of marginal deer country, you can still put up blinds and hunt that way. I hunt on 600 acres and have six really good spots and have four-five more smaller spots; I could easily lease to four guys that wanted to hunt OP's way. Most guys just don't want to hunt like that these days, though. They want to sit on their phones and watch a feeder. You make a good point about the safety issue and the feeder-I hadn't really thought about that.

Safety would certainly be an issue with firearms. I would probably stick to bowhunting depending on the environment. I've found that the puzzle of finding the deer and trying to put myself on the proverbial 'X' is my favorite part. I'm still learning a lot and have had limited success, but I've become a much better hunter this way.

Re: Hunting w/out Feeders/Blinds [Re: Sauerkraut] #8735861 11/16/22 08:06 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I've done it and had fun doing. I'm over now though. grin

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Hunting w/out Feeders/Blinds [Re: Sauerkraut] #8735872 11/16/22 08:20 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
We had a mule deer lease for the endurance of archery season between Alpine and Sanderson. Basically we hunted the weekends. The only sure draw was water. We hunted around water a couple of times and that was the only real chance at shots that we got. This place was 25 sections or so of rough country. We had some unsuccessful stalks on deer that we saw from a distance, but mainly we were no threat to the deer herd because we spent most of our time seeing what was over the next hill or what was just around the next bend in the road. Too much country can be a curse just like having to hunt over a feeder, especially if your adventuresome side takes over,

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Hunting w/out Feeders/Blinds [Re: Sauerkraut] #8735881 11/16/22 08:28 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
There are three of us on my lease of 20 years. One original member has been there 27. We have blinds and feeders, but we also hunt trails and move around sometimes. We have old chairs strategically placed on trails, bluffs, field edges, in a flat of oaks, and overlooking pinch points. Some include open log brush blinds around them. One is in a clump of cedar trees for a natural blind, some are just up against a tree. A couple are on game trails that eventually lead to feeders neighboring hunters have put on our fence line. Anyone on the lease can walk to and use these chairs. We have two trails cut through creek bottoms where there are no stands or feeders that we use for still hunting. I spent the first 11 days of season at my lease and best guess I hunted vantage points on a field or off a bluff and a pinch point between a bluff and creek on 3 our of every 4 hunts. Only 1 out of 4 of my hunts was at a feeder. Over 50% of the time we walk from camp to stand and back rather than drive. We have cell phones and keep up with each other if not in camp. We know where everyone is at and will let the others know if we are moving. But we also do other types of hunting and fishing too. As laid back as can be and never had a disagreement or problem in 20 years.

No two lease groups are the same. I usually have two leases at a time and have been on other leases where every member basically was allowed only one stand to maintain and hunt and no one was allowed to hunt anywhere else but from their stand, no walking outside camp or vehicle to stand, no driving during certain hours, no small game or bird hunting, no guests, etc. And that is ok. It was what I wanted at the time for my alternate. But today my 2nd lease is even more laid back than my other one. You just have to find a lease or group that thinks like you or start your own lease, but as the lease manager keep the cards on the table and find members who will hunt the way you want.

Re: Hunting w/out Feeders/Blinds [Re: Sauerkraut] #8735899 11/16/22 08:45 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
My current and former hunting spots in Okla corn feeders are worth less. Hunt ag field, pinch points and native food (white oaks and persimmons )

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hunting w/out Feeders/Blinds [Re: Sauerkraut] #8735902 11/16/22 08:48 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
That's gonna be a hard nut to crack IMO.....but you can find leases where you hunt the way you like and not worry about how others will hunt as long as the rules are followed and safety always coming first.....

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Hunting w/out Feeders/Blinds [Re: Sniper John] #8735909 11/16/22 09:02 PM
S
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sniper John
There are three of us on my lease of 20 years. One original member has been there 27. We have blinds and feeders, but we also hunt trails and move around sometimes. We have old chairs strategically placed on trails, bluffs, field edges, in a flat of oaks, and overlooking pinch points. Some include open log brush blinds around them. One is in a clump of cedar trees for a natural blind, some are just up against a tree. A couple are on game trails that eventually lead to feeders neighboring hunters have put on our fence line. Anyone on the lease can walk to and use these chairs. We have two trails cut through creek bottoms where there are no stands or feeders that we use for still hunting. I spent the first 11 days of season at my lease and best guess I hunted vantage points on a field or off a bluff and a pinch point between a bluff and creek on 3 our of every 4 hunts. Only 1 out of 4 of my hunts was at a feeder. Over 50% of the time we walk from camp to stand and back rather than drive. We have cell phones and keep up with each other if not in camp. We know where everyone is at and will let the others know if we are moving. But we also do other types of hunting and fishing too. As laid back as can be and never had a disagreement or problem in 20 years.

No two lease groups are the same. I usually have two leases at a time and have been on other leases where every member basically was allowed only one stand to maintain and hunt and no one was allowed to hunt anywhere else but from their stand, no walking outside camp or vehicle to stand, no driving during certain hours, no small game or bird hunting, no guests, etc. And that is ok. It was what I wanted at the time for my alternate. But today my 2nd lease is even more laid back than my other one. You just have to find a lease or group that thinks like you or start your own lease, but as the lease manager keep the cards on the table and find members who will hunt the way you want.

Sounds like a very cool situation. I do have some buddies that have a similar mindset towards hunting as I do. Mostly friends from church and we've talked about trying to find a lease for our group. I would much prefer a group that could hunt a property together rather than everyone getting their own compartment and managing it by themselves. Takes a special group of people though.

I guess what I'm truly interested in is exactly what you are describing. Knowing as much as I can about the land I hunt and how the animals navigate it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide