Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Are Game Wardens Watching You? #8711085 10/17/22 07:11 PM
Tbar Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Are Game Wardens Watching You? – Part 1: The Case of the Hidden Trail Camera

What would you do if wardens planted a trail camera on your property to spy on you? Hunter Hollingsworth sued and won—and now game-law enforcement may never be the same

“Are Game Wardens Watching You?” is a three-part F&S exclusive. Here, in Part 1, we dive deep into the unlikely story of a private-land hunter who sued game wardens after they a planted trail camera on his property—and ultimately won in a state court. Should we see this as a victory for hunters—or as a threat to the North American model of conservation as we know it?

Imagine you go hunting one morning, on your own land, and you find a cellular trail camera that isn’t yours. Now imagine that the camera was obviously placed in such a way as to be entirely hidden from you—except for a hole cut through the brush so that it could surveil the comings and goings on your property.

You’d probably be creeped out and pull that camera down, right? That’s what Hunter Hollingsworth of Camden, Tennessee, did when he spotted an unknown trail camera pointed toward the gravel road through his family farm.

Then a few months later, he found his home surrounded by armed law-enforcement officers who threatened to kick his door down if he didn’t let them inside to search for the camera. This was just the beginning of a series of events that snowballed into a lawsuit that would eventually put a national spotlight on the near century-old practice of game wardens entering private land without a search warrant. The case would go on to fundamentally change how officers with the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency are able to do their jobs—and it could set precedents for similar cases in other states, too.

But no matter where you live and hunt, the Hunter Hollingsworth case—and the cases it continues to inspire—could ultimately decide whether you might one day find a camera hidden in your trees, or a game warden on your property without a warrant................

https://www.fieldandstream.com/conservation/tennessee-hunters-sue-game-wardens-trail-cameras/

Make America Great Again

Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: Tbar] #8711124 10/17/22 07:50 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
If I saw a game camera on my property that I nor anyone given access to had put up, I would be pissed. I would have taken it down too. And if I was being harassed like that, I would have been hot under the collar and would probably have taken similar actions...but, then again, I am not a habitual poacher.
The last paragraph of the article..."So, is Hunter Hollingsworth a hero? Were fish and wildlife officers harassing him over a personal vendetta? Of course, it’s not that simple. After days of poring over court records and time spent talking to him face to face, we learned that Hunter Hollingsworth has a long history of poaching, including during that very duck season when he found the camera. Wardens were watching him for a reason."
I would be pissed if they harrassed me like that, but then again, Game Wardens don't have reason to harrass me. I've been checked a few times over my lifetime, never have had an infraction. If someone has multiple poaching infractions, they aren't inadvertently breaking game laws. They are doing it on purpose and will probably continue to do so. Too bad he prevailed in this case.

Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: unclebubba] #8711136 10/17/22 08:01 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by unclebubba
If I saw a game camera on my property that I nor anyone given access to had put up, I would be pissed. I would have taken it down too. And if I was being harassed like that, I would have been hot under the collar and would probably have taken similar actions...but, then again, I am not a habitual poacher.
The last paragraph of the article..."So, is Hunter Hollingsworth a hero? Were fish and wildlife officers harassing him over a personal vendetta? Of course, it’s not that simple. After days of poring over court records and time spent talking to him face to face, we learned that Hunter Hollingsworth has a long history of poaching, including during that very duck season when he found the camera. Wardens were watching him for a reason."
I would be pissed if they harrassed me like that, but then again, Game Wardens don't have reason to harrass me. I've been checked a few times over my lifetime, never have had an infraction. If someone has multiple poaching infractions, they aren't inadvertently breaking game laws. They are doing it on purpose and will probably continue to do so. Too bad he prevailed in this case.

Guy sounds like a real POS, but that doesn't mean the wardens get to break the law.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8711153 10/17/22 08:15 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

Guy sounds like a real POS, but that doesn't mean the wardens get to break the law.

Did they? He lost in criminal court, but won in a civil lawsuit. If you get pulled over, and the police smell marijuana, then they have probable cause to search your vehicle. Did they have probably cause to search his property and post a camera? confused2

Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8711188 10/17/22 08:50 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D

^^^THIS^^^

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: Tbar] #8711273 10/17/22 10:24 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Typical article written by someone with little knowledge of case law.

The Supreme Court has upheld the use of technology as a substitute for ordinary police surveillance because it would be legal for the police to enter a private field to collect evidence, they concluded it must also be legal to install cameras there.

It's in the Open Fields Doctrine set by the SCOTUS.

Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: Tbar] #8711279 10/17/22 10:40 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Maybe next time he should walk up to it, smile and blast it with a shotgun.

Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: Tbar] #8711294 10/17/22 10:57 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
If I found some "trash" on my property it would get disposed of and when the man showed up I would play dumb. No idea what you're talking about.

Last edited by The Dude Abides; 10/17/22 11:00 PM.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: Tbar] #8711330 10/17/22 11:55 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I’d put about 50 $&@# pics on it. The guy was obviously a dirtbag so likely doesn’t even know how to find them with technology.

Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: Tbar] #8711762 10/18/22 02:24 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Why didn’t they just get a warrant for the camera?

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: Tbar] #8711857 10/18/22 03:50 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
We find them on a place I hunt in Laredo all the time. I think it's the Feds though.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8711918 10/18/22 04:39 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Why didn’t they just get a warrant for the camera?

Case law states they didn't need one.

Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: Tbar] #8712084 10/18/22 08:06 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I would say it is an invasion of privacy.
edit:
I wonder if that would fall under the 1st amendment. https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution-conan/amendment-1/invasions-of-privacy confused2

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: hook_n_line] #8712094 10/18/22 08:16 PM
T
TOM-M Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted by hook_n_line
We find them on a place I hunt in Laredo all the time. I think it's the Feds though.

CBP can pretty much put cameras anywhere they want to within 25 (I think that's correct) miles of the border.

Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: TCM3] #8712138 10/18/22 08:57 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by TCM3
edit:
I wonder if that would fall under the 1st amendment. https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution-conan/amendment-1/invasions-of-privacy confused2

It’s all right here to read. I’ve never been 100% on board with it but it is the law based on a SCOTUS decision.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-fields_doctrine

Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: ntxtrapper] #8712595 10/19/22 01:04 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
edit:

It’s all right here to read. I’ve never been 100% on board with it but it is the law based on a SCOTUS decision.

The Supreme Court has upheld the use of technology as a substitute for ordinary police surveillance because it would be legal for the police to enter a private field to collect evidence, they concluded it must also be legal to install cameras there.

It's not nearly that black and white, and none of the cases mentioned technology.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8712714 10/19/22 03:17 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
edit:

It's not nearly that black and white, and none of the cases mentioned technology.

Actually, it is that black and white from a criminal legal perspective. The original post was related to a civil court rather than a criminal court. Here is the current standard for all criminal courts.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...ras-on-private-property-without-warrant/

Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: ntxtrapper] #8713335 10/20/22 12:17 PM
Inge0071 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Actually, it is that black and white from a criminal legal perspective.

You misunderstand key legal distinctions.

Installing cameras on unfenced or public land is very different from fenced and/or private land. You need probable cause, at a minimum, to surveil an individual. In most cases, leos also need a warrant.

Pro Deo et patria
Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: unclebubba] #8713439 10/20/22 02:45 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
If I saw a game camera on my property that I nor anyone given access to had put up, I would be pissed. I would have taken it down too....I would be pissed if they harrassed me like that, but then again, Game Wardens don't have reason to harrass me. I've been checked a few times over my lifetime, never have had an infraction. If someone has multiple poaching infractions, they aren't inadvertently breaking game laws. They are doing it on purpose and will probably continue to do so. Too bad he prevailed in this case.

This to a T. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Don't do dumb sh!t and dumb sh!t won't happen.

Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: Inge0071] #8713896 10/21/22 01:21 AM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Inge0071

Installing cameras on unfenced or public land is very different from fenced and/or private land. You need probable cause, at a minimum, to surveil an individual. In most cases, leos also need a warrant.

Actually no. I conducted both electronic and physical surveillance for many years and sent countless criminals to both state and federal prison with the evidence I acquired. I posted links to some of the more common cases that are now established case law on the subject but I guess you didn't read them. Here is one specifically related to the installation of cameras on private property.

"A federal judge has ruled that police officers in Wisconsin did not violate the Fourth Amendment when they secretly installed cameras on private property without judicial approval.

The officers installed the cameras in an open field where they suspected the defendants, Manuel Mendoza and Marco Magana, were growing marijuana. The police eventually obtained a search warrant, but not until after some potentially incriminating images were captured by the cameras. The defendants have asked the judge to suppress all images collected prior to the issuance of the search warrant.

But in a Monday decision first reported by CNET, Judge William Griesbach rejected the request. Instead, he approved the ruling of a magistrate judge that the Fourth Amendment only protected the home and land directly outside of it (known as "curtilage"), not open fields far from any residence.

The Fourth Amendment protects "the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures." The court ruled that under applicable Supreme Court precedents, "open fields, as distinguished from curtilage, are not 'effects' within the meaning of the Fourth Amendment."

The property in question was heavily wooded, with a locked gate and "no trespassing" signs to notify strangers that they were unwelcome. But the judges found that this did not establish the "reasonable expectation of privacy" required for Fourth Amendment protection. In their view, such a rule would mean that (in the words of a key 1984 Supreme Court precedent) "police officers would have to guess before every search whether landowners had erected fences sufficiently high, posted a sufficient number of warning signs, or located contraband in an area sufficiently secluded to establish a right of privacy."

Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: ntxtrapper] #8714095 10/21/22 12:51 PM
Inge0071 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman

Actually no. I conducted both electronic and physical surveillance for many years and sent countless criminals to both state and federal prison with the evidence I acquired. I posted [a] link[s] to some of the more common cases that are now established case law on the subject but I guess you didn't read them.

Are you suggesting you conducted searches of private property without a warrant or probable cause, and those efforts served as a basis for convictions?

I read your article. This is Texas. We're in the 5th Circuit, not the 7th. We have strong protections for private property. While a game warden may enter private lands, your position is that he may REMAIN on fenced, private property in the form of a camera. This, without probable cause, reasonable suspicion, or a warrant.

I'd love to see a case that suggests that's the state of the law in Texas.

Pro Deo et patria
Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: Tbar] #8714301 10/21/22 05:27 PM
B
BenBob Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
If the game wardens are watching me, I am sure they are bored out of their gourd.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: Inge0071] #8714352 10/21/22 06:36 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

Actually no. I conducted both electronic and physical surveillance for many years and sent countless criminals to both state and federal prison with the evidence I acquired. I posted [a] link[s] to some of the more common cases that are now established case law on the subject but I guess you didn't read them.

Are you suggesting you conducted searches of private property without a warrant or probable cause, and those efforts served as a basis for convictions?

I read your article. This is Texas. We're in the 5th Circuit, not the 7th. We have strong protections for private property. While a game warden may enter private lands, your position is that he may REMAIN on fenced, private property in the form of a camera. This, without probable cause, reasonable suspicion, or a warrant.

I'd love to see a case that suggests that's the state of the law in Texas.

I'd love to see case law or legislation that that prevents Texas from being subject to the Open Fields Doctrine. Good luck proving that BTW. Mississippi, Montana, New York, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington are the only states in the U.S. that do not honor the Open Fields Doctrine. If you can’t read and understand this, it’s because you have no training or experience about arrest, search and seizure law.

Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: Inge0071] #8714546 10/22/22 12:00 AM
D
deerfeeder Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
D

I disagree, you do surveillance on an individual to build probable cause.

Re: Are Game Wardens Watching You? [Re: Tbar] #8714620 10/22/22 01:34 AM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
So if a property owner finds a camera on their property that they did not put there can they destroy or remove it?

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide