Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Deer hunting years ago [Re: Jimbo] #8724318 11/02/22 04:23 AM
Texas452 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Funny how we killed a lot of deer without having to wear camo clothes, rifles with no telescopic sights, and usually you could find ammo anywhere in 30-06, 30-30, .243 that the local hardware store or some remote roadside beer joint had on the shelf.
No ATV's, side by sides, or jacked up pickup trucks.
The only modification on those pickup trucks was maybe a camper, but the most important was the rear window gun rack just about every truck had.
If you didn't, then you were sticking out like a sore thumb as being a city slicker.
Nobody would look with disgust if you drove down mainstreet in some of those small towns with your buck strapped across your hood or fender, (back when cars actually had them) and most looked on with admiration at that rack whether is was a six pointer, or big ten.
Yep, those days are long gone, and it's sad!

Grandpa would put a camper on his truck at the beginning of deer season and take it off when deer season was over.
2 lane hwy all the way back then.

Re: Deer hunting years ago [Re: Texas452] #8724351 11/02/22 10:14 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
The old ways also involved showing up Labor Day weekend to fill a feeder and never coming back after your tags were filled. I can recall square head "hunters" easily filling all their tags on opening weekend and never to come back until the next season.

Cannot fathom the firepit comments. We have two. One for cooking and one for the more important stuff. We bring in ample supplies of wood and that there fire roars every night. The success of the season is much more about what goes on at the fire pit than it is about the 64 deer we get to harvest. Our camp is set up with a central area where most choose to gather. Although I spend a lot of time out there, our camp has the "House Cats" and the "Outsiders". Our camp is set up so I can hunt a whole lot and actually enjoy the place when making the excuse to come back during the spring, summer & fall to fill feeders, mess around and/or whatever.

Some harken back to the ol' times as if it was some illustrious presentation of dignity, when it in fact, most were just young pups relishing the attention of adults. Trying to be an adult, thinking they were more adult like just because they were at deer camp. Rights of passage do have virtues. It was good back then and it can be good right now - only if you allow it to be that way.

Note to everyone - if you are not enjoying your current hunting experiences, consider upgrading who you hunt with. Just a thought.

Re: Deer hunting years ago [Re: Hudbone] #8724467 11/02/22 12:43 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by Hudbone

Some harken back to the ol' times as if it was some illustrious presentation of dignity, when it in fact, most were just young pups relishing the attention of adults. Trying to be an adult, thinking they were more adult like just because they were at deer camp. Rights of passage do have virtues. It was good back then and it can be good right now - only if you allow it to be that way.

Note to everyone - if you are not enjoying your current hunting experiences, consider upgrading who you hunt with. Just a thought.

Wow!
Modern deer camp = Just make more rules!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Deer hunting years ago [Re: Texas452] #8724483 11/02/22 01:01 PM
65x55 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
I love these threads, especially all the old pictures. I grew up deer hunting in the Jefferson National Forest in southwest Virginia, what a great place to learn to hunt.

Re: Deer hunting years ago [Re: Jimbo] #8724515 11/02/22 01:38 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H

Wow!

We have some. All were agreed to when implemented and then reviewed and agreed to when a new hunter gets on. Is that a big deal?

If you don’t want rules when participating with others, buy your own place.

Re: Deer hunting years ago [Re: txtrophy85] #8724526 11/02/22 01:51 PM
G
gary roberson Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I didn't grow up hunting in Gillespie county but I started hunting at the tail end of the "if its brown its down" era....where we still had old school deer camps.

I miss the atmosphere and comradery that deer camps afforded....those cannot be replicated today no matter how hard we try. I will say I don't miss the management attitudes that we had then where the meat pole was filled up with immature deer.....shooting a mountable deer for most folks was a once or twice in a lifetime deal due to the heavy harvest of young bucks. There was still some pause about shooting does in those days as well....it was still verboten in many camps I went to.

The thing I dislike the most about hunting today is the general overall douchery that surrounds deer hunting; everyone is an expert hunter, the hard swagger attitudes, the "I hunt deer so I'm a badass" guys are never ending. Running 24/7 surveillance on deer via trail cams, naming every single deer that you have on camera....the list goes on. None of that existed in any numbers back when I was coming up in the mid 90's to early 2000's

Hmmmmm...that about sums it up.
Adios,
Gary

Re: Deer hunting years ago [Re: Hudbone] #8724559 11/02/22 02:21 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

Wow!

We have some. All were agreed to when implemented and then reviewed and agreed to when a new hunter gets on. Is that a big deal?

If you don’t want rules when participating with others, buy your own place.

Or get on a lease that has zero rules - that always goes over well

You can't fix stupid
Re: Deer hunting years ago [Re: Jimbo] #8724574 11/02/22 02:35 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
No ATV's, side by sides, or jacked up pickup trucks.

ATV's are one of two things I wished had existed when I started hunting as kid back in the 70's. The other was the Little Buddy Heater. ATV's have made it much easier to get deer out of the woods and onto a meat pole, not to mention getting your setup equipment (deer stands, ground blinds, etc.) to their destination. And small, propane heaters make those cold, frosty mornings far more tolerable. GPS and cell phones would have been great to have back then as well. Being able to see (via online radar) when rain from a passing front should clear the area is another great advantage. Of course, those radar images can also make a warm bed a lot more attractive.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 11/02/22 03:07 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Deer hunting years ago [Re: Texas452] #8724596 11/02/22 02:58 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Ground blinds or just sitting against a tree were common methods back then. The BIG DEAL was you couldn't MOVE. On the camo- same thing. If you are younger you have been "Sold" on the absolute necessity of camo. I had this doe come in and simply didn't know what I was or knew what I was but couldn't figure out why I didn't move. Stamped its front hooves, walk about another 5 yards toward me, more foot stomping. Finally it was 10 feet away and I was afraid it would be in my lap so I winked at the thing. Turned inside out and bolted away. I had olive green army pants and a wool/flannel shirt of gray, brown, black. Back then folks would smoke a cork from a wine bottle and blacken their faces. I did use skunk essence. These "soft" flannel or wool shirts. I am convinced they are better than twill or regular camo type fabric.
And, yeah, I was the "kid" when I started so I got stuck cooking breakfast but I ended up being a pretty good short order breakfast chef. You name it, I cooked it. smile

Last edited by Dave Scott; 11/02/22 02:59 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide