Print Thread
Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage #8698562 09/30/22 12:20 AM
D
DocHorton Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I'm wanting to have a batting cage built in my backyard for my son. Internet search isn't providing much help....anyone here have a referral for anyone who might do something like this?

Appreciate it.

Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: DocHorton] #8698574 09/30/22 12:35 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Oh boy. Youth baseball can take on a life of its own. You may have to stop hunting to have time. Good luck.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: freerange] #8698583 09/30/22 12:50 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted by freerange
Oh boy. Youth baseball can take on a life of its own. You may have to stop hunting to have time. Good luck.

My son plays fall and spring travel baseball and we still find time to hunt often.

Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: freerange] #8698592 09/30/22 12:57 AM
D
DocHorton Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Tell me about it....all 3 girls play volleyball and son plays baseball. We have 5 games this week. But, I love watching them play and wouldn't trade that time for anything.

Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: DocHorton] #8698596 09/30/22 01:00 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
If you can weld at all it would be a very easy job to do

Have a concrete man come and he will pour it to size

Set some plates in the concrete and run 2" square tubing and hang the net over it and zip tie the net to the 2"

Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: DocHorton] #8698601 09/30/22 01:02 AM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Doc...quick Google, came across this company.

Master Systems Courts

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: DocHorton] #8698693 09/30/22 02:36 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Real batting cages are awesome. I bought my youngest Son one of those net batting cages that use flexible poles staked to the ground, pitching machine on one end. It works, but not meant to be a permanent structure and setting it up/taking it down all the time is a pain. Especially solo.

Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: DocHorton] #8698726 09/30/22 03:16 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by DocHorton
I'm wanting to have a batting cage built in my backyard for my son. Internet search isn't providing much help....anyone here have a referral for anyone who might do something like this?

Appreciate it.

Two buddies that have them one built it him self other had someone. I’ll get the builders name tomorrow for you

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: GusWayne] #8698729 09/30/22 03:18 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by procraft05

Set some plates in the concrete and run 2" square tubing and hang the net over it and zip tie the net to the 2"

I don’t know, For an Arkansas boy he is kind of fancy roflmao

Just messing Doc

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: The Dude Abides] #8698747 09/30/22 03:48 AM
D
DocHorton Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
Doc...quick Google, came across this company.

Master Systems Courts

Thanks, but I already contacted them. They built our sports court but no longer do batting cages, unfortunately.

Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8698751 09/30/22 03:50 AM
D
DocHorton Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by procraft05

I don’t know, For an Arkansas boy he is kind of fancy roflmao

Just messing Doc

Lol! I have no welding skills at all, so I know this is not one of those things I can do myself.

Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8698752 09/30/22 03:50 AM
D
DocHorton Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Appreciate it.

Two buddies that have them one built it him self other had someone. I’ll get the builders name tomorrow for you

Thank you, Sir. cheers

Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: DocHorton] #8698860 09/30/22 12:34 PM
71Rcode Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
I have 2 boys that played Texas 6A HS baseball (as well as basketball and football at points throughout their HS years), with my younger son continuing on into D1 juco baseball. Some kids we've known with backyard cages have been amongst the first ones to quit baseball (age 13-14). Too much baseball pressure year round and they can't get away from it.

Its so important the kids play multiple sports each year and not baseball year round. The passion for the sport comes from getting away from it (limited fall ball) and missing it.

With that said, Doc, I truly wish your son the very best in his baseball career! You're a good dad.

Last edited by 71Rcode; 09/30/22 12:35 PM.

NRA Life Member & GOA Member
Always interested in Marlins. Let me know what you have for sale!
Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: freerange] #8698904 09/30/22 01:33 PM
C
Chopped54 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

No doubt...
This is my cousin's house. They bought the million dollar house beside them and tore it down and built a full field with cages, also have one inside the building behind their house-
[Linked Image]

Wealth is of the heart and mind and not of the pocket
Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: DocHorton] #8698907 09/30/22 01:34 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Appreciate it.

Thank you, Sir. cheers

Well I can’t say what he said about that guy, but he did say he had another one his buddy used

Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: DocHorton] #8699053 09/30/22 04:30 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
I know several dad's who built their own. One built one across his driveway in his backyard. He put up 4 tall metal fence posts in concrete on the 4 corners. He ran a strong wire long ways across the top. The netting was on a hook or karabiner and slid the length of the posts to create the cage. It worked well and we used it often at his house. It was easy to open it up and easy to close it when done.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: 71Rcode] #8699092 09/30/22 06:12 PM
D
DocHorton Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by 71Rcode
I have 2 boys that played Texas 6A HS baseball (as well as basketball and football at points throughout their HS years), with my younger son continuing on into D1 juco baseball. Some kids we've known with backyard cages have been amongst the first ones to quit baseball (age 13-14). Too much baseball pressure year round and they can't get away from it.

Its so important the kids play multiple sports each year and not baseball year round. The passion for the sport comes from getting away from it (limited fall ball) and missing it.

With that said, Doc, I truly wish your son the very best in his baseball career! You're a good dad.

Totally agree, I definitely will not pressure him. I just want a way for him to be able to play in the backyard, and for convenience, or for other kids to be able to come over and play. The neighbors already got tired of us hitting tennis balls over the fence, Lol.

We built a sports court for basketball, volleyball, and tennis, and it gets used a lot, so I'd like to have a cage for him.

Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: DocHorton] #8699390 10/01/22 02:33 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
We had a hanger at aero country the club paid for. It was utilized 6 days a week

[Linked Image]
Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: DocHorton] #8699456 10/01/22 10:44 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Personally, unless my kid was REALLY into baseball or showing signs of greatness I wouldnt waste the time and $ unless you just have time and $ to spare. Friend of mine played college ball and thought for sure his son was destined for greatness, but after 3-4yrs of baseball the kid decided he like music more and now they have an amazing batting cage that only gets used by dad to relieve stress. It was a complete waste and dad said he thinks the batting cage was too much and may have actually soured his son on baseballf. Its not like a pool, sports court, volleyball court where its easily a family thing or friends thing.

Here’s one thing you could try…..out of the blue tell him that the batting cage quote you got was $10k. Then ask him if he’d rather have the batting cage or $5k in cash or something else. That’ll tell you pretty quick which direction to take. We have a couple kids on our team that would choose batting cage immediately whereas my son would choose $5k worth of toys or candy bc baseball is just a side gig.

Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: DocHorton] #8699469 10/01/22 11:44 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I'd probably first invest in a Jugs pitching machine and use Coppell HS outdoor batting cages first. Those are probably unlocked most days after school and on weekends; may even be able to confirm that with the HS coach. The investment will be $2K or so vs many more and will give a good gauge on your son's true passion, interest and talent too. Lastly, some HOAs and towns may have ordinances on backyard structures and/or noise levels after certain times to keep in consideration as well, possibly on lighting too. Just some things to keep in mind.

Last edited by DQ Kid; 10/01/22 11:45 AM.
Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: DocHorton] #8699703 10/01/22 06:25 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
HOA wouldn't allow batting cage. So I converted formal dining/living area into batting cage with padding on floors, used HS field astro turf, nets, T's and also a Hit A Way system. He hit on his own mornings and nights. Chased those elite baseball tournaments fall, spring and summer all across the country, lessons in off seasons, on and on....There is Life after baseball and I wish I had some of that $$$$ back.

Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: Always ready 2 hunt] #8699762 10/01/22 08:18 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt
HOA wouldn't allow batting cage. So I converted formal dining/living area into batting cage with padding on floors, used HS field astro turf, nets, T's and also a Hit A Way system. He hit on his own mornings and nights. Chased those elite baseball tournaments fall, spring and summer all across the country, lessons in off seasons, on and on....There is Life after baseball and I wish I had some of that $$$$ back.

Yes sir, less than 3% play major college sports and less than .8% play professionally. As long as this is understood and accepted, it is what it is....

Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: DQ Kid] #8699794 10/01/22 09:43 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt

Yes sir, less than 3% play major college sports and less than .8% play professionally. As long as this is understood and accepted, it is what it is....

Yep. Lots of money is made on the kids/parents of these "elite/travel" teams. Perfect Game knows how to make money too like this.

Re: Looking for referral...Home Batting Cage [Re: DocHorton] #8700130 10/02/22 04:20 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
My neighbors have one and it’s annoying and loud

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide