Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: spacejunkie] #8698142 09/29/22 12:18 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Very sad stuff. Lots of misery.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: spacejunkie] #8698204 09/29/22 02:49 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Choices have consequences. Many appeared to have made the wrong choice. Sad but true.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: spacejunkie] #8698215 09/29/22 03:16 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
My friend that has a house in Naples only had some minor tree damage. She's busy trying to find out about her friends that live there year around, so far it's mostly flooded cars, but that's the people she can get a hold of. Cell service is spotty her neighbor had to drive a ways to get enough signal to text her.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: spacejunkie] #8698303 09/29/22 05:15 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Having lived in Florida and traveled 90% of it for business reasons back in the '70's ...when you hear that the approaching Hurricane is gonna do this or that, and go here or there ..... A. you don't NOT pay attention & B. you double the weather guesser's estimates of what's gonna happen where and when. BTDT and we got outta Dodge ASAP. OTOH we shoulda bought the house west of Daytona & east of the St Johns River and Orlando for cent's on the dollar by a bankrupted Builder, 7 years later had sold again for 5 times what I could have bought it for. In those days in the mid '70's Jacksonville was a disaster waiting to happen in more ways than just weather. and I was not gonna live in Jax no matter what.

The Federal guy who lived up stairs from us was tasked with surveying all of Duval County to see if it met Federal Standards to continue to receive Federal Funding for any projects. He stopped me one Friday evening as I had just rolled in from South Carolina and said meet me at the swimming pool with a 6 pak of beer in his hand ... we need to talk Big Time. First he asked when my wife was s'posed to deliver our 2nd child and could I afford to buy a house if I was gonna stay in Florida. ...with no mention of buying a house for the long term in Jax, as the apartment house had a 1 baby Rule , against Federal rules since they had taken Federal funding to build the project

Typical Federal guy -say as little as possible - then he said in the Monday newspaper he was going to publish his survey results on the front page....1. of the 400 acres of the CBD - Central Business District- his recommendation was to scrape it clean and start over, 2. Duval County had 3/4th's of the City & County's dept heads - City & County law enforcement & legal systems and school systems that were probably going to be indicted for Graft. . No school system in the County met State of Florida standards and no students from any Duval County school system would be accepted to any Florida State funded college or university, and finally it was his estimation that 75% to 85% of the Duval County dept head leaders would be convicted of graft and other illegal issues.

Before we moved out of state 10 months after the new baby was born, Duval County was reorganized into being the largest land holding County in the Florida, and finally met Federal standards, and so many dept heads were convicted of graft they had to double & triple up with the Honest dept heads doing double & triple duty.

I always liked Florida and made some good money down there, and had a future that looked bright and potentially long term ...but ever move back down there again ....doubtful 'cause I never would play the "Mordita" ( Little Bite ) graft payoff game necessary, based on the 1st time we lived there and I really doubt if anything has changed enough even now. Re: the condo collapse in Miami that killed lots of long term condo owners, is still too common for me.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: nsmike] #8698338 09/29/22 06:38 PM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Stub
Originally Posted by nsmike
I have a friend that has a winter home in Naples she's worried!

Although the eye of hurricane Ian came in directly over Ft Myers the worst part of a hurricane is just to the right side of the eye where the winds are blowing directly into the land and in this case it was Naples that got hammered the hardest especially with the storm surge.

If you have been keeping up with it, the back side of Ian pushed all of the water out of Tampa Bay for a short while.

My BIL from California bought a house about 6 months ago on the barrier island across from Englewood, FL and just finished having the whole house remodeled before they moved in a month ago. They fled to a friends place in S. Carolina, talking about terrible timing,

My evil MIL was suppose to spend Christmas at her sons place in FL this year, if his place is destroyed that means I will have to put up with her for one day.
You bet your azz I am hoping the BIL house is in great shape grin

My friend that has a house in Naples only had some minor tree damage. She's busy trying to find out about her friends that live there year around, so far it's mostly flooded cars, but that's the people she can get a hold of. Cell service is spotty her neighbor had to drive a ways to get enough signal to text her.

Glad your friends house had only minor damage.

The images of the eye that I was looking at yesterday when it came in were not nearly as defined as the one I just saw on FOX a short while ago.
What I thought I was seeing yesterday was the eye going directly over FT Meyers and that is why I thought Naples would bear the brunt which was not the case.
The eye came onshore just north of FT. Meyers which is why that area seems to have bit the bullet the hardest.

I will stop forecasting hurricane tracking as soon as Jerry Jones stops being the President/GM of the Cowboys laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Stub; 09/29/22 06:44 PM.

texas flag

Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: Jimbo1] #8698376 09/29/22 07:48 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Choices have consequences. Many appeared to have made the wrong choice. Sad but true.

You aren't wrong. If you choose to live along the coast you have to accept the fact that you could get your clock cleaned from time to time. Same thing for us in Tornado Alley. But no one should die in a hurricane with days upon days of warning before the event.

Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: WileyCoyote] #8698450 09/29/22 09:33 PM
G
Gringo Bling Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote
Having lived in Florida and traveled 90% of it for business reasons back in the '70's ...when you hear that the approaching Hurricane is gonna do this or that, and go here or there ..... A. you don't NOT pay attention & B. you double the weather guesser's estimates of what's gonna happen where and when. BTDT and we got outta Dodge ASAP. OTOH we shoulda bought the house west of Daytona & east of the St Johns River and Orlando for cent's on the dollar by a bankrupted Builder, 7 years later had sold again for 5 times what I could have bought it for. In those days in the mid '70's Jacksonville was a disaster waiting to happen in more ways than just weather. and I was not gonna live in Jax no matter what.

The Federal guy who lived up stairs from us was tasked with surveying all of Duval County to see if it met Federal Standards to continue to receive Federal Funding for any projects. He stopped me one Friday evening as I had just rolled in from South Carolina and said meet me at the swimming pool with a 6 pak of beer in his hand ... we need to talk Big Time. First he asked when my wife was s'posed to deliver our 2nd child and could I afford to buy a house if I was gonna stay in Florida. ...with no mention of buying a house for the long term in Jax, as the apartment house had a 1 baby Rule , against Federal rules since they had taken Federal funding to build the project

Typical Federal guy -say as little as possible - then he said in the Monday newspaper he was going to publish his survey results on the front page....1. of the 400 acres of the CBD - Central Business District- his recommendation was to scrape it clean and start over, 2. Duval County had 3/4th's of the City & County's dept heads - City & County law enforcement & legal systems and school systems that were probably going to be indicted for Graft. . No school system in the County met State of Florida standards and no students from any Duval County school system would be accepted to any Florida State funded college or university, and finally it was his estimation that 75% to 85% of the Duval County dept head leaders would be convicted of graft and other illegal issues.

Before we moved out of state 10 months after the new baby was born, Duval County was reorganized into being the largest land holding County in the Florida, and finally met Federal standards, and so many dept heads were convicted of graft they had to double & triple up with the Honest dept heads doing double & triple duty.

I always liked Florida and made some good money down there, and had a future that looked bright and potentially long term ...but ever move back down there again ....doubtful 'cause I never would play the "Mordita" ( Little Bite ) graft payoff game necessary, based on the 1st time we lived there and I really doubt if anything has changed enough even now. Re: the condo collapse in Miami that killed lots of long term condo owners, is still too common for me.
Ron

I had to read this twice to figure out what you're even rambling about. My parents have lived in Jacksonville for 21 years. As business owners and homeowners, they've never even been approached to pay bribes to anyone. You make it sound like old school Chicago or NJ, that's about as far from reality as is what's actually taking place in Duval these days.

Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: spacejunkie] #8698666 09/30/22 02:08 AM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Just saw a video of folks biching because a gas station in Ft Myers is out of gas. Why didn't they fill up every car BEFORE the damn storm like normal people? Not like they didn't have a freeking week to prepare.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: Jimbo1] #8698677 09/30/22 02:17 AM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Just saw a video of folks biching because a gas station in Ft Myers is out of gas. Why didn't they fill up every car BEFORE the damn storm like normal people? Not like they didn't have a freeking week to prepare.

Same reason you see people here during a tornado that don't heed
official warnings, then they don't have anything left but the flip flops
and shorts they were wearing when the tornado roared through
their neighborhood

Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: maximum] #8698736 09/30/22 03:31 AM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by maximum

Same reason you see people here during a tornado that don't heed
official warnings, then they don't have anything left but the flip flops
and shorts they were wearing when the tornado roared through
their neighborhood

Tornado? Really? Nobody gets a week to prepare for a tornado, often just minutes.🤦‍♂️

Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: spacejunkie] #8698746 09/30/22 03:46 AM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
There are some storm prep basics that are universal, Keep some cash, at least a weeks worth of food, a go bag if you have to evacuate. Think about what a week without electricity would require plan for it.

Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: spacejunkie] #8698900 09/30/22 01:30 PM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
My brother in-law's house is on S. Casey Key Rd Nokomis, FL. on the barrier island facing the gulf. They were about 26 miles north of direct impact and only suffered minor damage from some trees down. Their house was on the backside of the storm where the wind was blowing into the gulf fortunately, their house is okay and they will host Christmas dinner for their mom, my MIL clap

Last edited by Stub; 09/30/22 01:35 PM.

texas flag

Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: Stub] #8698929 09/30/22 01:55 PM
M
MeanGreen85 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
My brother in-law's house is on S. Casey Key Rd Nokomis, FL. on the barrier island facing the gulf. They were about 26 miles north of direct impact and only suffered minor damage from some trees down. Their house was on the backside of the storm where the wind was blowing into the gulf fortunately, their house is okay and they will host Christmas dinner for their mom, my MIL clap

banana congrats! Lol

Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: Stub] #8698993 09/30/22 02:56 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
...they will host Christmas dinner for their mom, my MIL clap

Lucky dog. My elderly MIL, now a widow, is always here, every Thanksgiving and Christmas, with the very first signs of dementia showing up now. She always was an extremely selfish and self-absorbed person. I try to remind myself of what a jacked-up childhood she had. She's always wanted to "hold court" talking. But now she repeats the same thing 3 times in just a few minutes...and it's absolute babbling, non-stop, without hardly taking a breath. She doesn't hear, nor really care to listen to anyone else. I have to walk outside.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: spacejunkie] #8699273 09/30/22 11:18 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Kameltoe said the govt will be providing help based on equity to low income and people of color. What a racist POS!

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: spacejunkie] #8700226 10/02/22 08:43 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Just saw on FOX news that Florida Power & Light is saying they expect to have all power restored to the hardest hit Lee County by COB Tuesday. That is after Ian knocked out 100% of that county on Thursday. I'd say that's a great job by all the linemen working there. Kudos!

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: Jimbo1] #8700252 10/02/22 09:29 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Just saw on FOX news that Florida Power & Light is saying they expect to have all power restored to the hardest hit Lee County by COB Tuesday. That is after Ian knocked out 100% of that county on Thursday. I'd say that's a great job by all the linemen working there. Kudos!

Yes, sir! Bravo zulu! up

P.S. And not a single one of those lineman trucks runs on electricity either. clap

[Linked Image]
Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: Jimbo1] #8700293 10/02/22 10:16 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef

That is incredibly fast! We were without power for 2 1/2 to 3 weeks here after Harvey.

Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: spacejunkie] #8700599 10/03/22 03:07 AM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
They had hundreds of outside line crews staged in Georgia before the storm hit. Here in MN I saw a convoy of Asplunth Tree Service trucks heading south. I don't know were they were going but there were five trucks heading south. They are nationwide and do a lot of power line clearing commercially

Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: nsmike] #8700634 10/03/22 10:18 AM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
They had hundreds of outside line crews staged in Georgia before the storm hit. Here in MN I saw a convoy of Asplunth Tree Service trucks heading south. I don't know were they were going but there were five trucks heading south. They are nationwide and do a lot of power line clearing commercially

The company's name is Asplundh and the only reason I know that is that I worked for them right out of high school trimming trees away from the power lines for Dallas Power & Light (DP&L),
I then went to work for DP&L. Been shocked a few times while trimming those trees away from the power lines.

texas flag

Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: spacejunkie] #8701308 10/04/22 01:57 AM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Well crap, now they're saying maybe 30 days for power to be restored to Ft. Meyers.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: Jimbo1] #8701318 10/04/22 02:02 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Well crap, now they're saying maybe 30 days for power to be restored to Ft. Meyers.

That is not on the linemen if that is the case.

[Linked Image]
Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: Bee'z] #8701322 10/04/22 02:10 AM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by HoneyBeez

Just local govt officials opening their yaps.

Last edited by Jimbo1; 10/04/22 02:11 AM.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Ian looks nasty [Re: Jimbo1] #8701347 10/04/22 03:01 AM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted by HoneyBeez

Just local govt officials opening their yaps.

It depends on the damage, when long sections of line have all the poles snapped, it takes awhile. When the poles are okay restringing wire goes pretty fast. My friend got power back to her house in naples this morning.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide