Page 1 of 2 1 2
Springfield prodigy, a short-term review #8725518 11/03/22 03:32 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
I wandered into my local gun store yesterday and they had a prodigy for about a hundred bucks less than MSRP, so I decided what the heck I would give it a try. I bought it knowing that there's been some reliability issues with some of the guns, and I figured if I had to send it to Springfield to get it working it wouldn't be too much different than guys sending their guns back to staccato, or Atlas, or SV to get the bugs worked out LOL.

So here's the review:

I bought the four and a quarter model because I tend to not like overly nose heavy guns and I figured it would cycle a little quicker. Add in that in most of the online reviews the 4-in guns have been a little more reliable and it seemed like a win-win. I'm not overly concerned about sight radius because I do plan on this gun eventually having an SRO.

I was really just test firing this morning and put about 120 rounds through the gun. It ran like a top. The only hang up was one that I figured was going to happen, because I was trying to induce it. I took some 125 power factor ammo and barneyed up, and then loaded a full mag of Winchester white box, and shot it loosely weak hand. It jammed on the first round, with that round nosing into the feed ramp. I took that mag back out barney'd up with a Winchester white box that's around 138 power factor, shot weak hand and it worked fine.

So here's the interesting part, the gun likes shorter ammo better than longer ammo. Because my reloads are lead and have a flat nose, they're about 28mm long and will cycle perfectly even if you're guiding the slide down very slowly. The Winchester white box is about 30 mm long and if you don't drop the slide on it it tends to want to try to hang up. (Sorry for the commie measurements, I don't have a mic with me and I knew I'd be a little more precise using millimeters on my Leatherman than inches lol). That said other than the one bobble already mentioned, the Winchester white box worked perfect in actual shooting, as did my 125 power factor reloads.

I used the factory 17 and 20 round mags that came with a gun, and I also bought an extra 20 and 26 rounder, they all ran perfect.

I do think the shorter slide was the good call as the gun seems to snap right back down on target, probably better than any other gun I've ever shot. I didn't really test accuracy other than I was able to hit what I was aiming at, most of my shooting was at steel or a rock laying on the ground LOL. I was able to get a couple on our steel gong which is 24x24 at 192 yards, in a 20 mile an hour crosswind, off hand. It took about 10 shots to get a hit, as I was shooting by myself and wasn't able to see my misses. That was all with the iron sights that came on the gun, which are pretty nice.

The trigger is not great, but not horrible. Judging by my trigger finger I'm thinking it's breaking right around 4 to four and a half pounds and fairly clean. I will get a trigger job done on it.

It came with a plate that I believe will work with my vortex venom, so I'm going to put it on for the time being until the other plates become available and then probably switch it to an SRO. Other than adding a dot, a trigger job, possibly buying some different base pads and followers for some mags to up the round count, and a magwell when they become available, I'm not going to do anything else to the gun. I plan on just shooting the hell out of it and seeing how well it works.

So there is your review, if you got any questions I will try to answer them as best I can. Right now I give the gun two thumbs up, I might change my mind in a few thousand rounds but that'll take me a bit LOL

Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: RJH1] #8725551 11/03/22 04:18 PM
D
Dzhitshard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Just an fyi from personal experience: The venom pattern fits that plate but it won't fit in the slide on that plate because of the rounded leading edge of the optic. I ended up picking up a Crimson Trace something or other model that is shaped more like an RMR and it fit the slide. On the way to the range the next day I stopped at the local gun shop and they had a Hex Dragonfly so I left with it and swapped optics on the range.

Any of my thumb drag malfunction tendencies cleaned up when I changed to an 11# recoil spring. I tried 12# but that was over kill and swapped in the 11# pretty quick. Outside of the thumb drag induced malfunctions it ran well prior but it's been a sewing machine since the 11# spring swap.

If anyone is looking for a field rig holster solution I think there is an available option until Safariland etc release something duty worthy.

I have a blackhawk omnivore holster that I'd been carrying my pig coup de gras pistol in. On a whim I slapped a spare X300 on the Prodigy and it is very functional. I ordered a Blackhawk to Safariland conversion plate adapter and the weakest part of the rig is now the chicago screws that hold the holster body to the mount plate, just like it is on a full safari land system.

Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: RJH1] #8725565 11/03/22 04:35 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Good review. I have the same gun. I have about 500 rounds through mine. No issues with AE 115gr and 124gr ammo. Ordered a Holoson sight for mine, just waiting on the SA plate.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: Dzhitshard] #8725620 11/03/22 05:55 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dzhitshard
Just an fyi from personal experience: The venom pattern fits that plate but it won't fit in the slide on that plate because of the rounded leading edge of the optic. I ended up picking up a Crimson Trace something or other model that is shaped more like an RMR and it fit the slide. On the way to the range the next day I stopped at the local gun shop and they had a Hex Dragonfly so I left with it and swapped optics on the range.

Any of my thumb drag malfunction tendencies cleaned up when I changed to an 11# recoil spring. I tried 12# but that was over kill and swapped in the 11# pretty quick. Outside of the thumb drag induced malfunctions it ran well prior but it's been a sewing machine since the 11# spring swap.

If anyone is looking for a field rig holster solution I think there is an available option until Safariland etc release something duty worthy.

I have a blackhawk omnivore holster that I'd been carrying my pig coup de gras pistol in. On a whim I slapped a spare X300 on the Prodigy and it is very functional. I ordered a Blackhawk to Safariland conversion plate adapter and the weakest part of the rig is now the chicago screws that hold the holster body to the mount plate, just like it is on a full safari land system.

Thanks on the heads up about the venom. I had read that they don't work, but then I also saw a video where a guy put one on his gun. So I don't know why that is, but I'm going to find out if mine will work this evening. If it won't work I will just wait till I can get an SRO

Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: RJH1] #8725665 11/03/22 07:13 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Quick note on the venom deal, sure enough just like you said it will not work. I started doing some more googling and apparently the people that are getting them to work are dremeling off the front of the sight. I'm not going to do that LOL

Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: RJH1] #8725669 11/03/22 07:20 PM
D
Dzhitshard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
It will also fit if you seat it (pound it in) with a rubber mallet like he did.

It oblongs the relief in the optic base that the AOS plate recoil pins seat in and then they need reamed out. It's a sloppy fit and then it relies totally on the threads and tapered screw head to absorb recoil and hold position. It will fail like every other dot slide mounting system that doesn't incorporate decent recoil boss designs.

Last edited by Dzhitshard; 11/03/22 07:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: RJH1] #8725703 11/03/22 08:27 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Holster Options...I spoke with a rep at G-Code last week and they indicated that they will be making holsters for these next year in late Q1 or Q2. I also ordered one of the SA offerings made by Blackpoint to try it out.

I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: The Dude Abides] #8725720 11/03/22 08:42 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
Holster Options...I spoke with a rep at G-Code last week and they indicated that they will be making holsters for these next year in late Q1 or Q2. I also ordered one of the SA offerings made by Blackpoint to try it out.

Comptac also has some holsters available

Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: RJH1] #8727883 11/06/22 10:36 PM
duckhunter175 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
good reviews and info!

Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: RJH1] #8728323 11/07/22 04:08 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by RJH1

I see them on their website but it does not look like they config correctly.

Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: The Dude Abides] #8728525 11/07/22 07:46 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R

I see them on their website but it does not look like they config correctly.

Well, I called and made sure that they did have them and they were supposed to fit, and then I ordered one. They have a little bit of a lead time but when it gets here I will report back if it fits or not. I did have to get the 5-in model but they said it should fit the four and a quarter inch gun no problem. If it does and everything works okay I'll just chop a little bit of it off

Edited to add this video with Rob Leatham and his prodigy in a comp tac holster

https://youtu.be/Fntjr1L0M0g

Last edited by RJH1; 11/07/22 07:51 PM.
Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: RJH1] #8728765 11/08/22 12:47 AM
L
luv2brode Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
L
A shame when ya have to circumcise your holster

i am cancelling my subscription, i am tired of your issues!
Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: RJH1] #8736156 11/17/22 02:21 AM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
For those interested my comp tec holster and mag holders made it today. All seem to fit the gun and magazines well with no issues. I've only got to shoot the gun about 20 or 30 more rounds since the original post, but hope to get to shoot it in a match this weekend

Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: RJH1] #8740379 11/23/22 01:11 AM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Prodigy holster that SA offers. Seems pretty solid.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: The Dude Abides] #8740767 11/23/22 03:30 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Not a bad looking holster, but I think I like the compact a touch better. Not to mention Springfield didn't see fit to make a lefty holster LOL

Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: RJH1] #8740954 11/23/22 06:40 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Not a bad looking holster, but I think I like the compact a touch better. Not to mention Springfield didn't see fit to make a lefty holster LOL

I'm not a big fan of the belt loop attachment it came with. I'm changing to the G Code RTI style. Holster already has cut outs for it.

Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: RJH1] #8740996 11/23/22 07:39 PM
S
SR025 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Tenicor makes excellent holsters for Staccato so maybe those would work for these?

Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: SR025] #8741028 11/23/22 08:13 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted by SR025
Tenicor makes excellent holsters for Staccato so maybe those would work for these?

I have read that some of the staccato holsters would work, but I was familiar with comptac and since they made one I just went that route. There's a ton of good holster companies out there, but I just went with one that I knew for sure made good holsters and had the gun listed, instead of hoping that a holster for a different gun would fit

Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: RJH1] #8747177 12/01/22 05:56 PM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Received G Code RTI hardware. Everything works as it should. Lock up between holster and belt carrier is tight, no loose play.

[Linked Image]

Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: RJH1] #8749013 12/03/22 08:31 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Finally got to shoot this gun in a match today. Used 3 different 20 round mags and 2 26 round mags. Ran 100 percent. Still all stock other than taping down the grip safety. Used irons, as i am still waiting on an optic plate for my sro. Just a small match ~150 rounds total. So far really happy with the gun.

Comptac holster and mag holders worked great

Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: RJH1] #8749025 12/03/22 08:41 PM
R
RJH1 Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Some pics

Attached Files IMG_20221203_143402_519.jpgIMG_20221203_143350_255.jpg
Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: RJH1] #8749300 12/04/22 03:05 AM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
good looking rig

Last edited by The Dude Abides; 12/04/22 03:06 AM.

Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: The Dude Abides] #8749303 12/04/22 03:13 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Received G Code RTI hardware. Everything works as it should. Lock up between holster and belt carrier is tight, no loose play.

[Linked Image]

so is this your competition rig?

Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: Buzzsaw] #8749350 12/04/22 04:15 AM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

[Linked Image]

so is this your competition rig?

just the holster and belt mount. not a competitor, just shoot for chits and grins.

Re: Springfield prodigy, a short-term review [Re: RJH1] #8749922 12/05/22 01:26 AM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
Honest Outlaw on YouTube says they are not reliable.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide