Print Thread
Want to Build an AR - Need Help #8724919 11/02/22 09:37 PM
B
Bowhunt Only Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
So, if you were going to build an AR from the ground up...not the best AR money can buy necessarily, but a good, solid reliable and reasonably accurate AR for a budge of $1,200 - $1,500 or thereabouts. Maybe a little more, or less. What would you build? What upper? Lower? Barrel? Trigger? Etc.

Once again, I'm not looking for the best most top-end AR money can buy, just a good solid reliable rifle I can count on for years to come.

All thoughts welcome.

Re: Want to Build an AR - Need Help [Re: Bowhunt Only] #8724959 11/02/22 10:12 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
This will be subjective for sure. Look at products offered by Daniel Defense and Bravo Company. LaRue Tactical has very economical triggers.

Last edited by The Dude Abides; 11/02/22 10:15 PM.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Want to Build an AR - Need Help [Re: Bowhunt Only] #8724988 11/02/22 11:00 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Ask Big Fitz, he is the man.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Want to Build an AR - Need Help [Re: Bowhunt Only] #8725055 11/03/22 12:24 AM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Upper/lower/rail don't matter, pick one out that you like.
Barrel: JP or Wilson
Trigger: CMC
BCG: Wilson or BMC

The last couple I've put together have been Wilson everything with matched billet recievers and a CMC trigger. They were probably about $1500 in parts.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Want to Build an AR - Need Help [Re: Bowhunt Only] #8725067 11/03/22 12:32 AM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Wilson has revievers and builder sets on sale right now.
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/RECEIV...GRAY-BASE/productinfo/TR-UL-CTG-15R-BGA/

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Want to Build an AR - Need Help [Re: Bowhunt Only] #8725070 11/03/22 12:33 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Re: Want to Build an AR - Need Help [Re: Bowhunt Only] #8725112 11/03/22 01:21 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
OP…do you have any assembly tools? If not, look up some YouTube videos on basic tools you’ll need for building an AR.

I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Want to Build an AR - Need Help [Re: The Dude Abides] #8725200 11/03/22 03:08 AM
B
Bowhunt Only Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
OP…do you have any assembly tools? If not, look up some YouTube videos on basic tools you’ll need for building an AR.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out!

Re: Want to Build an AR - Need Help [Re: Bowhunt Only] #8725225 11/03/22 03:43 AM
DustyArmadillo Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Aero upper and lower
PRI charging handle if running suppressed
Radian if not (do not buy the bcm charging handle, horrible)
Brownells Bcg
Rise armament trigger
Larue or BCM handguard
Larue buttstock
Green mountain barrel
Go mid length gas on a 16” barrel. rifle length gas on an 18”.
(I’ve bought several from compass lake if you want to splurge on a barrel)
Wait for a scope that comes up on THF that you like.

Everything I’ve listed, I’ve used and would consider good/great value for the money.
Best good luck with the build. Snag an armorers wrench at the gun show for 15 bucks next time you’re there.

Last edited by DustyArmadillo; 11/03/22 03:51 AM.
Re: Want to Build an AR - Need Help [Re: Bowhunt Only] #8725290 11/03/22 11:06 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
That's double the cost of a solid and reliable home built AR. For that much you should be able to have a decent optic.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Want to Build an AR - Need Help [Re: Bowhunt Only] #8725317 11/03/22 11:58 AM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
For reliability, get a quality adjustable gas block which will make it easier to make sure everything runs correctly.

Re: Want to Build an AR - Need Help [Re: Bowhunt Only] #8725342 11/03/22 12:36 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Good web site to shop.

They carry quality parts...not the air-soft crap you see at gun shows.

Rainier Arms

Re: Want to Build an AR - Need Help [Re: Bowhunt Only] #8725380 11/03/22 01:06 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
First of all, I assume you're asking for your own consideration. Let me know if you get serious. I'd be willing to let you borrow most, if not all, the tools you'll need to build one. That will help out with the cost.

I'll go a bit different, here's how i'd allocate the budget. Also, loosely based on Primary Arms pricing. Note they are located in the Houston area so you can go pick it up, including the lower with the transfer.
150 - 200 Receiver set, Aero Precision is where I would start
150 - 200 Trigger
30 - lower parts kits, no trigger or grip
20-40 - grip
70 - buffer tube kit, i like kits here
50-150 Stock, huger personal choice
100-200 handgaurd
300 - 400 Barrel
50 - 100 gas block, i'd go higher here for an adjustable
50 - 100 muzzle device
20 - gas tube
20 - upper parts kit
25 - 80 charging handle

I'm sure there is something I missed but that is roughly $1035 to $1610. Given your parameters and my tools, I think i'd be closer to about $1300.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Want to Build an AR - Need Help [Re: Bowhunt Only] #8725414 11/03/22 01:42 PM
B
BigDad Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
You need to decide what the intended use is, home/self defense, long range target shooting, plinking, small game hunting, medium/large game hunting, etc. That will impact a lot of your decisions regarding optics, accuracy, trigger, overall weight, caliber, barrel diameter/length, stocks, muzzle devices, etc.

Joe
Re: Want to Build an AR - Need Help [Re: Bowhunt Only] #8725438 11/03/22 02:08 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
I've built a LOT of AR's over my years and I always just seem to come back to the same components. BCM and DD stuff is nice, but at the end of the day their popularity is due to them being awarded government contracts. Of course the contract normally goes to the lowest bidder that can meet the criteria all of which is milspec stuff. The new parts that AERO and Strike Industries is putting out are top notch and, in my opinion, way ahead of the milspec stuff from other manufactures. Again, my opinion YMMV.

Upper/Lower set - Aero M4E1
Rail - Aero R-ONE 15"
Barrel - Ballistic Advantage/Aero 16" barrel
Gas Block - Aero Adjustable
Gas Tube - Aero Nitride
Charging Handle - Radian Raptor (SD Version if going to suppress)
BCG - AIM Surplus NIB
LPK - Strike Industries Enhanced LPK Minus grip and Fire Control Group
Trigger - CMC Single Stage Flat 2.5 pound
Grip - Magpul MOE-K grip (this is subjective, but this grip is smaller and fits my hand perfectly)
Buffer System - Aero Carbine Buffer Kit
Stock - B5 Systems Bravo Stock

With the left over money get an optic, ammo, and mags and practice.

[Linked Image]

Re: Want to Build an AR - Need Help [Re: KRoyal] #8725453 11/03/22 02:18 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by KRoyal
BCM and DD stuff is nice, but at the end of the day their popularity is due to them being awarded government contracts. Of course the contract normally goes to the lowest bidder that can meet the criteria all of which is milspec stuff.

Kyle is somewhat correct with this statement but also consider that the BCM and DD products have been put through extensive testing and used in a variety of adverse scenarios. YMMV

Re: Want to Build an AR - Need Help [Re: KRoyal] #8725478 11/03/22 02:43 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I've built a LOT of AR's over my years and I always just seem to come back to the same components. BCM and DD stuff is nice, but at the end of the day their popularity is due to them being awarded government contracts. Of course the contract normally goes to the lowest bidder that can meet the criteria all of which is milspec stuff. The new parts that AERO and Strike Industries is putting out are top notch and, in my opinion, way ahead of the milspec stuff from other manufactures. Again, my opinion YMMV.

Rail - Aero R-ONE 15"
Gas Tube - Aero Nitride
BCG - AIM Surplus NIB
Grip - Magpul MOE-K grip (this is subjective, but this grip is smaller and fits my hand perfectly)

Being the bolt action guy that I am, Kyle is one of the short list of people I ask questions about ARs. He knows a ton about them.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Want to Build an AR - Need Help [Re: J.G.] #8725499 11/03/22 03:14 PM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by J.G.

Rail - Aero R-ONE 15"
Gas Tube - Aero Nitride
BCG - AIM Surplus NIB

Being the bolt action guy that I am, Kyle is one of the short list of people I ask questions about ARs. He knows a ton about them.

I'm not mad at Kyle's list. Some of this is preference (like I would choose a Midwest Industries handguard over Aero), but the one thing I would change out is the BCG. My guns run dirty, and I've found that not only is Nickle Boron BCG required but I also find that only Wilson and LANTAC NIB BCGs will do for me

Re: Want to Build an AR - Need Help [Re: TLew] #8725531 11/03/22 03:51 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by TLew
Originally Posted by J.G.

Rail - Aero R-ONE 15"
Gas Tube - Aero Nitride
BCG - AIM Surplus NIB

I'm not mad at Kyle's list. Some of this is preference (like I would choose a Midwest Industries handguard over Aero), but the one thing I would change out is the BCG. My guns run dirty, and I've found that not only is Nickle Boron BCG required but I also find that only Wilson and LANTAC NIB BCGs will do for me

Agree a lot of my choices are just for an everyday shooter, not meant as a precision gun which is the reason I use the AIM BCG. Hard to beat a NiB or TiN BCG for around $100 bucks. Now if I were building a precision AR, it wouldn't be my choice, but I have bolt guns for that. I've not had any problem cleaning my NiB from AIMs, I run 100% suppressed and it gets dirty as hell as you probably know.

Almost all the choices on an AR is the shooters preference which is why I love ARs so much, they're so easy to tailor to the shooter. cheers

Thanks JG, its the exact reverse when I have a Bolt Gun question rofl

[Linked Image]

Re: Want to Build an AR - Need Help [Re: Bowhunt Only] #8725544 11/03/22 04:09 PM
H
howl Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
The WWSD project from youtube's InRange channel would be about it except I'd use an Aero M4E1 receiver set with MFT V2 grip and Rogers super stock. The barrel they used is light and doesn't drift much when hot. The trigger allows you to enage the safety on a down hammer. I have the ARs my kids use that way so there is no issue using the safety the same way all the time.

Re: Want to Build an AR - Need Help [Re: Bowhunt Only] #8725576 11/03/22 04:46 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Lots of good suggestions here. I like name brand components that are tested/proven vs. the latest upstart brands. Below are a few thoughts:

- Upper/Lower receivers - I've built with Aero, Mega, Seekins, Spikes, DPMS, Olympic and Anderson and have listed them in order of preference. The first three uppers were very square and needed the least amount of work. I do square all uppers.
- BCG - this is the most important part for reliability IMHO and NiB is the way to go. Choose a good/proven name brand (Fail Zero, BCM, Wilson, Aero, etc.).
- Barrel Chamber - Highly suggest a 223 Wylde chamber. Will shoot both .556 and .233 and will generally be more accurate than the .556.
- Barrel gas port - go with mid-length or rifle length. The short carbine length will be overgassed and not needed.
- Barrel Brand - Go with known major brands in the overall length and profile you desire. I've built, shot and reloaded using AR Performance (most accurate in my case), Seekins, Ballistic Advantage, Wilson, DPMS and ER Shaw. This is the most important part for accuracy.
- Gas Block - get one that is adjustable from the FRONT! I've used SLR (favorite), JP and Seekins.
- Trigger - this an area you do not want to skimp on. For single stage I've used Timney (preferred), CMC and Hyperfire. For two stage triggers I've used Rock River and Geissle (several models). Geissle are expensive for what you get. LaRue has an inexpensive two stage that gets great reviews but I have not tried one. Note: if you have big fingers, don't choose a flat trigger as there is not much room in the trigger guard.
- handguards - largely personal preference but pay attention to the method of mounting to the barrel nut. Cheap brands are...cheap.
- buffer tube, buffer and spring - mil-spec major brands. Upgraded springs (flat or JP) do seem to make a difference. You can go down the rabbit hole on buffers.
- stock and grip - largely personal preference but do go with a quality brand. Hard to beat Magpul.

Note the theme that I prefer proven name brands. Although I have not built with Wilson components, I would highly recommend them based on several friends that have had great luck. Also note, there is a difference in simply assembling vs. building for reliability. I always polish barrel feed ramps and chamber, square the upper receiver and polish a few other select items. Watch some YouTube videos from guys who set up competition rifles rather than just some guy in his garage.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide