Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Two Thursday Boars with Thermal #8695525 09/25/22 06:50 PM
Geedubya Online Content OP
Bird Dog
OP Online Content
Bird Dog
Perforating hoglets is my passion. Supressed thermal is a game changer IMHO.

Went to my lease near Reagan Wells last Tuesday. Got three good boars and a Gray fox. All in all a good trip!

Sig Cross, 308 Win, 150 Gr. Norma Soft Points. Dead Air Nomad 30 Suppressor, Bering Optics Super-Yoter

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw Blood
Re: Two Thursday Boars with Thermal [Re: Geedubya] #8695529 09/25/22 06:52 PM
Bird Dog
OP Online Content
Bird Dog
PS: Being a newbie I do not have the hang of everything.

If this is the wrong forum to post these vids, please let me know!

Thanx,

GWB

Re: Two Thursday Boars with Thermal [Re: Geedubya] #8695797 09/26/22 03:17 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Cool videos and nice shooting. I see you have a video up with the super hogster as well. How much better is the yoter? I have a super hogster and am considering upgrading

Re: Two Thursday Boars with Thermal [Re: Sewer rat] #8695953 09/26/22 01:33 PM
Bird Dog
OP Online Content
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
Cool videos and nice shooting. I see you have a video up with the super hogster as well. How much better is the yoter? I have a super hogster and am considering upgrading

Not trying to obfuscate, but, I am just an old fart that likes to snare, trap and perforarte hoglets.

Have ya' heard what the ‘Old Lady that P'eed in the river said when asked why she did? Her retort was "ever little bit helps".

About a year ago I was contemplating what the ‘Old Lady “said when considering upgrading from the SH to the SY.

I looked “at that time” the latest iRay model, vs. the Pulsar Trail XP50 and the Super Yoter. Education is costly, and it is hard to afford “hands-on” knowledge. I was familiar with the Bering Optics Hogster and after due deliberation and conversations with a couple thermal vendors in regard to native magnification, quality of image, warranty, and durability, I chose the Super Yoter.

BTW, I'm probably not the guy to answer technical questions, so rather than trying to re-create the wheel, here are a couple links that will do a much better job by which to answer your technical questions......

From Night Goggles……..

The main differences of the Super Yoter (SY) compared to the Super Hogster (SH):
• Better Overall Image (640 vs 384 resolution): The image quality difference is even greater through the eyepiece than shows on the video. The SH image is good, but the SY is great.
• Digital Zoom: Less pixilation on digital zoom: You can digitally zoom to 2x, 3x or 4x for a total magnification of 12x.
• Larger FOV: While retaining a 3x base magnification, the SY FOV is 8.5°x 6.4° vs 7.5°x 5.7° on SH. It doesn't seem like a lot but it is noticeable.
• Storage: Double the video/image storage capacity on the SY: 32GB vs 16GB
• LaRue QR Mount: The SY will come standard with the LaRue QR mount.
• Background Balance: The SY includes 2 balance options of Cool or Warm.
• Smaller Zero Adjustments: The SY can be zeroed at 1x, 2x, 3x, and 4x zoom. This allows the SY to have zero adjustments < .2″ compared to .67″ on a SH.
• Increased Range: The combination of a more precise zero along with a clearer digitally zoomed image should extend the range of the SY further than the SH.
• Adjustable Stadiametric Height: This feature allows changing the height for any of the 4 animal types.
• Range Marks: This is a new feature allowing a height and range/distance setting. The marks show in association with your reticle and will show you the pre-defined height measurement at the pre-defined distance. Great for point blank range verification.

https://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/thermal/bering-optics-super-yoter-r-640-12um-3-12x50mm/

and from this THF website……….

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...optics-super-yoter-r-thermal#Post8382346

As a coda, I started with the ATN night vision, HD2 and HDPro. I still use the HD Pro as it is easy to stream wi-fi to my tablet and watch a fixed location for several hours at a time. My first thermal was the PST 233, which I still have. currently do hot have it on a rifle.
From there it was the Super Hogster, which I am now using as a thermal scanner rather than as a weapon sight.

The Super hogster is a 384, 12 micro unit. I wanted a 680, 12 micron unit. The one I purchased is the SY R 3.0-12 x 50 unit.

One thing that I do not think was mentioned in either of the above references is that it seems to me that, even though I run them both with the "Auto NUC" option, the degradation of the image is much more noticible on the Super Hogster before 'NUCing than with the Super Yoter.

After using the Yoter, and I’ve not looked back. In retrospect, given the choice I’d do the Yoter vs. the Hogster 11 times out of 10.
YMMV!

Ya!

GWB

Last edited by Geedubya; 09/26/22 01:50 PM.

Re: Two Thursday Boars with Thermal [Re: Geedubya] #8695966 09/26/22 01:52 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Thank you. I ordered one. Hopefully I will be posting some videos like yours before too long.

Re: Two Thursday Boars with Thermal [Re: Sewer rat] #8695974 09/26/22 02:00 PM
Bird Dog
OP Online Content
Bird Dog
There is a learning curve. I'm much more comfortable each time I use the optic. Two weeks ago I sat out and shot another good boar, but I still get exited and forgot to turn on the video record function. LOL
PM forthcoming.

Best,

GWB

Re: Two Thursday Boars with Thermal [Re: Geedubya] #8695998 09/26/22 02:27 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I've used my buddy's 'yoter a few times now, and it's an amazing piece of equipment IMO. Haven't recorded anything yet, just smacked a few dozen hogs.

Re: Two Thursday Boars with Thermal [Re: Geedubya] #8696044 09/26/22 03:08 PM
R
red stick Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
The way I hunt I'd be changing batteries three times a night with the SY. I'm looking to upgrade from my Pulsar XQ50 Trail but spoiled with the 20 hour battery I'm running. The SY will be in the running when they get the battery life up to eight hours or so.

Re: Two Thursday Boars with Thermal [Re: red stick] #8696073 09/26/22 03:53 PM
Bird Dog
OP Online Content
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by red stick
The way I hunt I'd be changing batteries three times a night with the SY. I'm looking to upgrade from my Pulsar XQ50 Trail but spoiled with the 20 hour battery I'm running. The SY will be in the running when they get the battery life up to eight hours or so.

You have a valid observation. I think I get about 2 hours out of a cr123A Surefire battery. However I've invested in an external battery w/rail adapter and connector cable that I use on extended outings.

Not to be snarky, however, not even considering the cost of a trespass lease, firearm, optic, ammo, and habitation, for a 3 nite stay, it typically costs me $300 to $500 per trip for gas, groceries, adult beverages and corn. Spending $5-$10 per night as an additonal expense for batteries, for me, is/was not a deal killer. YMMV.

Best,

GWB

Re: Two Thursday Boars with Thermal [Re: Geedubya] #8696117 09/26/22 05:00 PM
R
red stick Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted by Geedubya

You have a valid observation. I think I get about 2 hours out of a cr123A Surefire battery. However I've invested in an external battery w/rail adapter and connector cable that I use on extended outings.

Not to be snarky, however, not even considering the cost of a trespass lease, firearm, optic, ammo, and habitation, for a 3 nite stay, it typically costs me $300 to $500 per trip for gas, groceries, adult beverages and corn. Spending $5-$10 per night as an additonal expense for batteries, for me, is/was not a deal killer. YMMV.

Best,

GWB

I know what you're saying but it's strictly about the convenience. I run an external battery on my handheld and don't want to use one on a scope.

Re: Two Thursday Boars with Thermal [Re: red stick] #8696125 09/26/22 05:11 PM
Bird Dog
OP Online Content
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by Geedubya

Best,

GWB

I know what you're saying but it's strictly about the convenience. I run an external battery on my handheld and don't want to use one on a scope.

[Linked Image]

10/4

Thanx for the courteous reply.

Best,

GWB

Re: Two Thursday Boars with Thermal [Re: Geedubya] #8696208 09/26/22 06:56 PM
R
red stick Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Very nice setup. Certainly enough firepower when that 450 # boar walks out on you. lol And I thought the landscape looked familiar as I use to visit my buddies lease near Sonora until he went to the happy hunting grounds after a four wheeler accident. I understand your passion. Bought my first thermal at 70 four years ago and can't get enough. I'm an old shift worker so late nights is right up my alley. The wife loves it too because she can binge on netfiix while I'm gone.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vpWeCJQmPuBcRVFL7

Re: Two Thursday Boars with Thermal [Re: Geedubya] #8696229 09/26/22 07:34 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Well you got the Cadillac of optics on a sweet looking rig - what’s not to like !

Those pigs were mighty comfortable , makes shooting fun when you can be picky about the shot .

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Two Thursday Boars with Thermal [Re: red stick] #8696245 09/26/22 07:53 PM
Bird Dog
OP Online Content
Bird Dog
Very nice setup. Certainly enough firepower when that 450 # boar walks out on you. lol And I thought the landscape looked familiar as I use to visit my buddies lease near Sonora until he went to the happy hunting grounds after a four wheeler accident. I understand your passion. Bought my first thermal at 70 four years ago and can't get enough. I'm an old shift worker so late nights is right up my alley. The wife loves it too because she can binge on netfiix while I'm gone.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vpWeCJQmPuBcRVFL7

10/4 on the Wife.

I'll be married 44 years to the same woman this year. I tend to go to my lease at least once a month, sometimes more. Last week I got there on Tuesday and left on Saturday. Usually stay 3 to 4 nights.

Folks ask, 'Geedub', how do you get to hunt so much.

I tell them that I learned how early on. When I go out of town hunting, I leave my darlin' bride with a pile of cash, three high balance credit cards that have low balances, and have either a taxi service or Uber on stand-by to pick her up from her boyfriends' within 30 minutes of the time she calls. Seems she never minds how much I hunt!

ya!

GWB

Re: Two Thursday Boars with Thermal [Re: Geedubya] #8696453 09/27/22 12:40 AM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
How do you like the cross? How is the accuracy?

Re: Two Thursday Boars with Thermal [Re: scottfromdallas] #8696463 09/27/22 12:58 AM
Bird Dog
OP Online Content
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
How do you like the cross? How is the accuracy?

Howdy Scott!

Short answer, I try never to let the perfect be the enemy of the good, but it is almost perfect for the intended purpose for which it was purchased. I like it very much. Over the last six weeks I"ve been to my lease three times and sat out at night for hogs. I've a number of rifles from which to choose, but have used the Sig Cross exclusively.

I wanted a light, compact, ACCURATE, bolt action rifle chambered for the 308 Winchester, that had a 16" barrel and was threaded for a suppressor and the ability to mount optics,1913 pic rails, adapters for batteries, and Arca-Swiss tripod supports and a good factory trigger. That is not an easy combo to come by. The Cross fills that bill. With a 7" suppressor, that gives an OAL barrel length of 23". Perfect for stand or ground blind use.

The only two things that I remotely dislike are that the stock has to be folded to remove the bolt for cleaning the barrel and that the detachable magazine extends below the line of the barrel, but what the hey!

As to accuracy.....

When checking out the Sig, I had heard, that at least in the 308 Win chambering, it could be temperamental when it came to the ammo the rifle liked. I had been given bunch of factory ammo a while back and had as of late been using the 150 gr. Winchester Power Points in my Browning X-Bolt. IIRC I tried four different factory loads. The Norma 150 Gr. soft points turned out to be the Schizz.

[Linked Image]

IIRC that was 3 shots @ 100 yds.

I very seldom shoot at more than 120 yds. and I consider that "minute of hoglet"

ya!

GWB

Re: Two Thursday Boars with Thermal [Re: Geedubya] #8696529 09/27/22 02:31 AM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Thanks Geedub. Those are the things that interest me. You think there would be a plethora of 6.5 lb 16” threaded bolt actions but there isn’t much out there. I have a Puslar Core RXQ30 on a 6.8 upper. It’s sighted in but I have yet to use the thermal for hunting. I need to get out there this year and try it out. I have a Q Trash Panda suppressor. I’ve used the suppressor a lot.

Re: Two Thursday Boars with Thermal [Re: scottfromdallas] #8696562 09/27/22 03:19 AM
Bird Dog
OP Online Content
Bird Dog
When I was searching I found a number of factory offerings of bolt action rifles with 16" to 16.5" barrel length. The problem was, there were none available in stock at the time I was looking.

I even went to the trouble to have J.Sipp Customs make a 16.5" barrel for a Blaser R93. Had them do a rail and a 5/8" x 24tpi threaded barrel, cap and brake in 308 Win. about the same time I was distracted by the Sig and its ease of being accessorized.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

Last edited by Geedubya; 09/27/22 03:22 AM.

Re: Two Thursday Boars with Thermal [Re: Geedubya] #8696688 09/27/22 12:41 PM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Blaser is nice. Winchester has an XPR Stealth TB that is 6.5 lbs and 16.5” on their website. I’ve never seen one in stock anywhere online. It’s even listed in variety of calibers. Give the popularity growth of suppressors, the gun manufactures are missing out.

https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/xpr/current/xpr-stealth-suppressor-ready.html

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide