Print Thread
FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE #8696051 09/26/22 03:14 PM
L
Landdrake Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
L
Got chosen for second draw on this one today. Cant find any forums really on it. anyone got some helpful information for this one?

“All men die; few men ever really live.”
Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: Landdrake] #8696100 09/26/22 04:36 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Congrats on the draw! I hunted there but it was years ago. It was by assigned blind. Have fun on the hunt.

Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: Landdrake] #8696127 09/26/22 05:16 PM
E
elvisp_bucks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
My friend went there on a youth hunt in the last few years. They shot their limit of 2 does in the first 30 minutes. They were very happy with this hunt

Jason
Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: Landdrake] #8697664 09/28/22 05:30 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Make sure you eat at Sam's in Fairfield - south from the Parks main gate at least one time while your'e down here. Biggest and best place to eat in town.

If you need ammo or ? something gun related ...I 've never been in the local Fairfield gun store. I use the guy in Buffalo almost next door to the Brookshire Bro's grocery store about a 1/4 mile east from I-35 on the north side of the street. I've known this guy and his pretty wife Janette for over 30 years and helped them get into business waaaaay back when I was repping gun & fishing stuff for a Dallas Wholesaler.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: Landdrake] #8697759 09/28/22 07:38 PM
P
Pappashack Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
I will second the eat at Sams. Even the breakfast buffet has chicken fried steak on it ever day. Wife and I stop there twice a month for 7 years now. And we call a head and order us a coconut pie to go. Or a pan of peach cobbler. Man I am hungry now lol

Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: Landdrake] #8697913 09/28/22 11:43 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
HAHAHAHA....and I thought I was looking for an excuse to go over there by myself .... LOL
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: Landdrake] #8700946 10/03/22 05:36 PM
L
Landdrake Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
L
thanks for the information.

and I defiantly will be going to Sam's. its great when people give food recommendations along with hunting recommendations

Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: WileyCoyote] #8701265 10/04/22 12:55 AM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote
Make sure you eat at Sam's in Fairfield - south from the Parks main gate at least one time while your'e down here. Biggest and best place to eat in town.

If you need ammo or ? something gun related ...I 've never been in the local Fairfield gun store. I use the guy in Buffalo almost next door to the Brookshire Bro's grocery store about a 1/4 mile east from I-35 on the north side of the street. I've known this guy and his pretty wife Janette for over 30 years and helped them get into business waaaaay back when I was repping gun & fishing stuff for a Dallas Wholesaler.
Ron

Actually his name is Archie and the Highway is I-45, I-35 is in Waco.

Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: Pappashack] #8701740 10/04/22 08:37 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Pappashack
I will second the eat at Sams. Even the breakfast buffet has chicken fried steak on it ever day. Wife and I stop there twice a month for 7 years now. And we call a head and order us a coconut pie to go. Or a pan of peach cobbler. Man I am hungry now lol

Ill say times 3. They had some great pies as well.

Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: Landdrake] #8701768 10/04/22 09:20 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
FYI-heard yesterday that Fairfield Lake State park will be closed for good Jan. 1, 2023

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: Landdrake] #8702301 10/05/22 04:17 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Oh Wow ....dunno why I'm surprised though. Greg the guy that owns the Resale shop in Palestine we work out of, has many many stories about Fairfield from his days with a family connection to management in those days. I was really kinda hoping the guy in the wife's family would take an interest, and can afford it, but bought land out of state we'll never see somewhere else.
Ron

Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: Landdrake] #8702306 10/05/22 04:26 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Hmm ...with hunt dates for FFSP as posted in the TPW list of 1/2/23 - 1/4/23 could be a land rush office effort to get everything closed down & any stray shooters still trying to score addressed.

Oh Well there goes my plans for a Standby effort since I got skunked on the last of the drawings.
Ron

Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: fishdfly] #8702856 10/06/22 01:34 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Yup on the update minutia corrections to my post with everything going on at my house....and why my all of my doc's watch me like a hawk, but your turn will come.

I've known Archie Van Wey a long time, even from before he went out on his own, when he was still working outside the business, and he moved into the building he's in now and back then used the big room to the right of the cash register as an indoor archery range. So it's common for me to make mistakes from time to time.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 10/06/22 01:34 PM. Reason: clarity

Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8702932 10/06/22 03:13 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Snake, with the info about FFSP closing on Jan1st I think it was, and the Hunt was scheduled to run from Jan 1 - Jan 3rd I think it was. My ? is do you know or can you find out if the FFSP officials will have a Stand By offering for anybody who wants to take advantage of any No Shows? Or "A" are they going to lock everything down on Jan1st totally except the Drawn Hunters tags? ....or "B" is it possible they will cancel the Hunt entirely, or "C" if the hunt is canceled entirely I would "Assume " TPW would refund the $'s already paid in someday or is it possible to use those $'s for next year's Hunt's? .

I did not put in for but a small handful of Tags this year with the level of Shingles I had at the time since I could barely walk, even assisted, then 2-3 months later I got off wheel chair & the walker and had to learn to drive left footed unassisted as from my right foot to my right hip & lower back is /was filled with blood clots & almost totally numb.

As of the last week or so I am making enough progress to be able to reach almost normal activity, and this week it is looking more and more physically viable to be able to go on a SP Hunt alone, and have a spinal tap scheduled for mid next month which is the final step to becoming normal or as close as possible .

Any info on FFSP you can find would be appreciated.
Ron

Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: WileyCoyote] #8702967 10/06/22 04:51 PM
S
salth2o Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote
Snake, with the info about FFSP closing on Jan1st I think it was, and the Hunt was scheduled to run from Jan 1 - Jan 3rd I think it was. My ? is do you know or can you find out if the FFSP officials will have a Stand By offering for anybody who wants to take advantage of any No Shows? Or "A" are they going to lock everything down on Jan1st totally except the Drawn Hunters tags? ....or "B" is it possible they will cancel the Hunt entirely, or "C" if the hunt is canceled entirely I would "Assume " TPW would refund the $'s already paid in someday or is it possible to use those $'s for next year's Hunt's? .

I did not put in for but a small handful of Tags this year with the level of Shingles I had at the time since I could barely walk, even assisted, then 2-3 months later I got off wheel chair & the walker and had to learn to drive left footed unassisted as from my right foot to my right hip & lower back is /was filled with blood clots & almost totally numb.

As of the last week or so I am making enough progress to be able to reach almost normal activity, and this week it is looking more and more physically viable to be able to go on a SP Hunt alone, and have a spinal tap scheduled for mid next month which is the final step to becoming normal or as close as possible .

Any info on FFSP you can find would be appreciated.
Ron

The page for that hunt shows "Standby's may be available"

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/public_hunt_drawing/hunt-area-details.phtml?OArea=FS

Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: salth2o] #8703141 10/06/22 10:49 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
S, Thanks for the update. Got some free time, mebbe before the end of the month and a hyper serious Dr's appt late in the month, but will try and visit FFSP in person and see what a Standby Hunter will be up against to get drawn. It will be interesting to see some other places as well as the season develops and check out the chances for a Stand By Hunt after all.
Ron

Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: SnakeWrangler] #8762306 12/20/22 03:30 AM
L
Lone_Wolf Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
FYI-heard yesterday that Fairfield Lake State park will be closed for good Jan. 1, 2023

You got bad info, the sale fell through

Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: Landdrake] #8772303 01/02/23 08:13 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Oh wow the lightning that just hit super close to the house sounds like it hit one of the 150'er Pine trees in my back yard and knocked me off line. Any closer than that and I'll be able to introduce my self and shake hands with St Peter in person.

Lone Wolf, that's great news. I'm still not doing much walking yet but the shingles infection is finally, but still slowly, being knocked down, and all the 2nd'airy infections are coming under control. I'll check it out as FFSP is not out of the way but only about 20 minutes off 287, and we have been hitting homeruns in Corsicana from a long term antique shop downtown on Beaton where the owner is retiring , and I use the Dr's at the Clinic, across the parking lot from the Hospital regularly to fight my rotted skin issues from the Shingles and a long term Skin Cancer elimination program.
I am gonna Hunt something somewhere next Season ....there have been so many White Tails hit by truck traffic here in Palestine I probably could pick up all the venison I wanted on the Loop or on Hwy 19 'tween the Palestine Loop and Athens I could start a BBQ shop too.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 01/02/23 08:18 PM. Reason: clarity

Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: Landdrake] #8776955 01/09/23 05:03 PM
L
Landdrake Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
L
welp only saw one pack of pigs and shot one on the first night rest of the time I didn't see anything

Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: Landdrake] #8810106 02/28/23 10:46 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Congrats to those that got to hunt it the last time. After 50 years it is gone. Done deal.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/not...tate-park-from-permanent-closure-failed/

Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: Landdrake] #8810881 03/02/23 12:20 AM
Z
Z71nTexas Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Z
what a shame to see this park go this way...it was one of our favorites.

Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: Landdrake] #8830225 04/07/23 08:39 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Recently I overheard a piece of a conversation standing in line at Kroger's about FFSP. Something to the effect that TPW was going to take over again and be "open again". I can never pry the Better Half off the computer to chase rumors. Can anybody confirm "anything" ??? for this next season.

This On Again/Off Again is getting really old. Yes I would stand in line to get drawn for a slot if no other reason than memories from the old days. I'm running out of time...
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 04/07/23 08:42 PM. Reason: badddd spaeling

Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: Landdrake] #8830668 04/08/23 09:43 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Hey Ron,

Here is something I found:

https://therealdeal.com/texas/2023/04/03/1bresort-revealed-for-fairfield-state-park/

Based on this article it seems unlikely that it will be reopening.

Re: FAIRFIELD LAKE SP GUN DEER - ANTLERLESS/SPIKE [Re: Landdrake] #8838919 04/23/23 04:09 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Erny,
That's too bad for lots of reasons, Thanks for the update.

The guy we have had our Resale Shop Stuff in his shop for the last 6 years here in Palestine in the original Blake Furniture Shop on Hwy 79 just inside the Loop, was married to a lady who had been some sort of Manager at FFSP back in the day, and he'd get off from his gig at one of the nearby Texas State prisons earlier than she did, and wait for her to get off by fishing a favorite spot for catfish. Sez killer catfish come from there too, and miss'es it.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 04/23/23 04:11 PM. Reason: spealling

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide